PS3 Oblivion Graphics Better Than 360 Version

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Prem-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -Prem-
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/news.html?sid=6165505&om_act=convert&om_clk=gumballs&tag=gumballs;img;0 Of note are the following snippets... "...The real enhancement is in the visuals and, to some extent, the loading times. The game seemed to have a slightly smoother and more consistent frame rate than it did on the Xbox, though the difference wasn't enormous, and it seemed to us that the textures looked just a tad sharper. More obvious (and confirmed by Bethesda) was an improvement to the game's texturing over large distances. Remember how the original Oblivion had a line set an arbitrary distance in front of the player beyond which ground textures turned into kind of a muddy mess? That's all taken care of now, thanks to a new custom pixel shader. The effect is only noticeable outdoors--though it's more accurate to say the effect is not noticeable if you've never played a previous version of the game--but it's a nice addition nonetheless..." "...Oblivion will make extensive use of the PS3's hard drive by caching multiple gigabytes of data, which seemed to help with load times from what we saw..." Think this would have been possible with the 360 version?
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/news.html?sid=6165505&om_act=convert&om_clk=gumballs&tag=gumballs;img;0 Of note are the following snippets... "...The real enhancement is in the visuals and, to some extent, the loading times. The game seemed to have a slightly smoother and more consistent frame rate than it did on the Xbox, though the difference wasn't enormous, and it seemed to us that the textures looked just a tad sharper. More obvious (and confirmed by Bethesda) was an improvement to the game's texturing over large distances. Remember how the original Oblivion had a line set an arbitrary distance in front of the player beyond which ground textures turned into kind of a muddy mess? That's all taken care of now, thanks to a new custom pixel shader. The effect is only noticeable outdoors--though it's more accurate to say the effect is not noticeable if you've never played a previous version of the game--but it's a nice addition nonetheless..." "...Oblivion will make extensive use of the PS3's hard drive by caching multiple gigabytes of data, which seemed to help with load times from what we saw..." http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/news.html?sid=6165505&om_act=convert&om_clk=gumballs&tag=gumballs;img;0 Think this would have been possible with the 360 version?-Prem-

Yes, with another year of development, it's definitely possible. The graphics probably could have been improved as well. Oblivion was rushed for the XBox360 anyways, but the game was still incredible, even with the bugs and glitches. It should be a huge improvement on the PS3 with all the extra time put into fixing all the issues that weren't fixed before it was released on the XBox360. If I was a PS3 owner and never played Oblivion, I would have been pissed if they game wasn't improved after a year back in development.

Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

The texture issues and load times/frame rate issues are the most irritating part of Oblivion on the 360.

Could these problems be due to compression by any chance?

Well it is apparent that the PS3 will be able to out perform the 360, but I'm still not paying that much for one and will stick with the 360 for a while.... £425 :roll:...

Ngon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ngon
Member since 2004 • 2782 Posts

So the lesson here is, If developers has more time to port games to the ps3, it would surpass xbox360 version....

TLHBO

lol

turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts

So the lesson here is, If developers has more time to port games to the ps3, it would surpass xbox360 version....

TLHBO

lol

Ngon

After waiting so many months for a decent game i think cows should actually have faster load times for oblivion . Anyway the 360 could do that too if it would've been released now.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Finally, a developer realises the virtue of taking their time to not rush a port, and using it EFFECTIVELY.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

There is an update for the 360 version, so all cows are getting is a year old game that barely looks better than the 360 version with less DL content. IGN completely self owns themselves again.

And the TC.

CelineDion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CelineDion
Member since 2002 • 5972 Posts

How many threads do we need about Oblivion 360/PS3?

Where's Casey?  He should add an official Oblivion thread to his usual collection of eighty-something stickied threads.

fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 fixer293
Member since 2003 • 4770 Posts

From 1up's own Garnet Lee:

"I played the PS3 version at the same event as Shivering Isles, and I'll just say that IGN's PS3 channel states things more strongly than I would. Sure, the lack of antialiasing makes a big difference. Will you like it? That's going to be a personal preference thing. Used to be that without antialiasing everything looked distractingly jagged. The jaggies are still there, but there's enough detail in the geometry that you don't have those long sides of polygons that really looked so awful, and the tradeoff is that without the edges being smoothed out, you get that sharp look.

