Shin Megami V sells 800k! Atlus to make more surprise announcements in 2022!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

https://www.destructoid.com/atlus-teases-surprise-titles-in-its-new-years-day-greeting-2022/

The holiday weekend saw many studios and publishers take to the information superhighway to welcome their respective fans and customers to 2022, loosely promising good teams ahead for their respective IPs and franchises. Atlus is one such example publisher who, in a Famitsu article, teased some unannounced games that are waiting in the wings.

According to Atlus, (and translated by Siliconera) 2022 will see the company release several yet-to-be-revealed “surprise titles” into its bursting catalog of modern classics. In addition, the coming year will see Persona enter the “next phase” of its 25th-anniversary celebrations. This isn’t, by definition, how anniversaries work, fellas. Atlus also thanked fans for helping Shin Megami Tensei V smash through 800,000 sales since its release. The long, long, long-awaited JRPG sequel finally launched on Nintendo Switch in November 2021, receiving plaudits from critics and fans.

As for the remainder of 2022, we do know that Atlus plans to re-release 2013 fighting title Persona 4 Arena Ultimax on PS4, PC, and Nintendo Switch come March 17. We also know that fine adventure game Persona 5 Strikers will be joining the PlayStation Plus service in but a few days from now. 2019 strategic adventure 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim will also be coming to Nintendo Switch in April — no doubt pleasing a lot of Nintendo fans. But as for Atlus’ new titles, I guess we’ll have to remain entrenched in the “wait and see” camp for now.

Ooo I'm excited about more Atlus games! They are one of the most underrated publishers out there, at least that's what it seems like in the Western market. What do you think we could possibly see in 2022 from them, SW? I will definitely be getting Persona 4 Arena ultimate. I'm also pretty happy with Shin Megami V so far, so I'm happy that sales are strong!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44543 Posts

Saw this earlier and kudos to them for really doing well lately. Don’t have much experience with the Shin Megami Tensei franchise but apparently this is quite well for it and I am enjoying SMTV very much.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

I was not one of those purchasers of this game. 😊

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro said:

It would be too difficulty for you anyway 😮🤠

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39700 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Pedro said:

It would be too difficulty for you anyway 😮🤠

Overspending $500 on his pc must hurt so bad. Hope he recovers in 2022🤗

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44683 Posts

Sad it didn't break a million yet, shit chance hoping they'd put Persona on Switch anytime soon. How like the Sega/Atlus used Persona Arenas sales on Xbox as cover for not putting Persona on Xbox. Sham testing of the waters.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#7 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Heck yeah, the game is amazing. No wonder so many wanted to buy it. Congrats Nintendo, all you do is win 🥇

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

So, we have fakeboy echoing TC old failed strategy and TC trying a new strategy because I have embarrassed him so many times. Hopefully, this new angle works. 🤭

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro said:

So, we have fakeboy echoing TC old failed strategy and TC trying a new strategy because I have embarrassed him so many times. Hopefully, this new angle works. 🤭

@hardwenzen clapped you bro

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Nice - this is on my list... my long long list. But I bet I'd like it

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidGame_basic

@xantufrog said:

Nice - this is on my list... my long long list. But I bet I'd like it

Lol, I've come to accept that my list will never end.

I think you would like this game, but I will say, don't go into it expecting Persona, but it does have its similarities.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: it's much more "heavy" right? Like, not that Persona isn't "serious" in its own way, but this is gritty, and harder too I've heard

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic

@xantufrog said:

@SolidGame_basic: it's much more "heavy" right? Like, not that Persona isn't "serious" in its own way, but this is gritty, and harder too I've heard

Yea, it's darker, and yes, more challenging. I'm playing on normal and have lost a bunch of times. But I like that it's challenging. I like the plot too, won't spoil it, but reminds me of a certain movie lol.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

It is a very solid jRPG. Mechanically it is one of the most interesting ones being a refinement of Nocturne. Because of its open world structure, and how enemies are handled, you can pretty much boss rush this one too. There are very few unavoidable trash fights.

Music and story is kinda blegh, but whatever, the atmosphere, exploration and combat are some of the best I have seen in a menu based jRPG.

On a side note, I would love it if Atlus worked with the Pokemon Company to make a half decent Pokemon game again. Pokemon does have more interesting mechanics and skill design than SMT. But the campaigns tend to be so horribly paced and nothing forces you to actually use the wealth of mechanics within. Maybe Atlus could fix that.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#15  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

That's not close to Persona numbers, but it's a big step-up for SMT. The only things holding it back from reaching Persona levels of success are the story and presentation. If Atlus improves on the story and presentation for the next game, Atlus and Sega could have another Persona-level mainstream hit series on their hands.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Maroxad

@Jag85: I think if they stopped going post apocalyptic for a game they could probably do a lot of fleshing out. Make it focus on the end days instead of the post apocalypse.

