Are the "Lesser" System Worth Their Price?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
Do you guys thinks the "lesser" systems are worth their price tags? I mean the the non-Nintendo, non-Sega, non-XBox, and non-2600 systems. Stuff like Turbografx-16, 3DO, ColecoVision, Neo-Geo, Telegames Dina 2-in-1, and others. These are definetly cool items to have in any gamer's collection, unfortunately these systems have a hefty price-tag on the collector's market and chances are you aren't just gonna run across one at a flea-market or thrift shop. Then if you want any games that are worth a monkey's butt usually those are worth a pretty penny too. So my question for game collectors out there is: Are these systems you've just written off as not worth it for the same reasons I've mentioned, or are you actively seeking them (or have already bought one)? I'm asking because I'm at that point in my collection. I have all the "big" retro-consoles: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, GBA, Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, XBox, PS2 (includes PS1 playability), and Atari 2600. -Nate-
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
I personally don't think so, but it seems like people that post in Legacy collect for the sake of collecting, in the end it's a question of what your personal gaming odysee is all about. I enjoy the occasional jaunt on an old system but prefer my gaming to be a bit more current.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#3 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

It's hard to say. I depends on what their price is, and how available the games are.

AngstOverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 AngstOverlord
Member since 2008 • 139 Posts
I love my PCE Duo and 3DO. The Duo was a late-model TG-16 and supports all the the different disc formats except for the Arcade CD which only had a handful of import-only titles. I have no doubts as to why the TG-16 was a massive failure in the US... its advertising was quite limited and the multiple formats would have confused parents to death. You have the basic games on little cards, the standard CD games and Super CD games. There were several upgrade cards depending upon which system combination you had. The Duo is much less of a headache by comparison. Since mine is a Japanese system I am limited to Japanese cards (which tend to be cheaper for rare games) but it plays discs from Japan or the US. It's a goldmine for shmups, has some good pinball titles and is the easiest way to play Splatterhouse without emulating the arcade game. The only crummy thing about the Duo is that the standard TG-16 controllers don't work- they downsized the pin connector. The 3DO doesn't offer as wide of a library but is home to some interesting curiosities. Its port of Alone in the Dark is solid although the save files monopolize the poor system's internal memory. Death Keep and Slayer are two bizarre FPS-style titles based upon Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. Death Keep limits the player to set dungeons and one of three premade characters. Slayer went nuts with freedom and let the player create their own poor soul and tossed them into randomly created dungeons. Escape from Monster Manor is closer to Wolfenstein than DOOM but is a neat little FPS that focuses on recovering an item used to seal the evil spirits running amok in the Manor. Killing Time was a more ambitious FPS but suffers from substantial slowdown although it is one of few titles which boasts zombie ducks which you can step on. The 3DO's two greatest problems was its high cost and a lack of developer support. The cost kept the install base low so its games couldn't've been very profitable. It's a shame- it had the technology to stand up with the early Playstation and Saturn games. Who knows what it could have been capable of in time... I also like the Odyssey 2 if only for the fact that its controller buttons say 'ACTION' on them. I don't have much for it, though. UFO reminds me so much of a twin-stick shooter despite using one stick and making use of a rotatable shield.
Giancarlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Giancarlo
Member since 2002 • 859 Posts

The Neo Geo was probably my first major retro console purchase and I don't regret it a bit. I always wanted to own one as a kid but the original $600 price tag made the purchase a tad prohibitive. The console can still be a bit expensive (especially the ones modded with s-video), but a lot of the older games are incredibly cheap--picked up Samurai Showdown II in Japan for $5. That being said, a lot of the more recent games are still incredibly pricey (~$300), but I'm more of a fan of the older games anyway. It still gives me the feeling of "Wow, I'm playing arcade games at home" and people usually get a laugh out of seeing how huge the cartridges are.

Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 Mtngranek
Member since 2009 • 403 Posts

Going on 24 different consoles, including a few of the "lesser" ones, I'd say that they are definately worth it. I'm a collector, and a player, and I love to play all of my systems. That's just me though. Some people aren't as big of old school fans as I am, and therefore they don't see why these consoles are worth it to us.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
See signature. Turbografx-16 is a must have system. Neo Geo and Colecovision are for people who like arcade games. 3DO is also a good system. It was stupidly expensive when it came out, but now it (and most of its good games) are pretty reasonably priced. If you have interest in these systems, I'd track them down. Telegames Dina 2-in-1 is just a Colecovision clone that can also play SG-1000 games (due to the systems having identical hardware). I wouldn't recommend tracking that one down.
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

i'm not sure you'd put the Atari lynx in with the "lesser systems" , but i dont know of anyone else that had one when i was a kid. I think it's a great portable console with a handful of great games. It was pretty expensive when it was first released and had a relatively small library of games. I think its great for a collection and some of the games are incredibly fun to play (Ninja gaiden, road blasters, California games), and you should be able to find it for a reasonable price. also I have been thinking about tracking down a 3do, but now im in a small apartment so it's on hold til i get more closet space.as far as I could tell the 3do was just as good as the Saturn, but the ps1 really blew it away with some of the games like Twisted Metal, War hawk, and wipeout. the 3do was just too expensive back in the day,but i did know 1 guy that had it and I loved Road Rash. the same game can be found for the ps1 however, so its not an exclusive title or anything. and the neo geo in my opinion is for hardcore fans only. the cartridges were HUGE and its definately very rare. alot of the games have been ported over or remade, so i personally dont plan on ever getting one. It would be nice for the collection (which takes up too much space already) but I dont see the price justifying a purchase of a neo geo anytime in the near future. who knows maybe you'll get lucky and find one for a great price on Craigslist or a yardsale....

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]Do you guys thinks the "lesser" systems are worth their price tags? I mean the the non-Nintendo, non-Sega, non-XBox, and non-2600 systems. Stuff like Turbografx-16, 3DO, ColecoVision, Neo-Geo, Telegames Dina 2-in-1, and others. These are definetly cool items to have in any gamer's collection, unfortunately these systems have a hefty price-tag on the collector's market and chances are you aren't just gonna run across one at a flea-market or thrift shop. Then if you want any games that are worth a monkey's butt usually those are worth a pretty penny too. So my question for game collectors out there is: Are these systems you've just written off as not worth it for the same reasons I've mentioned, or are you actively seeking them (or have already bought one)? I'm asking because I'm at that point in my collection. I have all the "big" retro-consoles: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, GBA, Master System, Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, XBox, PS2 (includes PS1 playability), and Atari 2600. -Nate-

all but 3do are worth it that you said