PS5 Slim model to arrive late this year for $399 according to MS from FTC! (Not related to FTC itself)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56219 Posts

Well it's about time we hear something about the Slim model. I'll just highlight what to expect:

We know that Sony is reportedly working on a PS5 slim console. The PlayStation 5 model D, as it is codenamed, doesn’t include a disc drive and is lighter and thinner at the same time. The console reportedly includes an extra USB C port at the back of the unit where users can plug in a PS5 disc drive and use it on the device.

While these details haven’t changed in about a year now, Microsoft claims that Sony will launch the PS5 Slim in 2023. According to documents from the latest hearing, the company says that the PlayStation 5 Slim is expected to release “later this year”. Microsoft says the console is going to cost $399.99. Of course, the paragraph isn’t meant to reveal the console but more shed light on the various price points in the industry.

Link: The PS5 Slim slightly rumored

From the looks of it, gamers will be able to use external disk drive for physical games. What this means is, with the extra USB C port, users can plug their PS5 disc drive and use it on the device aka Blu-Ray drive.

I'm more of a digital gamer, and I've been waiting for a slim model for awhile now but decided to get the regular PS5 last year anyway. If the Slim does look good in my eyes, I'll consider a purchase and trade in my regular PS5. So will you be purchasing the Slim model my fellow gamers? I don't expect to to see a Pro at the very least anytime soon. If there was going to be one, it would have been share by MS FTC...at least I think so🤷‍♂️

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts

What is the source MS is using?

How does this help their case at all? I dont get the point of MS speculating this.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

There's already a discless PS5 for $399.99, and the PS5s (and all consoles for that matter) go through subtle hardware revisions all the time.

It's unclear if this reporting indicates anything that came out at trial as a result of Microsoft's subpeona and deposition of Sony, or Microsoft's own internal speculation.

For all we know it's the same old discless PS5 with an extra USB port. But if they manage to make a discless PS5 closer to the size of a Series S, well, hats off to them then.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaVillain  Moderator

@Chutebox: It just means we could see PS5 slim coming out sooner than we thought.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

That's cool, I guess. I have a physical edition, and need a disc drive -- so this isn't for me. I'm in the minority of people that like the design/aesthetic of the OG, so I also wouldn't switch just because it is smaller.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2547 Posts

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

@lamprey263:

It might come with like a 2-3 terabytes SSD. It will probably be more for the new users to buy not the people who already have a console.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44301 Posts

Meh. Aside from being interested in what it might look like I have no real interest in it myself. I’ve already got a bunch of games on disc and still prefer to get my games in the future on disc as well. Have no need to get rid of my current disc based PS5.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts

@davillain: They guessing. It.means nothing.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Not getting another until we hear something of a Pro model, and even then only if it's a sufficient jump in power

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3441 Posts

So the slim will cost the same as the diskless?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

Don't care. Only slim console I owned was PS2 and that was because it was the only available model after my original died. I might be interested if there was a Pro model.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

Discless? No thanks, they can shove it. Disc is great, because the ps digital store always scams.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

If you pull up some videos on YT, apparently there's a 1000 model PS5 (the original), an 1100 and 1200 model. I have an 1100 and a 1200. If you watch the teardown, it's surprising how small and light they've made the insides of the PS5 1200 model. It draws much less power, runs cooler, distributes heat more evenly and runs quieter. The 1200 model they're selling now could easily fit in a much smaller case. It's pretty much a PS5 slim internally but in an OG case.

A real selling point for the PS5 slim would be added internal storage to 2 or 3 tb. I think 3 is pushing it, 2 would be the most we'd get. I dunno about Sony, but I'm sure Microsoft and Seagate are making a killing on the expandable storage drives so I don't know how inclined they are to increase it to 2tb. I've contributed to their wallets, I've bought a few of them myself because I have a few Series X consoles each with 2tb expansions. I think the option for expandable storage makes them less pressured to increase what it currently ships with. Yeah, they should increase it, but I think their decisions revolve around max revenue. Shipping with 1tb is enough, if you want more, you can get it.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

The Xbox Series S should have allowed people to attach a blu ray drive. It would have definitely helped it in sales if people wanted to play on Xbox but couldn't afford a Series X and wanted physical copies but wanted to play ASAP.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45245 Posts

I want a slim, but not sure how I feel about the detachable drive. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a slim. Unless the slim is really small.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

@eni232: "2-3 terabytes SSD" oh I highly doubt that

Anyhow, this appears from other reporting to be purely Microsoft's internal speculation and not based on any third party disclosures. I'd say it's a safe guess at some point Sony will try to make a smaller and/or cheaper PS5.

