tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 tsunami2311
Member since 2003 • 1798 Posts

seriously when are you gona stop this? no video should be auto playing PERIOD unless we hit play.

I am not the only person that has asked this or said this since games pot started this. then again you's still cant sort out your video player issue, one page has the good play with quality options that dont autoplay, next page has the shitty ad one that autoplays, and NO turning of blocker does not fix this

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tsunami2311

I like how how some pages using the player with ad video first Autoplays and other pages you have to actual hit play.... seriously is to much to ask for some consistency, with the video players...

angerawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: -1

#3 angerawr
Member since 2016 • 220 Posts

@tsunami2311: Thanks for your very valid feedback and we understand your frustration. We autoplay videos that are very closely related to article content. If a video is embedded and not at the very top, it enhances the article but is not as related to the article content, so we do not autoplay them.

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 cannedstingray
Member since 2011 • 53 Posts

Give us an option to turn off auto play please!!!!! After every video its a mad dash to see what else I may want to watch and right about the time I see another video to check out the stupid auto player picks for me..

I've stopped watching videos on this site most of the time simply because of the auto play. I'm all grown up, let me choose what I would like to watch next please..

unsane_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 unsane_one
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts

@angerawr: I've been a longtime user of Gamespot but this issue is what finally killed it for me. Autoplay videos with the sound on? Seriously? And then today I click the Pause button and it opens a YouTube page. That was the last straw. There are plenty of other game review sites out there. I hate to leave because I still think the reviews on this site are some of the best. It's just a shame Gamespot has turned the corner on shady web practices to generate extra revenue.

angerawr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#6 angerawr
Member since 2016 • 220 Posts

@unsane_one: Thank you so much for supporting us in the past and really sorry for the frustration. I'll try to address some of the frustration

We do save your sound and quality settings based on your cookie data, so if you mute the video, next time you see a video it should be automatically muted.

Clicking pause and causing a youtube page to open should NOT be happening. Can you please send me a link to the video or page that you are trying to view?

So sorry about this, we do want to continue to improve the site and make sure that our loyal readers are heard.

Skrapshak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Skrapshak
Member since 2003 • 150 Posts

Yeah, autoplay is awful.

And now, with your "infinite scrolling" website, where there are multiple vid embeds as you scroll down, it is intolerable.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

Yes please stop the auto-play videos. It's terrible. Especially when you can just scroll down and loud videos start playing. C'mon. If we want to watch the vids we will click play and then you can show us ads.

KenshinXSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 KenshinXSlayer
Member since 2003 • 193 Posts

It's gotten worse, for me. That stupid Achievement Hunter video starts off with one of those loud, pointless noises that you hear in movie trailers; it always makes me jump when I'm trying to read an article. I need to remember to mute my laptop when visiting this site.

darkelf83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 darkelf83
Member since 2003 • 1045 Posts

Honestly this hasn't gone anywhere in a year or two. Many people have complained about the auto playing videos with ads blaring at us for a long time and it has only gotten worse. With the addition of being able to scroll from one article to the next these videos are playing if we are still on one article but close to another, or if you click on the comments button it auto scrolls the page enough to trigger the next article's ad video. When can we expect some honest feedback on this and not just another we're looking into it? You've been looking into for at least a year probably more.

chashuramen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chashuramen
Member since 2005 • 49 Posts

@angerawr said:

@tsunami2311: Thanks for your very valid feedback and we understand your frustration. We autoplay videos that are very closely related to article content. If a video is embedded and not at the very top, it enhances the article but is not as related to the article content, so we do not autoplay them.

Bullshit. . .I'm scrolling through the article I want to read. When I get to the end, and barely go into the next article underneath (which I didn't want to read and did not click on but is still there due to your bad site design) the video starts autoplaying the ad full blast! I've had it happen countless times lately when the article I clicked on didn't even have a video at all!

tsunami2311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tsunami2311

they dont listen to feedback. it why i almost never come here anymore less i have no choice, please bombard me with autoplaying video, and multiple ones all at once cause that stupid auto news feed ( which can be block but that wont stop video from autoplay with that shitty player in first place). and WHY is when click on these stupid autoplaying video to pause then which they SHOULD BE AUTOPLAYING tries to OPEN new tab with add...

