mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23055 Posts

President Biden announces that his admin will meet his goal of administering 100 million vaccine doses in 100 days tomorrow, 58 days after taking office.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/18/biden-100-million-covid-vaccinations-476956

This is really good news. They're opening up vaccine qualification restrictions in my state in a couple weeks, so progress is being made. It's now a race to see if we can vaccinate enough people to start the summer swim team season on time. :-)

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1361 Posts

Canada is so far behind, it’s pathetic. Glad to see Biden keeping his word on this though, he’s already done more good than Trump did.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mattbbpl

@ratchetclank92: I've heard that the EU rollout has been poor, but I hadn't heard that Canada's was. What issues are they having?

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

That's good news. I thought my state was ahead of the game because of its older population, but it's about average.

Yeah, Canada is really behind. Average vaccination rate seems to be less than a third of ours

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7059 Posts

@ratchetclank92 said:

Canada is so far behind, it’s pathetic. Glad to see Biden keeping his word on this though, he’s already done more good than Trump did.

Considering the Vaccine was already finished by the time he got into office he didn't have to do much.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

He should be thanking Trump then for creating the program to make available the vaccine he and others said we wouldn't have for years. Biden trying to take credit just shows what a typical useless politician he's always been.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

@eoten: Trump deserves no credit instead of being a leader all he was a crybaby that just seeks attention just like his followers

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@sheep99 said:

@eoten: Trump deserves no credit instead of being a leader all he was a crybaby that just seeks attention just like his followers

So he didn't sign his name to operation lightspeed which fast tracked the vaccine process, beating out the rest of a world for a vaccine the DNC and the media was telling us would take years? My, what a fantasy world you live in.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Great on Biden's part. Best thing for our country is to get everyone vaccinated so that we can return to some normalcy, including the economy.

L O L 'Please thank Trump' L O L

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

@eoten said:
@sheep99 said:

So he didn't sign his name to operation lightspeed which fast tracked the vaccine process, beating out the rest of a world for a vaccine the DNC and the media was telling us would take years? My, what a fantasy world you live in.

Pfizer vaccine was not part of Operation Warp speed, so he should get credit for that?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58504 Posts

@eoten said:

He should be thanking Trump then for creating the program to make available the vaccine he and others said we wouldn't have for years. Biden trying to take credit just shows what a typical useless politician he's always been.

Dude....c'mon. Get real. Biden should be thanking a lot of people.

The vaccine was a worldwide effort. A lot of people deserve credit, I'd put Trump on the bottom of the list.

But! He is still on the list. Why? Operation Warp Speed; he basically placed orders for a large amount of vaccine, so credit where credit is due.

With that said, he announced Operation Warp Speed and then did jack shit, we would have been waiting around for months if not years had the plans remained unchanged by Biden.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

@eoten: my what world do you live in if you think that US was the only country investing in vaccines which is by the way common sense to do so.Can you provide me with some links where the media was saying that it would be impossible and takes years to do so. I don’t give the Crybaby Trump any credit because the way he acted like a cry baby. He himself took the vaccine in secret so the public would not know instead of encouraging people to take the vaccine. Because of the way he acted his deplorable followers refused to take the vaccine.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Good job Biden. He did a lot of work to get to this point, but yes Trump is also to thank (to a degree).

Biden Got the Vaccine Rollout Humming, With Trump’s Help - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Who deserves credit? Biden leans into pandemic politics (apnews.com)

@eoten said:

Biden trying to take credit just shows what a typical useless politician he's always been.

@silentchief said:
@ratchetclank92 said:

Considering the Vaccine was already finished by the time he got into office he didn't have to do much.

The above facts disagree with you both. Try being less hyper-partisan and look at the data.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@eoten said:

Dude....c'mon. Get real. Biden should be thanking a lot of people.

The vaccine was a worldwide effort. A lot of people deserve credit, I'd put Trump on the bottom of the list.

But! He is still on the list. Why? Operation Warp Speed; he basically placed orders for a large amount of vaccine, so credit where credit is due.

With that said, he announced Operation Warp Speed and then did jack shit, we would have been waiting around for months if not years had the plans remained unchanged by Biden.

