deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Right now Mark "I swear I'm not a robot" Zuckerberg is ruining VR with his stupid Metaverse garbage that nobody gives a damn about not even his own employees. I feel he has set VR back a few years at least with all the Metaverse nonsense. It's just a damn shame VR is not where it needs to be now there's other companies out there and I'm glad Sony is coming out with a new headset next year but VR has a long way to go. I still think VR is amazing in general and there's so many possibilities with it besides gaming. I hate where VR is now it feels like it's in it's growing pains stage with the tech along way to go. It just feels like a waiting game now for the right headset to come along that is wireless but powerful enough to get great visuals, fov, and most importantly software and price.

Anyways what are your thoughts on the state of VR now?

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4273 Posts

Nintendo was right in a sense; VR had some time before it develops into something of a powerhouse.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58503 Posts

It certainly seems to have petered out, that's for sure.

VR always seemed, to me at least, to be one of those things that needs to remain niche and grassroots. Lots of smaller developers, or maybe some newly established studios with something to prove, or something like that, working to make VR what it can be. And that is more or less how it has been for this current iteration of VR. Then eventually some study would come out saying a certain % of people have a kit after so many years, and then the AAA folks would finally create a gold rush for VR and it would be widely adopted.

Sadly the adoption hasn't happened yet, and while I wouldn't call VR a fad or trend, it isn't as flashy or wow-inducing as it was a couple years ago.

Then you have Zuckerberg doing whatever it is he is trying to do, which is terrible.

It's tricky because it's expensive, especially for console gamers that tend to just want a console and call it good after that.

At the end of the day, VR is still relatively new and doesn't seem to be worth it to most developers. Which is a shame, because it's honestly one of the most impressive things I've ever experienced as far as at-home entertainment goes.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 outworld222

@mrbojangles25: I’ve always pictured myself when I’m 70 or 80 years old, everyone is playing they’re VR games, and the “older style” gamer kinda getting laughed out whenever they mention their own style of gaming, be it console or whatnot.

Kinda like Back to the Future where Biff controls a dystopian society. Sadly, that’s where I see gaming headed.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58503 Posts

@outworld222 said:

@mrbojangles25: I’ve always pictured myself when I’m 70 or 80 years old, everyone is playing they’re VR games, and the “older style” gamer kinda getting laughed out whenever they mention their own style of gaming, be it console or whatnot.

Kinda like Back to the Future where Biff controls a dystopian society. Sadly, that’s where I see gaming headed.

Yeah I'll be in the retirement home still having LAN parties 🤣Cords running across the hall and into rooms. Even though we don't need to because we have holodecks.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

I hope someday VR is this real although at this stage it's a brain computer interface.

Loading Video...

SirBernard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9 SirBernard
Member since 2021 • 18 Posts

Eventually VR will be something that's essential in gaming. The problem with VR is that it got popular real fast while it was still in its infancy. Give it a good 10 or so years and I wouldn't be shocked if most households have a pair of VR goggles.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 outworld222

@sirbernard: yes!!! That makes sense.

You know it’s the next step in evolution, gaming or otherwise.

MK245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MK245
Member since 2012 • 128 Posts

Well if you really need something to liven up your VR gaming there is this: Really nifty VR headset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@MK245 said:

Well if you really need something to liven up your VR gaming there is this: Really nifty VR headset

I don't know if live is the right word lol but yeah I heard about that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59318 Posts

Pretty much agree with everything you said Warmblur.

Seen goobers saying "oh gimmick gimmick", it really isn't. Mean just playing Halflife 2 VR this week... never want to go back to the flat screen version again. Not even funny how much better it is in VR.

A lot of the software just sucks and got greedy ass companies trying to crown themselves on an already little dribble of quality titles.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

I am very frustrated that i moved into a new place and I can't use my Index any more due to a lack of space at the moment. I miss VR :(.

The fragmentation and cost of entry are a big problem. You can get relatively cheap headsets like the quest, but that's tied to an ecosystem (and it's meta/facebook...so eww). To get a headset with fewer or no strings attached costs a lot more. worth it imho...but a lot of money.

I'm kinda hoping Sony will make the PSVR2 compatible with the PC (using the most open standard possible ideally...i think openXR is ready to go) and release their VR games on the PC also. But, like meta, i suspect Sony wont be making much money on PSVR2 hardware and, instead, will be banking on software sales and subs. They will want to keep that in their ecosystem. Still they are releasing PC games so you never know.

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#15  Edited By Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 714 Posts

Oculus quest 2 is the pits

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7307 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Seen goobers saying "oh gimmick gimmick", it really isn't. Mean just playing Halflife 2 VR this week... never want to go back to the flat screen version again. Not even funny how much better it is in VR.

A lot of the software just sucks and got greedy ass companies trying to crown themselves on an already little dribble of quality titles.

it really can be awesome definitely for FPS. you should try moss 1 and 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
@uninspiredcup said:

I know playing old games in VR is amazing. I mentioned this before but the first game I ever beat in VR was Mirror's Edge using Vorpx it was a mind blowing experience. It even comes down to the little things in the game like admiring the texture work and architecture just getting really immersed in the world something that flat screen can never do to the level of what VR can. It's hard to play again in flat screen and all it does is make me want to play again but in a better VR headset with no screen door effect.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59318 Posts

@warmblur: Kind blown away by the quality of Halflife 2 VR. It isn't just like some jank user-made port, they've directly took design lessons from Alyx and (aside from some dodgy ladder climbing) it feels like a prof made product.

Certainly miles better than the fully paid shit Bethesda and Gearbox were charging.

benjamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By benjamo
Member since 2022 • 6 Posts

totally agree with the OP. couple that with the fact that sony is trying to get $500 for the PSVR 2 and its comical. pffffffft! update the firmware for the first crappy tech please and thank you.