And no i not turn off adblock it on for reason your shitty shit design for one , gaintbomb there own SISTER SITE dont even pull this crap and WORKS just fine especially there video player that actualy HAS QUALITY OPTIONS with ADBLOCK

Jedi-Kermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jedi-Kermit
Member since 2003 • 45 Posts

Yes, Please stop with the auto playing of all videos or give us the option to disable it within our profiles.

darkelf83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darkelf83

@chashuramen: Even if you don't scroll down enough to play the ad, if you click on the comments button to read or leave one it auto scrolls just enough to trigger the next ad and play it. This is so frustrating and they know it. It's all for ad revenue and they care not for their readers.

p1p3dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 p1p3dream
Member since 2015 • 1546 Posts

This is hilarious, I mean... Right, the autoplay videos are simply maddening and they break basic rules of UI design that you learn in basic bitch college- Clearly gamespot is doing this to harass its users, and I'm pretty appaled by it. Gamespot, this is not a good practice, and you think you might take a hint by the HUNDREDS OF MESSAGES about this. I've never been mad about anything on a website lol, but this just seems really rude of this company.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

I don't like autoplay one bit.

We should be allowed to choose wether we want to play a video or not. 99% of the time the videos are entirely unrelated.

I just want to read something and some load noises start playing, that is not user friendly.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#17 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17910 Posts

This autoplay is fucking garbage. How do I disable this shit?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
deactivated-5b60c6d07310a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b60c6d07310a
Member since 2015 • 357 Posts

For those bothered by the auto play functionality, you can disable it for all HTML5 content (I know I did this for CNN's websites specifically) with the following changes in Firefox (I can't speak for Chrome):

1. Type "about:config" in the address bar and accept the warning.

2. In the search bar that appears, type "media.autoplay.enabled" and set it to "false" by double-clicking.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#19  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17910 Posts

@metalman0616 said:

For those bothered by the auto play functionality, you can disable it for all HTML5 content (I know I did this for CNN's websites specifically) with the following changes in Firefox (I can't speak for Chrome):

2. In the search bar that appears, type "media.autoplay.enabled" and set it to "false" by double-clicking.

Thanks. That shit was the worst.

straightcur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 straightcur
Member since 2013 • 1521 Posts

@angerawr: Its been 5 months since you responded, when are you actually going to address this ?

bfa1509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 bfa1509
Member since 2011 • 1058 Posts

@metalman0616 said:

This works great, although it applys itself to youtube too, the one place where I do want the video to autoplay.

Oh well, I think I will give up on Gamespot once and for all. I only come here out of habit anymore. It has now become unbearably irritating what with the autoplay of videos, clickbait articles, non-gaming related content and now the latest politically motivated loony-liberal agenda articles they are trying to ram down our throats.

Klevmore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Klevmore
Member since 2010 • 142 Posts

@Skrapshak: 100% agree to this. I'm about to stop coming to this website entirely. Beyond frustrating.

flipovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By flipovic
Member since 2017 • 9 Posts

In my opinion the videos should no even load the player at all, It should be a link or a button to it if I really am in the mood for the video, but I ain't than I don't want the extra load on the browser and on my phone, as the player will require extra scripts, and the scripts will require extra resources...please keep it simple and light, it will vastly improve the user experience and satisfaction! ;)

BeefoTheBold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 BeefoTheBold
Member since 2009 • 1511 Posts

This is the fifth thread of the same topic on the first page of the feedback forum asking Gamespot to deal with the issue of autoplay videos. This one's only a year old so it's relatively new.

darkelf83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 darkelf83

@angerawr:

"We autoplay videos that are very closely related to article content."

So why do videos from the next article down the page autoplay? They have nothing to do with the comments section I just opened, yet they blast in my ear anyway. They're not even on screen, they're way down the page, that for unknown reasons loaded when I clicked show comments for the article I'm in.

TazmanianD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#26 TazmanianD
Member since 2002 • 1476 Posts

I came here because I was so annoyed I asked google about disabling autoplay specifically for gamespot. The good news is that with one of the recent updates to Chrome, you can now permanently mute a website; just right click on the tab and select "Mute site". I was hoping the recent Chrome feature to disable autoplay altogether would catch these but it doesn't seem to.

The dumbest thing about this is that advertisers haven't learned the lessons that gave us adblockers. If you annoy your customers too much, then technology will appear that will forcibly stop you.

Tastytoast225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 Tastytoast225
Member since 2018 • 1 Posts

Any news on this? I literally only signed up for the site to see if this bullshit has been changed.

BeefoTheBold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By BeefoTheBold
Member since 2009 • 1511 Posts
@tastytoast225 said:

Any news on this? I literally only signed up for the site to see if this bullshit has been changed.

It has not.

sweet_jcs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sweet_jcs
Member since 2004 • 125 Posts

Why?

Gamespot: Because **** YOU that's why.

wemmick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31 wemmick
Member since 2013 • 372 Posts

@tsunami2311: Videos in articles now have an Autoplay On/Off switch for signed-in users. Hope this helps!