Half of PlayStation gamers are still on PS4!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

https://www.ign.com/articles/half-of-all-playstation-gamers-are-yet-to-upgrade-to-ps5-sony-stats-reveal

With the PlayStation 5 entering the second half of its life, figures from Sony indicate around half of all current PlayStation gamers are yet to upgrade to current gen.

As pointed out by Game File’s Stephen Totilo, Sony announced this week that PlayStation has 118 million monthly active users (MAUs), up 9% year-on-year, but around half of those are still on the 11-year-old PlayStation 4. PS5 has sold over 59 million units since going on sale in November 2020, and it has yet to see a price cut. Infact, Sony has raised the price of the console.

Speaking to the investment community (as reported by Totilo) Sony president Hiroki Totoki painted a rosy picture of the situation, saying MAUs will steadily increase as PS4 players eventually upgrade to PS5, but as Daniel Ahmad, Director of Research and Insights at Niko Partners, pointed out in a tweet, the transition from PS4 to PS5 has so far been “slow.”

So, why have so many PS4 gamers held off on upgrading to a PS5? Or, perhaps to put it a better way, why are so many PS4 gamers content to stick with the console they have?

Mat Piscatella, Executive Director and Video Game Industry Advisor at Circana, suggested in a tweet that the most-played games in the U.S. are all currently available on the last generation of consoles, and that’s enough for most people. These games (Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox, GTA 5, and Call of Duty), are all available on PS4. “Any console that can play a majority of, or all five, of these games will be just fine for many people,” Piscatella commented.

This is not a situation unique to PlayStation, either, Piscatella added, as it affects all consoles. IGN has already reported on tumbling sales of the Xbox Series X and S, which looks like it will struggle to outsell its predecessor, the much-maligned Xbox One. Microsoft’s answer includes bringing its Xbox games to rival platforms, including PS5, but it has also committed to releasing a more powerful next-gen console, and there are rumors it plans an Xbox handheld, too.

Makes sense. The PS5 is more expensive and there haven't been that many next gen exclusives for people to justify switching over yet. But I think we'll see more and more now that big games like GTA 6 will be coming out soon (confirmed for Fall 2025 release). And hopefully Sony will start revealing what their first party studios are working on. Thoughts, SW? Are you still playing on a last gen console?

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 956 Posts

I have a PS5 and I still play on my PS4 regularly. Sometimes even PS2 and PS3.

Legacy gaming is where its at. Dont know why people leave previous gens gaming once a new one starts. Their loss

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Because BS Jive has no games maybe? ;o

Sorry, I just had to. lol :P

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1410 Posts

Generations

We believe in generations
We believe in generations

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#5 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5183 Posts

Aren't there like 150 million Ps4s out there or something? So ummmm duh

It Takes the entire generation for everyone to move over, hell PS5 hasn't even had a price drop

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#6 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

Not everyone has made the jump though. I only got on XSX this last American Tax Season. And still have my XOX on hand (need to hook it up for a TV box in my room).

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

@Star67 said:

Aren't there like 150 million Ps4s out there or something? So ummmm duh

It Takes the entire generation for everyone to move over, hell PS5 hasn't even had a price drop

I think it's even hard to get people to move over because of these big popular games like Fortnite that are still available to play on them.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

Of course they are, Sony isn't releasing shit for the PS5. If this system had 4-5 TLOU2 level ps5 exclusives, over 80% of people would be on the ps5.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59330 Posts

Good?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6718 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Of course they are, Sony isn't releasing shit for the PS5. If this system had 4-5 TLOU2 level ps5 exclusives, over 80% of people would be on the ps5.

I agree, that's why you've moved to PC isn't that right hermit.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:

I agree, that's why you've moved to PC isn't that right hermit.

God you're annoying. I can't handle you anymore, i really can't.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8410 Posts

no price drops, most games are cross-gen , and you can still play Fortnite and Call of Duty on it.. it's been a weird hardware cycle..

which raises the question, is the new Call of Duty next-gen only?.. 🤔 if not, most casuals still have no reason to upgrade..

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: I'm just speaking the truth, you bought Dragons Dogmeh 2 on PC instead of PS5, you also bought a Sony owned IP in Helldivers 2 on PC.

That is factual, you even said you did. So you're a hermit, and there's no denying it. Time for you to embrace your hermitness, I'm sure the other Hermits will welcome you with open arms.

I guess that leaves an opening for "head cow" on here, I wonder if any of the other cows are gonna step up?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: I'm just speaking the truth, you bought Dragons Dogmeh 2 on PC instead of PS5, you also bought a Sony owned IP in Helldivers 2 on PC.

That is factual, you even said you did. So you're a hermit, and there's no denying it. Time for you to embrace your hermitness, I'm sure the other Hermits will welcome you with open arms.

I guess that leaves an opening for "head cow" on here, I wonder if any of the other cows are gonna step up?

I am not leaving the head cow position anytime soon.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: You have disqualified yourself for buying games on PC not PS5.

You have vacated the milking station by way or your actions. It's time for a cow who buys ganes on PS5 not PC.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: You have disqualified yourself for buying games on PC not PS5.

You have vacated the milking station by way or your actions. It's time for a cow who buys ganes on PS5 not PC.

I buy exclusives, the reason to buy the actual system. This is what Ascended Cows do.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Oh really well I'm sure you bought Spiderman 2, GT7, Horizon Forbidden West and so on?

