Games you're especially glad you waited before buying?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41567 Posts

For me, that's Cyberpunk 2077. That wreck of a launch... but seeing it now and playing it on One X. It's pretty damn fun.

You?

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#2 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6104 Posts

I sometimes make the mistake of purchasing on day 1. For a lot of games GamePass fixes such issues.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15968 Posts

I got witcher 3 goty edition for $7 during a PSN sale. Never finished the game but the 50 hours spent was worth it. Didnt even start both of the dlc.

Other than monetary value, the games I really glad I waited was usually PC RTS games. I got to enjoy super long campaigns of games like Warcraft 3 + frozen thrones, Starcraft+Brood war, 40k dawn of war bullshit amount of expansions and few others all because rts games always have expansions. The only rts I kinda broke this rule of mine is Starcraft 2 which I kinda regret. should have waited till story is complete.

Also Sims game. I used to enjoy them a lot but I only bought them once everything is complete. Best sims game ever is whatever sims game that have the kinda "harry potter" expansions. The original Sims 1 have a very memorable expansion where u could be a wizard and fight other spell users. Sims is honestly pretty great, just dont buy on release.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 0

#5 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3659 Posts

Resident Evil 3 Remake, got it on sale for $30 and was glad as I would have been upset at spending $60 at launch. It was too short like under 8 hours though I actually probably spent 10 hours as I died a lot. Still playing it on the harder difficulties was interesting though wish it had more replay value like Mercenaries Mode and unlockable costumes like RE2 Remake.

Doom(2016)

Got it for $10 at Best Buy and enjoyed the game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44385 Posts

Well it’s always nice to get a game I want on sale or to see it hit Game Pass. There’s been tons of times that has happened. Not necessarily because I didn’t think the game was worth it at full price though.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34717 Posts

Witcher 3 for 5 bucks. I didn't like it so that's basically 5 bucks wasted, but at least I didn't spend more. Was kinda worth it to see what the fuss was about.

RE2R for 5 bucks. I like the game, but I've completed it two times, plus the extra content, all in around 25 hours. Too short to warrant a price of 60 bucks, imo. Might be worth it to those who play through it 10 times.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2049 Posts

Days Gone. Heard it was buggy at launch, so glad i waited to play it on PS5 for free.

Planning to get Cyberpunk once im done with Elden Ring

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Arkham Knight. Wasn't exactly waiting per se, I just usually play games after they've been out for a while (no hurry). It's on PC, I've basically never had any of the problems that plagued the game at launch.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59224 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:

Arkham Knight. Wasn't exactly waiting per se, I just usually play games after they've been out for a while (no hurry). It's on PC, I've basically never had any of the problems that plagued the game at launch.

Would agree with this one.

Given all the hate this game got, including being a technical mess, was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

No technical problems either.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 515 Posts

I wait on almost every game before buying, and it's always to my benefit. Games are half off or more, bugs are ironed out, and it's not like the game's going to magically disappear off the face of the earth.

I think the last day 1 game I bought was Xcom 2.

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 843 Posts

I'm waiting on my games now that publishers decided to rush games out of the gate. One game I am glad I waited on is Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I was broke at the time and I wanted the game, but I decided to wait for the reviews. I got it for discount later.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but it was later revealed that the game was cut in parts to be sold at a later time, but that was scrapped. I hope the new Deus Ex game does well, but I will wait and see with it.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1352 Posts

Pretty much all the Final Fantasy games I’ve played for free now on PSPlus, as well as Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima. When I was younger I’d usually only play games that had already been out for a few years as they were a lot cheaper so I’ve always been a bit behind the latest gaming trends.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Sea of Thieves. It was absolutely not worth the $60 asking price at launch. Now, it's frequently on sale and in a much better state.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shellcase86  Online
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@blamix said:

Days Gone. Heard it was buggy at launch, so glad i waited to play it on PS5 for free.

Same. Runs and looks amazing on PS5. Awesome game minus some issues.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8324 Posts

DarkTide

Thank you gamepass for letting me try this game and realizing it was still atleast a year out from being finished. Saved me 40 bones

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18809 Posts

Well 1st of all I haven't paid full price for a game since Madden 2005 and GTA San Andreas.

Anyway, at some point I was going to get Horizon Forbidden West for $30 but I'm glad it's now part the PS+ premium subscription.

I thought the 1st game story and characters were terrible but so far FW is even worse. I mean I'm about 3-4hrs and so far it's just boring story telling.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39482 Posts

Nioh 2. Expected copypasta, got a copypasta, but at least i got it for $15 instead of $60.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 712 Posts

The only game I have bought day 1 (at full price) in my life is quake 3 arena and I regret it to this day.

Everything else has been months to years after release. Usually i wait for 2 to 3 years since i don't really run out of games to play anyway.

I like not only the lower price, but also the extra polish, quality of life features, available DLC, great performance stability and fewer bugs. You are basically getting a much better product for a lower price.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22859 Posts

Cyberpunk... I was all over this game during development like so many others, then it launched and my goal was wait because big games have lots of bugs and the industry doesn't care about quality control at launch. Turned out to be a great move, because not only did the game eventually get patched (and verified on steam deck) but my nephew bought it for his pc and we share a library.

So I'm the guy who gets to play a patched and competent running cyberpunk for free! Twas a great move on that one.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34717 Posts

@sargentd said:

DarkTide

Thank you gamepass for letting me try this game and realizing it was still atleast a year out from being finished. Saved me 40 bones

Why that game wasn't labeled "early access" eludes me. It's akin to fraud. At least they got a ton of flak for it, which is good.

Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22 Masterkiller103
Member since 2022 • 468 Posts

Any game that i'm not 100% sure that it's gonna be good, i generally wait for what people have to say, and see if it's worth the price, though sometimes i just buy games stupidly, that sometimes can be a positive thing.