Diversity in videogame main characters

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darkhadou
Member since 2003 • 649 Posts

Hello everyone! I've been playing videogames for ages now, and from generation to generation, I see that the videogames industry doesn't diversify it's main characters for videogames. I'm not calling this an 'issue', it's more like a voiced observation. Is there a higher risk in using anything other than a Caucasian lead? Take for example, the blockbuster title "Heavy Rain". We have four main characters, who happen to all be Caucasian. The developers didn't think of making one of them Hispanic? How about first person shooters? Matter of fact, the only videogames that dare to put other races as leads are RPGs, fighting games, and sports games.

So why is it that the videogame industry is taking this long to begin to diversify it's main character lineup for it's games (and also without the use of stereotypical characters)? There is nothing wrong with using womeneither, but if they are to be used in a main/main-support role, it's generally a Caucasian female. I would like to know your thoughts on this topic.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Well, there is Alyx Vance from Half-Life 2. She's a combination of ethnicities, but I don't remember which ones.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#3 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
well when we do get non-caucasian main characters (altair, sheva, and "cole train" as recent examples), their race is either because it fits most properly with the setting or simply as an aesthetic choice. none of them really confront ethnicity like a spike lee or martin scorcese. i mean, could you imagine the cole train confronting issues on black identity? :P
Nicozs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nicozs
Member since 2010 • 31 Posts
Complaining about characters races in games is stupid. The devs are being racist or anything. It's just how they fit in with the stories.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 muthsera666
well when we do get non-caucasian main characters (altair, sheva, and "cole train" as recent examples), their race is either because it fits most properly with the setting or simply as an aesthetic choice. none of them really confront ethnicity like a spike lee or martin scorcese. i mean, could you imagine the cole train confronting issues on black identity? :PLoG-Sacrament
But, come on. If a game did try to do something like that, it would get lambasted as making a mockery of the modern black man and his role in modern society. At this point in time and the medium, I don't really think games can get away with some of the poignant points that film has been able to grasp.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]well when we do get non-caucasian main characters (altair, sheva, and "cole train" as recent examples), their race is either because it fits most properly with the setting or simply as an aesthetic choice. none of them really confront ethnicity like a spike lee or martin scorcese. i mean, could you imagine the cole train confronting issues on black identity? :Pmuthsera666
But, come on. If a game did try to do something like that, it would get lambasted as making a mockery of the modern black man and his role in modern society. At this point in time and the medium, I don't really think games can get away with some of the poignant points that film has been able to grasp.

there are always sensationalists and detractors (re5 got bad press just for making black zombies), but there have been articulate video games in the past. theres nothing wrong with the medium itself.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 muthsera666
[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]well when we do get non-caucasian main characters (altair, sheva, and "cole train" as recent examples), their race is either because it fits most properly with the setting or simply as an aesthetic choice. none of them really confront ethnicity like a spike lee or martin scorcese. i mean, could you imagine the cole train confronting issues on black identity? :PLoG-Sacrament

there are always sensationalists and detractors (re5 got bad press just for making black zombies), but there have been articulate video games in the past. theres nothing wrong with the medium itself.

Oh, no. I don't mean to say that the medium in and of itself can't broach such topics. I just mean that it is still too young as a medium. It took film many years and productions to become accepted, and games are going through the same phase.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="muthsera666"] But, come on. If a game did try to do something like that, it would get lambasted as making a mockery of the modern black man and his role in modern society. At this point in time and the medium, I don't really think games can get away with some of the poignant points that film has been able to grasp.muthsera666

Oh, no. I don't mean to say that the medium in and of itself can't broach such topics. I just mean that it is still too young as a medium. It took film many years and productions to become accepted, and games are going through the same phase.

i remember reading a gdc article from a couple years ago saying that at the age the video game medium is (was at the time), film had already gotten citizen kane. whether or not the masses fully appreciate it at its time of release, video games dealing with serious topics can and should be made. i think of titles like ico. it got good reviews (although it wasnt hailed as revolutionary or anything), but generally went under the radar in terms of sales. however, its influence was felt later on when other games adopted its sense of scale and lighting. jaffe referenced it as one source of inspiration for god of war, which certainly got wide recognition.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
You mentioned Heavy Rain, then I'll mention Fahrenheit, which among the others had a black main character. He also had a white girlfriend, which is something I had very rarely seen in movies, let alone videogames.
darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

It doesn't matter to me in the slightest what race the character is - I don't care if the majority of them are white, black, blue or purple - just as long as the story is well written and they have something meaningful to say. To me quality is all that matters - things as superficial as the color of one's skin don't really matter to me at all.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

What about Devil May Cry? Odds are, Dante is asian. Most games made in Japan probably star asian characters, they just don't make it obvious, just like anime. In Death Note, Light is asian, and L is American. But by looking at them in anime form you can't tell. Most games made in Japan are the same.

