Why do Wii fps look like ps2 games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

I have yet to see a Wii fps look better than Halo 2 which is a last gen game. Now I don't care much about graphics, but to me they need to be decent. The closest one to Halo 2 gfx wise is The conduit, but even that has a long way to go. So far these are the fps games I've tried on the Wii. The conduit, Metroid, Cod5, Far Cry and Red Steel. The textures in all these games are terrible. I've honestly come to the conclusion that the Wii is in between the Xbox and the Ps2 in terms of power similar to the gamecube, but a bit better.

Sometimes I hate nintendo for not including a gpu similar to the outdated ATI x800 which would've cost them near nothing to make. It would make the Wii's capabilities 20 times better, offer HD, and make the Wii a better experience. I mean I wouldn't feel like the ssytem is overpriced if it fofered a gpu similar to an X800.

Syferonik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Syferonik
Member since 2006 • 3060 Posts
You won't see an FPS that looks better than a last gen Halo 2 since Wii IS LAST GEN simple as that.
bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bigblunt537

You won't see an FPS that looks better than a last gen Halo 2 since Wii IS LAST GEN simple as that.Syferonik

Agreed, but you would think since ebing reported of being slightly better than an xbox we would see gfx like Riddick, Halo 2 and doom 3.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

I have yet to see a Wii fps look better than Halo 2 which is a last gen game. Now I don't care much about graphics, but to me they need to be decent. The closest one to Halo 2 gfx wise is The conduit, but even that has a long way to go. so far fps games I've tried on the Wii. The conduit, Metroid, Cod5, and Far Cry. The textures in all these games are terrible. bigblunt537

1-Halo 2 is ugly, clean your rose tinted glasses.

2-Wait for Red Steel 2? Looks nice so far

I've honestly come to the conclusion that the Wii is in between the Xbox and the Ps2 in terms of power similar to the gamecube, but a bit better.

bigblunt537

I've come to the conclusion the earth is indeed flat. Why? Cant see any curvature from my window and people in the South should be falling into deep space and all those fancy science books and so called "facts" are fake as far as i'm concerned

*ajusts monocle, storms out in his chariot*

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Thunderdrone

we would see gfx like Riddick, Halo 2 and doom 3.

bigblunt537

wtf? Those games look ugly. Their poly-count hits rock bottom, so does the texture resolution in doom's case, so the damn system can render bump-mapping on every surface.

Who the hell wants that?

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bigblunt537

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

I have yet to see a Wii fps look better than Halo 2 which is a last gen game. Now I don't care much about graphics, but to me they need to be decent. The closest one to Halo 2 gfx wise is The conduit, but even that has a long way to go. so far fps games I've tried on the Wii. The conduit, Metroid, Cod5, and Far Cry. The textures in all these games are terrible. Thunderdrone

I've honestly come to the conclusion that the Wii is in between the Xbox and the Ps2 in terms of power similar to the gamecube, but a bit better.

bigblunt537

I've come to the conclusion the earth is indeed flat. Why? Cant see any curvature from my window and people in the South should be falling into deep space and all those fancy science books and so called "facts" are fake as far as i'm concerned

Unfortunately your last 2 sentences made absolutely no sense and I hope you're happy that you humiliated yourself. Red Steel 2 does look promising, but honestly I think cell shading is taking the easy way out. This looks similar to XIII and The wind Waker. Again both last gen games. I also don't trust wii screnshots any more especially since The conduits gfx were badly hyped and when I got it, it looked like it could've been done on a ps2.

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigblunt537

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

Thunderdrone

wtf? Those games look ugly. Their poly-count hits rock bottom, so does the texture resolution in doom's case, so the damn system can render bump-mapping on every surface.

Who the hell wants that?

Those game had better player models and better environments than any shooter on the Wii.

Cobalt_Spartan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Cobalt_Spartan
Member since 2008 • 326 Posts

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

bigblunt537

Unfortunately your last 2 sentences made absolutely no sense and I hope you're happy that you humiliated yourself. Red Steel 2 does look promising, but honestly I think cell shading is taking the easy way out. This looks similar to XIII and The wind Waker. Again both last gen games. I also don't trust wii screnshots any more especially since The conduits gfx were badly hyped and when I got it, it looked like it could've been done on a ps2.

