Hardest retro game you beat?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SNESFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SNESFTW
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I hope this hasn't been done before, at least not in the past month or so. So what was the hardest retro game you beat, for me its ninja gaiden.
arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

castlevania 1. I know its been said a million times but that game is ****ing hard

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
I used to be a lot more driven in the NES days, getting a new game every six months at best will do that to you. But man, those games were hard. The hardest? Probably Gunsmoke, I couldn't beat the first level last time that I tried.
Fragasnap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Fragasnap
Member since 2005 • 253 Posts

Double freaking Dragon III: The Rosetta Stones (Nintendo Entertainment System). Have you played it?

There are tons of people who can't beat the first level, let alone get through all five.
Speaking of the fifth level, it starts with an instant death pit over which you must fight three enemies, then you have to fight a crap-load of enemies, then go inside a pyramid where you have to fight four more guys over instant death pits, then jump on to a moving platform and jump off of it early enough less you be thrown into an instant death pit, then fight three more guys, then fight a crap-load of enemies, then enter a chamber and fight a crap-load of ninjas, and then enter a final chamber where you have to fight three mummies followed immediately thereafter fighting a boss who warps about constantly, shoots fireballs, and hurls you against a wall with telekinesis if you're too far away.
Oh, and you've got three characters (if none of them died in the previous levels, not to mention that one of them sucks), two continues (if you haven't used any, and they put you at the start of the level anyway), and none of your characters' health bars regenerate through this whole sequence.

It was so hard but so incredibly satisfying.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Ive actually beaten a few.

Ninja Gaiden: Took a LOT of trial and error. Theres one spot in the last area where you basically have to glitch the platform with the mummy cross-throwing thing. Then the boss fight is stupid because if you die you go all the way back to the beginning of the level. So satisfying to finally beat though.

Double Dragon 3: Once I learned you have to keep moving vertically, and the attacks to use this game gets easier. I use Billy for most of the game, only doing cyclone kicks. Chin is only good for clearing trash, four punches kills just about anything. I only use Ranzou in the last level, for platform jumping, mummy killing and when Billy dies at the Princess. Hard game, but beatable.

Mike Tysons Punch Out: If you can survive the first two minutes, you can beat Iron Mike. Thing is, you have to knock him out. The game never awards you the decision.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts: This game is sadistic. Getting through to almost the end of the game, then finding out you have to do it all over again with the most pathetic weapon in the game, the Bracelet. Then if you lose the bracelet you have to go and get it again, then go all the way back through it. This one takes a lot of time, patience and a really calm temperment. But its beatable.

Ive beaten more really hard ones, but these are the ones that come off the top of my head.

SdotB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 SdotB
Member since 2006 • 37 Posts

Ninja Gaiden on the NES - I think it was back in 2005, I would play it each night getting frustrated and then turning off the game. Then one night I told myself that I wasn't gonna leave until I beat the game. When I did, I got a huge feeling of satisfaction.

doabarrelrole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 doabarrelrole
Member since 2009 • 940 Posts

Battletoads

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

Castlevania Dracula X Rondo of Blood for the PC Engine. Followed by the original Castlevania.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Contra for the NES.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

Contra for the NES.

jun_aka_pekto

With or without the Konami code? The code makes a huuuuge diference.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Contra for the NES.

Pixel-Pirate

What code?

No code, at least back in 1988. I played it on and on until I can get the moves just right and through trial and error. Of course, the game was always the same no matter what. I just kind of memorized each sequence.

NoQuarterGiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NoQuarterGiven
Member since 2008 • 461 Posts

Mine would be the Adventures of Bayou Billy. I got to the end and was killed by the final boss pair, then somehow beat it on one of my last lives without a weapon. Since then I haven't beaten it again, and I've tried several times.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

definetly battletoads, and my first playthrough of megaman 2 (although after I beat it a few times and got the rythym of the levels it became a lot easier.)

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Gradius III.

The original arcade version of Gradius III featured no continue option, and this made the game tremendously hard to clear on a level that Konami actually had to recall the game PCBs.

Of course the game wasn't "retro" when I played it, though.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Jaws on the NES. Getting to the part where you have to kill JAws was easy enough. But getting the timing down for the final blow was impossible for the longest time.

DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Ninja Gaiden II-III, and Adventure of Bayou Billy
ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

All of the Contra games. I probably took the longest with Operation C. Without the Konami code. my brother wouldn't tell me what the code was until AFTER I beat the game.

doabarrelrole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 doabarrelrole
Member since 2009 • 940 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Contra for the NES.

jun_aka_pekto

What code?

No code, at least back in 1988. I played it on and on until I can get the moves just right and through trial and error. Of course, the game was always the same no matter what. I just kind of memorized each sequence.

seriously? wow you arethe most dedicated gamer i know

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jun_aka_pekto

seriously? wow you arethe most dedicated gamer i knowdoabarrelrole

Hey, I was young and single at one time too. He He He. I managed to finish Contra plus Zelda 1 and 2 on the NES before my interests shifted to women.

But, I was wondering how my younger cousin finished Contra not too long after I did when he was having all sorts of problem in the game. It's probably that code mentioned.

ContraQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ContraQueen
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

I beat Contra when I was 8. Not that hard guys, seriously.

RaZoR_RaiN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 RaZoR_RaiN
Member since 2009 • 489 Posts

Not sure how 'retro' we're talkin'. Here's a few from different periods...

- Black Tiger. (arcade)

Took ages and chewed many coins, but I played it until I could beat it with a single credit. ;)

- Strider. (arcade)

Same deal.

- Mortal Kombat 2. (arcade)

I'm one of a rare few that could beat it in the arcade with no continues.

- Wipeout 2097.(PS1)

Phantom cla$$ took some persistence to beat. Awesome game!

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels on Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES and Crystalis for the NES. Both of those games are very hard towards the end. I've come very close to beating Ninja Gaiden II and The Battle of Olympus both for NES but just couldn't quite finish the job. Ninja Gaiden for the original XBox is impossible for me. I couldn't even beat the first boss after like 20 tries. -Nate-
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

There was a pair of old action-rpg type games on the NES that gave me fits for a whole summer:

"Legacy of the Wizard" and "The Battle of Olympus".

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Emerald_Warrior

There was a pair of old action-rpg type games on the NES that gave me fits for a whole summer:

TheKungFool
Battle of Olympus is freaking awesome! Hard, but fun. Legacy of the Wizard is a confusing mess. There is no direction to the game and absolutely no clues on which way to go or why. -Nate-
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

Emerald_Warrior

Battle of Olympus is freaking awesome! Hard, but fun. Legacy of the Wizard is a confusing mess. There is no direction to the game and absolutely no clues on which way to go or why. -Nate-

yeah, exactly Nate.

"Battle of Olympus" was indeed alot of fun, and was just as good as "Faxanadu", "Simon's Quest" or "Zelda II" which all had similar gameplay and design.

As for "Legacy of the Wizard" it was definitely confusing, though I'm not sure I'd call it a "mess". It was actually well designed, it just required a helluva lot of patience, memorization, and mapping. It was kinda unique for its time though, at least in that you had the 5 different characters who each had thier own abilities and items they could use. It was interesting how the Father was strong enough to push blocks, but the daughter had higher jump, so depending upon which character you were, you had to go through the maze a different way. Actually, lol, skrew it, you're right, it was kinda a "mess" LOL haha

SNESFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SNESFTW
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Ninja Gaiden on the NES - I think it was back in 2005, I would play it each night getting frustrated and then turning off the game. Then one night I told myself that I wasn't gonna leave until I beat the game. When I did, I got a huge feeling of satisfaction.

SdotB
same here, took a very long break, years later I finally beat it!
bALTHar86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bALTHar86
Member since 2008 • 567 Posts

Phantasy Star 4 was pretty difficult I remember more than once spending an hour or so crawling through a dungeon only to have some ridiculously hard boss wipe out my entire team and then having to start from the begining of the dungeon again.

Also Miracle Warriors had this ridiculous puzzel near the end that made it almost impossible to beat - you just had to keep trying again and again.

