SSX Blur - Gone kiddy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chrismunx
Member since 2003 • 3964 Posts
I've always liked playing the SSX games, and I do plan on getting Blur. But is it me, or have they sort of "kiddy" the characters down for the Wii? Go look at the character art. You'll see what I mean.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
I never really noticed. The graphics are pretty nice for a Wii game, though.
Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tristam22
Member since 2006 • 1598 Posts
I've always liked playing the SSX games, and I do plan on getting Blur. But is it me, or have they sort of "kiddy" the characters down for the Wii? Go look at the character art. You'll see what I mean.chrismunx
Since when did SSX strive for realism?
MrAran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 MrAran
Member since 2005 • 4066 Posts
You're confusing kiddy with the 70's.

Kaarstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Kaarstein
Member since 2006 • 5306 Posts
I've always liked playing the SSX games, and I do plan on getting Blur. But is it me, or have they sort of "kiddy" the characters down for the Wii? Go look at the character art. You'll see what I mean.chrismunx
I would realy like to know your definition of kiddy, please.
chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chrismunx

[QUOTE="chrismunx"]I've always liked playing the SSX games, and I do plan on getting Blur. But is it me, or have they sort of "kiddy" the characters down for the Wii? Go look at the character art. You'll see what I mean.Tristam22

In the character design, it seems more towards realism. Of course the moves and the likes, very far fetched. But Blur just looks a bit toned down for the Wii. It's just an observation. Agree or disagree. That's the point here isn't it?

chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chrismunx

[QUOTE="chrismunx"]I've always liked playing the SSX games, and I do plan on getting Blur. But is it me, or have they sort of "kiddy" the characters down for the Wii? Go look at the character art. You'll see what I mean.Kaarstein

Kiddy = Cartoony

Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tristam22
Member since 2006 • 1598 Posts

[QUOTE="Tristam22"][QUOTE="chrismunx"]I've always liked playing the SSX games, and I do plan on getting Blur. But is it me, or have they sort of "kiddy" the characters down for the Wii? Go look at the character art. You'll see what I mean.chrismunx

In the character design, it seems more towards realism. Of course the moves and the likes, very far fetched. But Blur just looks a bit toned down for the Wii. It's just an observation. Agree or disagree. That's the point here isn't it?

I'm still talking about the character design. ALL of the SSX games feature stylistic character designs. I guess you could say Blur is yet more stylistic, but I never noticed any "kiddiness" factor to it.
Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nex_Ownage
Member since 2004 • 4753 Posts
Yeah, the chracters do seem more cartoony and and you can't punch people like in 3.
gnarlychar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gnarlychar
Member since 2004 • 3838 Posts

[QUOTE="Kaarstein"][QUOTE="chrismunx"]I've always liked playing the SSX games, and I do plan on getting Blur. But is it me, or have they sort of "kiddy" the characters down for the Wii? Go look at the character art. You'll see what I mean.chrismunx

Kiddy = Cartoony

Well in that case, half of your signature is "Kiddy"
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
I've only seen the vids of the game that had the little kid boarding around. I'm sure there are older selectable characters, like in the other SSX games. I prefer this look over the stupid punk/skater look that On Tour had.
Kaarstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kaarstein

[QUOTE="Kaarstein"][QUOTE="chrismunx"]I've always liked playing the SSX games, and I do plan on getting Blur. But is it me, or have they sort of "kiddy" the characters down for the Wii? Go look at the character art. You'll see what I mean.chrismunx

Kiddy = Cartoony

SSX on tour - PS2   SSX: Blur - Wii    Do you really see a different style of characters between on tour and Blur? :? (I couldnt find a character model on IGN or Gamespot, so I put up an extra pic of Blur)
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
i see it. looks more anime and "puffy" on wii.
farnham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 farnham
Member since 2003 • 21147 Posts
8.4 on GT!
Avatar image for TheCrimsonKoopa
TheCrimsonKoopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheCrimsonKoopa
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts
I really don't see what's special about this game. Do you sheep really have to hype every single game that comes to your console, and act like it's a killer ap?
Lanto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lanto
Member since 2004 • 1132 Posts

I really don't see what's special about this game. Do you sheep really have to hype every single game that comes to your console, and act like it's a killer ap?TheCrimsonKoopa

Maybe if every single game would stop looking friggin' awesome.

chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 chrismunx
[QUOTE="chrismunx"]

[QUOTE="Kaarstein"][QUOTE="chrismunx"]I've always liked playing the SSX games, and I do plan on getting Blur. But is it me, or have they sort of "kiddy" the characters down for the Wii? Go look at the character art. You'll see what I mean.gnarlychar

Kiddy = Cartoony

If you want to talk sig, most of the characters you see on my sig are more "anime" than "cartoony". But yer going off topic. Look at the first pic of the woman in the SSX Tour. Then go look at the character direction of Blur. Did someone say SSX was never about none realism? That pic just proves it.

Avatar image for TheCrimsonKoopa
TheCrimsonKoopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheCrimsonKoopa
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts
[QUOTE="gnarlychar"][QUOTE="chrismunx"]

Kiddy = Cartoony

If you want to talk sig, most of the characters you see on my sig are more "anime" than "cartoony". But yer going off topic. Look at the first pic of the woman in the SSX Tour. Then go look at the character direction of Blur. Did someone say SSX was never about none realism? That pic just proves it.

