Assassins Creed Shadows - world premiere trailer!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@vatususreturns said:

So... "whitewashing" is a problem, but "blackwashing" suddenly isnt?

I mean, I know all about that story about the black samurai and all but when Nioh had William that was also based on a historical figure there were people complaining still. Wonder if they'll do the same now...

To me, this feels like the black person has been reduced to a marketing gimmick. We are talking about it. So it's a success.

Remember watching an indie movie once where the main character was a black guy, but they didn't make him being black the gimmick. He just happened to be black.

He had a pal called "Whistler", who was like his dad. Even though he was white. And they never highlighted it at any point. And the audience didn't care.

When Whistler was left almost dead by Frost he didn't cry either when Kurt Cobain himself.

When he fought the white guy who got extra KI suddenly at no point did he use the N word.

Good movie haha

This was me reading your post a 1/4 of the way through

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#102 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14944 Posts

For the stupid anti woke people on this thread.....Yusuke was chosen because they wanted an outsider perspective along with an inside perspective with the kuniochi.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56401 Posts

@Pedro said:
@davillain said:

@Jag85: I've only learned Yasuke little of him during my international history class in high school, I ever bother looking elsewhere on the internet. All I remember is that Yasuke was a Retainer right? Weren't Retainers just servants and not Samurai?

Source. Centuries ago, feudal states were present in Japan. The feudal lords, called daimyo, felt a lack of protection. They needed someone heroic to protect them everywhere. In that era, samurais were the upper-ranked heroes. So, the culture of assigning a personal samurai to protect a daimyo started. This personal Samurai is them.

Samurai retainers are specially trained military with no fear of dying. They believed in death for heroism rather than life with cowardliness. Samurai retainers always had to be honest, active, and dutiful.

Despite being a strong person, a retainer had to follow the orders of his lord always. Because he is a retainer, after all. And, the clearer synonym for the word retainer is a slave. They had to be always ready to die for the master. They were the upper-class superheroes with lower-class ranking. Learn Now: Culture Complex Examples

Interesting. I guess he was a Samurai through different means. Learned something new everyday.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#104 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts

Looks good, and I'm glad the historical character is also the player character this time around, instead of the usual sidelines NPC cameo.

However, this is a Ubisoft game, so no matter how great the premise and story is, the gameplay will falter.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#105 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts
@davillain said:

@Jag85: I've only learned Yasuke little of him during my international history class in high school, I ever bother looking elsewhere on the internet. All I remember is that Yasuke was a Retainer right? Weren't Retainers just servants and not Samurai?

According to several reliable academic sources, Yasuke was a samurai:

Yasuke (Encyclopedia Britannica)

African Samurai: The True Story of Yasuke, A Legendary Black Warrior in Feudal Japan

History of the Samurai: Legendary Warriors of Japan

Wikipedia disputes this, but it's not a reliable source. Yasuke's Wiki article especially has recently been compromised by gamer trolls editing the article with a clear agenda, making faulty claims while citing unreliable sources. So I'd take Yasuke's Wiki article with a grain of salt.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#106 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59319 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

For the stupid anti woke people on this thread.....Yusuke was chosen because they wanted an outsider perspective along with an inside perspective with the kuniochi.

"Too many Japanese people"

- Extremely racist Ubisoft employee

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Jag85
@Pedro said:

His native language is English. You have a tendency to make these assumptions. I wonder why?

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

- Hanlon's razor

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11704 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@texasgoldrush said:

"Too many Japanese people"

- Extremely racist Ubisoft employee

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 DaVillain  Moderator

@Jag85: @Pedro brought up my question but I'm ok with Wiki articles. It would be nice if Ubisoft did something different like what Afro Samurai did IMO.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Jag85
@mrbojangles25 said:

I do enjoy how this might offend some Japanese though, those people have a history of not being very welcoming of dark-skinned folks. Just to stir things up. I don't think anyone should really read into this too much lol.

