Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

This game is looking and sounding more GOAT by the day. :D

Do you plan on playing via GamePass or buying the game?

PC or Xbox?

Will CowSpot mug this next RPG from Xbox Games Studios or are they done doing that? lol :P

The Story.

----

• Avowed's combat offers a variety of styles, including spellcasting, sharpshooting, and melee combat, allowing players to approach battles in a creative and strategic way.
  • Spellcasting in Avowed is visually impressive and offers powerful combat options, with players being able to use wands, tomes, and spells to their advantage, such as using a spell called "Tanglefoot" to immobilize enemies.
  • Players can mix and match their loadouts in Avowed, combining weapons and skills from different combat styles to create unique approaches to combat, such as simultaneously wielding spells and melee weapons or dual-wielding wands.

During the recent Xbox Developer Direct, Obsidian Entertainment went on a deep dive into its upcoming RPG Avowed's combat, leaving many fans stunned at its display. The developer certainly put on quite a show as it revealed many of the weapons and skills players would be able to wield in Avowed, as well as the creative approach to combat that will be emphasized in its gameplay.

To ensure players can approach combat in a creative, strategic, and personal way, Obsidian has included several different combat styles in Avowed to choose from. Based on what has been revealed so far, it appears players are in for some incredibly engaging combat in Avowed that will keep them on their toes and require quick thinking.

Why It's Vital Avowed Hits Its Fall 2024 Release Window

Obsidian Entertainment's Avowed seems set on a 2024 release window, and there is a fairly important reason why this launch period cannot be missed.

Every Avowed Combat Option Confirmed So Far

Spellcasting Allows the Use of Wands and Spells to Decimate Enemies

The highlight of Avowed's combat showcase is arguably spellcasting. Not only does it produce the best visual display, but it also shows off what will likely be one of the most powerful combat options available. Based on what has been revealed so far, players will have a variety of approaches they can take to Avowed's spellcasting, including the use of wands, tomes, and spells, each approach offering unique outcomes in battle. One particular spell called "Tanglefoot" causes vines to spring up from the ground and hold enemies in place for a brief period. Players can also use enchanted wands to encase their enemies in ice, providing them with yet another advantage in combat.

Sharpshooting Lets Players Wield Pistols or a Bow for Ranged Combat

Avowed's sharpshooting combat style is another that seems ripe for experimentation. While the Xbox Developer Direct seemed to focus on the use of pistols, players will also be able to use a bow if they so choose. Avowed's gameplay director, Gabriel Paramo, specifically said that the game's pistols will allow players to attack their enemies from "mid-range," so it's possible a bow would increase that distance and allow for even longer-range combat.

Melee Combat Gives Players Powerful Close-Quarter Skills

Finally, Avowed will include melee combat for those who prefer close-quarter, brute force attacks above guns and spells. It appears this is primarily where defensive options will come in as well, as players will be able to block and parry enemy attacks. According to the Xbox Developer Direct footage, melee combat will also come with powerful skills, which take advantage of the game's melee weapons. Among the melee items revealed so far are swords, axes, and shields, but there will likely be plenty more for players to choose from.

Players Can Mix and Match Loadouts to Suit Their Playstyle

Close

The most thrilling feature of Avowed's combat is that players will be able to mix and match equipment in their loadouts to suit their playstyle. This means that, despite there being three distinct combat options, each style can be combined with another to provide players with unique approaches to combat. Players will be able to simultaneously wield weapons and skills from each combat style to vary their attacks and keep their enemies guessing. For example, Avowed will make it possible to wield spells and melee weapons simultaneously, and they can even dual-wield wands if they prefer.

While there is still more to be revealed about the extent of Avowed's combat mechanics, the customization possibilities are cause for high anticipation of Obsidian's next IP. Gamers are constantly on the lookout for modern games that allow them to personalize their approach, and Avowed may fit the bill. The true extent of its options remains to be seen when it is released this fall.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

Everyone is so happy they can play this game, except for cows.

They are mad they can't play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

I'm definitely looking forward to it, but....cautiously optimistic. Something about it looks a bit dated.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice

@nod_calypse said:

I'm definitely looking forward to it, but....cautiously optimistic. Something about it looks a bit dated.

Obsidian has never been the wizards of graphics kings, but the visuals look great to me but more importantly the gameplay, weapon-play looks very well thought out and very current gen or even... beyond. ;o

Also, their pedigree for a well told fleshed out story is well known so I'm pretty pumped. ;)

We'll see I guess. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@SecretPolice said:
@nod_calypse said:

Obsidian has never been the wizards of graphics kings, but the visuals look great to me but more importantly the gameplay, weapon-play looks very well thought out and very current gen or even... beyond. ;o

Also, their pedigree for a well told fleshed out story is well known so I'm pretty pumped. ;)

I mean, can't lie, it looks like an Xbox 360 game visually.