As someone already pointed out the new shader code is going to be added to the 360 version in a live update. It makes a nice difference, eliminating that over-bright washed out look the distant backgrounds would get. The loading times I can't comment on because I wasn't timing them. Both have loads long enough that you can't help but notice.

The DLC thing had nothing to do with hard drive space. It's a matter of how much can be loaded into the physical memory of the hardware. They want to do some DLC on PS3; from what we talked about it sounds like they will pick a selection of what's come out on 360 and make it available on PS3. And keep in mind that Shivering Isles was only announced for PC and 360. Who knows whether it will ever find it's way to PS3."

The PS3 editors over at IGN were a tad over-zealous. BUT it's a great game and I hope PS3 owners are ready to have their lives sucked from them.

This argument is over.

avenger_dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 avenger_dot
Member since 2007 • 804 Posts

There is an update for the 360 version, so all cows are getting is a year old game that barely looks better than the 360 version with less DL content. IGN completely self owns themselves again.

And the TC.

heretrix

You forgot that not only the 360 will look every bit as good after the upgrade, but has AA too, PS3 version has NO AA !!!!!!! Jaggies fest is the game on PS3, confirmed by IGN pic too

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
Finally, a developer realises the virtue of taking their time to not rush a port, and using it EFFECTIVELY.
Timstuff
hell yeah...makes me wish i didnt buy it for the 360 already...maybe sell it buy it on the ps3 to play over again:P
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blackace

The texture issues and load times/frame rate issues are the most irritating part of Oblivion on the 360.

Could these problems be due to compression by any chance?

Well it is apparent that the PS3 will be able to out perform the 360, but I'm still not paying that much for one and will stick with the 360 for a while.... £425 :roll:...

Leejjohno

That's called rushing a game to market. With more time the load times/frame rate issues could have been fixed on the XBox360. I don't think compression had anything to do with it.

MrPostman4Chi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrPostman4Chi
Member since 2006 • 1219 Posts
No one cares about oblivion,i already played it out on my 360 so why buy the game on the ps3.
Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts
If there is a difference it is minimal. Gaming has become so pedantic and pernickity in recent times, people spend more time deconstructing screenshots than playing games.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
Shut up already about oblivion.

1. I played that game last march

2. most graphical improvements are gonna be on 360 via update

3. Loading times are not a big deal, its only a few seconds

4. shut up
Goldensun48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Goldensun48
Member since 2006 • 1181 Posts
[QUOTE="-Prem-"]http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/theelderscrollsivoblivion/news.html?sid=6165505&om_act=convert&om_clk=gumballs&tag=gumballs;img;0 Of note are the following snippets... "...The real enhancement is in the visuals and, to some extent, the loading times. The game seemed to have a slightly smoother and more consistent frame rate than it did on the Xbox, though the difference wasn't enormous, and it seemed to us that the textures looked just a tad sharper. More obvious (and confirmed by Bethesda) was an improvement to the game's texturing over large distances. Remember how the original Oblivion had a line set an arbitrary distance in front of the player beyond which ground textures turned into kind of a muddy mess? That's all taken care of now, thanks to a new custom pixel shader. The effect is only noticeable outdoors--though it's more accurate to say the effect is not noticeable if you've never played a previous version of the game--but it's a nice addition nonetheless..." "...Oblivion will make extensive use of the PS3's hard drive by caching multiple gigabytes of data, which seemed to help with load times from what we saw..." Think this would have been possible with the 360 version?

lol wow who cares about oblivon on ps3, i played that game like a year ago on my 360, btw the 360 is getting the same treatment when an automatic update gives better detail to the background. enjoy playing a game i beat a year ago cow!
musacircuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 musacircuit
Member since 2004 • 497 Posts
This is massive ownage people.Where is the less ram argument now when the ps3 actually has better textures.But the blu ray is slow so the ps3 will have longer loading times but oh no the ps3 actually has better loading times as well.TLHB MASSIVELY OWNED.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blackace

From 1up's own Garnet Lee:

"I played the PS3 version at the same event as Shivering Isles, and I'll just say that IGN's PS3 channel states things more strongly than I would. Sure, the lack of antialiasing makes a big difference. Will you like it? That's going to be a personal preference thing. Used to be that without antialiasing everything looked distractingly jagged. The jaggies are still there, but there's enough detail in the geometry that you don't have those long sides of polygons that really looked so awful, and the tradeoff is that without the edges being smoothed out, you get that sharp look.

