What games have had an ever lasting impression on you?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45203 Posts

Metal Gear Solid and Ocarina of Time come to mind for me. It could be nostalgia, or how 3D gaming was just getting started then and we hadn't experience games like that before. But what's had an impression on me all these years is the character's journey and experiencing that journey with them. With MGS, you weren't just playing a tough guy who shoots at people. There's a lot more depth to the character, the story and even the conversations with your comrades along the way. It's like reading a good book where you might learn something in the end lol. As for Ocarina of Time, the character's journey from kid to adulthood is also relatable to the gamer at that time. And how Nintendo implements those themes is brilliant.

Well anyhoo, that's my Sunday fun day topic. How about you, SW? What games have had an ever lasting impression on you?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

Metroid Prime Remaster, greatest game ever made.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59051 Posts

Halflife.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24948 Posts
  • Deus Ex
  • System Shock 2
  • STALKER
  • Half life 1 and 2
  • Doom and Doom Eternal
  • Quake 1
  • Max Payne
  • Mafia
  • Splinter cell Chaos theory
  • Chronicles of Riddick escape from Butcher Bay
  • Metro 2033 and Last light

all these games are truly some of the greatest games I have ever played and put ever lasting impression from start to finish.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

"As for Ocarina of Time, the character's journey from kid to adulthood is also relatable to the gamer at that time."

Yes, many a homie has regaled me with tales of how they once pulled a sword from a pedestal to suddenly become an adult. :-S

But I agree with this one. The game is unique for me, it felt like the story or journey was communicated with music as much as with the visuals. It definitely left a strong impression and feeling. I don't feel like I've had that from any other game.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7303 Posts

The first Wing Commander. Later entries and Star/Freelancer were better games, but the first one stuck with me. The scope was epic, the situation was dire, there were real consequences to your failures. Felt bad about losing a wingman in a way that no game had made me feel before. It's a hard game to go back to since many others have done it better since, but it left a lasting impression on young judaspete.

Super Mario Bros. My parents did not let me get a NES. They weren't too keen on videogaming in general early on (that changed eventually in gen 5). So anytime I went to a friend's house that had it, I'd play Mario as much as they would let me. So yeah, I was that kid that came over to play your Nintendo.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 above_average
Member since 2021 • 1566 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 2: Son's of Liberty

Absolutely mind blowing game for 2001.

Very few games today even manage to measure up to it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

No particular standouts, at least not like that. Just some games that informed my preferences, at least for a time. Or games that were milestones in my experience.

---

SMB1 - First game that had me thinking gaming was awesome.

SMB3 - Mind blown, up to that point didn't think a game could be that good.

Zelda 1 - First "open" game I played that was about adventure and exploration.

Contra - Most games of the era were challenging, but Contra really drove home how rewarding they can be.

TMNT Arcade (NES) - Loved the actual arcade version, but up to that point, didn't think we could get decent home versions of games like that.

Mike Tysons Punchout - It's Mike Tyson. In Punchout.

Double Dragon 2 and Ninja Gaiden 2 - My favs of both OG series. 80s kid. Bad ass Ninjas and shit in my video games. Unlike most of what I played before, showed how the right contextualization can take an experience further.

Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat - Similar to above, 80s/90s martial arts action. Taken to a new level, big wow factor for the time. In SF2s case, showed me a whole new level of depth and competitive gaming.

DOOM - Even having played Wolf 3d before it, still felt like nothing I had ever played. SMB3 level of mind blown.

Phantasy Star IV - First "huge" story driven game I played. First RPG as well. So different from everything I was used to.

Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger - Same as above, just taken to another level. Genre gold standard for me, slowly down hill from there.

Final Fantasy 7 - Insane production values, stuff I never could have imagined leading up to it.

Ocarina of Time - I was actually bummed about most games going 3d. OoT was the first to fully convince me. Not only in the fact that it worked so well, but how they were able to communicate so much more mood and atmosphere than what I'd played prior.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Not my first stealth game, but the first that really had me sold on the concept. And like some of Kojimas other games, gave me a false sense of where gaming was headed in terms of interactivity and detail lol.

