Steam Deck vs Switch OLED: Which is the Better Deal?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44129 Posts

Conclusion.... Nintendont is doomed...... Doooomed and Steam Rolled I tellz ya. lol :P

How soon until Nintendont goes 3rd party?

From the story.... "Let’s not mince words – Steam Deck’s hardware puts Switch OLED to shame."

The Story.

----

Nintendo Switch OLED and Steam Deck are set to arrive later this year, and they pose a unique dilemma for handheld gamers – should you pick up the latest Switch model for its impressive new screen and access to Nintendo exclusives, or do you opt for the bulky Steam Deck and have the entire world of PC gaming in the palm of your hands?

On paper, Steam Deck looks like it has a clear advantage over Switch OLED. Featuring some of the latest hardware on the market, Valve’s portable PC can run most next-gen games without a hitch, while Switch OLED is using the same internals from the original Switch launched in 2017.

However, there’s a bit more to the story than what’s packed behind the screen. Let’s take a closer look at these two impressive handhelds and figure out which one offers you the most value

----

Full story here...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/shopping/steam-deck-vs-switch-oled-which-is-the-better-deal/ar-AANo9dx

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45222 Posts

According to Herms, they're not supposed to be in direct comparison with each other 😄

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2144 Posts

Swich - some overpriced Nintendo games.

Deck - thousands of PC games from all gens + the ability to emulate Nintendo games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39109 Posts

The OLED is just here to ripoff Nintendo fans because when a Nintendo fan buys something, they don't ask themselves if said thing is worth getting. Its out, they buy it. Acitivision would kill to have this kind of fans. They would most likely rerelease the yearly CoD two to three times in a year and call it Yellow, Blue and Red versions.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

Switch is, I can easily find amazing games at retail stores or on the Eshop and all will work.

Steam Deck is too over saturated with games and we don’t know which all will work. And I can’t walk into store and get any physical games either.

Also Switch has way better features. Oled is amazing tech and LCD is outdated and old tech. Switch also has better audio and a nice adjustable stand. Switch also has better storage options and it’s games don’t take up much space at all as they are compressed impressively.

Switch also has a nice dock with USB and Ethernet port for gaming on the tv. You’ll also get a performance boost from the dock which you want with Steam. Also Steam comes with no dock or stand for plugging to you tv.

Another negative is support. Switch has amazing support for its hardware and games. Steam Deck will be relying on users to update. Which is not a great way to keep your system up to date.

Switch also has detachable controllers which can add to comfort while gaming, plus cool customization of colors. Also if you get drift, you can just send in your controller. If you get drift on your Steam Deck, you have to send in whole device.

Switch also has better storage options. While Steam Deck will use SD, it’s not recommended due to performance issues. Switch will run just fine on SD. Steam Deck is basically Vita 2, and it’s bad storage options will only help in out dating a system already looking like last gen.

Price is another win for Switch. You can get Switch for $199 to whereas Steam Deck is double that price at $399 with really bad storage space.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

I’ll take the Switch OLED myself. Oh yeah!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SecretPolice

@Archangel3371 said:

I’ll take the Switch OLED myself. Oh yeah!

Good stuff. ;)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SecretPolice

@rmpumper said:

Swich - some overpriced Nintendo games.

Deck - thousands of PC games from all gens + the ability to emulate Nintendo games.

Brutal...

:P

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44265 Posts

@SecretPolice: I thought you’d get a kick out of that. Glad you liked it. I’ve always enjoyed your gifs. 👍😅

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Steam Deck is for people who want a portable PC. Switch is for people who want a portable video game console. They're not really targeting the same market.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice

@Archangel3371 said:

@SecretPolice: I thought you’d get a kick out of that. Glad you liked it. I’ve always enjoyed your gifs. 👍😅

;)

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

Steamdeck is always a better deal as you get PC library and emulation including potentially Switch titles considering the progress of that app.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9406 Posts

Obviously the unlocked hardware is a better value. That's just common sense.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Different target markets like others have said, but if you have to compare the two and which is a better DEAL, then Steam Deck, and it's not even a hard debate. Depending on how many Steam games you already have, you get more games right out of the box at no additional cost. Games are cheaper because PC is open market with 80% off sales, you'll never have to re-buy your games, and you don't have to buy any $30 toys to unlock quality of life game features. That's a better deal right there.

Just do the breakdown:

Steam Deck is $650 for the best model

Switch OLED is $350

$300 difference in hardware.

That's just (5) Nintendo games at $60.

So the option price wise is weaker hardware with 5 games with paid internet and DLC figures.

