Tears confusion. Is this a sequel to botw?

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3750 Posts

Seems like a reimagining of the world to me.

Why am I fighting Gannon again who is somehow sealed away beneath the castle when I just beat him in the last game? Makes no sense.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2680 Posts

Is this only your 2nd Zelda game?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5294 Posts

After playing Tears of the Kingdom for several hours, I still do not understand why much of Hyrule (especially Central Hyrule) is still in ruins even after several years since the end of Breath of the Wild. Other than construction of the Skyward Towers and Lookout Landing, the towns that were destroyed during the Great Calamity more than a hundred years ago in Breath of the Wild are not rebuilt.

It is many things in Tears of the Kingdom that do not make sense.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44546 Posts

I fail to see how someone can see Tears of the Kingdom for being anything but a sequel to Breath of the Wild. 😐

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

If you're just playing for the story for some reason then no not really. The main plot in both games is weak and doubly so in TOTK when you consider that it's damn near the exact same plot, and all the back-of-the-box bulletpoints are the same. They just went into a thesaurus and jumbled up the words.

But the gameplay is a solid refresh on an already very good game.

This is the kind of game sequel we don't get too often anymore, wherein they don't reinvent the engine or it's mechanics, they just add a some strong new gimmicks on top and let that define the experience.

TOTK is very much like Mario Galaxy 2 in that sense.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16604 Posts

@tjandmia: another 🤡 thread from you. Though not surprising either from someone that warships marx and sony. Ooff.

Asking why you're fighting Ganon again 😆 🤣. This is Nintendo, you will always fight bowser, and Gannon every single time. Nintendo isn't narrative driven movie gamer like Sony is. They can't even be bothered to create a new story and villain.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

I've put in 130+ hours into the game so far.

At first I felt somewhat the same. What more could this game do to really get my excitement, and how could this top BoTW?

I find there's been a significant expansion, both mechanically and in the world size itself. The addition of Zonai devices, have also completely changed up the core mechanics.

There is so much more to TotK than there was to BotW, and there's a wealth of side quests that are worthwhile and great at seeing much of what the game has to offer.

I dunno where to even begin with TotK, but I think this game is special, and it does a lot of things for open world design right and it's true in the sense that you can do anything in any order, and create your own adventure.

I do think it's unfortunate others aren't enjoying TotK. Not sure what you're thinking while going in; surpassing BotW according to critics, and several months of it being one of biggest games of the year, I think going in that leads to a lot of hype that can kill the game. Hopefully it clicks with you.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

I love this subject. So before i infiltrate this conversation, i need to see some shills shillin' a botw expansion with Rust building system.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3750 Posts

@hardwenzen: Feels more like an expansion than a complete game. This is true. $70 expansion. 😂

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

@tjandmia: It’s the highest rated game of all time in the history of the universe. Cry more Clown Cows.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

It's honestly just one huge DLC tbh

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34774 Posts

Yeah, it is a sequel to BotW. You're welcome.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22976 Posts

I'm probably 6 hours in... Was not a fan of the opening sky island tutorial shrines and layout. Felt slow and meh.... Now that the game has opened up and Im exploring hyrule I'm having a good time with the game. It doesn't have the impact that botw had, but I knew that going into it.

I am on the fence with zoni devices and the general approach to building contraptions and gadgets etc... I find it momentum busting in a way... Still way too early to have a real opinion on the game over time, but I'm happy to see it's getting better every time I pick up my switch.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

@TheEroica: Yeah, the building stuff slowly grows on you little by little. I didn’t like building in the beginning. I just walked and rode my horse everywhere.

Avatar image for clockworkbanana
ClockWorkBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ClockWorkBanana
Member since 2022 • 270 Posts
@tjandmia said:

Seems like a reimagining of the world to me.

Why am I fighting Gannon again who is somehow sealed away beneath the castle when I just beat him in the last game? Makes no sense.

Calamity Ganon was his evil spirit or some shit. The story is ass. The entire game is pointless. It's one of the worst Zeldas imo.

@ghostofgolden said:

Is this only your 2nd Zelda game?

You dont repeat the exact same story beats as Ocarina Of Time and fight Ganon again in Majoras Mask, same with ALTTP and ALBW

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

TotK is a direct sequel to BoTW. Basically it takes place somewhere around 6-7 years after BoTW.

As for the whole Ganon/Ganondorf thing, this threads into spoilers territory. So here goes:

Ganondorf was essentially sealed underneath Hyrule Castle over 10000 years ago. As he was sealed, his hatred grew and became the malice (that dark jelly-looking thing you see all over Hyrule) that you see in BoTW. Through this malice he continuously attacked Hyrule as Calamity Ganon (basically his puppet). In that state, Ganondorf is using a fraction of his power. After the seal is disturbed at the start of ToTK, it breaks and he awakes. Still not at full power but far more powerful than his "Calamity" persona. The Upheaval happens and it changes the landscape of Hyrule into what you see in ToTK (minus the new constructions).

Hope that was clear.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Sounds like someone did not really play the game.