And you most recently bought Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade right, oh wait...

bandyyploy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bandyyploy
Member since 2023 • 4 Posts

you could just say it's got no exclusives, and that is true, it has barely any (at least compared to the ps4 and ps3 which had tons). but i think main reason why most people don't wanna move to new gen consoles in general is because even the multi-platform games are mostly garbage and overpriced, and people are sticking to older games which are getting cheaper even if the ps4 itself hadn't gotten a price drop yet somehow. also the ps5 is stinking expensive. it all doesn't seem worth it...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Oh really well I'm sure you bought Spiderman 2, GT7, Horizon Forbidden West and so on?

And you most recently bought Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade right, oh wait...

I will buy them next year, i promise to you.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Last_Lap

This thread is just further proof why you shouldn't buy a PS5, and yet Sony raised the price, and people are still buying it 🤦‍♂️

Not only that, but by the time Sony's first party devs get around to releasing the games they currently have in development, it will be time for a PS6.

Don't believe me, well with nothing announced it means the games are at least 2yrs away which will make the PS5 6yrs old, and next gen only a year or two away. Goodluck to Sony getting games on the market in 2yrs for the PS6.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

This thread is just further proof why you shouldn't buy a PS5, and yet Sony raised the price, and people are still buying it 🤦‍♂️

Not only that, but by the time Sony's first party devs get around to releasing the games they currently have in development, it will be time for a PS6.

Don't believe me, well with nothing announced it means the games are at least 2yrs away which will make the PS5 6yrs old, and next gen only a year or two away. Goodluck to Sony getting games on the market in 2yrs for the PS6.

Stop saying that, and join us already. Your fist step is already on the blue side, you own a ps4.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: It will be too late by then as they will be on PC thus making them not exclusives anymore.

It's funny how in another thread you were touting that Sony has released 4 exclusives (even though that isn't true, but I'll play along) and yet you called 2 shit, hardly mentions one and bought the other on PC.

It's very clear you're a hermit.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Who is us, don't you mean them as you're officially a hermit.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3116 Posts

I don't have one because I was disappointed with PS4, so I was hesitant. It doesn't have any games I want to play. I don't like the controller. I don't like the system. I don't like Sony anymore. They've done everything under the sun to not gain my interest. **** them.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hardwenzen
@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: It will be too late by then as they will be on PC thus making them not exclusives anymore.

It's funny how in another thread you were touting that Sony has released 4 exclusives (even though that isn't true, but I'll play along) and yet you called 2 shit, hardly mentions one and bought the other on PC.

It's very clear you're a hermit.

They are exclusive. But are they TLOU level exclusives that we, cows, are used to? No.

Remember, we, cows, we have the highest standards a gamer can have. We were conditioned on gow, tlou, mgs, bloodborne, etc. When you're used to such incredibly fascinating quality of games, even Helldivers 2 might simply not be enough. This is just a high rolla life, bro. And believe me, if you were to grab a ps5, you can taste the goodness as well.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22974 Posts

@hardwenzen: sitting around waiting for TLOU games? Eww.... Hardy, you're supposed to be the apex of your breed... You need to clean that line up.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen

@TheEroica said:

@hardwenzen: sitting around waiting for TLOU games? Eww.... Hardy, you're supposed to be the apex of your breed... You need to clean that line up.

I wouldn't mind TLOU3, infact, i'd be all over it, but that wasn't my point. I want games on par with the quality of TLOU, not just TLOU itself.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Stop referring to yourself as a cow. You have made it very clear by your game purchases that you have converted to PC.

It's an undeniable fact. You may as well tag solid and give him the crown, come to think of it he was always a bigger cow than you. You tried to fraud your way to his high milkyness 🤣🤣🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Stop referring to yourself as a cow. You have made it very clear by your game purchases that you have converted to PC.

It's an undeniable fact. You may as well tag solid and give him the crown, come to think of it he was always a bigger cow than you. You tried to fraud your way to his high milkyness 🤣🤣🤣

I will never quit cow pride. No matter how hard you try to convert me to the disgusting system BassMan mains, i will never main it. Never forget that.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Me convert you?

You converted yourself by buying games readily available games on the PS5 (a Sony owned IP too I might add) on the PC.

Hermit status confirmed.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Me convert you?

You converted yourself by buying games readily available games on the PS5 (a Sony owned IP too I might add) on the PC.

Hermit status confirmed.

No i did not. And you will never convert me either.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: the facts have been laid bare, It's settled, the conversation is over.

Bye hermwenzen.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: the facts have been laid bare, It's settled, the conversation is over.

Bye hermwenzen.

Bye, but you were unsuccessful at converting me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Stop saying that, and join us already. Your fist step is already on the blue side, you own a ps4.

Just let him wait for PS5 Pro. No need to waste money on the regular PS5 at this point.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

@davillain said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Just let him wait for PS5 Pro. No need to waste money on the regular PS5 at this point.

Good point, great even. I will let him breath, but this Fall, he is buying a ps5 pro no questions asked.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Last_Lap

@davillain: That makes no sense dav as the PRO is going to cost more and that still doesn't change the fact Sony has no ganes.

Better hardware and no games to make use of it 🤣🤣🤣

Edit: On a side note you need to welcome wenzen into the hermit faction as he has officially joined.

Icrackurnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Icrackurnuts
Member since 2024 • 81 Posts

Bcuz there is no reason to buy consoles anymore when you got a gaming pc duh