Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

Nintendo 3DS and Wii U eShop permanently shutting down after this weekend

"The Nintendo 3DS and Wii U eShop is closing down for good in just two days (Monday, March 27).

That means that hundreds and hundreds of games will no longer be able to be purchased, even free things like demos or apps. Although plenty of these games are available physically or on other systems, like smartphones or Switch, others will essentially be lost forever.

Nintendo announced this was happening a while ago, having already removed the ability to add funds to your eShop account via the 3DS and Wii U systems themselves, so for anyone who has forgotten when the cut-off date is, consider this your last-minute reminder.

Looking at the 3DS sales charts, people have been buying a lot of Pokémon games, specifically the Virtual Console versions of Generation I and II games, with Crystal and its easily-catchable Celebi coming out on top.

People have also been buying lots of Capcom games before the 3DS eShop shuts, including the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (available on all modern consoles, PC and phone), and the follow-up entries like Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice (available on smartphone but not announced for PC or console currently), Monster Hunter, Resident Evil and Mega Man titles.

It's important to note that any games you've already purchased will be able to re-download, even once the eShop has closed. And if you want to buy some games last minute, you can add funds to your account either through your Switch or via a web browser.

It's also likely that physical copies of 3DS and Wii U are going to shoot up in price, so you might want to grab any hanging around your wish list sooner rather than later.

In other Nintendo news, it looks like Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard King is closer to going through, meaning we could start seeing Call of Duty on Nintendo again."

https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/a43416801/nintendo-3ds-wii-u-eshop-closing-soon/

Lots of great games (some, unfortunately, being digital only). Better grab em while you still can.

Also, lol:

Avatar image for masterkiller103
Masterkiller103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2 Masterkiller103
Member since 2022 • 468 Posts

I've got plenty of good games on the 3ds, but gonna check for some other ones i don't before they're lost forever.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70074 Posts

This why locking games to one piece of hardware is bad.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59219 Posts

Nintendo could easily support this.

They screwed their consoomers. But it's ok, Nintendo boiz are happy to owned by their Japanese Kaiju overlord.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44376 Posts

Might take one last look to see if there’s anything else I want to grab on those storefronts.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7228 Posts

This is good to combat over saturation of games. It’s why Steam and PC suck so much. Trillions and trillions of games that would take a thousand life times to dig through. And next week a thousand more are releasing.

Thank you Nintendo for regulating the amount of content available. Your saving gaming day by day.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MysticalDonut

@uninspiredcup said:

They screwed their consoomers. But it's ok, Nintendo boiz are happy to owned by their Japanese Kaiju overlord.

They could, remember the huge backlash a year or two ago when Sony suggested closing down the PS3 and Vita PS stores? They listened and they didn't. Both of those platforms are older than Wii U.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MysticalDonut
@mesome713 said:

This is good to combat over saturation of games. It’s why Steam and PC suck so much. Trillions and trillions of games that would take a thousand life times to dig through. And next week a thousand more are releasing.

Thank you Nintendo for regulating the amount of content available. Your saving gaming day by day.

That's some intense corporate cucklord shit

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MysticalDonut

Just figures the content I was going to purchase has already been delisted a month ago:

https://www.rpgfan.com/2022/07/20/nintendo-will-delist-fire-emblem-fates/

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/02/reminder-today-is-your-last-chance-to-get-fire-emblem-fates-on-3ds-eshop

Oh well. This is why you don't wait til last minute.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain
Member since 2014 • 56304 Posts

There's nothing I really need on 3DS as I'm totally done with the handheld as it is.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#11 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41567 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

No they couldn't. They got eviscerated that gen and would've been a burning money pit. Why the internet claims they care after everything they said about the Wii U is beyond me. Even IGN look like hypocrites making this crap.

And no, they aren't that rich, so spare me that excuse...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59219 Posts
@mysticaldonut said:
@uninspiredcup said:

They could, remember the huge backlash a year or two ago when Sony suggested closing down the PS3 and Vita PS stores? They listened and they didn't. Both of those platforms are older than Wii U.

Agreed.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MysticalDonut

@nintendoboy16 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

No they couldn't. They got eviscerated that gen and would've been a burning money pit. Why the internet claims they care after everything they said about the Wii U is beyond me. Even IGN look like hypocrites making this crap.

And no, they aren't that rich, so spare me that excuse...

Can they just port Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD to the Switch already? That's probably the last noteworthy games that haven't made the jump yet.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#14 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41567 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:

Can they just port Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD to the Switch already? That's probably the last noteworthy games that haven't made the jump yet.

At this rate, leave them to rot.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

I am already looks at physical copies before they go up in price again

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts
@omegamaster said:

Even some of the more common and poorly received games have gone way up. Federation Force is one.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@omegamaster said:

Even some of the more common and poorly received games have gone way up. Federation Force is one.

Yeah man. I was on the eShop last night and managed to grab Persona Q for £3.59. Nintendo could have made it clear what time they are closing the eShop. I was rushing last night :(

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Archangel3371

Grabbed a few games today.

3DS:

- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy

- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice

- Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

Wii U:

- Ogre Battle 64

Ogre Battle 64 wasn’t on sale but really wanted that one.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3096 Posts

@Pedro said:

This why locking games to one piece of hardware is bad.

It's also the problem with giving up control for digital convenience.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7336 Posts

@Archangel3371: I picked up Ogre Battle 64 back when the Wii shop was shutting down and... still haven't played it yet.

I have problems. First-world problems.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371

@judaspete: I know the feeling. I still have some Wii games sitting on my shelf that I bought when they came that I have yet to play. 😅

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MysticalDonut

Nintendo should just port everything on the 3DS and Wii U eShops over to the Switch now.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 916 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:

If not I guess we're all buying Steam Decks to play Dolphin Emulator ;)