Curious though if Microsoft is expecting this, are they too planning some alteration to their SKUs to anticipate this? Perhaps that's why we saw the 1TB Series S announced at their last event. Curious if they have plans to spice up the Series X.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

I liked my PS3 super slim but as usual, the slim versions of Sony’s consoles always lose something compared to the base version.

No disc drive attached = no buy for me. Find another way to make it smaller.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#19 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9732 Posts

Why not include a disk drive for the PS5 Slim? I didn't ask for a digital only PS5 Slim. It would be so much better with a disk drive. The detachable disk drive thing is weird and it will look weird when its attached. It will be the first Sony console to have a detachable disk drive.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69771 Posts

It would be an interesting move if Sony kills physical by releasing a digital only slim.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3078 Posts

The only way I would buy a PS5 is if it looked like this.

But there's still no games I really want to play, so even that probably wouldn't be enough. It would be a start though.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I can imagine a Slim PS5 lasting 2-3 years before it burns itself out. Slim PS2, slim PS3, and even the smaller PS4, none have longevity.

Space = cooling. Cooling is incredibly important. Your ITX PC will die a lot faster than a full sized tower, ATX mobo, PC with proper cooling. It's just physics.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@Wasdie said:

I can imagine a Slim PS5 lasting 2-3 years before it burns itself out. Slim PS2, slim PS3, and even the smaller PS4, none have longevity.

Space = cooling. Cooling is incredibly important. Your ITX PC will die a lot faster than a full sized tower, ATX mobo, PC with proper cooling. It's just physics.

Seems more like you are talking about poor cooling. Space does not equal cooling, the removal of heat equal cooling.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
@Pedro said:
@Wasdie said:

Seems more like you are talking about poor cooling. Space does not equal cooling, the removal of heat equal cooling.

Yeah and smaller space means less room for radiators and fans. We've seen it time and time again. Slim consoles burn out because, ultimately, the same amount of power is being pushed through smaller cooling with less airflow. Every damn time.

There's not a long lasting slim version of a console. They also are notorious for cutting corners to get that MSRP down.

And really think of it too. A smaller tunnel with hot air flowing through it will always have a higher ambient temp than a larger one. It's literally basic physics. To push more air through a smaller tunnel you need higher RPMs which means a louder console, but even then, there's less room for saturation, and there will always be higher ambient temps.

Any experienced PC builder can tell you that more room = lower temps. Always and forever.

I look at the PS5's design and see a form factor built specifically around temp. Same with the Series X. They are wind tunnels with enough space for the heat to dissipate and be blown out with ample cooling.

Shink the design and you're going to have higher temps. Simple fact.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

So instead of it being the size of an army tank, it will only be the size of a washing machine :P

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39211 Posts

A slim $299 digital ps5 would be nice for those who don't own one, and don't care about physical, but releasing a $400 system when that's the price of the digital version since day one, is kinda dumb.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@Wasdie said:

Yeah and smaller space means less room for radiators and fans. We've seen it time and time again. Slim consoles burn out because, ultimately, the same amount of power is being pushed through smaller cooling with less airflow. Every damn time.

There's not a long lasting slim version of a console. They also are notorious for cutting corners to get that MSRP down.

And really think of it too. A smaller tunnel with hot air flowing through it will always have a higher ambient temp than a larger one. It's literally basic physics. To push more air through a smaller tunnel you need higher RPMs which means a louder console, but even then, there's less room for saturation, and there will always be higher ambient temps.

Any experienced PC builder can tell you that more room = lower temps. Always and forever.

I look at the PS5's design and see a form factor built specifically around temp. Same with the Series X. They are wind tunnels with enough space for the heat to dissipate and be blown out with ample cooling.

Shink the design and you're going to have higher temps. Simple fact.

There are many factors that are considered when cooling any device. However, it is not as simple as stating space = cooling. That is inaccurate. Cooling is all about the movement of heat out of a specific area. You can have a large case but if your mechanism for cooling is insufficient, your system is going to overheat regardless of the available space. I guess I could plug the "it is just physics" line. What is important is the mechanisms that are used for cooling. If we were to use your claims then laptops would not last greater than 3 years. But we both know that is not true because the cooling systems are design for the form factor. The efficiency of the cooling systems dictates how hot a system would run. If there are size constraints then cooling system would need to adjust for these constraints. As someone who prefers smaller systems and a person who builds their own small form factor systems, I am very aware of the constraints of smaller cases and the cooling systems that are needed for these constraints.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wasdie  Moderator
@Pedro said:

There are many factors that are considered when cooling any device. However, it is not as simple as stating space = cooling. That is inaccurate. Cooling is all about the movement of heat out of a specific area. You can have a large case but if your mechanism for cooling is insufficient, your system is going to overheat regardless of the available space. I guess I could plug the "it is just physics" line. What is important is the mechanisms that are used for cooling. If we were to use your claims then laptops would not last greater than 3 years. But we both know that is not true because the cooling systems are design for the form factor. The efficiency of the cooling systems dictates how hot a system would run. If there are size constraints then cooling system would need to adjust for these constraints. As someone who prefers smaller systems and a person who builds their own small form factor systems, I am very aware of the constraints of smaller cases and the cooling systems that are needed for these constraints.

