The level 10 rule in System wars is useless.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts
There is no point of this rule anymore.Before (few months ago) people started ignoring it but,now it is worse.New users who are mostly fanboy alts are getting huge level jumps (I think gamespot is aware of this glitch).I know a user who posts in SW that got up to a level 18 in 3days. So now there are more idiotic threads that are far worse then mine.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

the rule never made sense to me. it's not an automated feature so a mod still has to see it in order to take action so it does not stop new threads from being made. the rule was made in the first place because alt troll accounts was a recognized problem. instead of creating a rule to specifically deal with the problem, a blanket solution was presented that honestly only serves to punish new users who want to make legitimate threads. why can't a mod just look at a thread and decide whether it's made by a low level troll alt or if it's a legitimate topic that just happened to be made by a new user? the difference is pretty clear and i hate seeing good threads locked not based on their content but based on who made them. worse yet, once the account reaches level 10, there's no longer anything to stop them from doing their thing. it's also not a very welcoming thing for new users to be treated the same as if they were somebody who's only intention in making a thread would be to annoy people and get attention. i hope you guys can take a serious look at this.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

why can't a mod just look at a thread and decide whether it's made by a low level troll alt or if it's a legitimate topic that just happened to be made by a new user?CaseyWegner
That is exactly why this rule is useless.

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

agreed.

freemilk you always bring up such great points.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I don't think the rule is useless but it should have been automatically enforced by the site, not by the mods. Anyone under level 10 on it should not have the option to create a thread on the SW board.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

I don't think the rule is useless but it should have been automatically enforced by the site, not by the mods. Anyone under level 10 on it should not have the option to create a thread on the SW board.

Vari3ty
I agree with this..
free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts
[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

ArisShadows
I agree with this..

Yes but it is still useless since most fanyboy alts are getting high level jumps. I am not sure if you are allowed to name and shame on this site.But a certain user who created his account a week ago got a huge level jump now he is level 21 and he only has 200posts which are fakeboy/fanboy posts.Its unfair on the legit users who are unlucky not to get a huge level jump and they have to work to get to level 10.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

ArisShadows

I agree with this..

why should low level posters who make legitimate discussion threads be punished? what happens when the troll accounts reach level 10?

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Well yeah, the rule never made much sense to me, especially whenever it is manually enforced by the mods and not automatically enforced by the site as it should be. Casey makes a great point as well that it discriminates against the majority of the new users who are actually interested in meaningful discussion on SW. Plus it takes little to no effort to level up on low levels so even a casual troll would have no problem waiting to level up. I think this rule was introduced as a way of burying the real underlying issue - what is meaningful discussion in SW? And how can it be protected against unmeaningful discussion? Both of these issues have still not been addressed.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I will tell you why the rule is not only useless but IDIOTIC. You think once an account reaches level 10, they aren't going to post moronic, trollish and spammy posts anymore? All you're doing is prohibiting newer more intellectual posters from participating in discussion when they first join the site. Please, whoever's the administration of these rules, be sensible and throw this policy out.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CaseyWegner

I will tell you why the rule is not only useless but IDIOTIC. You think once an account reaches level 10, they aren't going to post moronic, trollish and spammy posts anymore? All you're doing is prohibiting newer more intellectual posters from participating in discussion when they first join the site. Please, whoever's the administration of these rules, be sensible and throw this policy out.

JustPlainLucas

not sure if that's the best way of going about to get changes made but you're not wrong.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#12 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

After discussing the level 10 to post rule with moderators, volunteers, and other SW users of the site the conclusion was reached that the rule will remain in System Wars. Thanks for the feedback.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CaseyWegner

After discussing the level 10 to post rule with moderators, volunteers, and other SW users of the site the conclusion was reached that the rule will remain in System Wars. Thanks for the feedback.

Synthia

okay. we'll try again in the future.

actuall, was the removal all that was dicsussed or was the alternative of another replacement rule designed specifically to address the problem also mentioned? i can see how just removing the rule and doing nothing else would easily be rejected.

Staff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Staff
Member since 2005 • 885 Posts

Synthia

Discusion closed.