SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45188 Posts

https://www.ign.com/articles/silent-hill-2-remakes-main-character-seemingly-redesigned-and-fans-are-actually-pretty-happy

It looks like publisher Konami and developer Bloober Team have redesigned the main character in their Silent Hill 2 remake, and fans are taking the news pretty well.

Some Silent Hill fans took notice of the change thanks to an update to the project’s Steam page (via SteamDB). It changed the Steam icon, revealing a look for its lead, James Sunderland, that lines up closer with his original 2001 design. Bloober hasn’t officially spoken about a change to the character’s looks, but this new image does appear to be completely new, signaling that this may indeed be what James looks like in the Silent Hill 2 remake.

Following the Silent Hill 2 remake’s reveal, some fans had criticized how Bloober chose to recreate James’ appearance. While some wondered about how the Layers of Fear developer might recreate the original experience’s gameplay mechanics, many were more concerned about how old the main character looked. If today’s new image sticks, it’s not only a sign that James has changed, but that Bloober is listening to what its fans want out of a modern retelling.

“My god, my expectations are going over the ROOF,” one comment said, “they heard us, they really did.”

“I like him more now,” another comment reads. “We still need to see it on a video and with different facial expressions, but this is definitely an improvement. Old remake face was awful, so glad they listened to feedback.”

Konami and Bloober’s Silent Hill 2 remake will give the foggy horror classic a fresh coat of paint when it comes to its gameplay and visuals, but its story will remain the same. One of the biggest changes will see players fighting their nightmares in an experience that Bloober says has no loading screens. While some fans still have their reservations after the project’s most recent gameplay trailer, Bloober says it's confident that their take on the classic horror game will stay true to the source material.

Silent Hill 2 will eventually launch as a PlayStation 5 console exclusive and on PC via Steam. For more, be sure to check out our interview with Series Producer Motoi Okamoto, Concept Artist Masahiro Ito, and Composer Akira Yamaoka.

As a fan of the original, I'm glad they went back and made his face more in line with the original. And hopefully they take more of the fan feedback on the latest trailer and make improvements there as well. Thoughts, SW? Are you hopeful Bloober can give us the Silent Hill 2 Remake we want? I'm optimistic.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59036 Posts

He looks like a Leon Kennedys less attractive brother.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@uninspiredcup: hahaha spot on

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34645 Posts

Kay. I didn't even notice his face. Thought everything looked bad. Now that I look at the pic, I think I prefer the more detailed face on the left. But honestly, they look pretty much the same to me.

@SolidGame_basic said:

Are you hopeful Bloober can give us the Silent Hill 2 Remake we want?

Doesn't look that way from what I've seen so far. Would be cool though.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39024 Posts

Looks generic

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24942 Posts

original face was better.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69603 Posts

I hope for Sony sake that this paid exclusive pays off.🤭

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44239 Posts

Am still very highly skeptical on the outcome of this game.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56163 Posts

Silent Hill 2 was ahead of its time despite it came out in 2001, and to this day, Silent Hill 2 is the only game in the franchise considered on of the best for a reason. I would've liked it if it was getting remastered over remaking it but oh well.

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1051 Posts

Lmao this is gonna be such a bad remake. Picking Bloober was epic fail.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9564 Posts

Different lighting and zoom level.. perhaps a different chin and age lines so he looks a couple years younger? Looks pretty similar. I was looking forward to this game at one point, but I'm getting bad vibes from what I've seen so far.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1119 Posts

Love Silent Hill 2 but I don't think the remake will be good. Would love to be proved wrong as more good games is always better.

I think fundementally, above art style, is the convergence of controls and game genres in this era that would hold it back. Everything has to control like a streamlined 3rd person shooter with efficient camera controls. So much of what made specific genres work in the ps2 era was the specific controls and camera that put less emphasis on action and more on the games intent. These days I think people would fill a diaper if a game wasn't controlling exactly how they expected.