Lets keep in mind the whole world wants to end this pandemic nightmare we are all in. We need to do our parts on social distancing and get the vaccine out to the rest of the world. Former President Trump hardy help in the matter and was only focusing trying to win the election over helping the situation. With that said, top of the line science, doctors, and even our own citizens help making the vaccine happen and President Biden has keeping his word. Covid-19 has got to go by the end of the year...if we're lucky.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36047 Posts

I have my hangups with Biden, but he's definitely handling the vaccine rollout very well.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mattbbpl

@Serraph105: I'd have thought that his actions to this point would have pleasantly surprised you. Not a fan to this point?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts

Good news but my state isn't as fast as some others.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6965 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@ratchetclank92: It's interesting that Canada was preventing travel from the US but now caution may have to be applied the other way around. I wonder why they are having problems, did they not put in vaccine orders quickly enough or did they not have as much priority in orders being filled? With their population if they went as fast as us they'd be done by now

We have been sucking wind, but we are doing much better now and seem on track for all adults to receive at least a first shot by end of June.

One of the core issues for us is that we don't have domestic manufacturing for producing the vaccines. The countries with domestic production, like the US, are first in line for getting the actual physical supply.

Second, we were hit hard by the interruptions from the the two main suppliers Pfizer and Moderna when they reduced shipments for a month to retool and expand their production lines. Because of the first point above, we were deprioritized and very little actual vaccine made it here for most of a month.

Things are going much better the past couple of weeks and we are expecting lots of doses weekly now.

Thanks for lending us 1.5 million doses today too. Good call by Biden to loan to both us and Mexico and not letting them potentially go to waste.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattbbpl

@SUD123456: I'm glad to hear that you guys are back on track!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44682 Posts

This rollout is a goddamn mess where I live. The state keeps updating the eligibility guidelines but most of the businesses administrating it are national and take forever to update their screening processes. The vaccine finder sites for helping people see where it's available aren't accurate either as they keep saying places have availability they don't have. The businesses too that are local won't allow for walk ins or telephone scheduling and defer to online portals that are broken. Some businesses defer screening eligibility to the local county DOH which hasn't updated its eligibility portal for the new guidelines so I get denied despite eligibility phase changes within the state. People of color are turning their noses up at the J&J vaccine in fears its a government eugenics experiment and of the 10,000 doses of it they got this month there are still 8,600 left and I can't get a goddamn appointment or shot. Fucking sucks.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vl4d_l3nin

@zaryia: Biden promised we were going to have 100 mass vaccination sites operational by the end of February. There was seven. Facts!

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zaryia

@vl4d_l3nin said:

@zaryia: Biden promised we were going to have 100 mass vaccination sites operational by the end of February. There was seven. Facts!

Biden Meets 100 Million Vaccinations Goal Weeks Ahead of Schedule

Joe Biden says US will hit 100m vaccines 'weeks ahead of schedule' – video | US news | The Guardian

Heh.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zaryia
@Serraph105 said:

I have my hangups with Biden, but he's definitely handling the vaccine rollout very well.

Anyone doubting this is denying reality.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Thanks to Trump for getting this rolling, thanks Biden for not screwing it up like he's done to everything else I guess.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zaryia

@vfighter said:

Thanks to Trump for getting this rolling, thanks Biden for not screwing it up like he's done to everything else I guess.

Do you have citation for these highly contrarian claim?

Going by facts, your claim is false by a large margin. He did more than just "not screw it up".

Facts First:

"Still, corporate, state and federal officials agree that Mr. Biden’s White House has been more active than his predecessor’s in trying to build up the nation’s vaccine stock."

The Biden administration has taken two major steps that helped hasten vaccine production in the near term. Even before Mr. Biden was inaugurated, his aides determined that by invoking the Korean War-era Defense Production Act, the federal government could help Pfizer obtain the heavy machinery it needed to expand its plant in Kalamazoo, Mich. The Trump administration had repeatedly invoked that law, but its order for Pfizer only covered single-use supplies like plastic liners, not durable factory equipment.

Crucially, Mr. Biden’s top aides drove another vaccine manufacturer, Johnson & Johnson, to force a key subcontractor into round-the-clock operations so its vaccine could be bottled faster. That company had fallen behind on the production targets laid out in its federal contract. Only after Jeffrey D. Zients, the White House’s chief pandemic adviser, and Dr. David Kessler, who oversees the vaccine effort, demanded the company commit more resources did it publicly pledge to meet a crucial deadline in May.

At the White House on Wednesday afternoon, Mr. Biden announced that he will have secured an additional 100 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson single-shot vaccine by the end of this year, with the goal of having enough on hand to vaccinate children and, if necessary, administer booster doses or reformulate the vaccine to combat emerging variants of the virus.

