When was the last time Ubisoft made what would be considered a "top tier classic" from a new IP??

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59329 Posts

Ubisoft makes a lot of games. I was thinking about this while eating fun size maltesers, how many of these games, when you cut out the game journos who basically clap any old shit, if any, would actually be considered top tier level stuff?

We are talking, new IPs. How far back do we have to go?

They appear to have 62 IPS.

Looking at their metalacritics, their highest regarded game of recent is Rayman: Legends, which came out in 2013 and is not a new IP, rather a reboot.

When you ignore the production values and marketing, has Ubisoft actually produced anything of crème de la crème worth since a fetus in a womb to a 10 year old child in fifth grade elementary school?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

The Crew, though admittedly I only played some of those games but I liked what I played

Valiant Hearts, an oft forgotten franchise but it has two great entries

Watch Dogs, yeah I like the first game, sue me

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59329 Posts

@mesome713 said:
Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Dang it, didnt know they had old ones. Only game of high quailty is the Mario and Rabbids series. But Nintendo helped them with that one, so dont count.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44683 Posts

I liked The Division, though I found the co-op MP wasn't as fine tuned as the sequel largely due to the difficulty scaling when players have different skill levels, Division 2 handles that masterfully by comparison. It's also one of the few GaaS titles I care to play, more so than even Destiny 2.

I also really loved From Dust from 2011, released as an XBLA/PSN download title. I thought this could have had a lot of potential for further development and expansion as a franchise but this one was one and done, shame.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3116 Posts

The first trailer for Assassin's Creed was creme de la creme. Too bad the game was mediocre.

Loading Video...

I liked Rainbow 6: Ravenshield and Trials Fusion, but they don't fit your criteria. Overall, I have never liked Ubisoft.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

For me, it was Child of Light which I always consider a top classic game made by Ubisoft, I doubt system wars would remember such a classic game, but nevertheless, it was really good for turn-based game. The first Watch Dogs game I really had a blast with when it came out back in early 2014. Yes, that was also top tier classic game and I could also say the same for The Division but Division 2 took it to a new level.

There are 3 new (but 1 reboot) upcoming Ubisoft games I'm really excited for are:

• Star Wars: Outlaws - The first ever Star Wars game to be an open-world could very well be their top tier classic game and dodging by the gameplay reveal, I really hope it delivers.
  • Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown - another upcoming top tier classic for this IP and I like the 2D platforming its going for. Can't wait to play it this January 2024.
  • Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - Now this is brand new IP game of a movie trilogy (according to James Cameron) I never expected to see being made...especially from Ubisoft I might add. Playing as a Na'Vi will be interesting and I do in fact like the movies, I'm not sure if this will be one of Ubi's top tier games but we shall see this December 2023.

Ubisoft games has never rube me the wrong. I always like Ubisoft games and don't give me that they made too many AC games cause I can easily overlook those if they catch my interest or not. I really want to see Ubisoft doing well on the upcoming games I've mention.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

I thought Fenyx was a good Zelda clone (or whatever you want to call it), and the Anno series has always been a great series.

The Division 2 was also really good, arguably better than Destiny (as far as "service-based" games go), but it lacked the same community.

And say what you want about their core franchises but games like Assassin's Creed are still a lot of fun to play, as are most of the Ghost Recon games.

I do wish they'd branch out a bit more; they're doing what most AAA devs do these days and focusing on one or two core franchises and just milking it for all its worth. I'd like to see a new Silent Hunter game, a new Splinter Cell game, and maybe even a new HAWX game (could use a new arcade flight sim).

Also where the hell are the Settlers and Beyond Good and Evil 2?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34773 Posts

They've done some OK things here and there, but Rayman Legends is definitely the last really good game by Ubisoft.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39700 Posts

I agree about Rayman being the last. But the studio was THE JUICE pre 2006.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7356 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I'd generally prefer a modern flight game than WW2, but still found Blazing Angels better than HAWX. Either way, a good arcade flight-combat game is always welcome.

Anyhow, Steep and Riders Republic were pretty cool. Maybe not top-tier, but fun games in a genre most AAA publishers stopped caring about after gen 6.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44543 Posts

Immortals Fenyx Rising is really quite a good game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Immortals Fenyx Rising is really quite a good game.

Same.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44543 Posts

@Pedro: Very enjoyable game. Probably a little underrated and likely didn’t sell well enough to carry on.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1273 Posts

Maybe the Far Cry series? Fc1 and 2 got pretty solid reviews... never played em myself. Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon were pretty cool. Then they used a similar formula for 90% of their games for a decade plus and added mtx .

I think Watch Dogs 1 and 2 are alright... The 2nd one's lame characters aside. They control alot better then GTA.

Had a decent time with the 1st Crew as well.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 297

#17 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

First thing I thought of was Splinter Cell - it wasn't too shabby honestly.

I'm drawing a blank anything else related to Ubisoft though.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2966 Posts

@davillain: I remember Child of Light as a great, little game with a touching story. I even bought the OST and listen to it sometimes. I had no idea, Ubisoft made the game, though

Qui-Gon-Milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Qui-Gon-Milk
Member since 2022 • 182 Posts

The Division was dope…snow and Christmas lights in New York was awesome. I really enjoyed the 3-4 years I dumped into Rainbow Six Siege when that came out

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

I really love The Division and am looking forward to the new one.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2064 Posts

Black Flag?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

Hating on Ubisoft is like hating on EA or Activision... it's pointless. If everyone agreed that their games sucked they wouldn't sell so well. I for one like several Ubisoft franchises. Bethesda hadn't had a new IP in years before Starfield. New IPs, while awesome, aren't a necessity when you're already established in the industry. On that note I'm looking forward to several Ubisoft games.