deactivated-64a053ed12419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-64a053ed12419
Member since 2023 • 161 Posts

I have been in two minds about going back to doing BJJ for months.

From one side of things, I do want to continue being a martial artists, and I feel something is missing in me by not doing martial arts.

But after a year of doing it, it gave me a lot of injuries, and I am not sure how practical the martial arts for self defense.

What do you think?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts

Yeah, I tried BJJ for one week and pulled a rib. No more BJJ.

I would have stayed with Muay Thai Kickboxing, but I didn't keep up with the nutrition side of things.

Now, I'm a fat-ass. Though I did do some pushups the other day.

I guess the main problem is the money. I have money tied into other things and can't afford lessons.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58504 Posts

I think basic self-defense classes should be taught to kids. Not only is it a good skill to know, but it teaches discipline and keeps them active. It also doesn't require a lot of specialized facilities or equipment (just a gym and some mats, maybe sparring gear).

If I was going to do one myself, I'd probably learn judo. I heard it's one of the best for general self-defense in terms of taking opponents out quickly, and I like the concept of grappling and using your weight and your opponents weight against them.

Plus, just look at this:

Avatar image for deactivated-64a053ed12419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-64a053ed12419

@DEVILinIRON said:

Yeah, I tried BJJ for one week and pulled a rib. No more BJJ.

I would have stayed with Muay Thai Kickboxing, but I didn't keep up with the nutrition side of things.

Now, I'm a fat-ass. Though I did do some pushups the other day.

I guess the main problem is the money. I have money tied into other things and can't afford lessons.

That is a hilarious story. I have 2 years of experience in Muay thai, 1 year in Savate and 1 year in grappling.

4 years is enough for self defense. Now, my attention shifted towards training at home (such as bodyweight, kettlebelt, bands and dumbell training).

@mrbojangles25 said:

I think basic self-defense classes should be taught to kids. Not only is it a good skill to know, but it teaches discipline and keeps them active. It also doesn't require a lot of specialized facilities or equipment (just a gym and some mats, maybe sparring gear).

If I was going to do one myself, I'd probably learn judo. I heard it's one of the best for general self-defense in terms of taking opponents out quickly, and I like the concept of grappling and using your weight and your opponents weight against them.

Plus, just look at this:

Bjj is superior to Judo when it comes to self defense or just fighting in general. I wish I did MA when I was a kid, because then I lacked a lot of discipline. I compensating so much and made so many sacrifices because of my lack of discipline at my 20s and 30s.

Nevermind, though, I am okay now, and thats what is important.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

Tried karate as a kid and enjoyed it but never got fully into it. It can only be a positive for me theres zero negatives from learning a martial art.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59324 Posts

A gun will defeat martial arts.

Just have to point and basically have the god finger.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-64a053ed12419

@uninspiredcup: In my country, you cant buy a gun. Whats your next solution?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59324 Posts

@plasticpie said:

@uninspiredcup: In my country, you cant buy a gun. Whats your next solution?

A knife or an illegal 3d printed gun.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38691 Posts

eh. my experience wrong or right has always been it was an activity for people that wanted to act like they're getting fit but never actually getting fit.

whenever i see pictures of people ( adults at least ) in a martial arts class, they're always overweight middle aged dudes that look like they're a 5 second run up a flight of stairs away from a heart attack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-64a053ed12419

@uninspiredcup: I actually stabbed with a knife and was stabbed by it, it isnt a solution.

@comp_atkins said:

eh. my experience wrong or right has always been it was an activity for people that wanted to act like they're getting fit but never actually getting fit.

whenever i see pictures of people ( adults at least ) in a martial arts class, they're always overweight middle aged dudes that look like they're a 5 second run up a flight of stairs away from a heart attack

Thats because they were taken at American Dojos.

Just joking ;)

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8383 Posts

I got friends that do ju jitsu. They seems to like it.

Personally I prefer Boxing, it's fun. I'm not into getting kicked or wrestling and the gloves are padded just enough to drag out a good spar. I got decent reach and I like moving around on my feet.

Fun to watch too. most people today tend to like UFC more but I still like boxing. I dunno something special about it.