The new administration’s relationship with Pfizer is markedly better. Mr. Trump and his aides had accused the company of slow-walking its vaccine development to hurt Mr. Trump’s re-election bid. The company announced its vaccine was robustly effective on Nov. 9, nearly a week after Election Day, then filed its application for emergency use authorization on Nov. 20.

Pfizer officials privately suggested that the Trump administration not only was wrongfully bad-mouthing the company but also had refused for months to invoke the Defense Production Act to order suppliers to prioritize Pfizer’s needs, as it did for the other vaccine developers under federal contract.

• The U.S. COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout Timeline Is Getting Faster | Time
  • Biden Announces Deal For 200 Million More COVID-19 Vaccines : NPR
  • Joe Biden’s Covid-19 Vaccine Plan: How He Intends to Speed Up Distribution - WSJ
  • Biden Got the Vaccine Rollout Humming, With Trump’s Help - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
  • Who deserves credit? Biden leans into pandemic politics (apnews.com)

Also he has objectively not screwed everything up, the two most important issues are big wins for him at the moment. The economy is recovering and the Covid bill(75% approval) passed. Not sure what you are referring to by everything, as that's objectively false. Can you prove this rather bewildering claim? It's like we're living in alternate universes or someone is giving you false information.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vl4d_l3nin

@zaryia said:
@vfighter said:

Going by facts, your claim is false by a large margin.

Facts First:

The Biden administration has taken two major steps that helped hasten vaccine production in the near term. Even before Mr. Biden was inaugurated, his aides determined that by invoking the Korean War-era Defense Production Act, the federal government could help Pfizer obtain the heavy machinery it needed to expand its plant in Kalamazoo, Mich. The Trump administration had repeatedly invoked that law, but its order for Pfizer only covered single-use supplies like plastic liners, not durable factory equipment.

Crucially, Mr. Biden’s top aides drove another vaccine manufacturer, Johnson & Johnson, to force a key subcontractor into round-the-clock operations so its vaccine could be bottled faster. That company had fallen behind on the production targets laid out in its federal contract. Only after Jeffrey D. Zients, the White House’s chief pandemic adviser, and Dr. David Kessler, who oversees the vaccine effort, demanded the company commit more resources did it publicly pledge to meet a crucial deadline in May.

• Joe Biden’s Covid-19 Vaccine Plan: How He Intends to Speed Up Distribution - WSJ
  • Biden Got the Vaccine Rollout Humming, With Trump’s Help - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Also he has objectively not screwed everything up, the two most important issues are big wins for him at the moment. The economy is recovering and the Covid bill(75% approval) passed. Not sure what you are referring to by everything, as that's objectively false. Can you prove this rather bewildering claim? It's like we're living in alternate universes or someone is giving you false information.

Do you read the posts you quote?

First you quoted me with something completely irrelevant to what I posted, now vfighter says Biden didn't screw up, and you post a bunch of links about how well of a job Biden is doing. How is his claim "bewildering" and "highly contrarian" considering he seems to agree with you?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zaryia

Continued:

Mr. Biden’s aides started talking to Pfizer executives about what the company needed to make more doses even before Inauguration Day. When Mr. Biden traveled to Michigan on Feb. 19 to visit Pfizer’s plant, Dr. Albert Bourla, the company’s chief executive, effusively praised the new administration as “a great ally,” saying officials had helped the company secure critical materials and equipment.

The Biden team pushed Johnson & Johnson to order GRAM to move from normal business hours to 24/7 operations, one senior administration official said. Another federal official said Johnson & Johnson was largely on track but did “scale up a bit faster” under pressure.

Officials also brokered an unusual partnership between Johnson & Johnson and a longtime competitor, Merck & Co. The Trump administration repeatedly explored using Merck’s plants to bolster vaccine production but never reached an agreement.

Mr. Zients, the pandemic adviser, said on Sunday that the new alliance had helped the Biden administration set its new May goal. In fact, though, Merck is likely to bottle only a few million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine by then, according to people familiar with its operation. The main benefit of the partnership will come later in the year, when Merck will have retooled a huge plant with the capacity to produce as many as 100 million doses of vaccine a month, they said.

A lot of false statements in this thread suggesting either Biden gets no credit or that Biden merely pushed Trump's rollout along, trying to clear it up.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zaryia

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@zaryia said:
@vfighter said:

Going by facts, your claim is false by a large margin.

