Bioshock 2 Devs Talk Multiplayer, Pressure

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AaronThomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AaronThomas
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts

http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/bioshock-2-devs-talk-multiplayer-pressure.html

I got to interview the Bioshock 2 devs earlier this week, and one of the things I really wanted to know was why they added multiplayer in the sequel to a single-player game. Their answers were surprisingly thoughtful. (Lame, PR-ish answer are common in this sort of setting. Thankfully, these folks were free to speak)

Anyway, if you're interested, check out the short audio clips in the link. I'm curious as to whether or not you fell on the "Yay, multiplayer!" or "Why are you putting multiplayer in Bioshock 2?" side of the coin.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

Couldn't you just post thier response in addition to the the link? Anyway I definitely see no reason for multiplayer, especially since people will just keep playing MW2. But games these days and it has expanded beyond just FPS now, are deemed incomplete without online play. People see it as some kind of cure all for a game, its suppose to add some kind of massive value to a game.

I disagree, most multiplayer components especially among FPS are all the same and people will flock only to a select few but still demand that every game has it. Bioshock was a high quality single player experience, thats all it needs to be. Using development resources to shoehorn in multiplayer just to appeal to mainstream twitch gaming masses is in no way helping the product in the end. I think a number of games might have been better off if they weren't forcing in multiplayer.

AaronThomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 AaronThomas
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts

I couldn't post the responses because they're individual audio clips in the story. Sorry.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
not looking forward to the MP, i really dont think Bioshock needs it, its not like people were unhappy with the first one
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts
not looking forward to the MP, i really dont think Bioshock needs it, its not like people were unhappy with the first onechaoscougar1
I'm excited for the multiplayer... as long as they keep the single player good they minds well add multiplayer to add a bit more replayability
luke89330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 luke89330
Member since 2005 • 351 Posts
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]not looking forward to the MP, i really dont think Bioshock needs it, its not like people were unhappy with the first oneWakanoid
I'm excited for the multiplayer... as long as they keep the single player good they minds well add multiplayer to add a bit more replayability

I'm excited for it too. Though I really wish its unique. IGN did a quick preview stating that Bioshock 2 "multiplayer actually rocks". So I think it shouldn't be bad, 2K wouldn't destory one of their top franchises, how would they make money?