UK sales chart: Pokken DX & street fighter 2 has stronger debut than marvel vs capcom infinite

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/top-10-uk-sales-chart-destiny-2-continues-its-domi/1100-6453561/

1. Destiny 2
  2. Project Cars 2
  3. NBA 2K18
  4. Pro Evolution Soccer 2016
  5. Pokken Tournament DX
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  8. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  9. Forza Horizon 3
  10. Lego Worlds

MvsC infinite was #12

such a shame. i mean i am glad the switch ports are selling. but it is sad to see the capcom fighting games in a downward sales spiral. marvel vs capcom series is in my top 3 fighting games. i love watching it. i just can't play it lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59197 Posts

On launch day it wasn't even on the Steam top 10.

Game itself isn't bad though, and this is coming from a fighting game expert.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

That's unfortunate.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#4 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

MvCI is one of those examples where a sequel is worse than its predecessor. Maybe not in the gameplay department, but the character roster is pretty crap compared to UMvC3. So I'm not surprised it didn't do too well.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KBFloYd

@svaubel said:

MvCI is one of those examples where a sequel is worse than its predecessor. Maybe not in the gameplay department, but the character roster is pretty crap compared to UMvC3. So I'm not surprised it didn't do too well.

some people are saying lack of Xmen is a big reason.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

It's sad to see. In the gameplay department Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite is excellent however in the presentation of the game it's really disappointing. MvC3 had an amazing cinematic intro whereas this one has absolutely none. The menus are terribly bland and the graphical quality of the characters is a bit of a mixed bag. The story, while it has some good moments here and there, is generally kind of awkward. There's a decent smattering of modes and online play can be incredibly smooth. While I do like the game in general Capcom sure makes it difficult to do so because it really lacks the pizazz that the previous game had.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#7 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

kinda setting the bar low there :P

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KBFloYd

@aigis said:

what?

wait.. are you saying me bragging about pokken and sf2 beating marvel is not impressive because marvel sucks?

marvel is a great game. anyway the title is me gloating but the actual discussion is why marvel is flopping.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Pokken is great, so I have no complaints there.

I do find it hilarious that it has managed to beat a new AAA Capcom fighter TWICE now though :P

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@aigis said:

what?

wait.. are you saying me bragging about pokken and sf2 beating marvel is not impressive because marvel sucks?

marvel is a great game. anyway the title is me gloating but the actual discussion is why marvel is flopping.

MvC is a great game... usually. MvCI had a lot of problems that people complained about leading into the game, its not really a surprise it isnt doing that well

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KBFloYd

@charizard1605 said:

Pokken is great, so I have no complaints there.

I do find it hilarious that it has managed to beat a new AAA Capcom fighter TWICE now though :P

oh yea...pokken beat SF5 launch. pokken launched march 2016 and SF5 feb 2016.

was it in UK too? or other places.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

I know it's a trend throughout the genre... but buying fighting characters as DLC is just not appealing and makes for a real unattractive package to anyone sitting on the fence.

I miss the days of playing the game to unlock the whole roster.

GloriousNippon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GloriousNippon
Member since 2011 • 209 Posts

@enzyme36:

But friend. in old day you buy entire new game to get extra character. And base game then less roster to start.

Marvel 2 example. Not new game, only arrange content of old game. Buy Xman vs Street Fighter. Then Marvel Super vs Street Fighter. Then Marvel vs Capcom. Then in end buy Marvel 2, collection of previous game. They change name but same game Very expensive.

I buy Street Fighter 2 four time before having finalize version in Super. Start with 8 character. Then 12. Then end in 16. Today less than.

Modern practice no honorable but better than before friend.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

Nice on the U.K charts, looks like everyone did well and sorry to hear about MvC Infinite did horribly but then again, the demo I played was really lacking and this is a downgrade version from MvC3. Better luck next time Crapcom.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
@svaubel said:

No Xmen put a damper on things, but even on the Capcom side the roster is lacking.

