Best Halo Campaign (singleplayer)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Poll Best Halo Campaign (singleplayer) (54 votes)

Halo 1 (Combat Evolved) 31%
Halo 2 13%
Halo 3 22%
Halo 3 ODST 7%
Halo 4 0%
Halo 5: Guardians 0%
Halo: Infinite 11%
Other 15%

Howdy folks, looking for a nice, linear shooter to play (kind of tired of my bread-and-butter sandbox building games, and don't feel like diving into an open-world game again) because I don't really want to think, I just want to shoot shit.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first Halo back when it came out but sort of missed many of the others throughout the years.

I was hoping to get some recommendations.

Also I don't think I'd mind playing them out of order, especially if some of the older games are dated in terms of their gameplay, but would it be a total dealbreaker do you think to not play them in order?

Anyway, I heard the ODST is pretty good, despite not having you play as Master Chief, is that accurate?

I'm also a big fan of Cortana, I think she is a neat character, so any Cortana-heavy games get bonus points.

Thanks in advance. I'll be playing via Game Pass on PC if that matters. Not sure if all the games are available.

• 
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Play in order until Infinite. 3 is probably the best, with 1 and 2 being incredible as well. ODST took a different turn and is much slower, but overall great. 4 was decent and 5 really kinda sucked.

Basically, just buy the MCC.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts

The original trilogy is good.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2680 Posts

Halo 3

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25062 Posts

Original is only good.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44545 Posts

Picked 3 but 1 and 2 were excellent as well.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8383 Posts

2 had best sp cus you get to play as arbiter

2 also has the best MP

Halo2 was just a banger all around

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

I still have a soft spot for Combat Evolved, but 3 is probably the best overall.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

I went with Halo Reach as it was the true *Fall of Reach* that set the course of the Human/Covenant War. Plus, I do like the Spartan team...especially Noble 6 of course.

Halo 3 is without a doubt the best campaign which is funny because it was kinda of supposed to be Bungie's final Halo game which it was for the MC/Cortana storyline until it went to 343.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2604 Posts

Haven't played all, but back in the day I thought the one in Halo 3 was really impressive, so i pick that.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44683 Posts

All Halo campaigns are best played on Legendary co-op. I'd say Halo 2 though, for solo. Other Halo games allow for downed co-op partners to respawn, Halo 2 not the case, so, best to avoid frustration of that and play solo. Plus, I really liked the story and jumping between Master Chief and Arbiter.

Also a big fan of ODST, despite many hating on it for not being Master Chief centric. Also better with friends but I have a lot of fun on this solo. Navigating the open world sections while evading patrols adds challenge to the open exploration. Not being a Spartan adds challenge as well. Maybe my favorite of them to be played solo.

Mechanically, Halo 5 is the best, it overhauled controls better than any of the others and I loved its Spartan abilities better than the ones offered in Halo Infinite. It also does the level design so much better and has better world variety over Infinite. Plus Warzone Firefight PvE is still one of my favorite Halo online modes. The online modes offers tons of exciting vehicle and weapon varieties that no other game comes close to matching. Tons of Spartan customization options. Perhaps the most addictive entry in the entire series for me.

Avatar image for clockworkbanana
ClockWorkBanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ClockWorkBanana
Member since 2022 • 270 Posts

CE > Reach > 2 > 3 > ODST. Haven't touched the rest.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17694 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Original is only good.

Better than RE4 Remake, even!

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

I voted Halo Infinite. Amazing campaign. I tried Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach but these were all clunky and outdated.

If only Microsoft could be more like Sony and remake Halo CE in 2025, with the controls, feels, animation, mechanics graphics and production of Halo Infinite (or better).

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58508 Posts

Thanks for the replies all. Sounds like I should just start at the beginning, or maybe Halo 2 and go from there (not sure if I want to go all the way back to early 2000 gameplay, a bit dated).

@Mozelleple112 said:

I voted Halo Infinite. Amazing campaign. I tried Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo Reach but these were all clunky and outdated.

If only Microsoft could be more like Sony and remake Halo CE in 2025, with the controls, feels, animation, mechanics graphics and production of Halo Infinite (or better).