---

Alright, that's probably too much as is.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34648 Posts

Could just list all my favorite games, but yeah. Games like OoT, Mario 64 and Super Metroid are crazy memorable. Will also forever remember the glory days of Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39061 Posts

Many. Perfect Dark cuz it was my first fps. Oblivion cuz it was my first open world game. Demon's Souls cuz i lost my virginity to Fromsoft because of this game. HALO CE because it felt to me like an incredible video game for its time.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic
@HalcyonScarlet said:

"As for Ocarina of Time, the character's journey from kid to adulthood is also relatable to the gamer at that time."

Yes, many a homie has regaled me with tales of how they once pulled a sword from a pedestal to suddenly become an adult. :-S

haha

@ConanTheStoner said:

No particular standouts, at least not like that. Just some games that informed my preferences, at least for a time. Or games that were milestones in my experience.

---

SMB1 - First game that had me thinking gaming was awesome.

SMB3 - Mind blown, up to that point didn't think a game could be that good.

Zelda 1 - First "open" game I played that was about adventure and exploration.

Contra - Most games of the era were challenging, but Contra really drove home how rewarding they can be.

TMNT Arcade (NES) - Loved the actual arcade version, but up to that point, didn't think we could get decent home versions of games like that.

Mike Tysons Punchout - It's Mike Tyson. In Punchout.

Double Dragon 2 and Ninja Gaiden 2 - My favs of both OG series. 80s kid. Bad ass Ninjas and shit in my video games. Unlike most of what I played before, showed how the right contextualization can take an experience further.

Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat - Similar to above, 80s/90s martial arts action. Taken to a new level, big wow factor for the time. In SF2s case, showed me a whole new level of depth and competitive gaming.

DOOM - Even having played Wolf 3d before it, still felt like nothing I had ever played. SMB3 level of mind blown.

Phantasy Star IV - First "huge" story driven game I played. First RPG as well. So different from everything I was used to.

Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger - Same as above, just taken to another level. Genre gold standard for me, slowly down hill from there.

Final Fantasy 7 - Insane production values, stuff I never could have imagined leading up to it.

Ocarina of Time - I was actually bummed about most games going 3d. OoT was the first to fully convince me. Not only in the fact that it worked so well, but how they were able to communicate so much more mood and atmosphere than what I'd played prior.

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Not my first stealth game, but the first that really had me sold on the concept. And like some of Kojimas other games, gave me a false sense of where gaming was headed in terms of interactivity and detail lol.

---

Alright, that's probably too much as is.

Must be nice to have played the franchise all the way back to when they started.

MGS 2… the NYC setting always struck a cord for me, particularly because it came out soon after 9/11. Then there’s the whole prophetic message about the power of the information age too. And then there’s the actual game part which had a ton of hype back then at the time. Oh and can’t forget switcharoo with Raiden lol

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44248 Posts

A good number. A few standouts would be:

Games that introduced me to their respective franchises like

- Final Fantasy

- The Legend of Zelda

- Dragon Warrior

- Super Mario Bros.

- Street Fighter II

Great games that are my all time favourites

- Final Fantasy 6 and 7

- Chrono Trigger and Cross

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

- Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3

- Super Mario Bros. 3 and World

- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15935 Posts

Mine is:

• Bloodborne (aka GOAT)
  • Persona 3
  • Starcraft
  • FF7 and Tactics Ogre Knights of Lodis
  • Rollercoaster Tycoon
  • Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and World
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

Must be nice to have played the franchise all the way back to when they started.

lol sometimes. It's nice to have seen where these things come from, but also a bummer seeing where some of them go. Regress, transform for the worse, vanish, etc.

@SolidGame_basic said:

MGS 2… the NYC setting always struck a cord for me, particularly because it came out soon after 9/11. Then there’s the whole prophetic message about the power of the information age too. And then there’s the actual game part which had a ton of hype back then at the time. Oh and can’t forget switcharoo with Raiden lol

Yeah, the Raiden swap only bothered me initially. Early on it was clear you're just viewing Solids story through the lens of an initiate. Was actually pretty dope, always thought it was a smooth brain complaint lol. Admittedly some of the Raiden/Rose shit was too much, but overall it was pretty cool.