Terrible reveal, made even worse by DBFZ coming out of the blue looking awesome.

Allegedly a terrible demo, never tried it myself, but I haven't seen a single person say the demo was good lol.

Technically average graphics for a 2017 game with some very inconsistent models and overall just a boring art direction compared to previous Marvel games. Even though this game does much more on a technical level than UMVC3, it doesn't look nearly as good.

Presentation is lazy af, no epic intro, placeholder looking UI, generic MCU sounding music on the Marvel side.

No real marketing push.

Awful PR leading to memes among the FGC, like Function vs Function.

-

Basically it's like Capcom/Marvel went out of their way to make sure people don't want to buy this game.

On the bright side, the gameplay is excellent and the netplay is very good as well. They got the most important shit right, but of course that only works for the core fanbase who buys every fighting game anyways. It's like Capcom forgot they can also sell these games to a mainstream audience lol.

I'm certain this game has a long life ahead of it and will likely keep a strong competitive scene going for years, but it's like fvck, they could've grown their player base, pleased long time fans, and sold a hell of a lot more copies.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KBFloYd

@ConanTheStoner said:
@KBFloYd said:

No Xmen put a damper on things, but even on the Capcom side the roster is lacking.

Terrible reveal, made even worse by DBFZ coming out of the blue looking awesome.

Allegedly a terrible demo, never tried it myself, but I haven't seen a single person say the demo was good lol.

Technically average graphics for a 2017 game with some very inconsistent models and overall just a boring art direction compared to previous Marvel games. Even though this game does much more on a technical level than UMVC3, it doesn't look nearly as good.

Presentation is lazy af, no epic intro, placeholder looking UI, generic MCU sounding music on the Marvel side.

No real marketing push.

-

Basically it's like Capcom/Marvel went out of their way to make sure people don't want to buy this game.

On the bright side, the gameplay is excellent and the netplay is very good as well. They got the most important shit right, but of course that only works for the core fanbase who buys every fighting game anyways. It's like Capcom forgot they can also sell these games to a mainstream audience lol.

I'm certain this game has a long life ahead of it and will likely keep a strong competitive scene going for years, but it's like fvck, they could've grown their player base, pleased long time fans, and sold a hell of a lot more copies.

max put up a review similar to yours :)

Loading Video...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts
Loading Video...

For this, they deserve to be at the bottom of the pile. I thought Juri's theme in SFV was fucked, but holy shit.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KBFloYd

@freedomfreak said:

For this, they deserve to be at the bottom of the pile. I thought Juri's theme in SFV was fucked, but holy shit.

holy shit ..........literally

lmao

Avatar image for yammireckorrdsan
YammiReckorrdSan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 YammiReckorrdSan
Member since 2016 • 616 Posts

I wanted to get MVCU but the character roster is lame. There are so little new characters, and the most character that interset me is fucking DLC (Female monster hunter)

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

Game doesn't have the same charm of mvc3... It feels so boring to watch... Mvc3 was a treat to watch, I didn't miss watching an event for it since release... I am not a fighting game expert or anything either.

Long story short, something feels off about this game. Just look at dante doing his bnb combos between this and mvc3 and you will see why this game is just not attractive to watch at all.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KBFloYd

@2mrw said:

Game doesn't have the same charm of mvc3... It feels so boring to watch... Mvc3 was a treat to watch, I didn't miss watching an event for it since release... I am not a fighting game expert or anything either.