Or

Stronger hardware with your exsisting library, cheaper games, no internet fees, and the ability to emulate games on the weaker hardware. Oh, and it will be able to stream any app you want.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Steam Deck is hands down the best deal to me. All of my Steam games will be playable on it and even if I decide to stop using the device in the future all of my games stay with me on Steam.

Plus if EGS truly gets supported on this thing then the number of games I have for it just increased by a whole lot (free giveaways).

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

That varies from person to person.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Switch is an overpriced weak piece of shit.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@rmiller365: Absolutely. Mind you, I already own a Switch (and like it). But even then, only a handful of my Steam library is available on Switch, and then rebuying those games to play them on the Switch quickly approaches the cost of the Steam Deck... and at the end of it all I'd still be left almost my entire Steam library untouchable on it. Just buying the Deck and get hundreds of games for "free" (compared to rebuying them).

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

A side from the buttons position. I love the stream deck. I can use it as a pc as well. Much better deal than the Switc.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7307 Posts

@hardwenzen: Dude, there are at most about 14 million Nintendo fans who will buy anything just because Nintendo made it (WiiU sales figures). The Switch is flying off shelves because non-Nintendo fans like it.

Anyway, yeah, Steam Deck is the better deal. Better hardware, bigger library, cheeper games, free online. However, as is usually the case with console vs PC, convenience is a deciding factor for many. Modern PC games are weighing in at 100gb apiece, so even if you pick up the full-fat 512gb Deck, that shit's gonna fill up quick. You're going to have quite the micro-SD card collection before long unless you stick to small indies and older games. Which brings us to compatibility issues, a common issue especially with older titles. Some folks just don't have the know-how or patience to deal with it. If this thing is going to move Switch numbers, it needs to appeal to the crowd that couldn't tell you what a Linux is.

And let's be real, Switch is already pushing the size limit of a "handheld" console, and the Deck is even bigger.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11802 Posts

Steam Deck is the better deal, the Nintendo Switch pretty much only has exclusives going for it now

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59062 Posts

Nintendo is where cult like fanatics go to get ripped off.

Valve treats its users with love and care.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

I don't like Small gaming PC's that run outa batteries fast are big and fat

Switch OLED for me

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#25 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6098 Posts

SD without question.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22388 Posts

Lol, Switch success is causing so much saltiness.

Anyway, both have their market. I'll be sticking with the Switch OLED for now, but will keep an eye on the SD.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9574 Posts

Once again there is no reason to decide if you simply choose both like me. Then again, I suppose I chose the Steam Deck since I already have a Switch I always keep docked and since the OLED gets no better performance... well it's the same damn thing. Therefore like I said before, both. However now I'm confused since it doesn't answer the question but still does for my specific situation.. :P

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Can you even watch Netflix on Switch yet? The only good thing besides OLED screen is exclusives. Without exclusives Switch would be dead.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mesome713

@joshrmeyer: No, only Hulu.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mtron32
Member since 2006 • 4432 Posts

@xantufrog said:

@rmiller365: Absolutely. Mind you, I already own a Switch (and like it). But even then, only a handful of my Steam library is available on Switch, and then rebuying those games to play them on the Switch quickly approaches the cost of the Steam Deck... and at the end of it all I'd still be left almost my entire Steam library untouchable on it. Just buying the Deck and get hundreds of games for "free" (compared to rebuying them).

Assuming you have 500 games, are you actually going to go back and play all 500 of those games? At best you'd have about 10 that you love and play those, plus the random cool looking game that you try on Deck just because you can. I have 7 steam games, never got into it too extensively, so I'm in the same boat as I'd be buying a Switch for the first time.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@mtron32: oh no. I will never replay all of them. But there are dozens i still play, plus any future games I want to buy for steam. It's impossible to buy all of those games for Switch (most not available) and rebuying 10'll get you Steam Deck. I might as well, even setting aside all the "it's way more powerful" etc chest thumping some are doing. My Switch well still be there for Dread and whatever Nintendo adds to the chute

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mtron32

@judaspete said:

@hardwenzen: Dude, there are at most about 14 million Nintendo fans who will buy anything just because Nintendo made it (WiiU sales figures). The Switch is flying off shelves because non-Nintendo fans like it.