Let's not pretend that Western countries don't have an infinitely worse history of racism against dark-skin people...

But I can see your point. I haven't seen Japan's reactions yet, but they would have every right to be offended. However, if they weren't also offended by white samurai protagonists in the likes of Nioh, Shogun, or Last Samurai, then that would be hypocritical.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 texasgoldrush

@Jag85 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I do enjoy how this might offend some Japanese though, those people have a history of not being very welcoming of dark-skinned folks. Just to stir things up. I don't think anyone should really read into this too much lol.

Let's not pretend that Western countries don't have an infinitely worse history of racism against dark-skin people...

But I can see your point. I haven't seen Japan's reactions yet, but they would have every right to be offended. However, if they weren't also offended by white samurai protagonists in the likes of Nioh, Shogun, or Last Samurai, then that would be hypocritical.

There is anime about him

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
@texasgoldrush said:
@Jag85 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

There is anime about him

Afro Samurai?

At the time, I don't think anyone said he's based on Yusuke. He's his own character in Japan. Like I said in my other post, Afro Samurai game from the 7th gen is really fun but underrated.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Jag85
@texasgoldrush said:
@Jag85 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

There is anime about him

Afro Samurai isn't about Yasuke, but it does appear to be inspired by him. And Japanese audiences definitely had no issue with it back in the days. But Afro Samurai was made in Japan, whereas Assassin's Creed is made in the West, so they might react differently.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 texasgoldrush

@Jag85 said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@Jag85 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

There is anime about him

Afro Samurai isn't about Yasuke, but it does appear to be inspired by him. And Japanese audiences definitely had no issue with it back in the days. But Afro Samurai was made in Japan, whereas Assassin's Creed is made in the West, so they might react differently.

There is also the Netflix series.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6700 Posts

@gifford38: Asians are not white, so there are 2 people of colour in the game. I get you're going to go the WOKE route but at least get it right because you look like a fool when you can't identify what a white person is.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Last_Lap

Just read through the rest of the thread, geez you really wonder with some people.

As for the game? Well there was no gameplay, so I can't judge it.

I will say I don't care if the characters are black, white, brown, or green. Some of you people just complain about anything just to get let out noise.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 DaVillain  Moderator

After watching the interview from Ubisoft, I can say if they can get away and I mean far away from Ghost of Tsushima style, I'll be fine with that I'm thinking of giving this a shot as I'm always a sucker for anything with Feudal Japan games. That said, I knew there wouldn't be any gameplay as that's to be expected since Valhalla Reveal did the same thing, I'm very intrigued so far.

I don't care what anyone says, I have always been cool with Ubisoft games, guess both Assassins Creed: Shadows and Star Wars: Outlaws are two Ubi games to see how they'll play out. I wasn't interested at first but now I am.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 777 Posts

Lol, 6 feet tall is no different from a giant in feudal Japan.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#119  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

@last_lap said:

Just read through the rest of the thread, geez you really wonder with some people.

As for the game? Well there was no gameplay, so I can't judge it.

I will say I don't care if the characters are black, white, brown, or green. Some of you people just complain about anything just to get let out noise.

For a second i forgot about you being into these shit games😢

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Better than the old asre 360 graphics looking AC open world copycat Olden Ring from Kawasaki that you play 🤣🤣🤣

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1280 Posts

always online and 70 bucks. No thanks.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#122 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46650 Posts

@davillain said:

After watching the interview from Ubisoft, I can say if they can get away and I mean far away from Ghost of Tsushima style, I'll be fine with that I'm thinking of giving this a shot as I'm always a sucker for anything with Feudal Japan games. That said, I knew there wouldn't be any gameplay as that's to be expected since Valhalla Reveal did the same thing, I'm very intrigued so far.

I don't care what anyone says, I have always been cool with Ubisoft games, guess both Assassins Creed: Shadows and Star Wars: Outlaws are two Ubi games to see how they'll play out. I wasn't interested at first but now I am.