Long story short, something feels off about this game. Just look at dante doing his bnb combos between this and mvc3 and you will see why this game is just not attractive to watch at all.

gonna have to disagree

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I believe Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite will have legs. I think the FGC will keep the game alive and sales will come overtime. It's a concerning start for the game, but I'm sure it will pick up a strong fanbase. :)

Pokken seems to be off to a good start. I'm still on the fence about the game, personally. I was on the fence with the Wii U version, and I still feel the same way with the Switch version.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46493 Posts

It's always the next game that gets punished after people buy a load of crap from a developers/series

AC Unity was the technical mess, but AC Syndicate took the hit

Street Fighter V was a commercial mess, but now MvC seems to be taking the hit

An exception to this seems to be BF1 when loads of people got burned by BF4 and the technical mess it was, but maybe that's because DICE/EA showed a lot of good will by fixing everything and releasing some free stuff.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Marvel Cinematic Universe vs. Capcom...not surprised.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I feel Dragon Ball Fighter Z ruined MVC.

It looks and plays better than it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@KBFloYd said:
@svaubel said:

No real marketing push.

-

I also like to point out some folks I know (and I also read the forums) are waiting for Capcom to release ultimate edition, super duper ultimate edition whatever on Infinite. Capcom really hurt MvC brand when they screw everyone on MvC3, yeah remember that? I can see why MvC Infinite flop, nobody isn't gonna buy this version until Capcom releases whatever the ultimate edition will be.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I'll buy Street Fighter when the price goes down. Not payin that price.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@freedomfreak: I must be missing something cause that seems to suit Dante pretty well?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Marvel Cinematic Universe vs. Capcom...not surprised.

It's very disappointing! All for their pathetic grudge against Fox.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

An NBA game above a football (soccer) game in UK?

O_o''

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts
@davillain- said:

I also like to point out some folks I know (and I also read the forums) are waiting for Capcom to release ultimate edition, super duper ultimate edition whatever on Infinite. Capcom really hurt MvC brand when they screw everyone on MvC3, yeah remember that? I can see why MvC Infinite flop, nobody isn't gonna buy this version until Capcom releases whatever the ultimate edition will be.

Not sure I follow man. Are you saying they screwed over MvC3 players by releasing UMvC3?

Nothing wrong with holding out for a final version of the game of course, but that's not screwing people over either. That's just fighting games. A lot of successful fighting games get revisions and new content. The model has changed over the years for some, but that constant remains the same.

This has been a thing across multiple fighting game franchises for about 25 years now though. Mortal Kombat. MvC. Street Fighter numbered, Alpha, and EX. Guilty Gear. Blazblue. Skullgirls. etc. I highly doubt MvC3 having an ultimate version pissed off the same user base that bought 3 or 4 different versions of plenty of other games lol.

I'm not about to go through the whole history of fighting games back to SF2, but even this gen things haven't changed. Some games still require you buy multiple versions of the same game, or full updates that cost half the price of a game (Guilty Gear XRD, MKX, Blazblue, Skullgirls). Others are going with Season pass models which are pretty much the same thing. Others have made a great step forward by keeping everyone on the same version (balance/mode/feature/online pool), offering full passes, but also offering you the option to only pick up what you want individually.

Still though, new content in fighting games has always been a thing, has never been free and never will be.

Couple of examples here.

First example is of a game that released not too long before MVC3:

- SF4 > SSF4 > SF4AE > AE2012 > Ultra.

Next example is of a current gen game:

- GGXRD Sign > GGXRD Rev > GGXRD Rev 2 (still may be more coming)

And last, lets go with the game in the title of this thread that started the whole trend 25 years ago, and still outsells MvCI:

- SF2 > SF2CE > SF2THF > SSF2 > SSF2T > SSF2HDR > USF2....

---

So really bro. You're trying to tell me that out of all the fighting games in the past 25 years to have multiple versions, it's MvC3 that pissed people off with a single (awesome) revision? I don't buy that bro.

MvCI is flopping for all kinds of reasons, but the existence of UMVC3, a game that fans of the series dearly love, is not one of them lol.

Edit: Just curious aren't you an Injustice 2 fan? Injustice 2 Ultimate edition cost more than buying MvC3 and then UMvC3 back at the times they came out. And there are still more passes to come. Like, really, I don't get it lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Street Fighter 5 looks a billion times better than infinite

capcom messed that whole game up