As someone already pointed out the new shader code is going to be added to the 360 version in a live update. It makes a nice difference, eliminating that over-bright washed out look the distant backgrounds would get. The loading times I can't comment on because I wasn't timing them. Both have loads long enough that you can't help but notice.

The DLC thing had nothing to do with hard drive space. It's a matter of how much can be loaded into the physical memory of the hardware. They want to do some DLC on PS3; from what we talked about it sounds like they will pick a selection of what's come out on 360 and make it available on PS3. And keep in mind that Shivering Isles was only announced for PC and 360. Who knows whether it will ever find it's way to PS3."

The PS3 editors over at IGN were a tad over-zealous. BUT it's a great game and I hope PS3 owners are ready to have their lives sucked from them.

This argument is over.

fixer293

Pretty much says what I've already said. With more development time the improvements for the PS3 version could have easily been implemented in the XBox360 verson. Not sure why people are making a big deal of this with all these threads. At least the developers actually took the time to fix the issues and didn't just port the game over like developers did when they ported games from the PS2 to the XBox. Absolutely nothing was done to improve the quality or visuals for those games.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blackace

This is massive ownage people.Where is the less ram argument now when the ps3 actually has better textures.But the blu ray is slow so the ps3 will have longer loading times but oh no the ps3 actually has better loading times as well.TLHB MASSIVELY OWNED.musacircuit

You're getting XBox360's table scraps. Where is the ownage in that? :roll:

MrPostman4Chi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrPostman4Chi
Member since 2006 • 1219 Posts
The colors on the ps3 version are gonna be washed out.Its gonna be gray just like all the other ps3 games.
Baird-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Baird-06
Member since 2006 • 3511 Posts
Once the 360 gets the update, there won't be much of a difference. Not to mention the 360 is getting the Shivering Isles expansion...
echelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 echelon
Member since 2002 • 1199 Posts
The colors on the ps3 version are gonna be washed out.Its gonna be gray just like all the other ps3 games.MrPostman4Chi

What PS3 games do you own? Because mine sure dont look grey.
avenger_dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 avenger_dot

Once the 360 gets the update, there won't be much of a difference. Not to mention the 360 is getting the Shivering Isles expansion...Baird-06

YOU ALL FORGET ....360 HAS AA TOO, PS3 NOT !!!!

Dopemonk736

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dopemonk736
Member since 2006 • 2731 Posts

TLHBO

lol

Ngon
dude, in your profile you gave FFXI a 10, that game is horrible, do you have any taste in games? :D
wiljas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 wiljas
Member since 2003 • 1132 Posts

Oblivion has been updated for the PS3 To work better with the Cell. So the 360 will not get all the graphical updates that the PS3 does although it will get a few. Also the 360's load times will not get that much faster if at all.

Oblivion is alsogoing to be using the Hard drive in every PS3 to speed up load times something the Xbox360 cannot offer. Also a few seconds is not that bad but 4 seconds or more for everytime you go in and out of a building. Which you could do alot of will eventually add up very quickly.

360 fan boys complaining that they have been playing the game already for a year. Why don't you go talk to the hermits and ask them how long they were playing oblivion before you got it. They were yawning then when you were hyping it.

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#26 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts
Cows are forgetting that 360 owners have had this game for a year.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

This is massive ownage people.Where is the less ram argument now when the ps3 actually has better textures.But the blu ray is slow so the ps3 will have longer loading times but oh no the ps3 actually has better loading times as well.TLHB MASSIVELY OWNED.musacircuit

I agree, if your definition of  "MASSIVELY OWNED" means "Not even a small amount of ownage"......

md108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 md108
Member since 2005 • 660 Posts
Shut up already about oblivion.

1. I played that game last march

2. most graphical improvements are gonna be on 360 via update

3. Loading times are not a big deal, its only a few seconds

4. shut up
Film-Guy
LOL
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blackace

Oblivion has been updated for the PS3 To work better with the Cell. So the 360 will not get all the graphical updates that the PS3 does although it will get a few. Also the 360's load times will not get that much faster if at all.

Oblivion is alsogoing to be using the Hard drive in every PS3 to speed up load times something the Xbox360 cannot offer. Also a few seconds is not that bad but 4 seconds or more for everytime you go in and out of a building. Which you could do alot of will eventually add up very quickly.