Anyway, yeah, Steam Deck is the better deal. Better hardware, bigger library, cheeper games, free online. However, as is usually the case with console vs PC, convenience is a deciding factor for many. Modern PC games are weighing in at 100gb apiece, so even if you pick up the full-fat 512gb Deck, that shit's gonna fill up quick. You're going to have quite the micro-SD card collection before long unless you stick to small indies and older games. Which brings us to compatibility issues, a common issue especially with older titles. Some folks just don't have the know-how or patience to deal with it. If this thing is going to move Switch numbers, it needs to appeal to the crowd that couldn't tell you what a Linux is.

And let's be real, Switch is already pushing the size limit of a "handheld" console, and the Deck is even bigger.

These are my two biggest issues with the Deck. Switch games are optimized to work on the Switch and not suck up space while the selling point of the SD is playing 1-1 PC games on the go, that thing will fill up fast. Plus, if I'm only going to be playing indies, then I'll just stick with the Switch since they're all on there and I own it.

The size is another thing, the Switch is almost too big, the SD is gargantuan and this is coming from a dude who can palm a basketball in each hand comfortable. The size and the heat from the power output I'm interested in seeing. I already have it reserved, but definitely waiting till I see some month long in hand reviews till I decided to keep it or not.

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mtron32
@joshrmeyer said:

Can you even watch Netflix on Switch yet? The only good thing besides OLED screen is exclusives. Without exclusives Switch would be dead.

I have no idea because I can already view it on multiple devices, all I need Switch to do is play indie games.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Sorry but the steam deck is garbage, 2 hours of battery, horrible button placement (that alone is enough to ruin it for me), gigantic for a "portable", runs linux which isn't compatible with a lot of games, it's a good idea horribly designed.

Switch isn't perfect, but I'll gladly take it over the deck.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xantufrog  Moderator

@mtron32: the heat is great - check out Linus's review with a thermal sensor. Its size makes it cooler

mtron32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mtron32

@xantufrog said:

@mtron32: the heat is great - check out Linus's review with a thermal sensor. Its size makes it cooler

Nice, if the size is what keeps it cool, then the V2 Steam Deck is going to be it.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xantufrog  Moderator

@mtron32: that was his speculation anyway - more room for it to breathe, and the larger ergo case compared to similar devices simply keeps your hands farther from the heat . I was glad to see that - hot sweaty mobile gaming is no fun

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1871 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

According to Herms, they're not supposed to be in direct comparison with each other 😄

Preemptive damage control. When this thing sells below 10 million life time, they'll say "it wasn't a competition anyway!" even though THEY started this mess.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

Switch Oled will sell more price inflated bundles than Valve will sell Steamdecks. 😄

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34655 Posts

Depends on if you want to play Switch or Steam games.

If we're talking "more bang for your buck", it's definitely SteamDeck though. The hardware is much better than Switch's hardware, and costs about what it's worth. Nintendo's hardware should cost less than it does, but costs more, because "Nintendo". Just like Apple's phones. The games are also way the hell cheaper on Steam than the Switch, which means the SteamDeck+library is much cheaper in the long run than Switch+library.

Let's see. I bought a Switch for 400 bucks. Got like 10 games for it for 70 bucks a pop (this is what games cost in my country. You should see the price of PS5 games). That's 1100 bucks. Yikes. For that kind of money, I could own a portable machine that is way more powerful than the Switch and a humongous library of already owned or much cheaper games. Even the same games that are on Switch costs up to 80% less on Steam.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-620299e29a26a

@luxuryheart: I don't know about that one man. Gabe flat out said Steam Deck wasn't a competitor to the Switch from the get go, and various forums I saw for the steam deck announcement had PC gamers excited about it and the more extreme Nintendo fans bashing it as hard as possible. Even on this forum, the announcement thread had Mesome in full blown meltdown mode commenting on anything positive with a negative one and trying to downplay everything about it. Casey drolls on about sales vs the Switch in every steam deck thread like it's a vote for a middle school popularity contest. There's extremes on preference for all sides, but the Steam Deck announcement definitely got extreme Nintendo fanboys chugging that Hatorade.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mesome713

@rmiller365: We will destroy it. We will not rest until this device is out of production. Mark our words.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-620299e29a26a

@mesome713: Have fun with that noise 😆

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mesome713

@rmiller365: O we will.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@zerothehero said:

I don't like Small gaming PC's that run outa batteries fast are big and fat

Switch OLED for me

Yeah because a Switch OLED is compact?... Its a handheld right?... Like a phone.

Stop it!

Nintendo fans been trying to convince people that things is handheld not fooling anyone.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5558 Posts

Love my Switcherooo.... but steam deck is what I been waiting on for years

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

Games are more suitable for me on Steam Deck. So the choice is easy. I think the Nintendo is more for the peaceful kind or something.