I would like to see more diversity though, since North America almost always goes with white, and we do live in a more diverse culture than Japan. I don't just want diversity in race though, but also sexual orientation and everything else. These are sensitive issues mainly because people avoid it. Once it starts to be seen as normal and common, maybe people will be more accepting. But people are afraid it won't sell if a game stars a black or gay character. And to be honest, they're probably right.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#12 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

The characters in video games are about as diverse as it gets. Oh, sorry, you're only interested in skin color. Never mind.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Well responding to your post as well as the posts of others I'd first like to say that a female character that isn't totally portrayed as a "Sex Symbol" might be nice. I mean its fine to keep games like that but to have a serious game where the character is female and it doesn't focus on her gender could be kind of refreshing although if it became too feministic and to much of a female power type of thing it would definitely annoy me. Just make the character female, but without making a big deal about it.

Also I totally agree with what Muth said about games not being "allowed" to tackle such serious topics as race and other social and economic rights. I would love to see some serious games made I have been saying that for awhile. Like almost a documentary type game. Also whoever mentioned Martin Scorsese kudos :) fantastic director just watched The Departed for the first time the other night amazing movie...bit off topic but yeah.

On another topic not exactly race but in a sense nationality I would like to see a war type game where Russia or the Middle east is not the villain but maybe even where the U.S. is. I know it would probably receive some negative press still it might change our perception of us being so superior. I am admittedly American but, I would not be opposed to seeing this happen in the very least just in an effort to mix things up.

gugler990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gugler990
Member since 2010 • 2009 Posts

whatever there race is WE ALL WAYS PLAY THE AMERICAN MAN ON SHOOTERS!!!. and if we do play a shooter with a character from a different country ITS ***** RUSSIAN OR EUROPEAN*****

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#15 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

In Metal Slug, the entire team is mixed most of the time.

Two Asians, one American, one European. Quite mixed, don't you agree?

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 muthsera666
Well responding to your post as well as the posts of others I'd first like to say that a female character that isn't totally portrayed as a "Sex Symbol" might be nice. I mean its fine to keep games like that but to have a serious game where the character is female and it doesn't focus on her gender could be kind of refreshing although if it became too feministic and to much of a female power type of thing it would definitely annoy me. Just make the character female, but without making a big deal about it.TacticalDesire
Jade from Beyond Good & Evil was a great heroine.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]Well responding to your post as well as the posts of others I'd first like to say that a female character that isn't totally portrayed as a "Sex Symbol" might be nice. I mean its fine to keep games like that but to have a serious game where the character is female and it doesn't focus on her gender could be kind of refreshing although if it became too feministic and to much of a female power type of thing it would definitely annoy me. Just make the character female, but without making a big deal about it.muthsera666
Jade from Beyond Good & Evil was a great heroine.

Hm... let's find a few more female main characters that are not objectified.

Kate Walker from Syberia

Kate Archer from No One Lives Forever

Carla Valenti from Fahrenheit (ok, just a bit)

Victoria Mc Pherson from Still Life

Polybren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Polybren
Member since 2004 • 1678 Posts

There are a few reasons for the lack of diversity in games. One of the big ones is that mainstream games are often made by white dudes for white dudes. Maybe some of them can't relate to characters that are black, female, gay or whatever. Maybe they just think it would be disrespectful to create a character like that when you don't really understand the culture of that group from the inside out. Maybe it just never occurs to them that their main character could be anything if the story doesn't specifically require them to be a white male. Maybe they have marketing departments that tell them gamers don't want to play as Iranian lesbians or black guys in wheelchairs.

I think culturally, we're doing a better job of recognizing and respecting minorities. But I still think the entertainment media we consume--especially the stuff made by publicly traded corporations--will trail cultural advancements significantly. Just look at the Oscars, where we've only in recent years seen a black Best Actress and a woman Best Director. I think culturally we've been able to accept both of those things for decades, but commercially, studios haven't bankrolled many high-profile films with women directors, and movies with a substantial leading role for a black actresses have been written and produced less often than those with a meaty opportunity for, say, Meryl Streep.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

There's a great article in the latest GI about female characters in games.

