Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59332 Posts

-
Good news, esp for fat neck beards who sit in a room all day playing against AI that's been broken for going on 30 fucking years.
Total War, but Starwars?

As we know, Starwars has largely went downhill lately in both in terms of on-screen and games with the animated stuff being the only redeemable thing. Some journos try to act like Andor is good (fun fact) it isn't.

Worth noting, this is by far not the franchises first first foray into the strategy genre. Back when Starwars games were actually good, and we had the superior Prequels, it had a good half dozen.

---

A Star Wars-themed Total War game is reportedly currently in development over at Creative Assembly.

According to to DualShockers, there are three Total War games being worked on right now. It's unclear which project Creative Assembly is furthest along with in development. However, the closest one is presumably the next mainline installment, as Total War is an annual series. The only exception is 2021, which was the first year without a new mainline Total War game since 2014.

The second one is a Total War: Star Wars game that seemingly started development in October 2023. Currently, any info about the alleged third Total War game is unknown. The most recent game in the series is Total War: Pharoah, which was released last year. Creative Assembly Sofia is currently preparing a large update for the game that will add more campaign content and cultures.

Back in September, parent company Sega canceled Creative Assembly's latest game, a multiplayer shooter called Hyenas, and it laid off the developers who were working on it. In November, Sega president Haruki Satomi said that Creative Assembly would go back to creating RTS games such as Total War as that was the studio's primary expertise.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#2 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14944 Posts

Why don't they do Warhammer 40K?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
@texasgoldrush said:

Assuming true, this would probably be the reason.

• Shogun: Total War
    • Medieval: Total War
    • Rome: Total War
    • Medieval II: Total War - 550,000+
    • Empire: Total War - 810,000+
    • Napoleon: Total War
    • Total War: Shogun 2 - 600,000+
    • Total War: Rome II - 1.13 million+
    • Total War: Attila
    • Total War: Warhammer - 2.08 million+
    • Total War: Warhammer II - 955,000+
    • Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia - 224,000+
    • Total War: Three Kingdoms - 1 million (launch)
    • Total War Saga: Troy
    • Total War: Warhammer III
    • Total War: Pharaoh
Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 873 Posts

@texasgoldrush: I guess there are already too many Warhammer 40K games out there, so they wanted to do differentiate themselves by doing Warhammer Age of Sigmar instead. I wonder if 40K and Sigmar exist within the same universe or if there are parallel universes?

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6205 Posts

Oooo like the sound of this

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8509 Posts

WHy can't this sh*tty franchise just die!

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3116 Posts

@texasgoldrush: I've never played a total war game, but how would their mechanics work with 40k? Not saying they couldn't, but wouldn't a normal RTS like Dawn of War work better? Even though they screwed the last two.

Why don't they just make digital Warhammer already? You could have all the rule sets for the different editions. You could pull the scummy mtx route and charge $5 for a five man squad of Marines. And if they're afraid of losing physical model sales, put a voucher code for a digital version of whatever physical model you buy in the box.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 uninspiredcup

Total Wars gameplay style is quite varied. aside from the turn based map/real-time each entry can be incredibly different.

Something like Shogun 2 is closer to an RPG while Empire has a scale and depth to it that absolutely dwarfs the others.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts

I just...

Loading Video...

This is amazing news. Huzzah! Huzzah!

@pc_rocks said:

What's shitty about it? They've had some stumbles here and there, and their DLC is a bit aggressive, but overall I've gotten thousands upon thousands of hours across decades of years over more than a dozen different games from this franchise.

Total War is a great franchise, in other words.

@texasgoldrush said:

Nothing says they won't! Warhammer: Total War was a big success, they might just be biding their time or branching out or maybe Games Workshop is being dicks about it and asking for more money to use their IP. Who knows?!

As for me, I'm waiting for Dune: Total War. It'd work really well given the emphasis on melee fighting as much as ranged, and we could see the grand strategy part of the game return to more political intrigue with the Landsraad lore. Lots of opportunity for different houses/factions: Atreides, Corrino, Fremen, and Harkonnen of course; but also Tleilax, Ix, Saradaukar, Bene Gesserit, etc.

Hell, make it Butlerian Jihad: Total War! Robots vs Humans!!!!!!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25

@uninspiredcup: We've gotten some good Star Wars strategy games over the years, it's a good franchise to use that genre for.

There's even a really good Star Wars mod (from what I've heard) for Stellaris, too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup

@mrbojangles25: Prior to the prequels it was gaming that was keeping it going.

I don't really like any of the "modern games". Mid at best. Don't care about Ubislop.

This could be good. Assuming they don't get big bellies with dollar signs.

It may be the first Total War game where it takes place in space as well. It also may be the first (proper) console entry.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25

@uninspiredcup said:

@mrbojangles25: Prior to the prequels it was gaming that was keeping it going.

I don't really like any of the "modern games". Mid at best. Don't care about Ubislop.

This could be good. Assuming they don't get big bellies with dollar signs.

It may be the first Total War game where it takes place in space as well. It also may be the first (proper) console entry.

Yeah, curious how they will address the space concept. Maybe like they did with Empire: Total War, with the multiple continents?