I think you missed his point. The Wii is more powerful than the XBox, but devs haven't taken advantage of the hardware so unless you've seen the specs, there's no way you'd know that the Wii is as powerful as it is.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Thunderdrone

Unfortunately your last 2 sentences made absolutely no sense and I hope your happy you humiliated yourself. bigblunt537

I am.

Red Steel 2 does look promising, but honestly I think cell shading is taking the easy way out. This looks similar to XIIIbigblunt537

Not really, no.

I also don't trust wii screnshots any more especially since The conduits gfx were badly hyped and when I got it, it looked like it could've been done on a ps2.

bigblunt537

The Conduit never looked good. It was pushing bum-mapping, yadda yadda, but its an ugly, shiny game by a smallish developer that's just trying to earn a reputation and stop developing licensed games for a living.

I dunno what you where expecting from HVS, a multi-million dollar production financed by an industry giant? yeah its your own fault you where disapointed

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bigblunt537

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]

Cobalt_Spartan

I think you missed his point. The Wii is more powerful than the XBox, but devs haven't taken advantage of the hardware so unless you've seen the specs, there's no way you'd know that the Wii is as powerful as it is.

Specs mean absolutely nothing in comparison of 2 consoles that have completely different architecture. This sounds like the PS3 fanboy arguments. "The ps3 can do real life, but dev's aren't taking advantage of it yet." If the system is capable of it would produce something amazing. only game coming soon of decent gfx are Mario Galaxy 2 and The Grinder. Again I think all the fps I mentioned still look better than the Grinder.

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hy4k
Member since 2009 • 1790 Posts
erm halo 2 was a really ugly game by last gen standards both metroid prime 3 and red steel 2 look better. if you're tryin to make a point about graphics it helps if you know what you're talking about
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Thunderdrone

Those game had better player models and better environments than any shooter on the Wii.

bigblunt537

Doom 3(low rez textures, piss-poor geometry)

^look at the monster model and its textures

^look at the monster model's blocky legs and the low resolution of the gun's textures.

Halo 2 (low geometry enviorments, low rez textures hidden by bump mapping, highly patterned texture maps to free memory)

^large but blocky areas. low rez textures

Riddick (blurry, Low resolution textures and geometry, again, hidden by some heavy bump-mapping)

^look at that floor. Look at those hands

Is nostalgia sugar-coating your memories or are you people blind?

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bigblunt537

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

Thunderdrone

Doom 3(low rez textures, piss-poor geometry)

^look at the monster model and its textures

^look at the monster model's blocky legs and the low resolution of the gun's textures.

Halo 2 (low geometry enviorments, low rez textures hidden by bump mapping, highly patterned texture maps to free memory)

^large but blocky areas. low rez textures

Riddick (blurry, Low resolution textures and geometry, again, hidden by some heavy bump-mapping)

^look at that floor. Look at those hands

Well I'll admit that my memory of those games has them painted a bit clearer than those screens, but I still think the player/world models in Wii shooters look worst than those.

hy4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hy4k
Member since 2009 • 1790 Posts
god damn halo 2 was an ugly game i remember riddick looking good though. best looking games on xbox were panzer dragoon orta and splinter cell 3.
Cobalt_Spartan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cobalt_Spartan

Well I'll admit that my memory of those games has them painted a bit clearer than those screens, but I still think the player/world models in Wii shooters look worst than those.

bigblunt537

Not at all.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Thunderdrone

bigblunt537

Well, its not a shooter but Metroid Prime 3 completely takes a dump on those games technicaly. It has huge amounts of highly detailed textures, soft shadows and lighting, complex enviroments and it runs locked at 60 fps. Its also very crisp and clean.

^ Horribly compressed pics, but you can see the complex models and details

^ MP3 textures. They NEVER repeat, every single world, model and prop had its own figh quality texture map. Also, soft shadows

^high detailed character models.

Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Communistsheep
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

I have yet to see a Wii fps look better than Halo 2 which is a last gen game. Now I don't care much about graphics, but to me they need to be decent. The closest one to Halo 2 gfx wise is The conduit, but even that has a long way to go. so far fps games I've tried on the Wii. The conduit, Metroid, Cod5, and Far Cry. The textures in all these games are terrible. Thunderdrone

bigblunt537

You are quite deluted if that game can have that type of anti alias.

Cobalt_Spartan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cobalt_Spartan

MP3's an FPS... :|

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bigblunt537

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

Thunderdrone

Well, its not a shooter but Metroid Prime 3 completely takes a dump on those games technicaly. It has huge amounts of highly detailed textures, soft shadows and lighting, complex enviroments and it runs locked at 60 fps. Its also very crisp and clean.

^ MP3 textures. They NEVER repeat, every single world, model and prop had its own figh quality texture map. Also, soft shadows

You know what I'll have to admit. Metroid Prime 3 does beat the other games so yes I was wrong I admit it, but than why does this game look better than every wii title out now?

Also the last screen is horrible and definitely not highly detailed.

Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Communistsheep

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

Thunderdrone

Why are they mainly of screeen?

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Thunderdrone
You are quite deluted if that game can have that type of anti alias.Communistsheep
Never said it would
Cobalt_Spartan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cobalt_Spartan

You are quite deluted if that game can have that type of anti alias.

Communistsheep

The first and the last are pre-rendered cutscenes. All the others do have jaggies.

Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Communistsheep

[QUOTE="Communistsheep"]You are quite deluted if that game can have that type of anti alias.

Cobalt_Spartan

The first and the last are pre-rendered cutscenes. All the others do have jaggies.

That games, judging by the pcitures, has less alias then halo 3, and that is impossible.
Communistsheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Communistsheep
[QUOTE="Communistsheep"]You are quite deluted if that game can have that type of anti alias.Thunderdrone
Never said it would

It won't look as good as those pictures.
Cobalt_Spartan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Cobalt_Spartan

[QUOTE="Cobalt_Spartan"]

[QUOTE="Communistsheep"]You are quite deluted if that game can have that type of anti alias.

Communistsheep

That games, judging by the pcitures, has less alias then halo 3, and that is impossible.

Still kinda hard to see the jaggies.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Thunderdrone

[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"][QUOTE="Communistsheep"]You are quite deluted if that game can have that type of anti alias.Communistsheep
Never said it would

It won't look as good as those pictures.

in-game pics

Same thing, less AA.

dkrustyklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dkrustyklown
Member since 2009 • 2387 Posts

...and no ps3 or 360 FPS controls as well as can be achieved on the Wii.

Aim assist is for nubs. Sure, the Wii doesn't have the graphics capacity of the other two consoles, but graphics don't decide whether the people playing a game are nubs. Control schemes that end up using aim assit, however, do make their players out to be nubs.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

You know what I'll have to admit. Metroid Prime 3 does beat the other games so yes I was wrong I admit it, but than why does this game look better than every wii title out now?

Also the last screen is horrible and definitely not highly detailed.

bigblunt537

If you are think FPS there is only a handful of other titles to compare it to. If you talking overall you are starting to see more games come out now which are looking much better. It's taken so long because many companies did not expect the Wii to be a success so most games you have seen up till now have been pretty much rushed. Most games take at least 3 years to give solid guilty titles. Ubisoft even said they rushed out Red Steel to make it an opening day game. The Wii came out now about three and half years ago. It took awhile before companies like Capcom, Square and EA decided to make higher end games for the Wii. They were making games but nothing compared to what they would put into a big title. Now if you look at Monster Hunter 3, FF:CC new one coming out, Red Steel 2 and Dead Space: Exaction. Then you see were companies are trying to push the Wii more and make more solid titles.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Because Wii graphic sucks we all know that by now

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

A couple of Wii games looks much better than PS2 games. I am more irritated by the fact the the best GC games can still rival the best looking Wii games.

Twin Snakes, Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 for example.

