Can someone please explain to me why Switch owners have to pay more for worse versions of a game?

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 956 Posts

Seriously, bought recently a Switch Lite (only because it was in promotion) to see what is all the fuss about Nintendo games. Right know I've only played Super Mario Odyssey, Travis Strikes Again: NMH (I'm a Suda51 fan) and Blashpemous. I bought mainly for Bayonetta 2 because I'm an HnS fan and I've been wanting to play it for decades now but since it'll probably never be multiplat I bit the bullet and finally bought a Switch.

Thing is, I cant find Bayonetta 2 for a reasonable price where I live, not even on ebay. So I went to the major retailers sites in my country to look for something else to buy and give use to the console. Jesus, all I can find are 10yo games sold almost at full retail price! Worse versions of said games being sold by THAT much. Why?! Because you can play them in the toilet? Is that enough for publishers to charge 3 times the same you can play on a much better console and/or PC?!!!

Buying this console only cemented the fact that going Nintendo is willingly wanting to be ripped off. I'm actually regretting buying this wasnt for Blasphemous that is actually a great game to play on a portable device and didnt cost as much...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Because they're silly sheep of course.

lol :P

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2525 Posts

Probably the miniaturisation tech needed to get all those big characters and what-have-you onto such a tiny device. Can't be a cheap feat.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

I haven't bought a Switch game full price yet and don't plan to.

Either get the Nintendo games on Black Friday, or get the other games when they do those eshop deals.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VatususReturns

@sancho_panzer said:

Probably the minituarisation tech needed to get all those big characters and what-have-you onto such a tiny device. Can't be a cheap feat.

If paying 3 times more than a better version is whats needed then I question if thats even worth it tbh

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

As a Switch owner, I bought it for 2 things:

1. I like the portability to play it anywhere I go, (not in the freaking bathroom mind you) its probably the best thing Nintendo has ever put out and I rarely play it on the dock.
  2. I bought it just to play Nintendo exclusives only. Do not buy a Switch if you aren't into Nintendo's exclusive, that's what the fuss is all about. To play their games and I rarely if ever use it to play 3rd-party when I can just play'em on my PC.

To sum it up, a number of publishers pushing the recent price increase are trying to use "the rising cost of development and the lack of price increase for a long time" as justification...while conveniently omitting the fact that they've been offsetting that with lootboxes and microtransactions in their releases for close to a decade. In what way do you think is the worst version? If its 3rd-party game, do not buy it on the Switch which everyone should know, but Nintendo exclusives are just that, so I never consider them worst versions. This is all on you if you want to play their games.

Edit: I ain't no Nintendo hardcore fan, and even I can say NSO can go **** itself out of my face! Nintendo is a bunch of greedy bastards!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

As someone who likes physical games, I see it as a good thing. I can get most of my money back when I decide to sell it lol.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 845 Posts

The demand is there for the games, and they keep selling well, so the price stays up. That's one of the reasons I stopped buying Nintendo consoles.

Their games are usually at full retail price. Instead, what you should do is wait for an EShop Sale, you might be able to get it cheap then.

To sum it up Nintendo knows people will pay the higher price, that's why games rarely go on sale. Look on youtube for more info on this.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

It’s cause Nintendo fans love to support the developers and pay full price. If you want games for super cheap, go play on PC. New games will be half priced after a couple months. Which is great for publishers, but sucks for devs.

Nintendo fans also have very good jobs and $60 is nothing to us. We ballin mate. Nintendo fans have higher IQ, is equal better paying jobs.

Stick to PC or GamePass mate. It’s not easy buying games off your parents allowance or your Walmart job.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

Because sheep are the actual real cows.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4389 Posts

@davillain- said:

As a Switch owner, I bought it for 2 things:

1. I like the portability to play it anywhere I go, (not in the freaking bathroom mind you) its probably the best thing Nintendo has ever put out and I rarely play it on the dock.
  2. I bought it just to play Nintendo exclusives only. Do not buy a Switch if you aren't into Nintendo's exclusive, that's what the fuss is all about. To play their games and I rarely if ever use it to play 3rd-party when I can just play'em on my PC.

To sum it up, a number of publishers pushing the recent price increase are trying to use "the rising cost of development and the lack of price increase for a long time" as justification...while conveniently omitting the fact that they've been offsetting that with lootboxes and microtransactions in their releases for close to a decade. In what way do you think is the worst version? If its 3rd-party game, do not buy it on the Switch which everyone should know, but Nintendo exclusives are just that, so I never consider them worst versions. This is all on you if you want to play their games.