Facts First:

Do you read the posts you quote?

First you quoted me with something completely irrelevant to what I posted, now vfighter says Biden didn't screw up, and post a bunch of links about how well of a job Biden is doing. How is his claim "bewildering" and "highly contrarian" considering he seems to agree with you?

Perhaps I mis-read it (doubt), but his post made it seem like all Biden did was merely not screw up after Trump got it rolling. As you know this is false, if that is what he meant. Biden actively increased rollout, not just made sure Trump's rollout didn't screw up. In fact many people give Biden the brunt of credit. Sorry if I read it wrong but it seemed that way with his next statement and extreme right posting history. Then he lied and said Biden screwed everything else up, which is false as you know.

"Still, corporate, state and federal officials agree that Mr. Biden’s White House has been more active than his predecessor’s in trying to build up the nation’s vaccine stock."

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zaryia
@vl4d_l3nin said:

First you quoted me with something completely irrelevant to what I posted,

You posted a red-herring to my statements. I put it back on track.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic

@vfighter said:

trump had NO vaccination plan. He gets no thanks. All he did was allow the virus to spread. That doesn't deserve thanks.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zaryia

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vfighter said:

trump had NO vaccination plan. He gets no thanks. All he did was allow the virus to spread. That doesn't deserve thanks.

I actually think he gets little thanks, but mostly the credit goes to Biden for these specific numbers.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 vl4d_l3nin

@zaryia: Oh, I see. He didn't praise Biden enough, so he gets the mass article treatment

FYI, the economy had been recovering months before Biden took office, but considering you never gave Trump credit for the economy when he was president, can't say I'm surprised.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zaryia

@vl4d_l3nin said:

@zaryia: Oh, I see. He didn't praise Biden enough, so he gets the mass article treatment

Well lying and saying Biden screwed everything up is pretty dumb when things are going well in the 2 biggest topics for most Americans. He shouldn't have said that.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@ratchetclank92: It's interesting that Canada was preventing travel from the US but now caution may have to be applied the other way around. I wonder why they are having problems, did they not put in vaccine orders quickly enough or did they not have as much priority in orders being filled? With their population if they went as fast as us they'd be done by now

It's because we have no means of producing them ourselves, and our bonehead PM put too many eggs in the "lets work with China on this" basket.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 appariti0n

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vfighter said:

See that just seems blatantly false. You can argue that he screwed up lots of things for sure, but fast tracking the vaccine development doesn't seem to be one of them:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/operation-warp-speed-trump-pfizer-moderna-vaccine-1.5806820

From the article:

"No doubt, Operation Warp Speed is a huge success," said Tinglong Dai, associate professor of Operations Management and Business Analytics at Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School in Baltimore.

"You can like or hate the Trump administration, but no doubt, it's a huge success — unprecedented success."

Jesse Goodman, the former chief scientist of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, agreed that the U.S. government deserves credit for the high priority placed on Operation Warp Speed.

"This is a bright spot in the pandemic response. I mean, the rest of it has been dismal," said Goodman, who is also director of Georgetown University's Center on Medical Product Access, Safety and Stewardship.

Anthony Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, also lauded Operation Warp Speed for being a "success — certainly in the arena of vaccines, it's been a success" in his remarks at a recent virtual summit organized by the medical news site Stat.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic

@appariti0n: I'd give that opinion more value if the early vaccines were created by Americans.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@vfighter said:

That is because you are 100% blinded by liberal bulls$%t. ROFLAMO!

Both Trump and Biden have done a good job with this.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

@Xabiss said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@vfighter said:

That is because you are 100% blinded by liberal bulls$%t. ROFLAMO!

Both Trump and Biden have done a good job with this.

Opinion pieces aren't facts.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: Your opinion isnt fact either, it's just wrong like usual.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic

@vfighter said:

@LJS9502_basic: Your opinion isnt fact either, it's just wrong like usual.

Calling out his dishonesty by providing an opinion as factual is stating the obvious, not stating an opinion.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 appariti0n

@LJS9502_basic said:

@appariti0n: I'd give that opinion more value if the early vaccines were created by Americans.

But you give it some value?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

Yeah I'm surprised it was so easy to get a vaccine in my state, given how typically backwards we are on most other things.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8383 Posts

Not giving credit to Biden when the plan to distribute the vaccine and the creation of the vaccine was finished before he was in office... But this is good news either way.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

EU rollout has been a disaster entirely