Female characters are often featured less often in games because of budget and time concerns. In order to include female characters in actual gameplay (as opposed to them showing up solely in cinematics, as it the case with Gears of War), the devs actually have to create unique skeletons (whereas they would just be using one skeleton if the enemies and playable characters were all male) and have to do an entirely separate set of animations for the female characters. So you're basically doubling your animation budget just to get a girl in there. Devs like Cliff B. expressed disappointment over not being able to use female soldiers in the Gears of War games because of the added expense(though they do exist in the comics based on the franchise). The upcoming Crackdown 2 had to cut its female playable characters out for this reason. So games do have concerns that movies don't and that has to factor into comparing the diversity of the characters between the two mediums.

Another interesting thing about the article was about how difficult it was designing the female playable character for Fable. As much as we want to blame undersexed developers for the sexuality in games, it was actually the women on the development team for Fable 2 that were getting upset when the female's level growth resulted in a stockier and therefore less traditionally beautiful avatar. I think this aspect is more of a cultural issue than a gaming or even a male issue. Afterall, you don't get on the cover of Mademoiselle by being smart. I think games in general have been a much better source for strong heroines than film.

As to ethnicities. Some of it is the demographics of developers and gamers I'm sure, but some people just don't want to open a can of worms. And that can of worms is way too easy to open in this country. Even in these forums, after Mirror's Edge came out there were people complaining that Faith's eyes were too slanty and she was therefore an Asian stereotype disguising the true beauty of asian people and blah blah blah...I really can't blame developers for just playing it safe.

kodyoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kodyoo
Member since 2010 • 258 Posts

HL2 has plenty of black characters.
And Mass effect 2 even has characters of different species.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 muthsera666
I think culturally, we're doing a better job of recognizing and respecting minorities. But I still think the entertainment media we consume--especially the stuff made by publicly traded corporations--will trail cultural advancements significantly. Just look at the Oscars, where we've only in recent years seen a black Best Actress and a woman Best Director. I think culturally we've been able to accept both of those things for decades, but commercially, studios haven't bankrolled many high-profile films with women directors, and movies with a substantial leading role for a black actresses have been written and produced less often than those with a meaty opportunity for, say, Meryl Streep.Polybren
I hate to say it, but I think part of the problem is the double-standard. Black Entertainment Television? Ebony? If a publication specifically stated that they would only have white people, all of the minority groups would be upset, and rightly so. However, they shouldn't be allowed to create the exact thing that they can't stand in another portion of society. "Do as I say and not as I do" undermines their position.
San-Frodenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#22 San-Frodenzo
Member since 2008 • 14337 Posts
what we should do is understand that a person is a person despite the color of their skin.. I see a character in a videogame and all I see is, well, a character in a videogame.. I never think "oh this dude is black or white"... just a character. but you see why devs are kinda "scared" to leave the well stablishment standards for main characters... I mean make a game where a white dude kills everybody and it's ok but make a game where a black or hispano dude kills ppl and hell breaks lose b/c "they are giving that community a bad image".
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darkhadou
[QUOTE="Polybren"]I think culturally, we're doing a better job of recognizing and respecting minorities. But I still think the entertainment media we consume--especially the stuff made by publicly traded corporations--will trail cultural advancements significantly. Just look at the Oscars, where we've only in recent years seen a black Best Actress and a woman Best Director. I think culturally we've been able to accept both of those things for decades, but commercially, studios haven't bankrolled many high-profile films with women directors, and movies with a substantial leading role for a black actresses have been written and produced less often than those with a meaty opportunity for, say, Meryl Streep.muthsera666
I hate to say it, but I think part of the problem is the double-standard. Black Entertainment Television? Ebony? If a publication specifically stated that they would only have white people, all of the minority groups would be upset, and rightly so. However, they shouldn't be allowed to create the exact thing that they can't stand in another portion of society. "Do as I say and not as I do" undermines their position.