Video link of the interview? :)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#123  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34770 Posts

I like how no one talks about the actual game in favor of extremely dumb bullshit.

But I understand why. It's just the same shit with a different setting. Not much to talk about when it comes to AC. Just yet another one.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#124 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25060 Posts

@Litchie said:

I like how no one talks about the actual game in favor of extremely dumb bullshit.

But I understand why. It's just the same shit with a different setting. Not much to talk about when it comes to AC. Just yet another one.

Its RPG. so it will be like odyssey valhalla.

even worse than original AC concept.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Better than the old asre 360 graphics looking AC open world copycat Olden Ring from Kawasaki that you play 🤣🤣🤣

What did you just say to me, kid? It looks more magnificent than anything you've dreamt in your life.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

What did you just say to me, kid? It looks more magnificent than anything you've dreamt in your life.

Might have to change that from 360 era to original Xbox era, that looks horrendous 😮

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

Ubi gonna come with the excuses when this game doesn’t sell well. It’s on them for pandering with trying to rewrite real world people. I’m seeing a bunch of black people making videos that are pissed about this. When wokeness goes wrong. Don’t blame the fans Ubi! This L is on you!

“We had to let go of 1943 employees because we spent 200M making a game fans didn’t like and berated us about since we announced it. But it’s not our fault for not listening, it’s your fault, you should have just bought the game and rewarded us for our pandering.”

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#128 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70394 Posts

@nnoyinghusband: How is this game rewriting history?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 uninspiredcup

Next game should take place in Africa where everyone is black except the main character who looks exactly like Mel Gibson.

Loading Video...

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Saint-George  Online
Member since 2023 • 1409 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

DAMN...looks like a Mega drive Game..

OOF
OOF

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 DaVillain  Moderator

@R4gn4r0k said:
@davillain said:

Video link of the interview? :)

Loading Video...

Glad I watch this as this gives me peace of mind. I'm now on-board for Shadows.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46650 Posts

@davillain said:
Loading Video...

Glad I watch this as this gives me peace of mind. I'm now on-board for Shadows.

I'd love to play this game day one with my brother and share stories like we did for Valhalla, lol.

Vahalla truly was a continent spanning, decade spanning game and I loved it.

I'm a bit worried what Ubisoft will do with battle passes in this one. I fear they are taking away fun (like unlocking stuff) and putting them behind battle pass.

However, I thank you for this video and I will keep one eye on this game for sure.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Pedro

Some folks learn today that is better to get as much information on a topic before taking a position. But, like most lessons, this would repeat.😂

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By uninspiredcup

@gifford38 said:

yup another main character can't be a white male even a Japanese white guy.

white female and black male.

can't we just pic a Japanese white male and female.

they force the black guy in there.

pathetic how the older ass creed games was to follow history as they could and now force woke into it.

Assassins' Creed was never good.

This is a historical fact.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 DaVillain  Moderator

Great news and good update from Ubi:

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

Sounds like Syndicate with those characters. Hopefully it's not 100 hours long.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 hardwenzen

@saint-george said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

DAMN...looks like a Mega drive Game..

OOF
OOF

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

Glancing through this thread, I have to wonder when gamers got so fucking stupid. It's embarrassing.

Like seriously, the guy's Wikipedia article called him the first recorded foreign-born samurai until the trailer dropped, then someone edited the article and started a culture war about it.

Stop being such imbecilic children. It's a videogame. None of this fucking matters.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 uninspiredcup

He should have been played by Terry Crews.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#140 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16018 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

He should have been played by Terry Crews.

I honestly think had ubisoft paid for famous actor likeness the backlash probably minimal.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#141 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16018 Posts
@Planeforger said:

Glancing through this thread, I have to wonder when gamers got so fucking stupid. It's embarrassing.

Like seriously, the guy's Wikipedia article called him the first recorded foreign-born samurai until the trailer dropped, then someone edited the article and started a culture war about it.