360 fan boys complaining that they have been playing the game already for a year. Why don't you go talk to the hermits and ask them how long they were playing oblivion before you got it. They were yawning then when you were hyping it.

wiljas

You do know that Oblivion came out on the XBox360 and PC at the same time right? :roll: You keep owning yourself again and again. It's getting embarrassing. PC & XBox360 owners only care about Oblivion's expansion at this point into time. Something the PS3 isn't going to have for awhile. Most gamers have already played through Oblivion and are yearning for more content.

amtentori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 amtentori
Member since 2003 • 1911 Posts
one year later you would hope that they improve the game.

if it didnt it would be sad for the cows. the fact that it is getting upgraded one year later is in no way ownage to the lemmings.
Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
Hahah, that dude bashing The 360 keeps r*ping himself LMAO!
Zam_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zam_basic
Member since 2002 • 5246 Posts

lemmings siad that graphics between the PS3 and 360 wouldnt be noticeable

they were wrong

-KinGz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -KinGz-
Member since 2006 • 5232 Posts
Hahaha are the cows actually happy for this? 1extra year of development, dude haha.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Oblivion is alsogoing to be using the Hard drive in every PS3 to speed up load times something the Xbox360 cannot offer. Also a few seconds is not that bad but 4 seconds or more for everytime you go in and out of a building. Which you could do alot of will eventually add up very quickly.

wiljas
dude the pc and 360 versions of oblivion came out the same time :lol::
avenger_dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 avenger_dot

they were wrong

Zam_basic

Of course they are noticable, PS3 has no AA and same textures, only far away ones look better, and will be fixed on 360 too with a patch

So, PS3 looks ...terrible, no AA is funny

Avatar image for nextgengaming18
nextgengaming18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nextgengaming18
Member since 2006 • 2719 Posts
[QUOTE="Zam_basic"]

they were wrong

avenger_dot

Of course they are noticable, PS3 has no AA and same textures, only far away ones look better, and will be fixed on 360 too with a patch

What is AA? Just tell me. The same textures, it has improved textures represented that it could handle graphics from High end pc's. Stated by gamespot and ign. What do you actually read before making comments? Or just blindly follow one system..
avenger_dot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 avenger_dot
[QUOTE="avenger_dot"][QUOTE="Zam_basic"]

they were wrong

nextgengaming18

What is AA? Just tell me. The same textures, it has improved textures represented that it could handle graphics from High end pc's. Stated by gamespot and ign. What do you actually read before making comments? Or just blindly follow one system..

NOT AGAIN !!!! No it does not have pc textures, just better far away ones, 360 will get also !!!

That is all, see the OFFCIAL PICS in the site, the PS3 textures near look EXACTLY same as on 360 !!!!

So, is gamespot and IGN above offcial PS3 pics ?

viper7721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 viper7721
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts
The colors on the ps3 version are gonna be washed out.Its gonna be gray just like all the other ps3 games.MrPostman4Chi

LOL!! That's soooo true.  PS3 has crappy colors.
Ngon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ngon
Member since 2004 • 2782 Posts
[QUOTE="Ngon"]

TLHBO

lol

Dopemonk736

dude, in your profile you gave FFXI a 10, that game is horrible, do you have any taste in games? :D

? i've never played that game

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts

TLHBO

lol

Ngon
IMO, no we haven't. it amazes me that cows make fun of lems for wanting mgs4, but then get excited aboput oblivion. just give a good game, with or without jaggies, i don't care. Sorry, but if jaggies mean I'm "owned", then system wars posters are more stupid than i thought.
fixer293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41 fixer293
Member since 2003 • 4770 Posts
[QUOTE="Dopemonk736"][QUOTE="Ngon"]

TLHBO

lol

Ngon

? i've never played that game

Never played it, and gave it a 10. That is mighty fanboy of you.

kyleali11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kyleali11
Member since 2006 • 11820 Posts
like they should be, no surprise....
CwlHeddwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CwlHeddwyn
Member since 2005 • 5314 Posts
OK lets try & get the message over to the Cows again: 1. the reason why the PS3 version has better grafix & loading is due to more developement time 2. an update is coming for the Xbox 360 to boost its grafix 3. reports state that new X360s load Oblivion faster than old 1s plus the framerate is smoother 4. X360 is getting Shivering Isle expansion 5. X360 version has extra DLC.