"Phill should RESIGN!" calls growing louder on Twitter. Do u agree?

• 135 results
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#101 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70154 Posts

@Naylord said:

To my memory, shuttering of Tango is the worst gaming atrocity done I can think of.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6551 Posts

@Naylord: Just one thing with your post, stating that Nintendo & Sony create a large collection of diverse ganes is BS and you know it.

Sony's games are all third person action adventure games, they're not diverse, and neither is Nintendo's Mario, Zelda, Pokemon copy and paste games. Diversity comes from third party and every platform has that, Nintendo being a little less so as third party games tend to skip the Switch unless it's Indies.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8331 Posts
@last_lap said:

@Naylord: Just one thing with your post, stating that Nintendo & Sony create a large collection of diverse ganes is BS and you know it.

Sony's games are all third person action adventure games, they're not diverse, and neither is Nintendo's Mario, Zelda, Pokemon copy and paste games. Diversity comes from third party and every platform has that, Nintendo being a little less so as third party games tend to skip the Switch unless it's Indies.

Nah Nintendo has the most diverse of the 3 consoles 1st party. MS second. SONY 3rd (it's really is mostly 3rd person action adventure games with sony.)

Wouldn't bring up Mario, Mario alone has probably the most diverse catalogs of game types. You got 2d Mario, you got 3d Mario, you got Mario party, Mario golf, Mario soccer, Mario Kart, Mario maker...

For real Mario alone with none of Nintendos other 1st party is more diverse than Sonys entire 1st party lol

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20169 Posts

@last_lap: I don’t think we’re disgreeing?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Last_Lap

@sargentd: Puting Mario in every game you make doesn't make Nintendo diverse, it's make them less diverse, let's make a kart game and put Mario in it, let's make a golf game and put Mario in it, etc, etc, etc.

It's not diverse it's whoring out your mascot that's what it is.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8299 Posts

Xbox would have been closed or sold off after the Xbox One launch if it wasn't for Phil Spencer..

But the toxicity against Xbox is so great that in a year where both PlayStation and Xbox had huge layoffs, it's time for Phil to go..

Is Xbox's marketing and messaging complete trash?.. Absolutely.. But this fake outrage in the gaming community over what has become a routine occurrence in the current gaming industry is unwarranted..

In a year where Xbox has 3~4 major 1st party releases and Playstation has nothing major from 1st party, it's Xbox that has to fire their leadership.. 🙄

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1128 Posts

@last_lap said:

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me, Sony *got* sucessful by being diverse past tense; now they just are coasting on inertia. Look at PS1/2/3 and you see an incredibly diverse lineup of games. PS4 was that diversity dying but still existing with bangers like Gravity Rush 2 and bloodborne, and that's enough for the brand to have power and momentum.

I'll totally concede that they are creately bankrupt now (well except for Returnal, that is a great game), but if MS wants to overthrow them, they need to create a catalogue that rivals the PS2 because that's the type of thing that breaks all barriers of platform inertia and causes everyone to just throw everything else in the garbage and switch to that platform.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3473 Posts

@Antwan3K: post Xbox One launch, I think it was part of Sony's strategy to abandon smaller games and go all in on very expensive AAAs with the intention of killing their competition.

With this they did great harm to gaming in general. All that investment didn't result in significant growth and absolutely decimated their creativity and diversity. Their fan base lives in the past, in denial that the PS4 times were considered failure by Sony strategists. If things were bleak when games were releasing on both PS4 and PS5, PS5 only AAAs seem like a mirage in the desert.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1917 Posts

@Naylord said:

Yeah I think so but he won't. To my memory, shuttering of Tango is the worst gaming atrocity done I can think of. Specifically when it's juxtaposed against their aquisition spending. There is no way it's acceptable to waste billions on aquisitions only to fail to spend a much smaller amount to keep a studio open and making games.

The strategy of it is also non-sensical. How can they be so daft to look at the solitary metrics of a game they themselves prevented sales of with their gamepass platform? Also, any platform, isn't succesful on one game, it's successful on a large array of games that causes people to say "you know what, these 10 games are enough I'm buying an xbox!". Historally Playstation and Nintendo succeeded when they created a large collection of diverse games and then the network effects from those took over from there. Hi-Fi rush is a perfect example of the *start* of something along those lines; but you can't do it with just one. They really really needed like 5 of these level of games to come out a year and then bam, they'd probably be able to beat Sony given they are slipping on output

Phil and Sarah and the rest should be ashamed. I hope they can't even go to a restauarant in peace without someone telling them to **** off of a staff spitting in their food.