Yeah it really is that simple.

Movement of heat out of a specific area still has higher ambient temperatures to deal with because of the simple physics of more energy within a smaller confined space means more heat. You cannot get around that. You're arguing against physics there and that's just not smart.

The mechanisms don't really matter unless it involves introducing lower temperatures into the mix. I don't even mean liquid cooling I mean something more like liquid nitrogen. Otherwise the simple formula of the same amount of heat being generated and funneled through a smaller space = less efficient. You cannot get around this no matter how hard you try and anybody designing electronics knows that.

When there are size constraints the cooling cannot physically be increased in sized. That's nearly impossible unless you want to talk about different metals which have different properties when it comes to heat diffusion, which I'll touch upon later. Radiators operate on a very simple principle of energy transfer. The smaller the radiator, the less amount of energy transferred. You can try to blow more air on the radiator to dissipate that heat into air, but air is a terrible conductor for heat and smaller fans universally move less air. So now you're running smaller fans at higher RPMs to move less air and you now have a hotter and louder console. Exactly what everybody wants.

So you bring up laptops and that's hilarious and undermines your point. A laptop runs at lower voltages and thus lower clocks speeds than desktops. This is done simply because their cooling solutions are compact and cannot move nearly as much heat. Thus a 4070 in a laptop is significantly less powerful than its desktop counterpart. Kind of directly contradicts what you're trying to say.

I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty upset if I bought a $299 Slim PS5 and found was about 75% as powerful as the fat PS5s. I'm being generous with that 75%. If you think Sony or Microsoft is going to commission AMD to build a whole new chip that has the same architecture of their last one but smaller in size just for a slimmer console, then you also probably believe the moon is made of cheese. That's never happened and simply never will.

Even more so, you want to talk about cooling solutions designed around smaller cooling solutions for smaller systems and there is a bit of a caveat I haven't brought up. Various metals can conduct heat better than others. However, the notion of a slim PS5 that's cheaper than the fatter one before it kind of insinuates that it'd also be a lower price. You're now on the line for outfitting a smaller console with smaller parts (historically more expensive) with a more expensive cooling solution, yet gonna release the thing at $100 lower than the digital fat PS5?

I'm sorry but you're just wrong. Everybody who builds PCs knows it too. You build an ITX or Micro ATX PC you'll just expect not only higher priced components, but higher ambient temperatures. You're generally not slotting in full sized GPUs like a 4070 because the platform isn't built to sustain that. Again, common knowledge. I've spent endless hours on various PC forums throughout the years trying to optimize the hell out of CPU temps by under volting systems. That can only work so well. Physics ultimately drives it all.

Console components have already been heavily optimized for their smaller form factor. Historically, which you've also avoided in your response, this has led to short lifespan consoles. Slim PS2, PS3, and even slim PS4s simple run hotter and last less time.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

An extra USB c port??

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k

@lavamelon said:

So instead of it being the size of an army tank, it will only be the size of a washing machine :P

I want it to be the size of a grill

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

This thing is so stupid. Digital Only PS5 Slim for $399. External Drive for $99. Bro just give me a Physical PS5 Slim for $499, stop with the silly gimmicks. Who the hell wants an Octopus setup on their tv stand. Sony always so dumb.

And $299 for a Streaming only device that doesnt even come with a dock??? Wtf? And whats its battery life cause DualSense controller sucks at battery life. And here comes the Clown Cows, " Well just plus it in the wall or just plug it in the dock. " Fackin Clown Cows.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3039 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: wtf does this even mean?

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1292 Posts

Slim is Milk spelled Backwards,you work it out

EastLand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 EastLand
Member since 2018 • 300 Posts

There's talk of a PS5 Slim/Pro Spiderman 2 bundle, if so that'll definitely help with shifting a fair amount of consoles.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7255 Posts

It's a formality that Sony releases a ps5 slim it's the blueprint they have always used. There's always usually a refresh to the system 3-4 years in.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

Fully expect this. Sony releases a slim console every generation. Why would this gen be any different?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@Wasdie said:

Yeah it really is that simple.