Usually laugh at all the Kojima prophecy shit, but the forethought in MGS2 was like damn. Has some pretty specific application to much of what we see today.

Yeah, game was slick. Managed to exceed its already insane hype in so many ways. Still a game I'd gladly replay.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9406 Posts

Outer Wilds

There are a lot of games that had a lasting impression on me, but Outer Wilds came to my mind first.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4578 Posts

MGS 1 & 2

Road Rash

Super Mario 64

Golden Sun 1 & 2

Final Fantasy 7 & 10

KotoR 1 & 2

Need for Speed Underground

Persona 4 Golden

Demon's Souls

Dark Souls

Bloodborne

Elden Ring

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Wolf3D blew my mind back in the day, Quake III Arena made me some amazing life long friends, FFVII was exceedingly good, such a splendid game in every way, but the biggest impression came from Everquest 1999 - 2004, it was like a world you could escape to after being at work all day and had the best gaming community there ever was.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3068 Posts

@pelvist said:

Wolf3D blew my mind back in the day.

Same. I only got to play it at random places like Radio Shack and Walmart, so it was my unicorn. Then I saved up $80 to buy Spear of Destiny, then got home and found out the disks were corrupted. Had to wait months before I could return it for a working copy. Then my brother wouldn't let me use the keyboard because I would "wear out the keys". I played and beat that whole game with the mouse. And I loved every second of it. There was a lot of effort you had to put in just to play games back then.

Plenty of other classics are right next to it; LttP, FFIV, Warcraft, StarCraft, Halo CE, etc.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

To name a few

Elden Ring (I know its pretty new but damn an open world souls game just tickles my pickle)

MGS3

MGS5

TLOU

Kotor

RE2 remake and original

State of Decay 2 (sorta my comfort game from some odd reason)

Ghost of Tsushima

Yakuza 0

Persona 4 Golden

WoW

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58363 Posts

Half-Life: not only a great game in its own right, Half-Life introduced me to online gaming, mods, and more.

Command and Conquer: great games, but more significantly it sort of set the standard for story-driven, cinematic games.

Total War: Shogun: one of the first "hybrid" games (RTS and TBS) I ever played, it was an amazing and expansive title that made me a fan of the franchise for life. With some exceptions, the games have only gotten better over time.

Deus Ex: a first-person RPG with action elements, the game challenged my idea of what a first-person game could be and opened my mind to different possibilities.

World of Warcraft: I subscribed back when it came out on a whim, almost embarrassed to do so simply because MMO's are something only the most serious of nerds indulge in. Never looked back afterwards; I still play to this day, and while the company and the game has stumbled here and there, it's still a really great game to play either casually or hardcore.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15935 Posts

@iambatman7986: great shout on NFS! I did not experience the first game but Underground 2 was such an incredible game for me.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Zillion, Starflight, NHL 92, halo ce, GoW, the Witcher

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17669 Posts

Super Metroid comes to note.

It was the first game I played that impressed upon me the importance of music in the conveyance of the overall atmosphere and experience. That game grabs you from the first chirp of the baby Metroid before the title screen even shows up.

It remains to me to this day a powerful testament to how crucial good sound is in a game, because honestly, Super Metroid wouldn’t be half as good as it is without its score. This single track here encapsulates what the franchise is all about:

Loading Video...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MirkoS77
@mrbojangles25 said:

Command and Conquer: great games, but more significantly it sort of set the standard for story-driven, cinematic games.

Still have fond memories of blowing up the White House at the end (with a laser IIRC?), and laughing at the developers playing their roles in makeshift sets in their offices (probably).

It was all good cringe.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3068 Posts

@MirkoS77: I played Super Metroid on a demo kiosk when it came out, and not again until about five years ago. It instantly fit in with all those classic hits.