Avatar image for sonicthemegaman
sonicthemegaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 sonicthemegaman
Member since 2008 • 3783 Posts
Devs aren't trying with the Wii. It CAN crank out good graphics. All it needs is good games.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Lazy devs?

darkinferno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darkinferno360
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

Thunderdrone

well i cant tak about doom and riddick but i can defend halo's graphics for several reasons: 1- halo has 4 player split screen ability, its rendering the world again for eacg screen which bits alot of resources 2-halo uses physics entities, such as ragdolls, vehicles, physics takes alot of memory 3-halo runs complex multiplayer coding 4-accurate collision detection and such metroid prime is a very good looking game, its amazing actually and it does look better than halo 2, no doubt but to say its more technical, thats wrong: 1- they dont use complex physics as far as i know, sure they have a few elements, but nothing that would affect framerate 2-am not sure, but as a game designer, i dont think they use accurate collision detection, meaning, you arent firing bullets, but rather plasma like projectiles? meaning, each shot is of a particular size? where am going with this is that, they dont need to use very accurate collisin detection for that, [am not a 100% on this point so feel free to correct me] 3-its a single player game and even if it does have split screen [notsure] they still dont have other technical elements to reduce framerate 4-because they use less framerate intensive systems, they can concentrate on great art conclusion* metroid cam focus alot of their engine power on art because they have less intense systems to worry about, i only made this reply, not to say that halo2 looks better than metroid, because it doesnt, i wrote this because you said it was more 'technical'. also, i didnt see any soft shadows in the screenshots you used, shadow mapping and soft shadows are two different things, ps. they can push better looking models with more polygons because of the reason listen above :) -dark
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26113 Posts
The Wii system isn't really overpriced. Remember that you are not paying for the graphics hardware.
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Thunderdrone

Holy thread revival, batman!!

How did you track this down?

fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#36 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts

Wow Thunderdrone you're awesome...

Anyway, although it's true that the Wii's FPS's don't look great, the games you mentioned aren't that good looking either. Not only that but MP3 looks a hell of a lot better than all of those games and Red Steel 2 is pretty good looking too. I also think The Conduit looks better than those games.

asyrian758

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 asyrian758
Member since 2006 • 410 Posts
Because the wii is last gen.
NinjaDuckling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NinjaDuckling
Member since 2009 • 965 Posts
Thread shot down by Thunderdrone.
jakehouston88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jakehouston88
Member since 2009 • 2848 Posts

Don't you know the Wii's graphics capabilities by now?

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts

Apparantly you dont. While not by much the Wii is more graphically advanced then the PS2.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Metroid 3 looks better than Halo 2. This is a fact, my friend, coming from a Halo fanboy. Also, Red Steel 2 looks gorgeous.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Might as well take the time to say MP3 looks gorgeous.

93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
[QUOTE="Thunderdrone"]

[QUOTE="bigblunt537"]

Who the hell wants that?

Even if they look "ugly" with their rock bottom poly-count, it looks better than every FPS the wii's got. So stop being in denial and accept the fact that the wii is underpowered and is actually a SLIGHTLY more powerful gamecube with motion controls
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#44 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts
You won't see an FPS that looks better than a last gen Halo 2 since Wii IS LAST GEN simple as that.Syferonik
Yep. They say that it has a lot of the same hardware that the Gamecube possessed. I think it has the same GPU, so it still is last gen graphically, but maybe next gen in other aspects. Although certain games on my Gamecube looked really well, like the Resident Evil series, Metroid, and Super Mario Sunshine They all looked great, not next gen, but not bad on the eyes either.
IppoTenma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 IppoTenma
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

Apparantly you dont. While not by much the Wii is more graphically advanced then the PS2.

bobcheeseball
Wrong. Gamecube was stronger than PS2 and the Wii is 3x stronger than gamecube. (If I recall.)
Burning-Sludge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Burning-Sludge
Member since 2008 • 4068 Posts

Because the wii is last gen. asyrian758

This gen must suck badly because it is winning the console war.

get-ka12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 get-ka12
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts
The WIi's specialty isn't highly-powered hardware, but the Wiimotion technology, that is the trade-off.