uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59186 Posts

Good news, after the SJW woke failure of Suicide The Squad, Warn Bro, upset you won't buy into smelly GaaS shit, is focusing on easier marks. Namely children and old people who will be dead soon, needing to fill the void with vapid activities.

Can a billionaire CEO who probably does sex crimes raid grannies trust fund? Find out next time on blablablaZ

Warner Bros. focusing on mobile and free-to-play instead of "volatile" AAA console games

Following Suicide Squad flop.

Warner Bros. Discovery gaming boss J.B. Perrette wants the company to move away from the "volatile" market of AAA games for consoles.

Speaking during a recent Morgan Stanley event (thanks Gamespot), Perrette said the company would combat volatility by focusing on its biggest franchises and bringing some to the mobile and free-to-play space in addition to live-service games. The aim is more consistent revenue.

"We're doubling down on games as an area where we think there is a lot more growth opportunity that we can tap into with the IP that we have and some of the capabilities we have on the studio where we're uniquely positioned as both a publisher and a developer of games," he said.

"Rather than just launching a one-and-done console game, how do we develop a game around, for example, a Hogwarts Legacy or Harry Potter, that is a live-service where people can live and work and build and play in that world in an ongoing basis?"

Perrette noted that WBD has popular brands to rely on, such as Mortal Kombat, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter and DC, as well as 11 different internal studios for game development. As such, he expects gaming to bring the company "meaningful growth" in the future.

His comments are interesting following the company's most recent releases.

Hogwarts Legacy was the best-selling game of last year, selling 22m copies, though its more recent Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League has proven a big disappointment.

While specific sales figures are yet to be shared, the company's chief financial officer Gunnar Wiedenfels last month stated Suicide Squad had "fallen short of our expectations".

Together, the two games certainly encapsulate that volatility Perrette described.

Suicide Squad includes the sort of live service elements he's keen to build upon, though it's these that were criticised by media and players alike upon the game's release.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46489 Posts

It's not volatile:

Singleplayer Harry Potter game: sells boatloads

Experimental live service crap that feels like a second job you need to pay for: not a soul is interested

It's easy for all to see, unless you wear a suit and your function name says CEO.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2471 Posts

Yeah, was gonna say but thought it was too obvious: CEOs don't understand gamers. They make the market volatile themselves.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Maybe one day I'll understand the appeal of GASS games... But until then, I'll stick to playing games that don't require a mortgage to purchase.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39410 Posts

ROFL. I just loooooooooove how disconnected these suits are. Imagine Suicide Squad comes out, and the upper management are actually surprised by it flopping. Years of the game looking like dogshit, and they just couldn't see what's wrong with it.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1142 Posts

That's funny. One of the first things I check when getting a game for my kids (or myself) is if it's a gatcha game or has micro transactions. If so, then avoid.

There are a couple of games I do allow, but with the strict line of no purchases for that game. If it's not fun that way, too bad, play something else.

Maybe there's a lot of people on there who leave their payment info on the game device and don't lock it, or people who will bend over for their kids to have another short lived 5 minutes of happiness, or maybe there are whales out there that keep paying out.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

@hardwenzen: these guys could throw shit in your face and double down on it being chocolate.

They had their live service fun. EA had Anthem, WB had Suicide squad. And of course the lesson they take from these are: let's cancel our singleplayer games, let's cancel our console games. And let's go all-in on the stuff nobody wants:

More live service and mobile games

🤢🤮🤮

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7223 Posts

Looks like they coping ol Communist Sony.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3233 Posts

God what a fucking shit company they are.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39410 Posts

Just look at the presentation, set pieces, combat system, voice acting, dialogue, atmosphere and a damn spot on depiction of the gotham city, and then have a peek at ANY gameplay of the Suicide Squad. Holy **** i don't think i've ever seen a bigger difference from what could be considered as a sequel.

Loading Video...
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k

@mesome713 said:

Sony didn't popularise anything, they always take someone else's idea

In this case Ubisoft

Funny thing is, even Ubisoft is failing at this.

It's just that they see this snake biting its own tail and they watch the numbers go up in their heads.

Screw the details, screw the logic behind getting infinite recurring profit, in fact screw the fact that people have finite time and finite money.

Bigga number go up.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By R4gn4r0k
@AcidTango said:

I can see EA following the same route as WB, what about you? Any others that will follow WB down this track?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts

Would love to see a realistic survival-action game (think Deliverance: Kingdom Come) done in the Game of Thrones franchise. I think that'd sell really well.

I mean, Warner Bros does have a lot of great potential for good offerings, I just wish they'd stop being greedy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58424 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:
@mesome713 said:

Sony didn't popularise anything, they always take someone else's idea

In this case Ubisoft

Funny thing is, even Ubisoft is failing at this.

It's just that they see this snake biting its own tail and they watch the numbers go up in their heads.

Screw the details, screw the logic behind getting infinite recurring profit, in fact screw the fact that people have finite time and finite money.

Bigga number go up.

Yup that's the problem: they're trying to tap a finite source.

One major issue I see with the GaaS model is that they think there is this unlimited pool of players or some overlap. There isn't. Generally speaking, someone that plays Destiny 2 and is still playing Destiny 2 will not go to another IP without great effort.

So we are going to get flooded with thee GaaS titles, corporations will wonder where their money is, and then they'll get desperate to exploit new markets (in this case, the young and the old) while reinvesting as little as possible into the new products.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3233 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@AcidTango said:

I can see EA following the same route as WB, what about you? Any others that will follow WB down this track?

Yeah I agree with you on EA. I can also see Ubisoft doing that as well in the future.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yup that's the problem: they're trying to tap a finite source.