I think Xbox isn't doing well at all tbh, but this is going too far. It's really not that serious.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1355 Posts

@Naylord:

"Phil and Sarah and the rest should be ashamed. I hope they can't even go to a restauarant in peace without someone telling them to **** off of a staff spitting in their food"

Have you tried the Sony burger?

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#111  Edited By firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4388 Posts

@Antwan3K said:

Xbox would have been closed or sold off after the Xbox One launch if it wasn't for Phil Spencer..

But the toxicity against Xbox is so great that in a year where both PlayStation and Xbox had huge layoffs, it's time for Phil to go..

Is Xbox's marketing and messaging complete trash?.. Absolutely.. But this fake outrage in the gaming community over what has become a routine occurrence in the current gaming industry is unwarranted..

In a year where Xbox has 3~4 major 1st party releases and Playstation has nothing major from 1st party, it's Xbox that has to fire their leadership.. 🙄

it going to a point.

threats,vailed threats are getting a pass now on forums,fb,reddit.

this is not ok.

or to put it another way.

Tribalism has gotten so bad now.

where people have turn (going to use refs) union into a religion (where if am in one its not a crime) to destroy a company product stock, to black mail is total legal in a union, certain yt channels you cant say a single word bad... other wise death threats will come at you.......

people really dont like you challenging their tribalism echo chamber now online.

gaming and yt fan bases are so toxic now it makes political forums etc look nicer some how(really mess up)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44420 Posts

@Naylord: WTF? You want them to be harassed and to have their food spit in? That’s seriously messed up. 🤦‍♂️

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 GirlUSoCrazy  Online
Member since 2015 • 1164 Posts

If someone doesn't like something, they don't have to go on a crusade. Just on a personal level don't engage with it and don't support it. It's an entertainment pastime. Cruel treatment isn't an appropriate way to convey criticism.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#114  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12351 Posts

@Antwan3K:

It's because Xbox, with the help of gaming journalists and influencers, have painted themselves as this white knight of gaming under Phil's tenure.

People didn't believe "good guy" Phil would ever chop down a studio after a successful release. Heck, Hi-Fi Rush is arguably their best new IP and game in *years*. It just completely tears down people's expectations of Phil and team.

Sony, on the other hand, hasn't been as heavily criticized because they've been delivering on their promise of best in class games and they don't shy away from the fact that they are in the money making business.

Also, "no major first party releases" isn't a big deal when they've helped release games like Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Helldivers 2. I'm pretty sure everyone on Steam at this point considers Helldivers 2 a Sony game for better and for worse. lol

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#115 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9736 Posts

Yup, Phil should resign or be fired.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22865 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

@Naylord: WTF? You want them to be harassed and to have their food spit in? That’s seriously messed up. 🤦‍♂️

Fanboys mean business.... They have to prove to their corporate overlords that they are loyal to the plastic box....

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#117  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts

Xbox better have something to show for the studio closures, but with the Hellblade sequel just days away and Microsoft's event scheduled a couple weeks after, I'm going to wait until we see what the future of Xbox holds before becoming overly reactionary over latest developments.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1128 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Fanboys mean business.... They have to prove to their corporate overlords that they are loyal to the plastic box....

I don't have loyalty to any particular box. I just love video games. Tango was a good studio and Hifi rush is a great game and it's not okay for people's lives to be ruined when they make a great product like that. These executive types get to ruin lives and experience wonderful lives due to their incredible compensation. It isn't fair. They should experience some mild harm so they maybe think twice before ruining peoples lives over some malformed KPIs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44420 Posts

@Naylord: That’s some messed up thinking you got there. I liked The Evil Within and Hi-Fi Rush as well and am sad to see them go but I would never wish for others to be harassed and their food to be spat in.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Pedro

@Naylord said:

I don't have loyalty to any particular box. I just love video games. Tango was a good studio and Hifi rush is a great game and it's not okay for people's lives to be ruined when they make a great product like that. These executive types get to ruin lives and experience wonderful lives due to their incredible compensation. It isn't fair. They should experience some mild harm so they maybe think twice before ruining peoples lives over some malformed KPIs.

