Rumor: the next Xbox could come out later than PS6!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45306 Posts

https://wccftech.com/next-generation-xbox-later-playstation-6-amd/

The next generation Xbox could be lagging behind the PlayStation 6 and may be released later than Sony's console, according to rumors circulating online.

In a recent podcast, Moore's Law is Dead commented on some interesting behind-the-scenes happenings that suggest the next-gen console by Microsoft could have entered a design phase only recently. Up until last month, Microsoft had not signed a next-gen contract with AMD, as opposed to Sony, who signed multiple post-PS5 contracts. This is apparently normal for Microsoft every generation, as the company shops around in an attempt to get AMD to lower their prices.

This time around, however, Microsoft seemed to be more serious in shopping around for their next generation Xbox's silicon, as the company did not talk with AMD up until very recently. Having come to learn about this, Intel started bidding to produce the silicon for the console, apparently offering extremely low prices and the full capacity of its fabs. Intel saw this opening as a huge opportunity to salvage Arc and its fabs at the same time.

While Microsoft has yet to sign a contract with anyone for its next generation Xbox, Moore's Law is Dead thinks it is likely the company will go with AMD once again. However, things seem to be lagging behind Sony and its PlayStation 6, as due to this delay, the console may have only entered the design phase recently. This could make Microsoft release the console release later than Sony's next-gen system or rush its release to launch it together with the competition.

It's not unusual for Xbox and PlayStation to come out at different times. The original Xbox came out a year later than PS2. Then the 360 came out a year earlier than the PS3. Nowadays, it might be a mistake to give your competitor a headstart. What do you, SW? Would MS be making a mistake releasing their console later than the PS6?

Spelamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Spelamera
Member since 2024 • 72 Posts

I thought Sony was about release Ps5 Pro and MS release their Xbox Series 2/next gen 1-2years after that

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

Given the cross gen nature of consoles and the focus on games and services, I don’t think it matters like it used to. This disappointing gen has only just started producing native games and it’s not that impressive.

Xbox is better off focusing on games. Releasing a console early won’t make a difference for them, so rushing won’t help.

Sony shouldn’t rush either. The PS5 has only just started getting native game. This gen will be the best selling joke in history of video games if it ends in two years.

I think both should be aiming for 2028 at the earliest imo. I don’t understand the point of aiming any earlier.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56265 Posts

The thing is, MS doesn't really need to rush out their next-gen console, Xbox Series just needs more "must have games" is really should be the focus. I'd say let MS run 10yr cycle on Xbox Series and let Sony do whatever (vice-versia for Sony) as there's no need to rush on the next-gen Xbox. The Series needs more games, not next-gen Xbox.

Edit: It should be clear MS isn't interested catching up with Sony as they like to do their own thing. So they can careless if Sony already launch PS6 first before MS does on their next-gen console.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

@spelamera:

I will be surprised if it happens. We are just now getting next gen only video games and developers are now using the consoles fully. Last gen the pro versions made sense because of 4k and hdr.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44343 Posts

Impossible! Microsoft is exiting gaming in 2027. 😎

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39317 Posts

Microsoft should've went with Intel. Both incredibly desperate companies holding hands would've been great to see, you know?

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2045 Posts

Will Xbox finally have a GOTY contender next gen?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#9 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69976 Posts

Console gens are dead so it doesn't really matter.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

It would be nice to see some Intel or Nvidia stickers on the packaging, for Xbox or Playstation, next time around.

I'm not sure how much staler the current two options could feel.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@blamix: They haven't really had a GOTY contender since Gears of War in 2006 or Halo 3 in 2007. I can imagine them going another gen without one.

There's ES6 though. Lets just hope it doesn't turn out as bad Starfield (or Skyrim for that matter) was.

Boiled-Hotdug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Boiled-Hotdug
Member since 2022 • 309 Posts

I thought we had a rumor it was coming out before the PS6? Now we have rumors it’s after the PS6? 😂

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17845 Posts

@boiled-hotdug said:

I thought we had a rumor it was coming out before the PS6? Now we have rumors it’s after the PS6? 😂

I think there is a rumour about an Xbox Series X Pro due 2025 that leaked from the court docs during the Activision buyout.

As for this rumour: Once again a reminder that MLID is just a speculator. So the source is complete rubbish.

But assuming the speculation is true...it would make sense.

Intel are definitely gunning for AMDs custom silicon business. At the moment AMD are the only ones really that can do an X86 platform in a very cost effective way. Intel didn't have the GPU and Nvidia can't make x86 CPUs. One of the reasons ARC exists is so Intel can build that side of the business too.

By the time the PS6 and XSXwhatever are due, that should be up and running and you can bet Intel will be aggressive in getting that business.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see at least 1 console using an ix/arc SOC next gen. I mean, why wouldn't MS, Sony and Nintendo shop around?