Same thing. :P

chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chrismunx
[QUOTE="chrismunx"][QUOTE="gnarlychar"][QUOTE="chrismunx"]

[QUOTE="Kaarstein"][QUOTE="chrismunx"]I've always liked playing the SSX games, and I do plan on getting Blur. But is it me, or have they sort of "kiddy" the characters down for the Wii? Go look at the character art. You'll see what I mean.TheCrimsonKoopa

Kiddy = Cartoony

Same thing. :P

Not at all. Go compare say Hellsing Ultimate to Viva Pinata and tell me which one is more "cartoony".

Kaarstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kaarstein

Not at all. Go compare say Hellsing Ultimate to Viva Pinata and tell me which one is more "cartoony".

chrismunx
Cartoon or toons are not a genre but medium, it has nothing to do with the content of the story On-topic: I really cant see much difference in the styles used. And even if I did see a slight change in styles, why should anyone care? Is it gonna affect the game in anyway?
chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chrismunx
[QUOTE="chrismunx"]

Kaarstein

Cartoon or toons are not a genre but medium, it has nothing to do with the content of the story On-topic: I really cant see much difference in the styles used. And even if I did see a slight change in styles, why should anyone care? Is it gonna affect the game in anyway?

The entire topic is not how the game is by looks of gameplay, but the characters. Go compare SSX Tour characters vs SSX Blur characters. Go look at the GT review. You'll see for yourself.

Metrovania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Metrovania
Member since 2003 • 2540 Posts
So? They've gone for a more stylized look... is that a problem?
Corvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Corvin
Member since 2002 • 7266 Posts
I dunno about all that. All I know is I miss Eddie from SSX Tricky voiced by David Arquette. "Just like I planned it... only BAD!"
Metrovania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Metrovania
Member since 2003 • 2540 Posts
[QUOTE="Kaarstein"][QUOTE="chrismunx"]

Not at all. Go compare say Hellsing Ultimate to Viva Pinata and tell me which one is more "cartoony".

chrismunx

The entire topic is not how the game is by looks of gameplay, but the characters. Go compare SSX Tour characters vs SSX Blur characters. Go look at the GT review. You'll see for yourself.

SSX on tour's characters lacked... well... character. They were just player-created puppets. With Blur the devs wanted to bring back a certain likability to the characters, as well as making it stand out from the older games in the series. I applaud both of the decisions.
XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts

Kiddy = Cartoony

they've always looked cartoony.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Kiddy = Cartoony

So DBZ BT2 is kiddy too?
Kaarstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Kaarstein
[QUOTE="Kaarstein"][QUOTE="chrismunx"]

chrismunx

I am downloading it now, I just wanted to know why it mattered?
Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Teh_Stevz
Member since 2005 • 5678 Posts
OBJECTION!
Kaarstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kaarstein
Just saw the video, and I still cant see the more "kiddy" aproach to the game, the reviewer himself said it wasnt much new besides the controller. :|
Harbadakus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Harbadakus
Member since 2005 • 5474 Posts
A lot of SSX fans are rather annoyed at the new character styles, they complain about it on forums a lot. (I googled SSX blur character art and ended up finding forum posts about it)
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
not as kiddy as amped 3, haven't you seen those kiddy sock puppets?
Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Teh_Stevz
A lot of SSX fans are rather annoyed at the new character styles, they complain about it on forums a lot. (I googled SSX blur character art and ended up finding forum posts about it) Harbadakus
Was it this thread by any chance? Or could you provide the link?
edeasknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 edeasknight
Member since 2004 • 1222 Posts
this thread is so redundant.
Harbadakus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Harbadakus
Member since 2005 • 5474 Posts
[QUOTE="Harbadakus"]A lot of SSX fans are rather annoyed at the new character styles, they complain about it on forums a lot. (I googled SSX blur character art and ended up finding forum posts about it) Teh_Stevz
Was it this thread by any chance? Or could you provide the link?

Not this thread, here are some links to some I found- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5466163#post5466163http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:qp8tQurPLCEJ:forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa%3FmessageID%3D1780110+ssx+blur+character+art&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=nz&client=firefox-a (site was down so it's a cached version) http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/ssxblur/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-33868722&pid=934381http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/ssxblur/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-33727372&pid=934381http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/ssxblur/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-33602857&pid=934381
Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Teh_Stevz
[QUOTE="Harbadakus"]Not this thread, here are some links to some I found- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5466163#post5466163http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:qp8tQurPLCEJ:forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa%3FmessageID%3D1780110+ssx+blur+character+art&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=nz&client=firefox-a (site was down so it's a cached version) http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/ssxblur/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-33868722&pid=934381http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/ssxblur/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-33727372&pid=934381http://www.gamespot.com/wii/sports/ssxblur/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-33602857&pid=934381

Yeah... I just scouted google for that EA one. I generally think it's what style they pose as when drawn. I wonder if the 3d models had some effect. What really confuzzled me is... Well... This.  I just gotta ask from my first post if the cover actually looks like that.