Devil Survivor remains the most well written SMT I have played.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jag85
@SolidGame_basic said:

They are one of the most underrated publishers out there, at least that's what it seems like in the Western market.

If anything, Persona is way bigger in the West than it is in Japan. Only a small fraction of the woldwide sales for Persona 4 and 5 came from Japan.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#19 adsparky  Online
Member since 2006 • 2604 Posts

@Maroxad said:

@Jag85: I think if they stopped going post apocalyptic for a game they could probably do a lot of fleshing out. Make it focus on the end days instead of the post apocalypse.

I can't agree more.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jag85
@Maroxad said:

That's not a bad idea. Maybe focus on the end days for one game, followed by a sequel set in the post-apocalypse, while following the same cast of characters. One of the biggest selling points of Persona is the character-driven storytelling, which is something SMT needs more of. But of course, without making it a carbon copy of Persona, so that SMT still keeps its unique identity.

I haven't played Devil Survivor. But I've heard good things about it. How does it compare to SMT and Persona?

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 adsparky  Online

@Jag85: Devil Survivor is kinda like the bastard child of SMT and persona, the story is set in Tokyo after a demon outbreak so the military is forced to close that part of the city leaving the people that was unfortunate to be at that time at the mercy of demons, luckily there are some summoning devices that allows people to use demons in battle; each day is divided in several hours where different events occur at the same time, it is up to the player to choose which events to tackle and depending of those choices you get different party members and different endings.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

At this point this is the one console only game I'm interested,I really hope they put it on PC eventually because I don't really want to buy a switch just for it.

800k seems kinda low compared to what Persona does these days sadly.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3142 Posts

Pretty good for a Persona spinoff.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Arach666 said:

At this point this is the one console only game I'm interested,I really hope they put it on PC eventually because I don't really want to buy a switch just for it.

I can see this game going multiplat, but who knows, Atlus works in mysterious ways lol.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By adsparky  Online
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Arach666 said:

I can see this game going multiplat, but who knows, Atlus works in mysterious ways lol.

There are rumors of it going to steam, as always; but after playing the game it gave the same vibes as monster hunter rise, a game designed for another platform that had to be adjusted to work on the switch; and well, monster hunter rise is heading to steam even when some people say it wouldn't since there is monster hunter world.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jag85
@zmanbarzel said:

Pretty good for a Persona spinoff.

Not sure if sarcastic, but Persona is the spinoff here. It just so happens the spinoff is more popular than the main series. Which isn't unusual for JRPGs. Falcom's Trails series is similarly a spinoff series that's bigger than the Legend of Heroes main series.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Maroxad

@Jag85 said:
@Maroxad said:

That's not a bad idea. Maybe focus on the end days for one game, followed by a sequel set in the post-apocalypse, while following the same cast of characters. One of the biggest selling points of Persona is the character-driven storytelling, which is something SMT needs more of. But of course, without making it a carbon copy of Persona, so that SMT still keeps its unique identity.

I haven't played Devil Survivor. But I've heard good things about it. How does it compare to SMT and Persona?

It is probably the most well written Atlus game in general, but as a starting point it can be a bit rough due to its difficulty.

Second game had worse characters and added Persona's Social Linking in, which made the game worse than its predecessor despite having better mechanics and encounter design.

It also is a game that takes place in the end days, heavily inspired by the Revelations book in the bible. But also brings up the Academic history behind the Abrahamic Religions, such as how it spun out from its Canaanite ancestor, which is why a certain other Canaanite god whom the Yahwists had a strong rivalry with has a strong prevalence in the plot.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Arach666 said:

Seriously,I tought after the Sega aquisition they would port all their newer stuff to PC at least but we got what,only Catherine and Persona 4?

They have so much good old stuff they barely touch,I'd be happy with a remaster of both DDS games and Persona 2 IS and EP.

Also,isn't SMT 4 still a handheld exclusive to this day? What a waste...

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@Arach666 said:

well, SMT has never been that popular probably because the setting is bleak and also because both the DS and 3DS were seriously underpowered handhelds. P5R and P5 together sold around 3 million if im not wrong, so 800k in 2 months of sales is pretty decent. Im guessing this game will have legs and move past 1.2 million or so by the end.

If they didn't make the setting, the music, everything so depressing, it would probably sell closer to the persona games. But then it would lose its whole apocalyptic plot.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic

@blaznwiipspman1:hmm.. to me, it's not depressing as it is dark. It has a gothic theme to it, which I like. Nice change of pace.