One major issue I see with the GaaS model is that they think there is this unlimited pool of players or some overlap. There isn't. Generally speaking, someone that plays Destiny 2 and is still playing Destiny 2 will not go to another IP without great effort.

So we are going to get flooded with thee GaaS titles, corporations will wonder where their money is, and then they'll get desperate to exploit new markets (in this case, the young and the old) while reinvesting as little as possible into the new products.

Same thing when we got all these COD clones, people that played COD will forever stay with cod and won't even consider some weak undercooked game like Gotham City imposters. One that tries to do the exact same thing without the mojo.

I firmly believe that mobile and tablet trash that is clearly exploiting people with psychological tricks are also tapping into a finite source. Not everyone has spending issues or is ok to have 1000 dollar debts just so they can buy a new skirt for their waifu.

Speaking of mobile trash, but it's clear why WB (and others following soon) think it's a more interesting market: games on there are cheaper and easier to make. And when they see that things are going wrong they can more easily steer the ship into the right (read: money making) direction.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
@mrbojangles25 said:

Would love to see a realistic survival-action game (think Deliverance: Kingdom Come) done in the Game of Thrones franchise. I think that'd sell really well.

I mean, Warner Bros does have a lot of great potential for good offerings, I just wish they'd stop being greedy.

I do wanna imagine a really grounded and atmospheric medieval game set in the game of thrones universe.

There'd be so many amazing stories to tell.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61520 Posts

Make shit games, win shit prizes.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@lundy86_4 said:

Make shit games, win shit prizes.

They won a prize, 22 million sales for Hogwarts Legacy.

It's just that they translate this to:

"people are done with one-and-done games, we need to turn this game into a live service instead" cuz in their minds it'll make even more money -_-'

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By R4gn4r0k
@AcidTango said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@AcidTango said:

Yeah I agree with you on EA. I can also see Ubisoft doing that as well in the future.

Yup was thinking the same thing. They had a pretty big flop with Skull & bones, and I remember them saying Avatar disappointed. Ugh.

At least Bethesda is still making great games, they're not making that many FPS games as they used to, but Indi looks fantastic.

Bethesda was always my darlign amidst all the AAAAAAAAAAAA publishers (what term are they going with these days? Is that enough A'ss?)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61520 Posts

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56281 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Savage to the HP fans😅

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

WB: releases Gotham Knight and Suicide Squad live service game.

Gamer: we prefer single player games like Arkham Knight and Hogwarts Legacy.

WB: live service game failed, focus more on live service game!

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7334 Posts

That is the opposite lesson I would have expected them to learn from this.

Judaspete, you silly bitch.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44360 Posts

Fine by me. I already have an abundance of games to buy anyway.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

One of the problems with corporate culture is that board members and CEOs get to fail upwards and don't have to learn any lessons, do their job well, or give a shit about the product.

Instead of figuring out why Hogwarts succeeds and Suicide Squad fails and doing better next year, they'll just burn it all to the ground and make the money back by firing everyone, as is the 2024 pattern.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

David Zaslav hates his own company.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

@warm_gun said:Yeah, was gonna say but thought it was too obvious: CEOs don't understand gamers. They make the market volatile themselves.

They will fail in the mobile space too, doesn't matter

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2471 Posts

@sargentd: Just put me in charge of a Batman game. I will get the right people and show them how it's done. Or maybe The Matrix, but I don't think it has the wide appeal anymore.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k

Guess it's time to unblock WB from Steam, it's not like they are gonna release any more games on PC anyway.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#31  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Talk about learning the wrong lessons. As Helldivers 2 demonstrates, people aren't sick of live service games. They are sick of live service games that a trying to squeeze their way into an already crowded market, look like obvious cash grabs, and have nothing new to offer. Suicide Squad looked stale and generic right from the first gameplay reveal, Helldivers 2 looked fun. Guess which one gamers gravitated to towards?

But then again, it was these corporate C-whatevers who thought calling something "AAAA" might actually pull a few legs. Guess my expectations weren't low enough.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@madrocketeer said:

Talk about learning the wrong lessons. As Helldivers 2 demonstrates, people aren't sick of live service games. They are sick of live service games that a trying to squeeze their way into an already crowded market, look like obvious cash grabs, and have nothing new to offer. Suicide Squad looked stale and generic right from the first gameplay reveal, Helldivers 2 looked fun. Guess which gamers gravitated to towards?

But then again, it was these corporate C-whatevers who thought calling something "AAAA" might actually pull a few legs. Guess my expectations weren't low enough.

Games are scummy in so many ways now, games like COD would leave out their disgusting monetization and in game store until well after reviews are published and then implement them in.

They really think gamers are stupid (and well, some of them, mostly mobile gamers are) but I don't really get how their nasty, vile, scummy practices that are laid on thick are someting they can do behind a veil. I mean it's pretty clear for everyone to see what they are doing. It's pretty clear to see which game is trying to nickle and dime you for everything you got (Skull & bones) and which game puts fun first and foremost and happens to have a in game store (Helldivers).

D4RKL1NG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 D4RKL1NG
Member since 2012 • 291 Posts

It's all Fortnite's fault for the AAA industry being this shit. (I don't have a problem with Fortnite) but everyone is chasing its pot of gold ever since it became a F2P juggernaut raking in the billions each year

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9876 Posts

Talk about being a sore loser 😂!

Rather than trying to make the best game they could, they pushed Rocksteady to make a repetetive pile of trash to exploit people with addiction problems. And then they whine about it…

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k

Already 40% off in the span of days.

Always a good sign when even WB has no faith in the strategy they're willing to lay all their eggs in.

More live service games! Send more live service games to the sharks!

BTW I wouldn't even buy this game if it were a dollar, I value my time way more. I'd rather replay Gollum for shits 'n giggles.