Which is the worse Doom?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

Yes, yes we've had dozen of threads which is the best version of x game, but today I want something different.

What are the worst ports of DooM ever made?

the 3DO version? The Saturn version? The SNES version? take your pick and explain why :P

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Saturn , it looks more or less like the PS1 version and has the same boring music (in fact, I think its a direct port) , but runs at a terrible frame rate , probably around 10fps, sometimes lower.

3DO at least has great music, and the SNES and 32X weren't capable of a perfect (or even near perfect port,) so its forgivable on that part.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rilpas
which has the worst framerate? 3do or saturn? what about graphics?
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I quite liked the 32x version, at the time. I was a rabid id Software fan from the start. We had "Wolfenstein" as shareware at the office I worked for, and so "DOOM" was a big hit instantly. I was living check to check at the time, and so I didn't have a computer at home which would run those id games, and I had a 32x, so playing "DOOM" on my TV was a big hairy deal. I still have all of the 32x stuff but I haven't seen it for decades. I think, because of the difficulty on the Genesis control which wasn't the best as I recall, the limited feature set (no eventual level creator, no LAN), I would have to say that version is my least-favorite... But I feel like, any "DOOM" is GOOD "DOOM", because I'm such a fan of the series, over-all.

The game I think is possibly the most off, programming-wise, would be the GBA port of "DOOM II", which has some aiming issues (the gun fires slightly off to the left, so you need to correct a bit by aiming just right of center to hit enemies at a long distance). But again, it's purrtyGOOD. "DOOM" in your pocket on a GBA SP was a great feeling for me, to have it wherever I went. Still feel that way about those carts - And GBA "Wolfenstein 3D", for that matter.

:D

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Darkman2007
which has the worst framerate? 3do or saturn? what about graphics?rilpas
both are pretty similar in frame rate but the Saturn looks better, since it looks very close to the PC original (other than the redesigns the console levels had) , wheres the 3DO cuts back things www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv10avldXQ4 www.youtube.com/watch?v=msfL7XRe6DQ and Doom on the Saturn has more levels, if I remember correctly it has Doom 2 on it as well, wheres 3DO Doom doesn't
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rilpas
why does the 3do run so poorly though? I mean, we can chalk up the saturn version to poor porting. But what about the 3do? surely it could do better, right?
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="rilpas"]why does the 3do run so poorly though? I mean, we can chalk up the saturn version to poor porting. But what about the 3do? surely it could do better, right?

well ,yes, in fact, one of the games I own for the 3DO is Killing Time www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM9u1DsSj04 its not Quake or Duke 3D , but it does show a decent Doom port could have been done. so in the 3DO's case it was also a pretty poor port, from what I know, the 3DO also has its limitations, so that doesn't help it either.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]why does the 3do run so poorly though? I mean, we can chalk up the saturn version to poor porting. But what about the 3do? surely it could do better, right?Darkman2007
well ,yes, in fact, one of the games I own for the 3DO is Killing Time www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM9u1DsSj04 its not Quake or Duke 3D , but it does show a decent Doom port could have been done. so in the 3DO's case it was also a pretty poor port, from what I know, the 3DO also has its limitations, so that doesn't help it either.

what are the 3DO's limitations? i know too little about it :P

Wish I owned one though

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

In terms of feeling he least Doomish overall, I'd say Doom on the 32X. In all fairness I haven't played it, but the sound quality really distracts from enjoyability from what I've seen.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]why does the 3do run so poorly though? I mean, we can chalk up the saturn version to poor porting. But what about the 3do? surely it could do better, right?rilpas

Wish I owned one though

in comparison to what? the PS1 and the Saturn? mainly a slower CPU , slower RAM , slower bandwith , slower renderer (especially against the PS1) thats not to say the 3DO was bad, it was very capable at the time
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] well ,yes, in fact, one of the games I own for the 3DO is Killing Time www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM9u1DsSj04 its not Quake or Duke 3D , but it does show a decent Doom port could have been done. so in the 3DO's case it was also a pretty poor port, from what I know, the 3DO also has its limitations, so that doesn't help it either.Darkman2007

Wish I owned one though

in comparison to what? the PS1 and the Saturn? mainly a slower CPU , slower RAM , slower bandwith , slower renderer (especially against the PS1) thats not to say the 3DO was bad, it was very capable at the time

I see. But I guess it probably couldn't run anything that looked better then Doom or the Need for speed?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]what are the 3DO's limitations? i know too little about it :P

Wish I owned one though

rilpas

I see. But I guess it probably couldn't run anything that looked better then Doom or the Need for speed?

well , there were some impressive games that came out very late in the life of the 3DO , like Stat Fighter and Foes of Ali www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNEHw1zC_TY www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRciEW4HCI at the same time, Im not sure how much further you could push it. the 3DO does have an interesting feature called interpolation , where the 320X240 image would get upscaled to 640X480 , which made the games look a bit blurry, but also help hide the aliasing in the game (although Im not sure how many games on the 3DO are native 640X480)
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] in comparison to what? the PS1 and the Saturn? mainly a slower CPU , slower RAM , slower bandwith , slower renderer (especially against the PS1) thats not to say the 3DO was bad, it was very capable at the timeDarkman2007

well , there were some impressive games that came out very late in the life of the 3DO , like Stat Fighter and Foes of Ali www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNEHw1zC_TY www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRciEW4HCI at the same time, Im not sure how much further you could push it. the 3DO does have an interesting feature called interpolation , where the 320X240 image would get upscaled to 640X480 , which made the games look a bit blurry, but also help hide the aliasing in the game (although Im not sure how many games on the 3DO are native 640X480)

