Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6377 Posts

It's been reported that some of the ex Volition dev team has formed a new co-development studio call Shapeshifter.

"Shapeshifter is a new co-development studio that was started by pulling together a group of experienced developers from Volition,"

Rumour has it they are working in conjunction with an Xbox dev, and after a little digging around I found this video on YT that seems to confirm which dev it is, you can see it at the 5:40 mark (I don't want to spoil the surprise)

I was a big fan of the dev back in the day with the Saints games, mainly 1, 2 & 3. So I hope these guys get to eventually get to make their own games in the fututre.

And after the damn layoffs in the last 12 months it's good to see some good news about devs for a change.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

Out of all the GTA clones (True Crime, Sleeping Dogs, ...) my favourites were always Saints Row 1&2

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Last_Lap

@R4gn4r0k said:

Out of all the GTA clones (True Crime, Sleeping Dogs, ...) my favourites were always Saints Row 1&2

Saints Row 2 is legit better than all the GTA games. I spent over 100hrs online to earn that kingpin badge and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately they changed it up too much after 3 with all the superhero BS and continued downhill from there.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

@last_lap said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Saints Row 2 is legit better than all the GTA games. I spent over 100hrs online to earn that kingpin badge and loved every minute of it. Unfortunately they changed it up too much after 3 with all the superhero BS and continued downhill from there.

Yeah Saints Row 3 is still good but weirdly the main missions feel like side missions and vice versa.

Saints Row 4 I've never even tried but is not the direction I wanted the series to go in.

And the newest Saint's Row... It's like one of those kids that tries so hard to fit in but stumbles on every turn.

Saint's Row 1&2 are perfect though. You can have fun with the character creator, the radio stations are as good as in GTA, you can throw people in front of traffic... It took the absurdity of GTA and turned it into its own series, while GTA IV and V became a lot more grounded. Dunno, I love both directions

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Last_Lap

@R4gn4r0k said:
@last_lap said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah Saints Row 3 is still good but weirdly the main missions feel like side missions and vice versa.

Saints Row 4 I've never even tried but is not the direction I wanted the series to go in.

And the newest Saint's Row... It's like one of those kids that tries so hard to fit in but stumbles on every turn.

Saint's Row 1&2 are perfect though. You can have fun with the character creator, the radio stations are as good as in GTA, you can throw people in front of traffic... It took the absurdity of GTA and turned it into its own series, while GTA IV and V became a lot more grounded. Dunno, I love both directions

I refused to play the latest game, it's an insult to the series.

For me Saints 2 was near perfection, so much personality, for me GTA feels soulless in comparison.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

Maybe this is Microsoft's way to slow down the optics of their acquisitions, rather than make mergers that keep drawing the eye of scrutiny of regulators, just let studios fall apart and pick up the pieces. It's cheaper, and they can save another acquisition for better strategic timing and consideration. Technically they wouldn't even be working for MS, just collaboration.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Embracer will probably re-purchase them. Just like how Sony closed down their London division only to repurchase the new studio that was made by the former employees (I believe this was Firesprite studios).

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7328 Posts

Freespace successor, when?

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 719 Posts

@last_lap: Uncle Phil is smart to take the studio for the game - an other Xbox Win!!

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 719 Posts

@last_lap:Uncle Phil is smart to team the studio for the game - an other Xbox Win!!

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

@last_lap:

Yeah saints row 2 was hilarious and got the reason why we played gta. To run around and cause choas.

Now gta is more like a boring rpg and has forgot why we play these games. To have fun not level up stupid stats.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17847 Posts

@judaspete said:

Freespace successor, when?

Was about to say the same. Volition at their best.