what we should do is understand that a person is a person despite the color of their skin.. I see a character in a videogame and all I see is, well, a character in a videogame.. I never think "oh this dude is black or white"... just a character. but you see why devs are kinda "scared" to leave the well stablishment standards for main characters... I mean make a game where a white dude kills everybody and it's ok but make a game where a black or hispano dude kills ppl and hell breaks lose b/c "they are giving that community a bad image".San-Frodenzo
Thanks to all of you for your introspective. Just to answer a few, I am not bothered at all by the characters race/gender in a vdeogame. I made an observation. I have to agree with San and Muthsera here. Giving the devs the benefit of the doubt, there could be issues with the double standards of society, and of course, these guys are out to make profit. So they will do whats best to do so. I would just like to see more minorities being featured in main roles in our videogames. GTA:San Andreas did that well (even though it wasn't exactly positive).
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 muthsera666
I would just like to see more minorities being featured in main roles in our videogames. GTA:San Andreas did that well (even though it wasn't exactly positive).darkhadou
GTA: VC had an Italian-American protagonist as well. Lumping all the whites together (not you specifically), is one of the reasons why their doesn't seem to be as much diversity. If we go by ethnicities, and not just skin color, there is a fair amount of diversity.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#25 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="Polybren"] I hate to say it, but I think part of the problem is the double-standard. Black Entertainment Television? Ebony? If a publication specifically stated that they would only have white people, all of the minority groups would be upset, and rightly so. However, they shouldn't be allowed to create the exact thing that they can't stand in another portion of society. "Do as I say and not as I do" undermines their position.darkhadou
what we should do is understand that a person is a person despite the color of their skin.. I see a character in a videogame and all I see is, well, a character in a videogame.. I never think "oh this dude is black or white"... just a character. but you see why devs are kinda "scared" to leave the well stablishment standards for main characters... I mean make a game where a white dude kills everybody and it's ok but make a game where a black or hispano dude kills ppl and hell breaks lose b/c "they are giving that community a bad image".San-Frodenzo
Thanks to all of you for your introspective. Just to answer a few, I am not bothered at all by the characters race/gender in a vdeogame. I made an observation. I have to agree with San and Muthsera here. Giving the devs the benefit of the doubt, there could be issues with the double standards of society, and of course, these guys are out to make profit. So they will do whats best to do so. I would just like to see more minorities being featured in main roles in our videogames. GTA:San Andreas did that well (even though it wasn't exactly positive).

I agree with all of you. For those who think including characters from different races, genders, etnicities...etc. boosts one's self esteem, they're wrong. Because self esteem comes from within. People and the media do not give you self-esteem. It's as if people are items in the market and the item that sells the most, exposed to the public in other words, has the highest self esteem.

I think, characters should be in context. Whether they'r black or white, it all should be chosen in accordance to the setting.

liffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 liffi
Member since 2004 • 254 Posts

To me it doesn't much affect one way or the other what race the main character is. The sad thing is in some games when thay put black dude in it, it is this cliche kind of black man. And that is why sometimes I hate when thay use other races cause they put these cliche kind of people in it. But yeah. I love how they use more female main char in game these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
deactivated-5bb421ab1b937

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
Member since 2010 • 354 Posts

Before I clicked this thread, I was gonna say I've never seen a hispanic lead video game character.

I only ever heard a kid on xbox live say that Master Chief was secretly Mexican, but now I've seen screenshots online, and he's white.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#28 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Hollywood are still using Caucasian males as leads, and it has more to do with the amount of actors in Hollywood who happen to be of caucasian origins. The fact that there are many caucasians having leading roles has more to do with the developers trying to create a Hollywood-like experience. Of course, in RPGs, that is rendered moot due to customizable characters.
San-Frodenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#29 San-Frodenzo
Member since 2008 • 14337 Posts

Before I clicked this thread, I was gonna say I've never seen a hispanic lead video game character.

I only ever heard a kid on xbox live say that Master Chief was secretly Mexican, but now I've seen screenshots online, and he's white.

SupaKoopaTroopa
lol that's one of the craziest theories I have ever heard...
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 darkhadou
[QUOTE="SupaKoopaTroopa"]

LMAO!!!
darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 darkhadou

Well responding to your post as well as the posts of others I'd first like to say that a female character that isn't totally portrayed as a "Sex Symbol" might be nice. I mean its fine to keep games like that but to have a serious game where the character is female and it doesn't focus on her gender could be kind of refreshing although if it became too feministic and to much of a female power type of thing it would definitely annoy me. Just make the character female, but without making a big deal about it.

TacticalDesire
You are absolutely right. Why can't a female character just be a female character without all the excessive boobs, curse words, and machoness? It's worked for Madison Paige in Heavy Rain, Samus in Metroid, Rebecca/Jill/Claire from the Resident Evil games, Princess Peach from Mario (LOL) etc. I think a lot of these developers overdo it with the women sometimes as well. By Soul Calibur 5, Ivy would have a special move whereby if she's knocked into water, her boobs will help her float back to the ring. :-P
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#32 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

SupaKoopaTroopa
Dominic Santiago and Carlos Olivera are two that come to mind off the bat for me.