"So far I'm not loving rise of the Ronin" Skill Up Hands On Preview.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22837 Posts

Yikes... Hopefully not another new ip flop.... It breaks my heart to see that vapid open world activities still rule the genre. What are they thinking? What are your thoughts system wars? Do we have another casualty or do you think Ronin will fare better when the full game is f released?

Personally I feel like games that show promise on the first game often do better on the second so I'm hoping ronin at least presents some good ideas if nothing else.

Also.... What an absolutly brutal generation for Sony this is comparative to their legacy of consoles.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

The bovine brigade can't even buy a break these dayzzz. lol :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46492 Posts

I have zero clue what to think of the combat.

Doesn't help that nobody was allowed to capture footage, and all the footage in preview events (one week from launch) are all the same B-roll footage on basically every single preview.

I lack faith in this product and yet somehow asked to pay €70 on blind faith.

Gimme a demo, then I'll make up my mind.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1336 Posts
If Ronin is shite,set sail on the sea of thieves
If Ronin is shite,set sail on the sea of thieves

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k  Online

@SecretPolice said:

Soon they'll be forced to buy Microsoft games. oh the horror.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SecretPolice
@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

Soon they'll be forced to buy Microsoft games. oh the horror.

lol :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70024 Posts

This game has been getting a lot of heat but I hope it does fine. My money is on Dragon's Dogma 2.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheEroica  Moderator

@Pedro said:

This game has been getting a lot of heat but I hope it does fine. My money is on Dragon's Dogma 2.

Dragon's Dogma looks delicious.... Cannot wait to see it in action. It's the first game this generation that I'm actually bummed I only have a steam deck for. Don't think it's gonna run on it at all. Maybe?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8445 Posts

Watching the AAA market implode is quite the entertainment.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8875 Posts

@TheEroica: That's disappointing.

I didn't think it looked very "current gen" when the trailer dropped. I felt it's visuals were on par with something like Outriders. But, I was thinking the game play could have made up for it (like Outriders... which I still play and love).

I don't root "against" 3rd party games, even if they are not on my favorite piece of plastic. If this was a Sony 1st party, I'd be "LOLing" all over the place (being honest).

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator

@jaydan said:

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

Personally don't have interest in AC Nioh.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jaydan  Online
Member since 2015 • 8445 Posts
@TheEroica said:
@jaydan said:

Same shit going down in the movie industry. Whichever corporate overlords that thought $200million budgets was a sustainable business model are complete idiots. A high school level of education could have seen the repercussions coming a mile away.

These corporations betting on pointlessly massive budgets is sorta like having a gambling addiction. At best you might get lucky with such a gamble, just as the house wants you to feel. These corporations for a time, got lucky with these budgets, just as the house wants them to feel, so they keep taking these gambles and ultimately lose it all in the end.

Let the AAA market die. It is unworthy.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

I was excited about this when it was announced but I completely ripped it off my list due to being similar to Nioh a game I didn't like and never went back to finishing that game. That was a huge turn-off for me and it's a pity since I was considering getting the game because I love Samurai stories.

Stellar Blade is the only PS5 game I'm so hyped for.

Here's another final preview from IGN if anyone cares:

Loading Video...

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

I watched this video earlier and, as usual, goes into great detail about why he feels the way he does.

He mainly talks about how bland and mundane the game and world are despite the good combat.

Also, I get you are making a game for Sony, but if you aren't built for cinematic story games....why lean so heavily on it? That was another one of his criticisms, that they are attempting the Sony template and failed

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online
@navyguy21 said:

I watched this video earlier and, as usual, goes into great detail about why he feels the way he does.

He mainly talks about how bland and mundane the game and world are despite the good combat.

Also, I get you are making a game for Sony, but if you aren't built for cinematic story games....why lean so heavily on it? That was another one of his criticisms, that they are attempting the Sony template and failed

I'm pretty sure the heads of studios are just staring blind on the numbers. 15 million sales on God of War Ragnarok. Great sales for Horizon and TLOU... They want those numbers, they don't want the niche numbers that Wo Long or Ninja Gaiden sold.

