Unpopular opinion?? N64 and SNES were better consoles as...

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4274 Posts

Multiplayer than single player. True or false??

I think it’s true. If you had someone to play with, it was better.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

False. Because I prefer multiplayer games on any console. Coop games being my favorite.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

False

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7356 Posts

I'd say true of the N64. Four controller ports was a godsend back in the day.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

The N64 was the first real multiplayer system. Definitely multiplayer before single player the ps1 was only a single player system for me.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#7 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

@judaspete said:

I'd say true of the N64. Four controller ports was a godsend back in the day.

This. Blows my mind that Sony was stubborn to adapt to that on the PS2. Guess they got cocky over their victory against Nintendo. Meanwhile, XBOX and SEGA adapted to it.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Eoten

I don't know what you people are talking about. Multi-tap adapters have been part of consoles at least as far back as the NES.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 judaspete

@eoten said:

I don't know what you people are talking about. Multi-tap adapters have been part of consoles at least as far back as the NES.

But because it was an extra peripheral, most developers didn't think it was worth the effort to utilize. Only a handful of games ever supported them. On N64, 4 player was nearly obligatory.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Eoten

@judaspete said:
@eoten said:

But because it was an extra peripheral, most developers didn't think it was worth the effort to utilize. Only a handful of games ever supported them. On N64, 4 player was nearly obligatory.

Well that may be true, but it was equally as rare to get enough people together in one room with the same interests long enough to play such a game. My family only ever played more than two people at a time on special occasions, and even then it was ONLY Mario Party. Everything else was either me playing alone, or with my brother. It's not like today where you can find people from all over the world to be your player 3 and 4, so while the N64 had the capability, I doubt it was used as much as people think.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 judaspete
@eoten said:
@judaspete said:
@eoten said:

Well that may be true, but it was equally as rare to get enough people together in one room with the same interests long enough to play such a game. My family only ever played more than two people at a time on special occasions, and even then it was ONLY Mario Party. Everything else was either me playing alone, or with my brother. It's not like today where you can find people from all over the world to be your player 3 and 4, so while the N64 had the capability, I doubt it was used as much as people think.

You may be right that it wasn't used as much as people think, but my friends and I used it a lot. Almost every weekend for a while in high school, and even more than that when I had roommates in college (though that was more Gamecube and Xbox by then). Admittedly, I haven't done much split screen gaming in the last decade or so, but am hoping to change that when my kids are a bit older :)

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Eoten

@judaspete said:
@eoten said:
@judaspete said:
@eoten said:

You may be right that it wasn't used as much as people think, but my friends and I used it a lot. Almost every weekend for a while in high school, and even more than that when I had roommates in college (though that was more Gamecube and Xbox by then). Admittedly, I haven't done much split screen gaming in the last decade or so, but am hoping to change that when my kids are a bit older :)

It was more than just the lack of a couple extra ports that limited multiplayer gameplay on earlier consoles though. Much of it was hardware limitations. Every time you split a screen for co-op, the system has to render and draw two versions of the game. Those that could handle four players were almost always single-screen games. Getting four players to work correctly on a single screen, like in a game like Gauntlet wasn't easy.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

False. It depends on the individual. I always prefer single player games over multiplayer and I played a bunch of stellar single player games on SNES and N64. Hell, I remember waiting for my friends to go home so I could go back to single player, like in Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. Now if you were to compare multiplayer of N64 vs PS1, then N64 would win easily.

marleygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By marleygamer
Member since 2020 • 132 Posts

GAMESPOT SUX

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4274 Posts

@marleygamer: but why does it sux though?? Can you like...give us ways to make it better??? We’re a great community here. We’re all ears and we’ll try to take you constructive criticism very seriously.

Thanks and have a great day!!

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#16 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Hard to say. The SNES was good at everything.

The N64 was pretty mixed. Goldeneye and Mario Party were good MP games.

Calo64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Calo64
Member since 2020 • 15 Posts

True, for the N64. I lost count of how many times we had four gathered around a big CRT. Its the only console that all my friends eventually bought themselves for multiplayer at home. (we got sick of carrying each others across town!)

Whats great is the N64 was also incredibly strong for single player too - but multi was its shiniest jewel in a very shiny crown!