Movement of heat out of a specific area still has higher ambient temperatures to deal with because of the simple physics of more energy within a smaller confined space means more heat. You cannot get around that. You're arguing against physics there and that's just not smart.

1.The mechanisms don't really matter unless it involves introducing lower temperatures into the mix. I don't even mean liquid cooling I mean something more like liquid nitrogen. Otherwise the simple formula of the same amount of heat being generated and funneled through a smaller space = less efficient. You cannot get around this no matter how hard you try and anybody designing electronics knows that.

2.When there are size constraints the cooling cannot physically be increased in sized. That's nearly impossible unless you want to talk about different metals which have different properties when it comes to heat diffusion, which I'll touch upon later. Radiators operate on a very simple principle of energy transfer. The smaller the radiator, the less amount of energy transferred. You can try to blow more air on the radiator to dissipate that heat into air, but air is a terrible conductor for heat and smaller fans universally move less air. So now you're running smaller fans at higher RPMs to move less air and you now have a hotter and louder console. Exactly what everybody wants.

3.So you bring up laptops and that's hilarious and undermines your point. A laptop runs at lower voltages and thus lower clocks speeds than desktops. This is done simply because their cooling solutions are compact and cannot move nearly as much heat. Thus a 4070 in a laptop is significantly less powerful than its desktop counterpart. Kind of directly contradicts what you're trying to say.

4.I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty upset if I bought a $299 Slim PS5 and found was about 75% as powerful as the fat PS5s. I'm being generous with that 75%. If you think Sony or Microsoft is going to commission AMD to build a whole new chip that has the same architecture of their last one but smaller in size just for a slimmer console, then you also probably believe the moon is made of cheese. That's never happened and simply never will.

5.Even more so, you want to talk about cooling solutions designed around smaller cooling solutions for smaller systems and there is a bit of a caveat I haven't brought up. Various metals can conduct heat better than others. However, the notion of a slim PS5 that's cheaper than the fatter one before it kind of insinuates that it'd also be a lower price. You're now on the line for outfitting a smaller console with smaller parts (historically more expensive) with a more expensive cooling solution, yet gonna release the thing at $100 lower than the digital fat PS5?

6.I'm sorry but you're just wrong. Everybody who builds PCs knows it too. You build an ITX or Micro ATX PC you'll just expect not only higher priced components, but higher ambient temperatures. You're generally not slotting in full sized GPUs like a 4070 because the platform isn't built to sustain that. Again, common knowledge. I've spent endless hours on various PC forums throughout the years trying to optimize the hell out of CPU temps by under volting systems. That can only work so well. Physics ultimately drives it all.

7.Console components have already been heavily optimized for their smaller form factor. Historically, which you've also avoided in your response, this has led to short lifespan consoles. Slim PS2, PS3, and even slim PS4s simple run hotter and last less time.

First, lets make something super clear before I address your wall of text. Nothing I have stated is false. You made a statement that space = cooling. That is an inaccurate statement. There is no twisting, spinning, word soup that would change that. There is no "argument against physics".

1. You can't argue that mechanisms don't matter. Mechanisms are the means to which you cool components in a system. Cooling systems for consoles and PC rely on introducing lower temperatures. It is not an exception it is the core of cooling anything. Again, the physics you keep claiming is being argued against.

2. What are you even arguing about here?

3. Which part of my argument was claiming, imply or stating that the cooling systems in a laptop is equal to that of a PC?

"If we were to use your claims then laptops would not last greater than 3 years. But we both know that is not true because the cooling systems are design for the form factor."

4. What are you even talking about?

5. Another point and issue that was never part of the discussion.

6. Wrong about what exactly? That the statement space = cooling is inaccurate? That the mechanisms used for cooling is more important than just space?

7. Provide evidence to claim that small form factor has lead to shorter lifespan of consoles and it was due to overheating causing the failure of the console. That is your claim and the burden of proof is one you. Again the claim you made is

"I can imagine a Slim PS5 lasting 2-3 years before it burns itself out. Slim PS2, slim PS3, and even the smaller PS4, none have longevity."

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k

My favourite is the Wii slim, what about yours?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k: I have never seen that Wii version before in my gaming life👀

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44301 Posts

@davillain: I believe that it was region specific. They were sold here in Canada.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

Are top loaders more reliable than slot loaders?🤔

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator

@Archangel3371 said:

@davillain: I believe that it was region specific. They were sold here in Canada.

That's just odd, I cannot believe that thing existed. I'll admit, it does look cool though.