Sega CD, Should I or Shouldn't I?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts
Should I get it, or shouldn't I? I'm really debating this one. I want to, so I have a more complete video game collection, but is it really worth it? The only games that I can think of that I'd want that are affordable, Sega CD exlusive, and good are: -Sonic CD -Star War: Rebel Assault -And a few 2d spaceship shooters -I'd of course want Lunar, but it's pricey online and hard to find locally. The rest are either crappy FMV games, or they're also available on the Genesis or Saturn, both which I own. And while at one time these things were affordable, they're just as expensive as getting a used a PS2 because they're just starting to become collectable. So it's kind of a now or never deal because they're probably gonna just keep going up in value. It's a toughie. I can get one on Amazon for $70, which is the best deal I can find out there right now. All the cheaper ones are broken or missing wires. Would you other retro-gamers go for it? -Nate-
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

If you aren't moving alot, have a nice setup, and really want it at this point in time, I say why not? I prefer the older consoles. I own a 360 and ps3, but I hardly use either of them. Just make sure the Sega CD is in good order. It's good to hear that you can get a working disc based system that old.

kit352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 kit352
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts
id get it. it still has some good games, i actually liked the fmv games. collection wise those games are key. its easier to show the evolution of gaming.
savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
SEGA CD is a great system, but under no circumstances should you pay that much for one. 40 dollars at the most. I just bought one for that a few weeks ago.
Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

lol I think you should check this out. Maybe it will help you on you're decision.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-video-screwattack/19089

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Emerald_Warrior
I already saw that video, good stuff. I love The Angry Video Game Nerd. But I am one of the few that actually prefer the even more immature Irate Gamer. -Nate-
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="savebattery"]SEGA CD is a great system, but under no circumstances should you pay that much for one. 40 dollars at the most. I just bought one for that a few weeks ago.

I would say the same, only get a Mega CD if you find it for a fairly cheap price, there are some great games on it.
-Murdock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Murdock-
Member since 2006 • 2767 Posts
The Sega CD only has a very few gems. Sonic CD is one of them, but you can get it on Gamecube/Wii in one of the collections. Besides that, Snatcher and the Earthworm Jim Special Edition...everything else is better off passed on. Now if you want to have a console with some awful titles to show friends ONCE then I suppose its worth the money, but its a long way to go for a gag. I say save your money.
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts
Murdock is onto something. Two great games that can't be had elsewhere, is that worth 70 dollars plus the cost of thos games, a quick search shows me that low end for Snatcher is 140 dollars and Earthworm Jim is another 70, so were looking a 280 dollars for that which cannot be had elsewhere. I guess it depends how hard you work for your money.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Final Fight CD was great game.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

There's hardly any game system out there where you don't have to spend a good amount of money to get the most sought-after games on them nowadays. That said, most of the games on the Mega-CD are still cheaper than their original retail price though.

However, if you think those are the only good games worth getting for the Mega-CD, then the system might not be for you.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Other than Dark Wizard I see no point in owning it...lunar is better on other systems (PS1 or now PSP)
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Emerald_Warrior
I found one from Craigslist for $25, happy gaming days ahead! -Nate
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

My question to you is why are you getting it? If you like collecting, then I'd say yes. It's a cool, retro console with some games that I think are still worth playing today, like Popful Mail. And there are those FMV games, like them or loathe them, they do have their place in gaming history.

Otherwise, I think a good number of those games are available elsewhere (like Lunar on the PS1, Sonic CD in that GC compilation, etc...), If you're interested in the games, I'd hunt those down individually on consoles you may already have.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Definitely cop one.
Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

a really really good overlooked sega cd game is android assault. i'd highly consider getting that game if u get a sega cd.

Giancarlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Giancarlo
Member since 2002 • 859 Posts

Final Fight CD was great game.DeafNYCPlayer

I will second this. Best home version of Final Fight for a really long time, and it has remixed music. Also, a word of advice, if you can get the CDX incarnation of the Sega CD hardware then go for it. The original model had a ton of problems and the side-by-side model, while a little more reliable, often has problems as well. I've had my CDX for almost 10 years and it's still going strong.

Goobberzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Goobberzz
Member since 2008 • 592 Posts

I'd say as long as it doesn't cost anymore than about $50 go for it, though I advise you to stay away from Bram Stoker's Dracula...seriously.

ac_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 ac_90
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts

i wouldn't get it man it's not worth it. it's pretty cool when you first get it cuz of the soundtracks and the different types of games availiable on it but after like 2 weeks the novelty wears off and you'll never play it

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

[QUOTE="DeafNYCPlayer"]Final Fight CD was great game.Giancarlo

I will second this. Best home version of Final Fight for a really long time, and it has remixed music. Also, a word of advice, if you can get the CDX incarnation of the Sega CD hardware then go for it. The original model had a ton of problems and the side-by-side model, while a little more reliable, often has problems as well. I've had my CDX for almost 10 years and it's still going strong.

I've had my Mega CD since I first got it 17 years ago and it still works fine. I have Mega-CDs from all three regions and they're still in top condition.

The Multi-Mega (CDX) actually has compatibility problems with various games, so its actually inferior to a standard Mega-CD in that aspect. Furthermore around the time of its first price drop I went over two different systems and they gave me the same CD skipping issues with some of my games, so I gave up on it and traded it for a Neo*Geo CD.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Emerald_Warrior

a really really good overlooked sega cd game is android assault. i'd highly consider getting that game if u get a sega cd.

littlestreakier
It's on my wishlist. I got the following games with it: -Chuck Rock -Flashback: The Quest For Identity -Sonic CD -Star Wars: Rebel Assault -Stellar Fire I still want Android Assault, and the 2 Lunar games. But that's a pretty good start on Sega CD games for now. And while Earthworm Jim, the Lethal Enforcers, and Final Fight are cool, I'd rather have the no-load-time SNES or Genesis versions. -Nate-
speed_ballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 speed_ballz
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts

I used to have the SCD myself (the too-long 18 wheeler edition). It was a decent unit that was ahead of its day, and its fuzzy FMV graphics and list of panned games were testament to this. Mine also had chronic problems with the laser read device, a problem which I think is common with CD consoles. Make sure you check around online thoroughly to find the most competitive price (and watch out with being gouged with shipping rates).A couple ofgames that come to mind thatare either exclusive to the SCD or markedly better than the Gen version are 'WWF Rage in the Cage" (excl.)and "The Terminator" (*way* better). The latter is a well-received game and a worthwhile addition to your collection:

http://www.gamespot.com/segacd/action/terminator/index.html?tag=result;title;0