Single player adventure Star Wars The Jedi Knight 2 and Multiplayer game The Jedi Academy bundles coming

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59324 Posts

Popular single player adventure, Star Wars The Jedi Knight 2 and multiplayer only game The Jedi Academy coming to PS4 from Aspyr.

Also Star Wars Racer and Republic Commando..

These are old games nobody cares about, and be picked up on PC for basically nothing in a rando sale.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-10-11-star-wars-port-bundles-coming-to-playstation-4-and-switch#comments

Aspyr is releasing bundle versions of its Star Wars ports on PlayStation 4 and Switch.

Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection will include single-player adventure Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast and multiplayer game Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

The former, which follows the adventures of Jedi Kyle Katarn, released in 2002 and was ported in 2019. Jedi Academy followed in 2003, with a port in 2020.

The Star Wars Racer and Commando Combo includes Star Wars Episode 1 Racer (ported in 2020) and the recently released shooter Star Wars Republic Commando.

Both bundles will be released in North America and Europe on PlayStation 4 on 26th October, with a Switch release following on 16th November.

Each bundle is $29.99 / €29.99 / £25.99.

Aspyr has become known for Star Wars ports over the past few years, with these bundles bringing their work together.

The company will next be working on a full remake of Bioware's Knight of the Old Republic for PlayStation 5 and PC. Announced at the PlayStation Showcase livestream, no gameplay has yet been shown.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25061 Posts

I played jedi outcast. didnot liked it. the gunplay just suck and lightsabers fight is not good at all.

only good star wars game is jedi fallen order. not masterpiece but just good 7ish game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

What is the point of this? It is the same price as purchasing the games separately?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
@ghosts4ever said:

I played jedi outcast. didnot liked it. the gunplay just suck and lightsabers fight is not good at all.

This is actually true. the shooting is terrible and becomes more apparent on harder difficulties. Dark Forces II has much better shooting. And generally speaking, is the better game, fire-arms still viable and in many cases better from A-Z.

As soon as the light-saber drops in Outcast, it becomes 10 times better. And not just because it's a lightsaber, it directly removes an ongoing problem.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Star Wars or Super heroes... can't decide which I'm more bored of at the moment.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

and multiplayer only game The Jedi Academy

I distinctly remember playing this singleplayer... Hmmm

I wish we got some more Star Wars games, even some EA games at this point.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

This is actually true. the shooting is terrible and becomes more apparent on harder difficulties. Dark Forces II has much better shooting. And generally speaking, is the better game. sing fire-arms is still viable and in many cases better from A-Z.

As soon as the light-saber drops in Outcast, it becomes 10 times better. And not just because it's a lightsaber, it directly removes an ongoing problem.

Which begs the question: why would you play this on console?

These games are so hard, playing them on a controller, or heck a Switch joycon, would seem like torture.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k: Ye, was highlighting what a poo head the author is.. Like, 15 seconds on google my man.

And just from a logistical point of view, a direct sequel, to that single player game. The clue being in the title.

Think he might be getting overpaid.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup
@R4gn4r0k said:

Which begs the question: why would you play this on console?

These games are so hard, playing them on a controller, or heck a Switch joycon, would seem like torture.

Donno about the console version.

Can't agree it's really "high skill ceiling" as it is just, straight up shitty shooting. The AI strafe like Quake 3 bots spamming deadly bolts, with your weapons having a delayed response that randomly (by design) go off course of the hud curser.

On lower difficulties, obv less of an issue. In the harder settings, infuriating. The enemy can also occasionally have their bolts clip through walls.

Dark Forced II enemies' behaviour was comparatively organic with the level design accommodating them.

It would seem (as a guess) the enemies were designed mainly around the lightsaber with the shooting an afterthought. Academy seems to verify this by throwing it in the trash from the get go.

Yea, def think Dark Forces II is the better game.

Both have some pretty awesome level design though, big brain stuff wouldn't get today.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Poor cows, you have to pay for games that are BC on XSX...

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

Got all of these games when they released digitally, plus the LRG physicals. Worth it if you can.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

Weird article. Both games had singleplayer and multiplayer modes. I distinctly remember playing both online back in the day.

Also, aren't both games already available on the Switch?

Anyway, these were great games for their time. I'm not sure if they hold up, but I imagine the lightsaber fights are still fun.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uninspiredcup
@Planeforger said:

Weird article. Both games had singleplayer and multiplayer modes. I distinctly remember playing both online back in the day.

Also, aren't both games already available on the Switch?

Anyway, these were great games for their time. I'm not sure if they hold up, but I imagine the lightsaber fights are still fun.

Visually the lightsaber battles, espically when characters get "locked" still look great for something so old.

But control wise, it is kind of like waving a stick and hoping for the best.

Know Force Unleashed gets a lot of shit, but that kind of DMC style combat seemed to work really well.

The Souls type combat in Fallen Order never really felt particularly visceral or exciting to me. Seemed to be aiming for the more weighty OT era light-saber battles, like knights than the more hyperactive asian style in Clone Wars era.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#14 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Jedi Knight 2 Outcast was one of my favourite games growing up.

It has some of the best melee combat I've seen.

Would love to see modern developers look at this game's design choices, such as the combat and levels.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@uninspiredcup: The Force Unleashed had the right idea but the execution was pretty bad. The light saber combat was clunky and very outdated, far far behind what games like DMC or even GoW had. The force abilities though were handled very well. The sequel, The Force Unleashed 2 had much better light saber combat but sadly the rest of the game would suffer because of budget issues and a rushed production. Really would have loved to see a 3rd game with a big budget and enough time, but that will sadly never happen.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

Gonna have to play these sometime. I got them in a Star Wars bundle sale on Steam where I got like 20 games for $50

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I enjoyed Jedi Academy back in the day. I still have my PC copy and ironically is the era of games my PC can run. I'll just keep it there.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup: I guess at the time I was infatuated by the fact that the game did (alright-ish) FPS shooting and third person light saber combat at the same time. While succeeding at most of it.

The previous game may have had better shooting, but it had no lightsaber content.

These days we are so used to some advancements. Switching in and out of third person camera in GTA V for example :)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

@vl4d_l3nin said:

Gonna have to play these sometime. I got them in a Star Wars bundle sale on Steam where I got like 20 games for $50

Yes, if have a PC, this is moot.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@gym_lion said:

Star Wars or Super heroes... can't decide which I'm more bored of at the moment.

Yeah, Disney has just inundated us with it.