Should Sony cut another deal with Marvel?

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6907 Posts

In light of the news that Sony is making studios work on remakes of games that don't need to be remade( TLOU). Should Sony have maybe a couple other studios make games based off Marvel IP's much like Insomniac has done with Spiderman? And if so what would you like it to be?

I personally would love an X-Men game but I could see someone like Sony Bend doing a Punisher game. To me this would be a slam dunk and a no brainer.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

Sony owns the rights to Spider Man that is the only reason that happened.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

I think that's more Disney's decision than Sony's. Between Marvel's Avengers going to Square Enix, EA losing the exclusive Star Wars license, and Bethesda/Microsoft getting the Indiana Jones game, I believe Marvel games will be following the same no-exclusive licensing house model.

I mean, Sony could pitch a project to Disney, but Disney's the one that have the final say.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Silentchief

@CanYouDiglt: They don't though. They only own the movie rights, Disney still owns the character. Owning the movie rights may have gave them leverage though.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11128 Posts

What other character could they take on that would be as fun to play or as popular as Spider-Man though? Everyone else is either too OP or too low-key.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

X-Men could be cool but it really doesn't need to be exclusive. What I would rather see is a dark and gritty Ninja Turtles game. Realistic graphics. Blood and gore. Single player story driven.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Sony can't afford to moneyhat another character(s)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39110 Posts

Superhero movies and games are the definition of 🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69680 Posts

This thread is Sony fannies in panic mode. 😂

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44589 Posts

Only if someone can make it worth the effort. Who could though. After the Avengers pulled an Anthem I am sure nobody is going to push to monopolize Marvel rights in gaming. Lego games will go on. Maybe Activision will keep making those Ultimate Alliance games in future.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Silentchief

@lamprey263: A cinematic TPS with the Punisher license made by Remedy? Or a action adventure with Wolverine? Or a diablo style action RPG with the X-Men.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Silentchief

@BenjaminBanklin: Wolverine would be huge. A popular character and not to Oped. Would be better as a DMC type of game.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Silentchief

@Pedro said:

This thread is Sony fannies in panic mode. 😂

Yea it would be sad if they turned into MS and only made sequels for the same three IP's. 😆

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Silentchief
@Telekill said:

X-Men could be cool but it really doesn't need to be exclusive. What I would rather see is a dark and gritty Ninja Turtles game. Realistic graphics. Blood and gore. Single player story driven.

Would love either of those but Ninja Turtles has been botched so many times. It's also owned by Viacom.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Telekill

@silentchief: What's your thoughts on the recently announced TMNT Shredders Revenge? I'm honestly pretty hyped for it but would still like to see a more mature single player game.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I'd like to see the Dragonball FighterZ team work on a Marvel x Star Wars game or something with those epic sprites those guys really good at high quality designs.

They make great fun fighting games could do any franchise justice like dbz.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Silentchief

@Telekill said:

@silentchief: What's your thoughts on the recently announced TMNT Shredders Revenge? I'm honestly pretty hyped for it but would still like to see a more mature single player game.

I honestly wanted them to put more effort into it... something like the new streets of rage with high quality 2d animation but I am definitely still going to buy it day one.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Silentchief
@ProtossRushX said:

I'd like to see the Dragonball FighterZ team work on a Marvel x Star Wars game or something with those epic sprites those guys really good at high quality designs.

They make great fun fighting games could do any franchise justice like dbz.

Yes they bring animated visuals to 3D better then anyone.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17439 Posts

I really want a really good Deadpool made by Ninja Theory.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Telekill

@silentchief: Fair enough.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1461 Posts

I expect Sony to extend the Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters (SPUMC), centered around Spider-Man, in movies and games such as Venom, Morbius, Madame Web, Spider-Woman, Nightwatch. Jackpot, Kraven the Hunter, Man-Wolf, Silver Sable, and Silk. I think it's a better investment in the long run to use those characters to make spin-off Spider-Man games, DLCs, or independent games than to make other superhero licensed games that they don't have the right to make a tie-in movie.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

I’d much rather see developers like Capcom, Platinum Games, and Arc System Works make some games using the Marvel characters myself.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I’d much rather see developers like Capcom, Platinum Games, and Arc System Works make some games using the Marvel characters myself.

Yup, this, and without Disney lording over their every move or forcing MCU nonsense.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah, for sure. Disney forcing adherence to the MCU just ends up ruining the games.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Silentchief

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Yup, this, and without Disney lording over their every move or forcing MCU nonsense.

I agree. They ruined Marvel vs Capcom infinite because they refused to put the X-Men in it. I would love to see Capcom make a Wolverine game or X-Men game.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Silentchief
@st_monica said:

I expect Sony to extend the Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters (SPUMC), centered around Spider-Man, in movies and games such as Venom, Morbius, Madame Web, Spider-Woman, Nightwatch. Jackpot, Kraven the Hunter, Man-Wolf, Silver Sable, and Silk. I think it's a better investment in the long run to use those characters to make spin-off Spider-Man games, DLCs, or independent games than to make other superhero licensed games that they don't have the right to make a tie-in movie.

Sony’s games have nothing to do with the movies.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Punisher game by Naughty Dog will be awesome.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1461 Posts

@silentchief: What I'm saying is that, as is often pointed out, Sony Pictures and Sony Interactive Entertainment have recently strengthened their relationship. For example, making Uncharted and Ghost of Tsushima into movies. In addition, Sony is investing in the creation of its own superhero universe centered around Spider-Man movies (SPUMC). On that premise, I anticipate tie-ins aimed at synergies between video games and movies, including their Spider-Man universe.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Silentchief

@st_monica said:

@silentchief: What I'm saying is that, as is often pointed out, Sony Pictures and Sony Interactive Entertainment have recently strengthened their relationship. For example, making Uncharted and Ghost of Tsushima into movies. In addition, Sony is investing in the creation of its own superhero universe centered around Spider-Man movies (SPUMC). On that premise, I anticipate tie-ins aimed at synergies between video games and movies, including their Spider-Man universe.

