Sony secures FF7 Trilogy as a PlayStation console exclusive! UPDATE: only Remake and Rebirth confirmed

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45228 Posts

Wow, that would mean it’s not coming to Xbox or Switch 2. Thoughts, SW? Is the Final Fantasy IP closely linked to PlayStation at this point?

UPDATE:

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17833 Posts

That's got to be worth a fair chunk of change to Square if true. I wonder if it's proven to be a system seller for the PS5.

....A prelude to Sony buying Square? :O

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17442 Posts

I thought it was already assumed at this point.

Sony has been doing this for a long time, I'm surprised they haven't faced a class action suit or fines from the EU at this point.

I still haven't played the first one even though Ive had it on PC for a while now.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13024 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Wow, that would mean it’s not coming to Xbox or Switch 2. Thoughts, SW? Is the Final Fantasy IP closely linked to PlayStation at this point?

It's only 3 month PS5 exclusive. It would be a permanent exclusive if they weren't developing it for other platforms at some point. Last year, Square confirmed FF games going forward will make it to Xbox as well.

Great news for gamers around the world.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22735 Posts

What a shame for those who would love to give square their money for the game but not have to buy new hardware unnecessarily.... Happily pass.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KvallyX

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ff7-rebirth-exclusivity-window-will-only-last-three-months/1100-6517775/

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

Very unfortunate. As many people as possible should be able to play these fantastic games. I wonder how big that bag of money was that Sony gave to SquareEnix.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KvallyX

@Archangel3371 said:

Very unfortunate. As many people as possible should be able to play these fantastic games. I wonder how big that bag of money was that Sony gave to SquareEnix.

For 3 months, they paid...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371

@kvallyx: Key words are, “console exclusive”. PC is getting a port sometime after May 29th.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KvallyX

@Archangel3371 said:

@kvallyx: Key words are, “console exclusive”. PC is getting a port sometime after May 29th.

Yup. And most likely we will see an Xbox port as well. So the BS of them saying they only wanted to design for ONE platform is BS when it was never exclusive to one platform.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/xboxs-phil-spencer-reveals-new-final-fantasy-partnership

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11617 Posts

Given Xbox still doesn't have access to the first game this isn't surprising. Looking forward to the PC port.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3036 Posts

Well that sucks for Xbox only users 🤷

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371

@kvallyx: All that says is that Microsoft is in a partnership to bring Final Fantasy games to the Xbox, no specific games are mention. Final Fantasy XVI could be a likely candidate and perhaps future ones like the rumoured FFIX remake.

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 447 Posts

FF Remake was a one year exclusive contract. Released on PC 18 months later. Still no Xbox or Nintendo release

FF 16 was a 6 month exclusive contract. 9 months later it's still only on Playstation 5.

FF Rebirth.....we shall see

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56194 Posts

Just get a PC or Steam Deck. Problem solved.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44589 Posts

I'm pretty sure that became clear years ago even though nobody officially said anything. Likely set in stone during Square Enix's last CEO's rein.

I don't think their new CEO cares for the direction the previous leadership set them, but they have to honor their commitments to their conclusion.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

That really sucks. I want more people to be able to play the trilogy. I own a PS5 and this is terrible news in my eyes. I would rather Sony put that money into developing 1st party games, not locking 3rd party content to their system.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69693 Posts

Sony fannies back to praising money hatting.😂

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lamprey263

@kvallyx: I'd be pretty certain that's just PC, and jeez I'm surprised it's only three months.

This news isn't news in that Sony just signed some exclusivity arrangement, it's only news that the arrangement was confirmed, this was likely set years back under Yosuke Matsuda and whatever terms they agreed to have to be honored. That's the same genius who sold Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider IP for peanuts to put into their NFT Hail Mary. Seems Takashi Kiryu doesn't want to keep this arrangement, but whatever that previous arrangement was needs to stay its course.

Despite what arrangements Phil Spencer made to bring more Final Fantasy content over to Xbox, it'll be limited to what content Sony isn't paying Square Enix to keep off Xbox. If when these FFVII remakes can come to Xbox depends on that arrangement.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11128 Posts

I'm sure they didn't have to pay much. Xbox would have been like 5% of the game's sales. Would been a waste of a port and Xbox troglodytes would have just asked when it's coming to Game Pass anyway.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11617 Posts
@stacweed11 said:

FF Remake was a one year exclusive contract. Released on PC 18 months later. Still no Xbox or Nintendo release

FF 16 was a 6 month exclusive contract. 9 months later it's still only on Playstation 5.

FF Rebirth.....we shall see

Sony Re-up'd their exclusive deal for Remake before Integrade came out, added 6 more months.

FF16 deal ended 12/31/23, PC version already announced 09/23. Expected to come around the release of The Rising Tide expansion per Famitsu.

Rebirth will probably come to PC in the holiday window assuming Sony doesn't open up the wallet again.

I can see 16 coming to Nintendo or MS but highly doubt the 7 trilogy will.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8485 Posts

It wasn't already?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

I'm sure they didn't have to pay much. Xbox would have been like 5% of the game's sales. Would been a waste of a port and Xbox troglodytes would have just asked when it's coming to Game Pass anyway.