Stop being such imbecilic children. It's a videogame. None of this fucking matters.

Even japanese hated the trailer its how absurd the situation is. The wiki untrustworthy as its on editing war as honestly, nobody could confirm historically what that dude really doing for Nobunaga Oda. Retainers can also be people you hire to work in your households i.e maids, cooks, cleaners, weapon bearer etc or even as foreign warriors, samurai.

Idk gamespot dont want to embed videos for some reason check the japanese trailer here~

https://youtu.be/lZN-kKoGevo?si=MC5KWkajuFDsVgQr

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 uninspiredcup

The gaming media is doubling down trying to normalize African American samurai'. IGN has went all out.

Crazy.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Pedro

@uninspiredcup: Normalize African American Samurai? What are you talking about?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 uninspiredcup

@Pedro said:

@uninspiredcup: Normalize African American Samurai? What are you talking about?

Exactly.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Pedro

👍

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 719 Posts

I am normally on the side of the anti woke, but this is interesting and historically appropriate. Even if he wasn't formally a samurai, he did perform the same role.

I think the idea of having the perspective of black outsider taking a look at medieval japan, if they do it in a nuanced and realistic manner, will be great.

I just hope it doesn't have blockbuster movie style writing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By uninspiredcup
@nirgal said:

I just hope it doesn't have blockbuster movie style writing.

Though do hate these takes "outsider perspective", people bending over backwards to make it come across as not dumb.

The reason they used and stuck him in there, is because someone with pink hair and a Resetera account told em' too. Someone mentally ill who shouldn't be in any form of power.

Dats the truth that I just made up.

This happened with Mary Queen Of Scots as well. I am from Scotland, you have more chance of seeing a UFO than a black guy. They exist, but incredibly rare. And raring still going back to that timeframe.

What I was watching is stupid and distracting. Doesn't mean hate black people or don't want them on screen, it means contextually, what I am looking at is dumb.

Overall, this game won't be good, it will be Ubisoft jangling keys and corrupt game media convincing dunces it isn't trash. IGN already shilling it for all they can.

But, let's not pretend this isn't dumb pandery shit where they are condensed black people down to a gimmick selling point.

If he acts like Black Dynamite might be worth playing or just watching on Youtube.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 719 Posts

@uninspiredcup: well if it's political and trying to push an agenda it will be ruined. Otherwise, it can actually be interesting.

After all, a guy from Africa, having dealt with slavery, travelling with Portuguese clergy through south and southeast Asia, and arriving to Japan to serve the original unifier of Japan after the Sengoku period seems really interesting.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By uninspiredcup

@nirgal said:

@uninspiredcup: well if it's political and trying to push an agenda it will be ruined. Otherwise, it can actually be interesting.

After all, a guy from Africa, having dealt with slavery, travelling with Portuguese clergy through south and southeast Asia, and arriving to Japan to serve the original unifier of Japan after the Sengoku period seems really interesting.

Trying to think of an Ubisoft story that had me hooked or at the very least interested, ignoring their golden years, when Tom Clancy was good, the closest thing that came to mind was Assassins' Creed III. (which isn't good game)

The opening section, I was genuinely invested in the story. This British asshole, who's actually da bad guy falling in love with the Indian lady.

And then we play passive-aggressive asshole man. And they have a shitty Darth Vader knockoff showdown, except not interesting.

Think the likelyhood of them not actually doing something cringe is probably non-existent. Most of their characters (esp Watchdogs) were a nightmare.

One thing won't Ubisoftcock on is their presentation. It's literally, imo, the only fucking reason to play, and positive thing about most of their games now.

Loading Video...

Even something as old as Ass Creed III still looks visually stunning.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 uninspiredcup

Actually give passive-aggressive asshole man a pass. Him being an asshole and acting the way he does makes sense.

The problem was that Haytham Kenway was so much better, and the first thing you do.