Edit: I ain't no Nintendo hardcore fan, and even I can say NSO can go **** itself out of my face! Nintendo is a bunch of greedy bastards!

also dev tools have gotten cheaper to.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5294 Posts

@mesome713: I had to wonder whether most video game consumers are familar with the developers who make the games they play. I know the bubble that is System Wars know the developers. What about gamers who do not go to message boards or social media sites?

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3542 Posts

It's simple. You buy at full price and sell the game years later for 2-3 times what you paid for it. Or you hoard them and feel shame whenever you look at your collection.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#15 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3664 Posts

I haven't paid $60 for a Switch game as I wait for sales on Nintendo exclusive titles.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#16 madrocketeer  Online
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

"I'm Nintendo. And I can do whatever the f*** I want."

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

Never getting gypped by Nintendo. I hit up Mercari or use Eshop sales. Not paying an overwhelming price for an underwhelming product. May get SMT V, though, because it's Atlus.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 onesiphorus

@valgaav_219: You may want to avoid the word you used in reference to Nintendo as it is quite offensive. No need to associate gypies with being scam artists as not all of them are.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16604 Posts

@vatususreturns: I'm guilty of this. I played hades and subnautica on my series X through gamepass, and these are the best looking versions of the game on consoles. Nothing else comes close except $10k PC. I ended up buying both games on the switch. Hades looks awful on the switch btw. Going from series X hades to switch hades is really noticeable. Same with subnautica, you can notice a huge difference in visuals and draw distance from the series X to the switch. End of the day, they're both just games and you can still enjoy them even if the graphics are a bit worse.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

@valgaav_219: You may want to avoid the word you used in reference to Nintendo as it is quite offensive. No need to associate gypies with being scam artists as not all of them are.

My apologies. I meant no offense.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Sounds like what you're looking for is the Steam Deck.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

Welcome to Nintendo land.

At least some executives in Japan get to eat sushi off a naked woman thanks to your charity.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

Closed ecosystem.

You get what you get and **** you.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22976 Posts

Because somethings worth is based on what someone is willing to pay. Nintendo doesn't change their pricing model because they don't need to.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Eh, I have mine for Nintendo exclusives, and retro titles.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1273 Posts

There are decent deals from time to time - mostly on indies. Use dekudeals.com to track prices.

Luckily I'm not really too interested in Nintendo's games. If I really felt I had to play one, I would either get it used or maybe get a Gamefly subscription.

I wonder if they'll bring out Nintendo Selects for the Switch...

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VatususReturns

@mesome713 said:

It’s cause Nintendo fans love to support the developers and pay full price. If you want games for super cheap, go play on PC. New games will be half priced after a couple months. Which is great for publishers, but sucks for devs.

Nintendo fans also have very good jobs and $60 is nothing to us. We ballin mate. Nintendo fans have higher IQ, is equal better paying jobs.

Stick to PC or GamePass mate. It’s not easy buying games off your parents allowance or your Walmart job.

So you consider paying more for worse "having a high IQ"...?

ok, then, I think I heard it all now

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

nobody (well, probably not many) buys 3rd party on nintendo stuff. Its why their software sales remains low even though the consoles flying off the shelves. Terrible ratio for a best selling console.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3498 Posts

Because they are idiots

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4274 Posts

As I understand it Nintendo fans like to have all their games on a single console.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7356 Posts

The short answer is because they can. Nintendo doesn't cut the price of a game until it stops selling, and on Switch everything has continued to sell all these years later. Third parties have been following suit, because they can.

But there are two legitimate reasons why some games cost more on Switch, despite being the worst version. For one, cartridges cost more than discs. This is only an excuse for physical games but it is an issue. The second is weaker hardware. Trying to get a modern game to run on old hardware takes a lot of work. It's actually easier to port to Xbox and Playstation.

But the main reason is the first, because they can.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 onesiphorus

@omegamaster said:

Because they are idiots

What about you?

Anyway, I find it amusing that those who know little about the buying habits of Nintendo fans act like experts of the subject.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

That's just how the market works, rarely rational or beneficial for the consumers.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2966 Posts

I don't own a Switch, but that's an easy one to answer. There are two reasons.