As Jim Sterling put it "publishers don't want that kind of money, they want all of the money"

Same reason why we're seeing a company like Ubisoft, who has developers that excell at singleplayer games and are suddenly forced to make trash battle royale games like Xdefiant or Hyperscape, they are misusing talent in that desperate search for that one golden goose that earns them all the money.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator

@navyguy21 said:

Shill up is really insightful. Even when I don't totally agree Ralph brings up a lot of good discussion points. A bland open world is a death sentence in 2024. Would not be into wasting my precious time in such a place if the gameplay isn't stellar.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39416 Posts

Team Ninja is a garbage tier developer.

Loading Video...
Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

Combat seems a massive downgrade from nioh2, this is looking very much like "might pick up later"

edit: uh oh they downgraded stance system to ghost of tsushima, think this might be a skip

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEroica  Moderator

@howmakewood said:

Combat seems a massive downgrade from nioh2, this is looking very much like "might pick up later"

edit: uh oh they downgraded stance system to ghost of tsushima, think this might be a skip

So you're saying gameplay is simplified for the lowest common denominator?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@howmakewood said:

So you're saying gameplay is simplified for the lowest common denominator?

big time flash over substance

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39416 Posts

They casualized the game to please casuals, and when you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one. This game is gonna bomb HARD.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44361 Posts

I’m hoping that it turns out well and hopefully they’ll have a demo for it. Having said that though I’m way more interested in Dragon’s Dogma 2 and that’ll be the game I get on March 22nd.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

@howmakewood said:

Noticed this from gameplay shown.. doesn't play like Nioh at all.. closer to your typical AC clone with setting in Asia.

Looks bad both gameplay wise and visually

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEroica  Moderator

Where are all the Sony fans in this thread? Nobody but Hardy has come in to offer their thoughts... This underwhelming preview experience must be resonating with them.... Is there no opinions on it?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7247 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Where are all the Sony fans in this thread? Nobody but Hardy has come in to offer their thoughts... This underwhelming preview experience must be resonating with them.... Is there no opinions on it?

IM HERE AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS GAME.

Same with Steller blade

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gifford38
@davillain said:

I was excited about this when it was announced but I completely ripped it off my list due to being similar to Nioh a game I didn't like and never went back to finishing that game. That was a huge turn-off for me and it's a pity since I was considering getting the game because I love Samurai stories.

Loading Video...

don't get it this preview looks awesome. don't get the hate.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SecretPolice

@gifford38:

This will likely really get you heart pumping. lol :P

Rise Of The Ronin Gets Cinematic Launch Trailer With Live-Action Visuals

The game's final trailer before launch focuses on the Blade Twin, with cinematic live-action visuals.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-of-the-ronin-gets-cinematic-launch-trailer/1100-6521867/

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gifford38

@SecretPolice said:

@gifford38:

This will likely really get you heart pumping. lol :P

Rise Of The Ronin Gets Cinematic Launch Trailer With Live-Action Visuals

The game's final trailer before launch focuses on the Blade Twin, with cinematic live-action visuals.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-of-the-ronin-gets-cinematic-launch-trailer/1100-6521867/

Yeah this game looks good. graphics aren't the best but the open world and combat looks fun.

watch a utuber play it and said exploring has great fun rewards and not junk like most open world games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheEroica  Moderator

@gifford38 said:
@davillain said:

Loading Video...

Not hate... If anything, disippointed by reports it's an open world filled with zero sum activities. New IP's are the easiest thing tk root for in games. They're our future.... Well, unless the remake zombies finally finish us off so games behave like Spiderman movies (barf).

I want to be on record saying I hope rise of the Ronin is a quality experience... But reading it's more paint by numbers and has a meh story is like wellll....? Hope combat is decent!

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gifford38

@TheEroica said:
@gifford38 said:
@davillain said:

Loading Video...

Not hate... If anything, disippointed by reports it's an open world filled with zero sum activities. New IP's are the easiest thing tk root for in games. They're our future.... Well, unless the remake zombies finally finish us off so games behave like Spiderman movies (barf).

I want to be on record saying I hope rise of the Ronin is a quality experience... But reading it's more paint by numbers and has a meh story is like wellll....? Hope combat is decent!

I seen previews saying there is a lot to do and reward you with some good weapons. but I also hope its a good game.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

@TheEroica said:

They hyped this game up but laughed at Wo Long Fallen Dynasty even though they're made by the same developers. They must have thought the only on Playstation logo made it better by default.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

Pretending to be surprised