I don't see that happening and honestly I'd hate it. Movie tie ins are terrible and are the main reason comic book video games were absolute trash for so long.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2040 Posts

A Punisher or Daredevil game can work

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

@silentchief: "Yea it would be sad if they turned into MS and only made sequels for the same three IP's. 😆"

Isn't that what Sony's doing as well? Hell, they're even making a TLOU remake because they're too terrified to stray away from their 4-5 already established ip's

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

I think that bridge is burnt. Sony has the media rights to Spider-Man and Marvel is less than pleased. So I doubt Marvel are interested.

You guys are deluded if you think Marvel would give Sony anything.

Their MCU deal is bitter sweet. I doubt Marvel like being bent over a barrel with their own character.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

Yes along with Capcom. Since they own EVO now, it only makes sense.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Comic book licenses shouldn't be locked behind system exclusivity deals, especially since movies and TV are a popular way to consume licensed superhero-related media.

Imagine if Nintendo got exclusive rights to a video game adaptation of DC's Dark Nights Metal story arc

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@Telekill said:

What I would rather see is a dark and gritty Ninja Turtles game. Realistic graphics. Blood and gore. Single player story driven.

Yes, maybe not blood and gore, somehow I don't see it fitting and I love me some gore. Maybe a lil blood. I wish Rocksteady would develop it.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9574 Posts

Superheroes aren't my thing so personally I hope not...

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Silentchief

@flashn00b said:

Comic book licenses shouldn't be locked behind system exclusivity deals, especially since movies and TV are a popular way to consume licensed superhero-related media.

Imagine if Nintendo got exclusive rights to a video game adaptation of DC's Dark Nights Metal story arc

I just want a good game and Sony tends to make great single player games. I had really high hopes for Avengers and what could have been an amazing game is instead a repetitive GAAS title with little content.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Silentchief
@HalcyonScarlet said:

I think that bridge is burnt. Sony has the media rights to Spider-Man and Marvel is less than pleased. So I doubt Marvel are interested.

Their MCU deal is bitter sweet. I doubt Marvel like being bent over a barrel with their own character.

I honestly wish Sony would sell their movie division for all marvel game rights.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34660 Posts
@silentchief said:

Should Sony have maybe a couple other studios make games based off Marvel IP's much like Insomniac has done with Spiderman?

No.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@silentchief said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

I honestly wish Sony would sell their movie division for all marvel game rights.

Then what will you play? :-P

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8870 Posts

@silentchief: Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man. Marvel will never make a deal like that again.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

@silentchief said:
@flashn00b said:

I just want a good game and Sony tends to make great single player games. I had really high hopes for Avengers and what could have been an amazing game is instead a repetitive GAAS title with little content.

Insomniac's probably not the end-all be-all for comic book licensing tbh. Yes, i can acknowledge how good the Spider-Man games are, though it's probably time to let other studios have a turn.

I'd actually would like to see Ken Levine's studio get their hands on either Marvel (S.H.I.E.L.D.) or DC's (Justice League) respective comic book universes, so as to have a spiritual successor to Freedom Force, which is probably one of 2002's best games no one has ever played. Dunno if a top-down CRPG would sit well with today's consumers of superhero media though.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Silentchief

@flashn00b said:
@silentchief said:
@flashn00b said:

Insomniac's probably not the end-all be-all for comic book licensing tbh. Yes, i can acknowledge how good the Spider-Man games are, though it's probably time to let other studios have a turn.

I'd actually would like to see Ken Levine's studio get their hands on either Marvel (S.H.I.E.L.D.) or DC's (Justice League) respective comic book universes, so as to have a spiritual successor to Freedom Force, which is probably one of 2002's best games no one has ever played. Dunno if a top-down CRPG would sit well with today's consumers of superhero media though.

I would like them to stay on Spider-Man for awhile. Spider-Man had a ton of mediocre to bad games over the years and in my opinion their Spider-Man games are the only great ones. But I would love other studios to get a Crack at other Marvel IP's.

A good third person shooter with some brutal Melle combat would be awesome which would work for a Punisher game. Naughty Dog or Sony Bend could do that well or even Remedy. A diablo style action game would be great for an X-Men game with less focus on loot and more on skills and combat. Or an open world Daredevil game by Suckerpunch. Or just a bad ass action adventure game with Wolverine that's more like a DMC style game. There is so much potential there that's being wasted.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Silentchief
@dabear said:

@silentchief: Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man. Marvel will never make a deal like that again.

They only own the movie rights. Not sure if they leveraged that for the game deal though.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5558 Posts

Marvel is overrated garbo... and Im so glad the gaming industry just realized they cant just cough up trash and slap the Marvel name on it and make billions, like the movie industry has been doing for years.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Silentchief

@enzyme36: Marvel is trash now but they have characters and stories from the past that could make great games. A 90's era X-Men game would be incredible.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8870 Posts

@silentchief said:
@dabear said:

They only own the movie rights. Not sure if they leveraged that for the game deal though.

They also have the rights to make Spider-Man media, including video games. But, you are correct, they don't own exclusive video game rights - some other company could make a Spider-Man game.