Look at you cheering moneyhatting hardcore. The irony.🤭

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11128 Posts

@Pedro said:

Look at you cheering moneyhatting hardcore. The irony.🤭

What kind of JRPG fan only has Xbox as a prime console anyway? Go play Halo again. Playstation put FF on the world stage. The remake is co-funded by Sony, you expected them to share? LOL

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1478 Posts

At this point they should have just bought SE.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50585 Posts

I honestly don't get the point in Sony doing this. It's not like FF series sells like hot cakes on MS systems.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin: And doubling down even more. Lol

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidGame_basic  Online

Update on the story.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

Nice this means square wont split the last game.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sakaiXx

@Chutebox said:

I honestly don't get the point in Sony doing this. It's not like FF series sells like hot cakes on MS systems.

Brand perception.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

I understand a third party developed game like Helldivers 2 being only on Sony consoles. Sony published the game, Arrowhead developed it. Mutual relationship. But it makes no sense for a game like FF7 which is published AND developed by Square to be exclusive to any hardware.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidGame_basic  Online

@mysticaldonut said:

I understand a third party developed game like Helldivers 2 being only on Sony consoles. Sony published the game, Arrowhead developed it. Mutual relationship. But it makes no sense for games like FF7 which is published AND developed by Square to be exclusive to any hardware.

Because exclusivity works. Look at the Switch (except for the pirates 😄)

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MysticalDonut
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mysticaldonut said:

I understand a third party developed game like Helldivers 2 being only on Sony consoles. Sony published the game, Arrowhead developed it. Mutual relationship. But it makes no sense for games like FF7 which is published AND developed by Square to be exclusive to any hardware.

Yeah I'm just not really a fan of third party published games being hardware exclusive. I thought it was such BS when Rise of the Tomb Raider was published by Square, developed by Crystal Dynamics yet exclusive to Xbox One at the time of its release. Supposedly MS paid $10 million for it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61506 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Whatcha mean?

-----

OT: For the update, highly unlikely they're gonna secure the first 2 and not the 3rd.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sakaiXx
@lundy86_4 said:
@sakaixx said:

Whatcha mean?

Sony contractually paid for a trilogy which mean Square won't do shenanigans like splitting the last main game into more parts.

Of course its moot now that the website updated Sony only paid for part 1 and 2.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sakaiXx

@mysticaldonut said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Yeah I'm just not really a fan of third party published games being hardware exclusive. I thought it was such BS when Rise of the Tomb Raider was published by Square, developed by Crystal Dynamics yet exclusive to Xbox One at the time of its release. Supposedly MS paid $10 million for it.

Most outlet informed a rumor of $100m. $10m is way too cheap as most Tomb Raider fans is on PlayStation and Square would be insane to agree to that deal.

Not that hard to understand. Sony is selling a console, wants user engaged on that console. If game is available somewhere else then its less reason to own a PS (or Xbox, Nintendo).

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MysticalDonut
@sakaixx said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Most outlet informed a rumor of $100m. $10m is way too cheap as most Tomb Raider fans is on PlayStation and Square would be insane to agree to that deal.

Not that hard to understand. Sony is selling a console, wants user engaged on that console. If game is available somewhere else then its less reason to own a PS (or Xbox, Nintendo).

Oh yeah you're right. Idk how I got that mixed up. Ehhh memory is a little foggy I guess, that was literally 10 years ago now that the exclusivity was announced lol. Hard to believe 10 years since 2014 already.

Loading Video...

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Icrackurnuts
Member since 2024 • 64 Posts

@sakaixx: Sony releases there games on pc and Ms releases there games on pc so pretty much no reason to own either console excluding Nintendo but who knows that may change in the future

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Yuk... If the future of gaming is handled in the way Nintendo sees it we are effed...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lamprey263

Sony didn't deny, but didn't confirm what was said by Square Enix staff. I think someone made an oopsie mentioning something that was privileged and supposed to be locked behind terms of an NDA.

There likely is a deal and it was made by Matsuda, the one who sold Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider for peanuts to put into an NFT Haily Mary. So, not thinking too much about Square Enix's bottom line.

Of course Sony has a deal, and the games will be locked to PS console exclusivity until it runs its course.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SolidGame_basic  Online

@TheEroica said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Yuk... If the future of gaming is handled in the way Nintendo sees it we are effed...

I think the Nintendo of today is great. Instead of copying Playstation and Xbox, they gave us a hybrid console and they continue to give us remarkable games like ToTK!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61506 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Sony contractually paid for a trilogy which mean Square won't do shenanigans like splitting the last main game into more parts.

Of course its moot now that the website updated Sony only paid for part 1 and 2.

Ahhh, I get you. TBH, they covered a fair amount in Rebirth, so it's entirely viable to complete the last third from a technical perspective. Like you say, it's no guarantee.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic said:
@TheEroica said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@mysticaldonut said:

I think the Nintendo of today is great. Instead of copying Playstation and Xbox, they gave us a hybrid console and they continue to give us remarkable games like ToTK!

I agree with all that, but the way they price their exclusive games? My god no... Never. There are pirates because of their business model on pricing. 😂 Not saying Nintendo is a bad company. They have world class developers, but I wouldn't want their brand of exclusive game business structure as the norm.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8870 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: You cows are excited when PS buys 3rd party exclusives. But, when the shoe is on the other foot, y'all cry foul.