I did the same with Faith No More. Assumed Epic was their only hit and wrote them off. Couldn't have been more wrong.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Fallout 3

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Unreal Tournament (1999)

Half-Life 2

Half-Life: Alyx

Halo 1, 2 & 3 (Multiplayer)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58363 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Still have fond memories of blowing up the White House at the end (with a laser IIRC?), and laughing at the developers playing their roles in makeshift sets in their offices (probably).

It was all good cringe.

It was good cringe lol.

What's really surprising is they got some really big-name actors on there towards the end: James Earl Jones, Michael Beihn, JK Simmons, David Hasselhof, Jonathan Pryce, and more.

But they still managed to keep it all delightfully corny, despite the talent.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16013 Posts

Unreal Tournament (PC). It opened up a whole new dimension. It was my first competitive online game. I don't usually play online games anymore though.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44117 Posts

Halos, Kotors, Mass Effects, Gears...To name a few. :P

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#32 strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1178 Posts

I have a lot of games I like, but a permanent impression would be Fable and Detroit Become Human.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7249 Posts

Detroit become human makes you think what life would be like with robots.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Ghost of Tsushima

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#35 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6096 Posts

Super Metroid,SMB3, NHL 2k3,anything Halo.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MirkoS77

@dimebag667 said:

@MirkoS77: I played Super Metroid on a demo kiosk when it came out, and not again until about five years ago. It instantly fit in with all those classic hits.

I did the same with Faith No More. Assumed Epic was their only hit and wrote them off. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Faith No More! Ha, I remember them from my teenage years. Good stuff.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 912 Posts

Dark Souls

Stardew Valley

Breath of the Wild

Hollow Knight

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidGame_basic

@MarcRecon said:

@SolidGame_basic:

Ghost of Tsushima

Was it because of the story?

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#39  Edited By Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 712 Posts

Metal Gear Solid. Any of the MGS games. But 2 in a big way made me pessimistic about our 'trustworthy' political consumerist society. How we are all pawns in our game of life. MGS had immersed me in it's atmosphere and it's deep story so complex that it hurts my head.

Final Fantasy 8. I wanted 7 but 8 had such an overwhelming presentation. Everywhere is beautiful. Everything is beautiful.

Half-Life.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 759 Posts

Fable: The Lost Chapters

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Lots of games. Resident Evil 4 got my adrenaline going better than any other game I had played up to that point. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was the culmination of all Nintendo’s efforts in platforming, the pinnacle of the genre in every way with beautiful visuals and a breathtaking soundtrack. Breath of the Wild completely whisked me away with its open world freedom and splendor.

I told my wife last night, as I began playing Metroid Prime Remastered, that I remember so much about that game as well. It’s a game to get lost in. Every single encounter and sound effect and visual detail has such meaning. Many games have I forgotten the majority of content after playing through them, but not Metroid Prime. And that familiarity is actually working in its favor because it’s so enjoyable to experience it all over again.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#42 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19580 Posts

Action – Double Dragon

Action-adventure – Alundra

Adventure – The Curse of Monkey Island

Fighting – International Karate +

Horror – Resident Evil

Platformer – Sonic the Hedgehog

Puzzle – Tetris

Puzzle-platformer – Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Racing – Ridge Racer

RPG – Final Fantasy VII

Shooter – Galaga

Sports – WWF Smackdown!

Stealth – Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Strategy – Command & Conquer: Red Alert

Visual novel – Clannad

Virtual reality – Dennō Senki Net Merc

Avatar image for deactivated-642c1157b8e80
deactivated-642c1157b8e80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-642c1157b8e80
Member since 2023 • 262 Posts

Silent Hill:Shattered Memories.

I got the more or less “standard” ending and as a woman who was a girl with a very complicated relationship with a deeply flawed father… it just sort of gutted me. I was crying my brains out. I felt sluggish for two days.

Powerful.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14811 Posts

I was expecting more Halo Infinite here.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2040 Posts

Super Mario 3 and World

Final Fantasy 7,8,9 and X