Yeah it'd be great to see that done. But not by 343; give it to a different team. Maybe Asobo.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13105 Posts

Infinite for me as well.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13105 Posts

Avoid ODST. It’s a dumpster fire 🔥

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrbojangles25

@kvallyx said:

Infinite for me as well.

Yeah I think I'm going to finish Infinite (started it, liked it, just not enough to pull me away from whatever I was playing at the time haha).

If the itch still needs scratching I might go back and play through Halo 2.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

HALO: Reach. Halo 3 was close but after replaying again, it really leaned heavily on “ok so here’s 35 brutes you have to fight.”Reach had a bit more diversity in its set pieces.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mozelleple112

@mrbojangles25: Why not 343? They did great with Infinite

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mrbojangles25

@Mozelleple112 said:

@mrbojangles25: Why not 343? They did great with Infinite

I think 343 is fine, my feelings are that remasters are sort of like musicians covering songs; you don't cover your own song. Someone else should cover your song. They should put their own spin on it, make it their own while paying homage to the original.

Imagine Halo done by, I don't know...Arkane? They put an "immersive sim" spin on it, give it their characteristic art direction.

Not saying they should or even that it would be a good idea, it's just something I like to see. Nothing wrong with a frame-for-frame remake either, worked well for System Shock. But the creative liberty approach worked well for Black Mesa, too.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mozelleple112

@mrbojangles25:

Weeeeelll...

Capcom does their own remakes with RE2, RE3 and RE4 and they changed slightly but you could argue they were better than the originals ever were.

On the other hand, ND 'remade' TLOU1 and changed nothing, when they should have add dodge/prone mechanics from TLOU2 and redesigned levels/enemy encounters (TLDR; they didn't remake it enough)

Square is doing their own FF7 remakes and seem to be changing a lot, and they turn out really good as well.

Then you have Bluepoint consistently making epic remakes.

So honestly I don't know what to think.

I don't know if I would want FromSoft or Bluepoint to remake Bloodborne.

I think my examples show that both the devs themselves and third party deves are capable of remaking games.

I am completely anxious as to how good the Snake Eater remake will be without Kojima. It could really suck, or it could be GOTY 2024 contender.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mozelleple112

@mrbojangles25: But wait a minute, hang on...

343 didn't make the original Halo games. Halo 1-3, Halo Reach were all made by Bungie.

So 343 could easily remake Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo Reach and have their own spin on them as you say.

I don't think they need their own spin, but the certainly need 2024 graphics and FP-mechanics of a modern shooter as they feel outdated and clunky to play in 2024.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2092 Posts

Halo 1-3 have very entertaining campaigns, in the main set of games 3 is probably the best imo, overall though Reach is probably the best standalone campaign and holds up surprisingly well given its' age.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

For its time, no other Halo titles beat Halo CE. Its not even close.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mrbojangles25

@Mozelleple112 said:

@mrbojangles25: But wait a minute, hang on...

343 didn't make the original Halo games. Halo 1-3, Halo Reach were all made by Bungie.

So 343 could easily remake Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo Reach and have their own spin on them as you say.

I don't think they need their own spin, but the certainly need 2024 graphics and FP-mechanics of a modern shooter as they feel outdated and clunky to play in 2024.

Aha! Touche, good sir. I stand corrected.

I would love to see them take a stab at the original Halo trilogy (and Reach) in that case.

Frankly I'd love to see something a bit more "mil-sim" done with Halo, if they are rebooting it. I know, I know...that'd alienate the core fanbase, but I think something mildly (emphasis on mild; I don't think we need ArmA or Tarkov levels of realism) more grounded in reality would be fun.

I'm talking inventory management, iron sights, realistic damage models, squad-based tactics (either with AI or co-op), and large maps would be dope. Mil-sim sci-fi

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16042 Posts

Halo Reach is my favourite. Halo Infinite is my least favourite.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Aha! Touche, good sir. I stand corrected.

I would love to see them take a stab at the original Halo trilogy (and Reach) in that case.

Frankly I'd love to see something a bit more "mil-sim" done with Halo, if they are rebooting it. I know, I know...that'd alienate the core fanbase, but I think something mildly (emphasis on mild; I don't think we need ArmA or Tarkov levels of realism) more grounded in reality would be fun.