BUT, I'm a big Obsidian fan. Don't like all their stuff, but I know they put out a solid game when they want to. So I'm definitely going to give it a chance. For what it's worth, the world of Eora does look intriguing to explore.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SecretPolice

@nod_calypse said:
@SecretPolice said:
@nod_calypse said:

BUT, I'm a big Obsidian fan. Don't like all their stuff, but I know they put out a solid game when they want to. So I'm definitely going to give it a chance. For what it's worth, the world of Eora does look intriguing to explore.

"bolded" I can't lie but that's just so much hyperbole. ;o

Even the Xbox One would cough up blood trying run the game, just ask real devs like Obsidian. lol :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@SecretPolice said:
@nod_calypse said:
@SecretPolice said:
@nod_calypse said:

Even the Xbox One would cough up blood trying run the game, just ask real devs like Obsidian. lol :P

Lol, well maybe.

But, can't lie, I am a wee bit hyped for the game. The hate I see it getting isn't fair, to be sure.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34773 Posts

If there's a content rich fantasy game with nice action combat, I'm game. Need to see more than snippets of gameplay, some locations and one enemy type..

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice

@Litchie said:

If there's a content rich fantasy game with nice action combat, I'm game. Need to see more than snippets of gameplay, some locations and one enemy type..

Sure but honestly, I don't want to see too much of the game before I get a chance to play and see it all for myself for the first time. ;)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34773 Posts

@SecretPolice: True, hope it's good. Been wanting something similar to Dark Messiah ever since Dark Messiah, and this game kind of reminds me of that.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

I watched a couple videos. Looks good. But I have no clue what the setting/story are. Giant lizard people? What?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SecretPolice

Pretty cool eh?

Full read hit link...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/gaming/avowed-s-wands-could-easily-influence-hogwarts-legacy-2/ar-BB1h6gf9?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=1f272f3b23b7403999995fce6cd414b0&ei=24

Hogwarts Legacy 2 Could Adopt Avowed's Wand Effects

Hogwarts Legacy's spellcasting combat certainly puts on a colorful display, as spells shoot out of the player's wand and often strike their enemies in a devastating and powerful explosion. However, upon further inspection, it's easy to detect where some details could be added to enhance the combat's visual appeal even further. The lights, colors, and sounds created by each spell are moderately fulfilling, but if Hogwarts Legacy 2 were to take a cue from Avowed's wand effects, it would take Avalanche's latest success to even greater heights.

Granting players the ability to dual-wield wands in Hogwarts Legacy 2 would be a game-changing move by Avalanche.

In the Xbox Developer Direct footage for Avowed, the spells fired from each wand are just as colorful as Hogwarts Legacy's. However, there is a bit more detail in each spell and the wands themselves. For instance, it appears that when the player has an ice spell equipped, miniature icebergs are seen circling the tip of the wand to indicate which spell is currently equipped or active. Additionally, as spells are cast using Avowed's wands, the effects are put on display in such intricate detail that they appear as more than just different colors, as Hogwarts Legacy's spells so often do.

There will certainly be more revealed about the wand and spellcasting in Avowed as the game's Fall 2024 release window approaches, but it is already becoming clear the influence it could have on a potential Hogwarts Legacy sequel. As Hogwarts Legacy's combat is notoriously underwhelming, it would do well for Avalanche to keep an eye on Avowed as it progresses through the final stages of development, and then once again when it releases.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1410 Posts

Obsidian's up there amongst my favourite devs (new vagas and outer worlds) the latest showing looked great...good looking large environments..yea the sword combat looked a bit janky or maybe it was enemies on the lowest level for showcase purpose..but the duel wielding wands was smooth and my go to when it arrives via gamepass this fall.

Its obsidian....its good!

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 529 Posts

I think it looks good, but I think the hype around it will damn the game on release. I do not expect it to be a sprawling, massively long game like Skyrim or Fallout. I think It's going to be more like Outer worlds. A smaller, compartmentalized game with a shorter game length. Outer worlds had alot of disappointment when it released because everyone dubbed it fallout in space and it wasn't that massive when it came out. Avowed will be similar because it's already being compared to Skyrim.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39699 Posts

Ah yes this Kinect game

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@SecretPolice: I am bothered by the follow up podcast where they admitted the game footage shown was an "Alpha build". I can't see how they are going to make a release date in 2024 if the game is still in alpha.

Spelamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spelamera
Member since 2024 • 72 Posts

GamePass all the way, thx MS and Phil

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16598 Posts

GOTY 2024

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

Game Pass and Xbox!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44543 Posts

Sounds pretty good. I’m planning on playing this on the XSX via Game Pass.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Some people just like saying dumbshit, so forgive them.😂

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16042 Posts

I'm not impressed by it. The combat seems to be doing what Skyrim and Oblivion tried to do -- and those games have been out for a while. I don't see anything in Avowed that I haven't played before. I will not be playing it, even though I'm a Game Pass subscriber.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8508 Posts

Meh...I'm not feeling it. The combat looks floaty and weightless. Not just graphics but art style doesn't look good either and not to mention, Outer Worlds didn't do it for me at all.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

Yeah, definitely looking forward to it. Things I like:

• The visual style. Yes, not cutting edge graphics, but good enough; but the art direction to Obsidian games is often quite good and that counts for more in my opinion.
  • Combat and variety of combat looks solid. Not expecting anything super in-depth like whatever Japanese games (Elden Ring, I guess?) claim to have good combat, but it seems to be much much much better than your typical Western action-rpg.
  • Writing and dialogue. Obsidian does really well at this. Having played all their games in recent years--Pillars of Eternity series, Tyranny, Outer Worlds, etc--it really does stand out. Looking forward to some generous dialogue trees with lots of options
@Pedro said:
@SecretPolice said:

Some people just like saying dumbshit, so forgive them.😂

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6715 Posts

I've seen enough of this game now to know its not for me, I will pass.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2154 Posts

This certainly looks like Gamepass trash. Good for you Garbage bin lems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@Syn_Valence said:

This certainly looks like Gamepass trash. Good for you Garbage bin lems.

@pc_rocks said:

Meh...I'm not feeling it. The combat looks floaty and weightless. Not just graphics but art style doesn't look good either and not to mention, Outer Worlds didn't do it for me at all.

@dracula_16 said:

I'm not impressed by it. The combat seems to be doing what Skyrim and Oblivion tried to do -- and those games have been out for a while. I don't see anything in Avowed that I haven't played before. I will not be playing it, even though I'm a Game Pass subscriber.

Lol, this game is getting so much hate and/or overload meh reaction. Seems like everywhere I go people are trashing it. I mean, it doesn't look that bad, does it? The graphics are definitely dated, and not great overall even on that level, but the world looks intriguing to explore. Definitely doesn't look like a bad game, maybe not great, but at least decent.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SecretPolice

I recall how Elden Ring got knocked with low scores for not having the best top-notch visuals and most gamers agreed it was just a below average game. ;o

Oh wait. lol :P

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 723 Posts

Wow buddy - Avowed have more game play style in 5 minute than all of Play Station game of entire generation

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice

@thatforumuser said:

Wow buddy - Avowed have more game play style in 5 minute than all of Play Station game of entire generation

lol :P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice

I'm liking the sound of this. ;)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/gaming/avowed-s-open-zone-locations-will-be-size-comparable-to-the-outer-worlds-larger-areas/ar-BB1h7Lxo?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=8f1331ed285c41a1b1048ad0f412f94a&ei=12

Avowed’s open-zone locations will be ‘size comparable’ to The Outer Worlds’ larger areas

Obsidian Entertainment’s next role-playing game, Avowed, is set to release some time this fall, and its director has just given a bit more of an idea of how large its world is going to be.

In a new interview with Xbox Wire, director Carrie Patel reiterated the fact that Avowed won’t be open-world, but instead open-zone, meaning that players will be able to explore the world of Eora via a series of connected areas. As for their size, those who’ve played Obsidian’s 2019 RPG The Outer Worlds will apparently be able to draw comparisons to its larger maps.

“It’s open-zone, size comparable to The Outer Worlds areas on the larger side, and [with] multiple paths essentially to tackle combat situations, or avoid them,” Patel said.

Patel also went on to tease Avowed’s “secrets” which “not everybody's gonna find.” Clearly, there’s going to be plenty for thorough players to discover.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

It looks to be far from GotY or GoaT status, but still looks like something I would probably enjoy. I'm thinking more on the level of Greedfall or Outer Worlds. Either way, I'll be trying it out. There are a few other RPGs that will likely outshine this, like Dragons Dogma 2 which releases soon. With that said however, the more the merrier.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2259 Posts

I mean I really didn’t liked the trailer for it, it just seemed so dated in every way, might be because it’s just a alpha build, I don’t know… that being said, I have always enjoyed everything Obsidian has released and doubt it will change, so will definitely check it out but not just with high expectations!

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 above_average
Member since 2021 • 1639 Posts

The game looks much better than it's initial reveal...yet it somehow still looks extremely dated.

lol how is that even possible? Welcome to Gamepass!

Combat looks horrible but I'm sure the game will be better and longer than Redfall, so I'm sure xbox & MS PC fans (migrated Xbox guys) will love it given their standards, so there's that.