The Mega Drive (Genesis) Terminator game was pretty hardcore as well - you only had one life and rather than start from the beginning of the level you had to start from the beginning of the game if you died. Also, you couldn't jump which made the final level a nightmare because there were loads of dead ends and half a terminator following you so if you hit a dead end that was it - no escape.

tequilero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#29 tequilero
Member since 2005 • 9333 Posts

I don´t know how I did it,but I managed to beat Batman.The first couple levels were not that hard;but the last one was a pain in the ***,including the boss.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Second_Rook
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"][QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

One of my friends beat Legacy of the Wizard, but I have no idea how muct time he spent on it. If anyone still wants to have a go at it check out Deceased Crab's Let's Play Legacy of the Wizard video series on youtube. Pretty impressive playthrough.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Emerald_Warrior

I don´t know how I did it,but I managed to beat Batman.The first couple levels were not that hard;but the last one was a pain in the ***,including the boss.

tequilero
Congratulations! I just took another try at it a couple of months ago, and I can never get past that metal-like industrial level with fire and stuff everywhere. -Nate-
NIkoscho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#32 NIkoscho
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

Battle Toads for sure... The most hard game on NES ...F***ing hard,took me years to master every level and finally finish it.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

Battletoads

doabarrelrole

How in the world did you beat Battletoads? I was playing on this thing that had an instant rewind feature and I could never get past that part where that wheel thing was chasing you though a maze.

JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
Ninja Gaiden 1 for NES. Major accomplishment when I finally beat it.
kingdavid562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kingdavid562
Member since 2010 • 1173 Posts
i haven't beat any of my retro games : ( that's why i want a game genie... but i am close to beating fire emblem: moshou no nazo for super famicom
Avatar image for deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
deactivated-5f5404ad8217e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5f5404ad8217e
Member since 2005 • 1637 Posts

Zelda 2 and castlevania 4. hopefully one of these days i get around to beating the first castlevania.

email2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 email2003
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
Castlevania & Ninja Gaiden on NES.
Giancarlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Giancarlo
Member since 2002 • 859 Posts

Phantasy Star 4 was pretty difficult I remember more than once spending an hour or so crawling through a dungeon only to have some ridiculously hard boss wipe out my entire team and then having to start from the begining of the dungeon again.

Also Miracle Warriors had this ridiculous puzzel near the end that made it almost impossible to beat - you just had to keep trying again and again.

The Mega Drive (Genesis) Terminator game was pretty hardcore as well - you only had one life and rather than start from the beginning of the level you had to start from the beginning of the game if you died. Also, you couldn't jump which made the final level a nightmare because there were loads of dead ends and half a terminator following you so if you hit a dead end that was it - no escape.

bALTHar86

Glad I'm not the only one who had trouble with Miracle Warriors. That game drove me nuts.

CUDCUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CUDCUD
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

Ninja Gaiden, i beat it an hour ago.

KamikazeDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 137

User Lists: 1

#40 KamikazeDonut
Member since 2008 • 3016 Posts

Psssstt me none, I suck at Retro games the closest would be Sonic the Hedgehog

Glython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Glython
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Maybe not the hardest but I finally completed Super Mario Kart 150cc on SNES the other day.

Also beaten Ninja Gaiden 2 on NES, but I don't feel so special now seeing so many people in this thread ha :?

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Emerald_Warrior

Maybe not the hardest but I finally completed Super Mario Kart 150cc on SNES the other day.

Also beaten Ninja Gaiden 2 on NES, but I don't feel so special now seeing so many people in this thread ha :?

Glython
It took me a couple of years. That level with all the fire and fireballs that shot upwards was crazy hard. I had to memorize the heck out of that level to get through it. Your life bar didn't even matter in that level because like in every part if you got hit even once, you were knocked backwards and fell to your doom towards a fiery death below. And all the bosses after the first boss were quite hard to kill without the right Ninpo magic and the energy left to use it. -Nate-
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#43 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

Super Ghouls & Ghosts was one of the first games I ever got on SNES and I beat it dozens of times when I was 8.
I now own every game in the series on almost every platform and I can't beat a single one without continues :(.

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Second_Rook
[QUOTE="Glython"]

Those aren't easy accomplishments. Particularly considering the Mario Kart franchise is about as cheap it gets when it comes to screwing the player over.
BlackhawkBix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45 BlackhawkBix
Member since 2009 • 258 Posts

Ninja Gaiden.

tortlecar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points