Sometimes you folks forget that employment is not an entitlement. If an employer doesn't have any need for the employee, they have the right to let them go. It is really that simple. They were compensated for their work and now the person who paid them wages no longer wants to continue with the arrangement. Imagine someone saying harm should come to you because you no longer need the services of a company or individual.🤔

Remember folks, the people who develop or publish games are businesses and like all other business whether you are agree with their methods or not, will nearly always put the well being of the business ahead of people.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Last_Lap

@Nonstop-Madness said:

@Antwan3K:

It's because Xbox, with the help of gaming journalists and influencers, have painted themselves as this white knight of gaming under Phil's tenure.

People didn't believe "good guy" Phil would ever chop down a studio after a successful release. Heck, Hi-Fi Rush is arguably their best new IP and game in *years*. It just completely tears down people's expectations of Phil and team.

Sony, on the other hand, hasn't been as heavily criticized because they've been delivering on their promise of best in class games and they don't shy away from the fact that they are in the money making business.

Also, "no major first party releases" isn't a big deal when they've helped release games like Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade and Helldivers 2. I'm pretty sure everyone on Steam at this point considers Helldivers 2 a Sony game for better and for worse. lol

So, Sony deliver best in class games, but no first party isn't a big deal, which is it?

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22865 Posts

@Naylord said:
@TheEroica said:
@Archangel3371 said:

No they should not face mild harm. You simply vote with your wallet. If they choose to destroy the industry with poor choices you don't need to take part. Spitting in people's food is low brow... Saying "I told you so" when they destroy their own business is much more appropriate.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Nonstop-Madness
@last_lap said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

@Antwan3K:

So, Sony deliver best in class games, but no first party isn't a big deal, which is it?

no *major* first party games.

And this is such a tiresome argument. You know it can be both, right? It's baffling that people still don't get it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44222 Posts

Simple facts...

If cows thought Phil was bad for Xbox; Phil would be their biggest hero instead of wanting him fired. ;o

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8299 Posts

@last_lap said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:

@Antwan3K:

whichever fits the narrative of the day while also ignoring the double standard..

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Last_Lap

@Nonstop-Madness: C'mon now. Name me one first party Sony release that isn't major?

And Sony having no first party releases "major" or not for around 18 months is a massive deal.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Nonstop-Madness

@last_lap said:

@Nonstop-Madness: C'mon now. Name me one first party Sony release that isn't major?

And Sony having no first party releases "major" or not for around 18 months is a massive deal.

Sony has said they consider major releases to be games like GoW, Spider-Man, and The Last of Us.

They do not consider games like Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin or Concord to be major releases.

---

And is it really a massive deal? Sony never considered Helldivers 2 a "major" release and yet it sold 12m copies in 3 months. I understand not every game will be a Helldivers 2 but, there are games in the pipeline for FY24. They just aren't the tentpole franchises from their top tier studios.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2088 Posts

I don't see why, Phil et al over at MS successfully navigated a couple major mergers and as we come into the next holiday season are poised to post huge numbers off the back of those acquisitions. You have a full COD release due free of any Sony obligations, you have already had a spike in the fallout IP, we have summer games fest in a few weeks which will likely show what Bethesda have been doing with Starfield I wouldn't be surprised to see news on console mod support and the mod tools as well which will certainly cause an uptick there, now personally I think starfield should be full multiplat but regardless of that MS are likely to post big software numbers as we come into the back half of the year. This is all without even mentioning MS efforts into mobile which really doesn't interest me.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6959 Posts

Which corporate suit is in charge is irrelevant in all of these companies and wearing jeans and a leather jacket doesn't change the basics of corporate culture.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2958 Posts

I guess he is fine, so he can stay. He is the father of gamepass, which I enjoy very much. He is a 100 times better than Don Mattrick. Has any top leaders in Microsoft ever expressed discontent with Phil?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Pedro

@pmanden said:

I guess he is fine, so he can stay. He is the father of gamepass, which I enjoy very much. He is a 100 times better than Don Mattrick. Has any top leaders in Microsoft ever expressed discontent with Phil?

Not publicly but the fans get the last word on his fate no?😂

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 412 Posts

I like Spencer, and I think XBOX was right to reverse course on the Kinect and always-online requirements with the XBOX One.

That said...... What in the world happened?

It's been failure after failure, with the occasioanal gem like Hi-Fi Rush, Psychonauts 2 or Battletoads sprinkled in. Halo Infinite had its moments but mostly bombed. And despite buying all of these developers.... what does Microsoft have to show for it

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Last_Lap

@Nonstop-Madness said:
@last_lap said:

Sony has said they consider major releases to be games like GoW, Spider-Man, and The Last of Us.