I'm talking inventory management, iron sights, realistic damage models, squad-based tactics (either with AI or co-op), and large maps would be dope. Mil-sim sci-fi

Halo is arcadey. Taking a sim approach would dramatically change the type of game it is.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1283 Posts

I think it's Halo 2, it was the most interesting because the story got me, and for the time the set pieces still felt fresh and impactful. Halo 3 had the cool mission where you go inside a flood ship, but apart from that it felt like a retread of familiar things while trying tl +1 it, but overall it couldn't. Maybe as a result of Xbox having more powerful hardware than the other consoles, the leap didn't seem that big when going to Halo 3.

@davillain: I was wondering why Reach wasn't on here.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

hmm, its tough, but halo and halo 2 are dated. Halo 3 is great. For me, I have to give it to halo reach..I mean even though its almost 15 years old now, the game is still beautiful and holds up. The story line is also fantastic. Halo Infinite is a fantastic game too, but I feel like its missing the emotion halo reach had. I didn't like halo 4 that much, and halo 5 was ugh...well the mechanics for the game was great.

Though I guess it makes sense why halo reach felt so amazing, because this was bungies final game before they left MS for good, and they made sure they went out with a bang, without shaming the halo series whatsoever.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8383 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@kvallyx said:

Infinite for me as well.

Yeah I think I'm going to finish Infinite (started it, liked it, just not enough to pull me away from whatever I was playing at the time haha).

If the itch still needs scratching I might go back and play through Halo 2.

Halo 2 rules

And the MP was my favorite, reach had one of my least favorite MP. Made it class based trying to chase COD. Halo 2 defined Halos MP

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts
@Mozelleple112 said:

It was fun entering campaign missions with power weapons and even in some cases vehicles that you called from your FOB and obliterating every enemy with them. Even using the hidden tank gun was fun.I did hate fighting that infamous brute chieftan on a certain boss though.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6718 Posts

Only ever finished the first Halo campaign, can't remember a single thing about it really.

Played the second game for a couple of hours and never went back to it nor played any other game in the series.

I know this is sacrilegious to say as a lem, but I find Halo boring.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

Personally I loved Halo: ODST story. I loved that you are a rookie trying to survive and find your teammates in the events between Halo 2 & 3. I also loved Reach I enjoyed it the most gameplay wise out of all Halo games and the story is very impactful if you played combat evolved. Both game you dont play as the Masterchief and honestly I think Halo story works better when you are not the superhero. Well you are a supersoldier but just not lucky enough to be the Masterchief.

Now that I think of it the ODST is kind of proto Helldivers lmao.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4585 Posts

Halo 3, Halo 1, Halo 2, Reach, Halo 4, ODST, Infinite, Halo 5

Something close to that in my opinion.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 956 Posts

Out of those I played, it was Reach for me. Never played 5 and Infinite

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 956 Posts

@last_lap: I dont think you're an Xbox fan. You're just a Forza fan

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

@kvallyx said:

Infinite for me as well.

Having completed recently, I agree! After that would be Halo 3.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6718 Posts

@vatususreturns: Nah I'm a lem, it's just that I'm a maverick lem, a free thinker.

I still prefer to play on MS consoles than Playstation (I own every PS except for 5) or Nintendo's current gen joke machine.

I like the UI, controllers etc better than what the other 2 offer.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 923 Posts

It's Reach, but there are good times to be had with 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach.

4 is fine I guess but nothing special.

5 is not worth your time.

Infinite I go back and forth on. Better than 4 and 5 at least.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@vatususreturns said:

@last_lap: I dont think you're an Xbox fan. You're just a Forza fan

For once, I agree.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Im not a big fan of the series personally. Halo 1 was pretty good for its time but the second half sucked when the Flud came, same for Halo 2 and 3. Halo Infinite wasnt too bad.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Halo Reach is the one to beat.

Here are the ones that I liked: Halo 1, Halo 2, Reach, Halo Infinite

Here are the ones I strongly disliked: Halo ODST.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34773 Posts

Have played 1, 2, 3, ODST, Reach and Infinite.

1 was good for its time, as far as very slow FPSs go. I wouldn't bother with the rest. Infinite was especially bad.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Halo Infinite is the SP campaign King. No other SP game in any genre even comes close. ;o

:P