Ah starfighter, I remember it was ported to the PS1 and saturn, but it ended up looking worse then the 3DO version

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

Ah starfighter, I remember it was ported to the PS1 and saturn, but it ended up looking worse then the 3DO version

which is very odd, because if you see the other 3DO to PS1/Saturn ports, they are usually just as good if not better (if I remember correctly, NFS was actually faster than the 3DO original)
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] well , there were some impressive games that came out very late in the life of the 3DO , like Stat Fighter and Foes of Ali www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNEHw1zC_TY www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLRciEW4HCI at the same time, Im not sure how much further you could push it. the 3DO does have an interesting feature called interpolation , where the 320X240 image would get upscaled to 640X480 , which made the games look a bit blurry, but also help hide the aliasing in the game (although Im not sure how many games on the 3DO are native 640X480)Darkman2007

which is very odd, because if you see the other 3DO to PS1/Saturn ports, they are usually just as good if not better (if I remember correctly, NFS was actually faster than the 3DO original)

I remember reading around the 3DO forums that space hulk was actually better on the 3DO, not sure if it's true though :P

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkman2007

rilpas

I remember reading around the 3DO forums that space hulk was actually better on the 3DO, not sure if it's true though :P

that may or may not be true, ports sometimes turn out badly, even if a system is better. a similar thing happend with Lucienne's Quest, it was better on the 3DO , while the Saturn version suffered a bit visually though I do have Space Hulk on the 3DO and I can't stand it :P,
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] which is very odd, because if you see the other 3DO to PS1/Saturn ports, they are usually just as good if not better (if I remember correctly, NFS was actually faster than the 3DO original)Darkman2007

that may or may not be true, ports sometimes turn out badly, even if a system is better. a similar thing happend with Lucienne's Quest, it was better on the 3DO , while the Saturn version suffered a bit visually though I do have Space Hulk on the 3DO and I can't stand it :P,

I was thinking of getting it for the saturn

what's wrong with it?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]I remember reading around the 3DO forums that space hulk was actually better on the 3DO, not sure if it's true though :P

rilpas

what's wrong with it?

its an FPS in most ways, but kinda slow and somewhat boring. its not Doom if thats what youre expecting.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

rilpas

I just recently picked up Star Fighter on PS1 from Goodwill for $4. Yeah, it looks Terrible with a capital "T". Yet, it's still pretty fun in short bursts to just blow the hell out everything (literally).

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] that may or may not be true, ports sometimes turn out badly, even if a system is better. a similar thing happend with Lucienne's Quest, it was better on the 3DO , while the Saturn version suffered a bit visually though I do have Space Hulk on the 3DO and I can't stand it :P,Darkman2007

what's wrong with it?

its an FPS in most ways, but kinda slow and somewhat boring. its not Doom if thats what youre expecting.

Nah, I've been told it's a pretty unique game. I was also told it's a love it or hate it game

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkman2007

what's wrong with it?

rilpas

Nah, I've been told it's a pretty unique game. I was also told it's a love it or hate it game

yeah , and Im in the hate it camp :P the 3DO has its good games, but Space Hulk is not one of them imo
J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#22 J-Man2244
Member since 2012 • 85 Posts
I haven't played all of them, though the worst seems to be the one on SNES. Of course, Doom never should've been ported to the machine in the first place, but I found this version nearly unplayable. It's difficult to see things that are ten feet in front of you, the controls are sluggish, and everything looks incredibly pixelated.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Snes by far. SNES has the best worst version of Doom.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
All of them why would you play doom on a console?
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#25 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]All of them why would you play doom on a console?

Maybe to see how it pans out on some consoles?
J-Man2244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26 J-Man2244
Member since 2012 • 85 Posts
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]All of them why would you play doom on a console?

The XBLA port is perfect IMO, and the version included with the limited edition of Doom 3 for Xbox also works really well. I'd much rather play Doom in one of these ways than messing around with DOSbox.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rilpas
[QUOTE="J-Man2244"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]All of them why would you play doom on a console?

The XBLA port is perfect IMO, and the version included with the limited edition of Doom 3 for Xbox also works really well. I'd much rather play Doom in one of these ways than messing around with DOSbox.

actually Doom doesn't require changing any of dosbox' settings.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Technically, the ZX Spectrum port would be the worst:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v7cFGneuaw

But I think it looks really well, considering the limitations of the machine it's running on.

Exceed20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Exceed20XX
Member since 2011 • 817 Posts

I think the worst version I've played was probably the Saturn one (which I didn't expect at the time). The framerate issues were just strange considering that Doom ran competently on the PS1. I also found it a bit hilarious that Duke 3D and Quake worked better on the Saturn than Doom. It was fun to have a higher rate of fire on the shotgun though.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]All of them why would you play doom on a console?J-Man2244

You don't need dosbox

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Doomsday

opengl etc

LookAnDrolL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 LookAnDrolL
Member since 2008 • 2483 Posts
Doom 3 BFG: Travesty edition