blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16604 Posts

Recently i've been thinking that the monitor or screen is the most important part of a gaming setup. After all, it doesn't matter how powerful the hardware is, if the display is ass.

so which would you choose, an OLED switch or a regular lcd deck?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Oled all day. Once you go Oled you can never go back. Colors just look amazing.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

LCD. I have major concerns over the longevity of OLED: specifically for gaming and mobile/tablet use (for movies and TV, i would look at getting an OLED). I have seen mobiles with burn in after a couple of years and once you see it you can't un-see it.

I tend to use and hold onto devices for a long long time (still playing my 3DS for example, my phone is 4 years old and going strong and my last TV was 10 years old when it died and was replaced.). So for gaming and computing in general, OLED is a no for me.

In terms of picture quality (and i think responsiveness) OLED wins. but LCD screens are still pretty good in that department too. Even the screen on the original switch is good (just had a quick look at it there using Neo: TWEWY). A good LCD is certainly good enough to do the business for gaming anyway.

I just hope the screen on the deck is good. it should be fine. its been quite a while since i have seen a screen that made be go "blech". the original PSP with its ghosting issues was pretty awful. the original DS too i think had really poor colours.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

Having owned both, definitely go OLED if you can. It's a definite improvement.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

If you game in handheld, the OLED is a noticeable difference. I love it!

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

A good lcd isn't much worse than an oled, and the longevity is going to be way better with the lcd.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

Edit: I can't read.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16019 Posts

Depends on the LCD tech nowadays you can get rich colors out of it and wont spoil your gaming session at all but OLED always the better option. Personally the drawback so minor considering you have Steam library of 50,000 games to choose from. Not to mention the emulation stuff.

That aside, I honestly I dont get distrust with OLED anymore especially with portable devices, the tech have evolved so well there. Early OLED adopter with the Samsung Galaxy and PSVita and back then sure burn in is a concern. My vita have this weird black spots when screen turned off. But nowadays the tech is pretty sturdy, my 3 year old S10 still looks as good as back then.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

I want nano ips for all screens i'll be gaming on.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Depends on the LCD tech nowadays you can get rich colors out of it and wont spoil your gaming session at all but OLED always the better option. Personally the drawback so minor considering you have Steam library of 50,000 games to choose from. Not to mention the emulation stuff.

That aside, I honestly I dont get distrust with OLED anymore especially with portable devices, the tech have evolved so well there. Early OLED adopter with the Samsung Galaxy and PSVita and back then sure burn in is a concern. My vita have this weird black spots when screen turned off. But nowadays the tech is pretty sturdy, my 3 year old S10 still looks as good as back then.

From what i have seen it's not fixed (and i have seen it myself on OLED phones after a couple of years of use).

Loading Video...

That vid is only a month old based on a screen released in 2021 and it has 2 people running into the same problem after not that much use. then you are trying to constantly mind it and maintain it and it just becomes an absolute pain.

for gaming and computing (including computing on mobile devices especially since replacing a screen on a mobile/handheld is hell) the tech is just not durable enough imho. for me i would only look at an OLED monitor or OLED on my mobile devices if i knew i would be replacing it in a couple of years anyway.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sakaiXx
@osan0 said:
@sakaixx said:

From what i have seen it's not fixed (and i have seen it myself on OLED phones after a couple of years of use).

Loading Video...

That vid is only a month old based on a screen released in 2021 and it has 2 people running into the same problem after not that much use. then you are trying to constantly mind it and maintain it and it just becomes an absolute pain.

for gaming and computing (including computing on mobile devices especially since replacing a screen on a mobile/handheld is hell) the tech is just not durable enough imho. for me i would only look at an OLED monitor or OLED on my mobile devices if i knew i would be replacing it in a couple of years anyway.

That is TV, the tech there is bit different. Even Samsung dont do OLED TV cause of the reliability problems but for phones and portable devices, its a non issue nowadays.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mesome713

Steam is so stupid, we’ve been using Oled on portable devices for over a decade. No one is gonna buy the outdated tech. Get with the fackin times Steam.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

@osan0 said:
@sakaixx said:

Loading Video...

Have had my LG CX for over a year and no issues yet. Then again, I use it mostly for gaming.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sakaiXx

@mesome713 said:

Steam is so stupid, we’ve been using Oled on portable devices for over a decade. No one is gonna buy the outdated tech. Get with the fackin times Steam.

Did you buy lcd switch?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mesome713

@sakaixx: Heck yeah. Nothing would stop me from playing Zelda Breath of the Wild. But Steam deck won’t be bought by parents and kids who care nothing about tech. They’ll be bought by people who want the best and most powerful.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16604 Posts

@Chutebox: why would you use the deck to play pc games on the TV. It's super low end for pc gaming. Majority of people are buying it for handheld gaming, or am I wrong?

The switch is different, so even though it's weak, it's the only place to play nintendo games and a few 3rd party titles that the pc doesn't get.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50664 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: Shiiiittt, totally misunderstood the thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

All Switch does is win, win, win no matter what.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

OLED for sure, but its shitty 720p with even shittier graphics that off sets it

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34774 Posts

I'd choose the Deck, as I don't give a shit about OLED. Yeah, it makes the colors a bit brighter. Stop the presses. People overhype shit like this daily. If a screen on a device I want is OLED, cool, I'll take it. But it in no way makes or breaks a purchase for me, and I'd DEFINITELY not buy the same system again to get an OLED screen.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Yeah, display is nice but I'd go with hardware strength as the most important part. I'd notice and appreciate double frame rates, higher resolution, and better load times more than I would just having brighter colors in my display.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

When I owned a Switch I never used it in handheld mode. Not once. If I'm out and about, I'm too busy to be sitting around playing video games. And if I'm sitting around playing video games, I might as well hook it up to my big screen...

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mesome713

Oled just keeps getting better and better.