They do not consider games like Helldivers 2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin or Concord to be major releases.

---

And is it really a massive deal? Sony never considered Helldivers 2 a "major" release and yet it sold 12m copies in 3 months. I understand not every game will be a Helldivers 2 but, there are games in the pipeline for FY24. They just aren't the tentpole franchises from their top tier studios.

You seem to be confused, as Helldivers, Rise of the Ronin & Stellar Blade are NOT first party releases, those games are all made by THIRD PARTY developers, not first party. Just because Sony moneyhats these games doesn't make them first party releases, heck SB announcement trailer had an Xbox logo at the end of it lol.

Once you understand that then maybe you will understand that games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Gran Turismo, Days Gone etc were all major FIRST PARTY AAA releases because they come from Sony and its devs. And Sony has not first party release from its devs until next year and that's the gaas game from Bungie, and Sony has announced NOTHING else.

And you sit there and say its no big deal that Sony's first party devs are not releasing any games, talk about being in denial.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2958 Posts
@Pedro said:
@pmanden said:

Not publicly but the fans get the last word on his fate no?😂

Well, "fans" are often full of haters. In the end, I think Microsoft's top leaders and stockholders want to see profit and growth. I doubt they have time to listen to cows and other biased people about how Phil is.

Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Nonstop-Madness
@last_lap said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:
@last_lap said:

---

You seem to be confused, as Helldivers, Rise of the Ronin & Stellar Blade are NOT first party releases, those games are all made by THIRD PARTY developers, not first party. Just because Sony moneyhats these games doesn't make them first party releases, heck SB announcement trailer had an Xbox logo at the end of it lol.

Once you understand that then maybe you will understand that games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Gran Turismo, Days Gone etc were all major FIRST PARTY AAA releases because they come from Sony and its devs. And Sony has not first party release from its devs until next year and that's the gaas game from Bungie, and Sony has announced NOTHING else.

And you sit there and say its no big deal that Sony's first party devs are not releasing any games, talk about being in denial.

Sony defines those games as first party games. Regardless of whether or not we agree on that, it provides *context* to their statement. So again, to answer your question, they do not consider the games I listed as part of that statement whether they are "first party" games or not. You can take that as you like.

Okay, back to your initial question and the crux of your issue - "Sony deliver best in class games, but no first party isn't a big deal".

The answer is ... games published by Sony. It's such a provocative yet simple answer to so many questions.

Does it truly matter that Helldivers 2 isn't developed by one of PlayStation's internal studios when the game is sold to you as a Sony / PlayStation game?

You buy the game published by Sony. You boot up the game and are presented with a Sony and PlayStation Studios introduction video. You are asked to log into your PlayStation Network account. The community managers of the game refer you to Sony regarding your complaints. It's perception.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. lol

So yeah, it's a best-in-class game once again delivered by Sony and, sure, it's not a first party game. Both can be true.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Last_Lap

@Nonstop-Madness said:
@last_lap said:
@Nonstop-Madness said:
@last_lap said:

---

Sony defines those games as first party games. Regardless of whether or not we agree on that, it provides *context* to their statement. So again, to answer your question, they do not consider the games I listed as part of that statement whether they are "first party" games or not. You can take that as you like.

Okay, back to your initial question and the crux of your issue - "Sony deliver best in class games, but no first party isn't a big deal".

The answer is ... games published by Sony. It's such a provocative yet simple answer to so many questions.

Does it truly matter that Helldivers 2 isn't developed by one of PlayStation's internal studios when the game is sold to you as a Sony / PlayStation game?

You buy the game published by Sony. You boot up the game and are presented with a Sony and PlayStation Studios introduction video. You are asked to log into your PlayStation Network account. The community managers of the game refer you to Sony regarding your complaints. It's perception.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. lol

So yeah, it's a best-in-class game once again delivered by Sony and, sure, it's not a first party game. Both can be true.

Sony money hatted those games, they bought the IP's not the studios, so Sony has to rely on third party devs to pad its release schedule, that is a fact. Sony has nothing on its first party schedule until mid next year and that's a gaas game, but, but no big first party no big deal lol.

You cows didn't buy a PS5 for third party devs/games that is also a fact, you bought it for Sony's own devs games, that is clear because cows parade Sony's first party games on here all the time with metashitic scores and sales. In the end you're just damage controlling by saying no first party isn't a big deal as we all know first party games are the biggest deal in the choice of what console you buy.