twofacetoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 twofacetoo
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I'm a big Godzilla fan, and bought myself a copy of 'Godzilla Kaiju Daikassan' from ebay to play. The game, for those who don't know, was only ever released in Japan.

Going from the seller's description and the simple fact that the cartridge shape was exactly the same as my other SNES games, being that I'm from the UK and use a European SNES, I decided to buy it. I shelled out $23 and it just arrived after about two weeks of waiting.

I plug it into my SNES, click the power on... and nothing. Wiggle the cart, reset, power-off/on, nothing. I switched it with my copy of DKC2, and it worked fine. Super Star Wars, works fine. Mortal Kombat, works fine. Everything I own works fine, except Godzilla

Now, I'm wondering if there's any way to get the game working on my SNES. From an outside appearance it looks perfect. Identical in every way to my other games except the label and the pins. The pins are the same amount and all, it's the card they're mounted on. On most games, it's orange. On Godzilla, it's green.

I've heard people mentioning a lockout chip of some kind, and I'll say right now, up front, I'm not prepared to rip my SNES or my cartridges to pieces for the sake of getting one game working. If that's what it takes, then my local game shop will be richer by one Godzilla game. I love my SNES and don't want it to get broken by any means, so I'm not prepared to do any tampering or fiddling with any of it unless 100% necessary.

So to sum up:

* Japanese game on a European console =/= success

* Cartridge looks identical to all others

* Told by seller it would work (but take that with a pinch of salt)

Any help is welcomed

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

There is a chip inside which does a PAL/NTSC region check. So long story, your European (PAL) SNES cannot play japanese carts (NTSC) Read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_lockout#Nintendo

You might find some adapters/convertors but they cost a bomb nowadays.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

If it was released later in the SNES lifespan it may have some sort of lockout chip as mentioned. Perhaps the whole 50hz/60hz matter would also play a hand in it functioning as well maybe.

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

The SNES is region locked, the physical modification only works to get JP games on an NA system, so for Europe you'll need a region adaptor. But even then, the cheaper adaptors won't fool most games and the expensive ones will still won't play everything.

If you want to play hard copies of Japanese SNES games you are better off just buying a Super Famicom, because it will play all the games that Europe didn't get as well as running in full screen at full speed which the EU SNES can't do even with an adaptor.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#5 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Did the eBay listing note that it was a JPN region cartridge?