Oh it's coming to console? Hmmm that sort of makes me feel a bit iffy about it to be honest. Then again they've ported some older strategy games--even the incredibly complex Stellaris--to console, so I suppose it could be done.

Total War is really demanding on hardware though by the mid-game, we shall see if consoles can handle it. Those turns can really stress your computer sometimes haha.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8383 Posts

I liked some of the total war games. But honestly prefer more traditional base building RTS. Plus Star Wars sucks ass now

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrbojangles25

@sargentd said:

I liked some of the total war games. But honestly prefer more traditional base building RTS. Plus Star Wars sucks ass now

Star Wars movies suck now. Well actually they've been bad since the prequels to be frank. Rogue One was one exception.

Everything else--the animated series, the live-action series (well, most of them), and the comics that have come out ("Doctor Aphra" and "Vader" comic especially)--have been pretty damn good. Some haven't been great, mind you, but good enough.

I agree though, would love to see a new Star Wars RTS game like Company of Heroes or Command and Conquer. Hell, even a Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander style RTS would be great.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8383 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@sargentd said:

Star Wars movies suck now. Well actually they've been bad since the prequels to be frank. Rogue One was one exception.

Everything else--the animated series, the live-action series (well, most of them), and the comics that have come out ("Doctor Aphra" and "Vader" comic especially)--have been pretty damn good. Some haven't been great, mind you, but good enough.

I agree though, would love to see a new Star Wars RTS game like Company of Heroes or Command and Conquer. Hell, even a Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander style RTS would be great.

I thought the prequels sucked when they came out. Then I saw how bad star wars could get.. like the prequels in retrospect. Seen many people give the nod to rouge one as the example of the "good recent one". Would watch phantom menace over it any day. To each thier own, but thought rouge one was a snooze fest.

Would find a base building star wars RTS with different factions interesting. But don't even really want the star wars part, I just want more base building RTS like C&C lol. Honestly just want a legit new Dawn of war game thats traditional base building like the first one. A supreme commander like rts would work well with star wars. It fits.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

@sargentd said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@sargentd said:

I thought the prequels sucked when they came out. Then I saw how bad star wars could get.. like the prequels in retrospect. Seen many people give the nod to rouge one as the example of the "good recent one". Would watch phantom menace over it any day. To each thier own, but thought rouge one was a snooze fest.

Would find a base building star wars RTS with different factions interesting. But don't even really want the star wars part, I just want more base building RTS like C&C lol. Honestly just want a legit new Dawn of war game thats traditional base building like the first one. A supreme commander like rts would work well with star wars. It fits.

Yeah and sadly the new Homeworld 3 is apparently a real crappy game, which is disappointing as it's one of my all-time favorite franchises. So there goes any interest in RTS's I have at the moment. I tried the Company of Heroes 3 free weekend last week and that game is as bad as people made it out to be.

Ah well, at least TBS/4X/grand strategy games are alive and kicking at the moment. Back to Stellaris...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Thousands of Jar Jars??? All unique looking?

Well sign me right up.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34773 Posts

Sounds pretty cool. Never been into Total War though.

Also, I've never understood why people say Rogue One was good. Better than 7,8,9 does not = good. Incredibly boring movie.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

@sargentd said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@sargentd said:

Interesting thing Jayden directed me to a while back was this channel. Usually I hate reaction videos, but the context of villagers devoid of Western social media influence watching the Starwars movies in order 1-6 for the first time was one of the most fascinating things seen in a while.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrbojangles25

@uninspiredcup: OMG I looooooooooooove those "villagers react..." videos, they're so wholesome.

Most of the time the reaction videos suck because it's usually some "influencer" but the villagers are just like "Woh what's this? That's totally new to me!"

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1283 Posts

Star Wars is a franchise that could be good in the right hands, be it film or video games. Right now, I don't watch any of the new crap. But that's neither here nor there. :) I'd be down for Disney to allow devs to expand the SW universe with a diverse set of gaming genres. I would really like a Star Wars FPS.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 721 Posts

I love total war. Don't much care about star wars, but I would give it a try just because I like the game franchise.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 uninspiredcup

@mrbojangles25: Funny thing is, even though missed the mark on some stuff, they understood the themes, plot and ideas than your average Youtube gimmick reviewer. For example one almost verbatim prior to watching OT always repeats the line "he's more machine than man now" and the old man lays out almost exactly what happens next.

Loading Video...

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8509 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@pc_rocks said:

What's shitty about it? They've had some stumbles here and there, and their DLC is a bit aggressive, but overall I've gotten thousands upon thousands of hours across decades of years over more than a dozen different games from this franchise.

Total War is a great franchise, in other words.

I was atlking about Star Wars not Total War.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 777 Posts

Meh

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

That's an odd combination. Unless they are thinking of making the real time battles more like Company of Heroes or Dawn of war 2 (just on a bigger scale) maybe. That would be interesting. Naval combat in space could also be good....maybe?

I know they did Empire which had a lot of guns but i didn't find the real time combat in that particularly good. I'm not sure something like that would be suitable for star wars.

I don't hate the idea though. A good excuse to do something very different with the real time combat would be good.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#29 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49590 Posts

I would definitely buy this!

Granted, I buy every single TW game...