1) Switch owners don't mind sacrificing quality over portability.

2) Nintendo has always liked charging premium prices. The company is the video game version of Louis Vuitton.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Easy, because a lot of Nintendo's audience would happily sacrifice strength and power for playground portability. Like those people who would pay money to have a trembling little Chihuahua instead of a real dog.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1848 Posts

You know dumbasses you can literally play all your steam library on your phone on your toilet via steam link app 🙄Buying switch for that is a waste of money

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

Supply and demand. If demand remains high, then prices remain high. If demand drops, then prices drop. Nintendo games have high demand, so they stay full price. The prices won't drop until demand drops, which probably won't happen until the Switch is past its peak.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#38 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Anyway, I find it amusing that those who know little about the buying habits of Nintendo fans act like experts of the subject.

Trying to look like the better person, really...

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I value portability over higher resolutions and frame rates. Seems a lot of people are in the same boat.

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 450 Posts

That "nintend-tax." My advice to you, understand prices are always going to be full price. you might find a sale for 15 or 20 bucks off, don't wait for anything cheaper. waste of time. ex. mario kart 8 is a port, and still full price 6 years later.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

What does it matter to you how other people choose to spend their money? I mean, if somebody really took the time to explain to you why they like the Nintendo Switch and don't mind paying the asking price for games, would you really say, "I understand and appreciate your point of view"?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Because the kiddies parents that are buying them cheap stuff at a premium price are loaded and don't need to care about no stinking price tag. lol :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@vatususreturns said:
@mesome713 said:

So you consider paying more for worse "having a high IQ"...?

ok, then, I think I heard it all now

More like "Seen it all" lol.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 onesiphorus

@dzimm said:

What does it matter to you how other people choose to spend their money? I mean, if somebody really took the time to explain to you why they like the Nintendo Switch and don't mind paying the asking price for games, would you really say, "I understand and appreciate your point of view"?

I wonder whether some gamers realize that the prices for Nintendo titles may actually make them more attractive than if they are at a lower price. Some consumers feel that a product's high price means it is of high quality (regardless whether it is true or not), and associate a low-priced product with poor quality. Nintendo is aware of this type of consumer attitude which explains why its software prices rarely drop.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fedor  Online
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts

Pay pigs

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 923 Posts

Nintendo prices can be pretty meh- you're not wrong. First party stuff rarely gets good sales, and when it does it's the same few games- BoTW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2. I want to play games like DK Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World on my Switch but I refuse to pay $60. So gotta play the waiting game. The price will go down eventually on most titles, however long it takes.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
@onesiphorus said:
@dzimm said:

I wonder whether some gamers realize that the prices for Nintendo titles may actually make them more attractive than if they are at a lower price. Some consumers feel that a product's high price means it is of high quality (regardless whether it is true or not), and associate a low-priced product with poor quality. Nintendo is aware of this type of consumer attitude which explains why its software prices rarely drop.

I suppose there are some consumers who think that way. Others might simply say, "The Switch offers something I value; therefore, I am willing to pay a little extra." People will counter, "But you can get this, that, or the other game cheaper through Steam!" which is true, but then I can't play it while I'm sitting in my car waiting to pick my kid up from basketball practice. Of course the Steam Deck will have something to say about that, but the advantage for the Switch is that game sizes tend to be smaller than their PC counterpart, so you can store more on the system itself, not to mention having access to games on cartridges so you're not limited by system memory at all.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16604 Posts

let me ask you something...why did people buy apple products when they were known trash. Back in the early 2000s and forward, there was nothing apple did better than windows, or you couldn't find on windows. The only thing apple did better was having less viruses, and the only reason for that had nothing to do with apples amazing security system, but because hackers couldn't even be bothered to make viruses for macs when their userbase is so small. Nowadays its more of the same, yet apple charges double or even triple what a comparable windows computer costs. Yet people still pay that price. Now, half the entire market belongs to apple. Does it make sense? Even the iphones, they suck balls compared to the android, yet it always sells double or triple. Why is that the case? Why do people pay more for inferior products?

Do people buy apple because of their products, or because they're "apple", and people have some twisted brainwashed way of thinking about apple? You can apply the same to nintendo, but nintendo doesn't have as many acolytes as apple does. Nintendo is still somewhat tied to the market and their success depends on the quality of their product. Apple has kind of gone beyond that now. They could sill shit and make billions off it because their followers are fanatics.