As for any delays based on this? Completely baseless speculation.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2253 Posts

Honestly does anyone really care at this point? This generation has been the biggest waste of money ever and couldn’t imagine a ps6 would be much better🙄🙄

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2574 Posts

Intel getting back into the console game would be interesting.

The source for the rumor has a very poor track record though. This is likely clickbait nonsense

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1127 Posts

@osan0: It doesn't have to be x86, it could do x86 through emulation for BC and be a different architecture moving forward.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17845 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@osan0: It doesn't have to be x86, it could do x86 through emulation for BC and be a different architecture moving forward.

Oh certainly a console could be ARM based and emulate X86.

But that comes with quite an overhead and there would be a lot of software engineering effort needed to ensure that previous gen games would run well.

There would need to be a very strong argument for MS and Sony to get off X86 in terms of costs or something. ARM cores can be pretty impressive gaming CPUs but it's not like X86 is bad or anything.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 718 Posts

Microsoft is not makeing a mistake - the next Xbox is all the one that can play game - every thing becomes the Xbox.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10631 Posts

@Pedro said:

Console gens are dead so it doesn't really matter.

I don’t agree, but that’s just me.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2574 Posts

@thatforumuser said:

Microsoft is not makeing a mistake - the next Xbox is all the one that can play game - every thing becomes the Xbox.

I look forward to moving past this bit of fanfiction. Fans created this and Xbox was never going to be able to deliver. Now we have folks parading all these nonsensical standards in a capitalism driven industry.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
@osan0 said:
@girlusocrazy said:

Oh certainly a console could be ARM based and emulate X86.

But that comes with quite an overhead and there would be a lot of software engineering effort needed to ensure that previous gen games would run well.

There would need to be a very strong argument for MS and Sony to get off X86 in terms of costs or something. ARM cores can be pretty impressive gaming CPUs but it's not like X86 is bad or anything.

That kind of thing has been figured out before. It depends on the next chips used, but on the PC side of things we have seen a new generation of ARM chips successfully used to perform well and exceed the previous generation of x86 chips by using emulation.

x86 isn't bad, but if they can get a better deal and better performance/watt then it could be attractive for that reason.

I wonder if Intel will be able to compete with AMD or the available ARM options. They're quite expensive and power hungry.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44620 Posts

I heard 2027 rumor a week or so back.

Coincidentally the Sony COD deal ends early 2027 so after that each one should be a day one on Game Pass. Also, if MS announces another major acquisition, that should clear before holiday 2027 if it does, I hope they go for the whole Embracer enchilada. If rumors are true their increasing their multiplatform support, I imagine that would be preemptive against regulatory pushback. The Game Pass output would be phenomenal. I can see it being true, the 2027 release date.

Not sure why Sony would release there's sooner. If anything their 9th gen console and game sales would likely dictate when they release their next console. And nothing indicates they need to, people still buy them despite an abysmal first party output and not much else to be hyped for on the horizon, except more re-releases.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GirlUSoCrazy

@lamprey263: All this says is MS hasn't signed a deal with chip makers. MS is working on their own silicon, they don't need to sign a deal with themselves. It's possible they use that in a new Xbox. Or maybe not who knows.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15948 Posts

Honestly I think Xbox gonna open source their Xbox API to Lenovo, Asus, Acer etc to make Xbox consoles. Xbox just sells Gamepass subscription.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@Pedro said:

XBOX Console are dead so it doesn't really matter.

no need to thank me.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

To be honest I don't think it matters look at Nintendo they release when they want and clean up it's the same with sony. Xbox has a much smaller attachment so doesn't matter either way.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Impossible! Microsoft is exiting gaming in 2027. 😎

Really? Where did you hear that? :D

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16572 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: consoles don't really matter that much anymore. I think this is a smart move by MS, release the xbox a bit after the ps6 just to screw them over hardware wise. Just like this gen, we got 12 tflop xbox series X versus the overclocked ps5 with only 10.28 tflop.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 above_average
Member since 2021 • 1583 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

I heard 2027 rumor a week or so back.

Coincidentally the Sony COD deal ends early 2027 so after that each one should be a day one on Game Pass. Also, if MS announces another major acquisition, that should clear before holiday 2027 if it does, I hope they go for the whole Embracer enchilada. If rumors are true their increasing their multiplatform support, I imagine that would be preemptive against regulatory pushback. The Game Pass output would be phenomenal. I can see it being true, the 2027 release date.

Not sure why Sony would release there's sooner. If anything their 9th gen console and game sales would likely dictate when they release their next console. And nothing indicates they need to, people still buy them despite an abysmal first party output and not much else to be hyped for on the horizon, except more re-releases.

Xbox fans are so delusional and out of touch with reality it's not hard to see how MS strung them along up to this point.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Archangel3371

@Heil68: I heard it here so it's got to be true.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#31 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69976 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

That reminds of the time when folks believed in generations.😏

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Archangel3371

@Pedro said:
@Archangel3371 said:

That reminds of the time when folks believed in generations.😏