Microsoft Survey Hints at an Xbox Handheld....

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22794 Posts

https://twistedvoxel.com/survey-further-hints-development-of-xbox-handheld/

Happy days System Wars! What do you make of Microsoft possibly entering the PC handheld market? Personally, I'm all for it, especially if they can optimize windows for the experience. I'd love to also have access to my steam library as accessibility is all that really matters to me for my gaming interests.

I'll go one step further and say Microsoft should just make a handheld. Lol... Let pc be the home of Xbox and make a killer handheld option that has strong enough inwards to stay generation relevant... Basically series S on your hands. I'd by that thrice-over before another console of any manufacturer.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44331 Posts

I’d definitely be interested in one.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39270 Posts

Of course they're making one, and Sony will have one as well. The S should've been a handheld, not an Xbone with a better cpu and ssd.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheEroica  Moderator

@hardwenzen said:

Of course they're making one, and Sony will have one as well. The S should've been a handheld, not an Xbone with a better cpu and ssd.

It's because steam made the best handheld in history and everyone wants a piece of that pie.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hardwenzen

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

It's because steam made the best handheld in history and everyone wants a piece of that pie.

And the fact that its taking sony and ms this long is ridiculous. They could've stole so much $$$ from Nintendo if they released theirs in 2020 by the latest.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheEroica  Moderator

@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

And the fact that its taking sony and ms this long is ridiculous. They could've stole so much $$$ from Nintendo if they released theirs in 2020 by the latest.

Cmon man, Sony gave all you advanced cows the ps portal.... (lol)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardwenzen

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Cmon man, Sony gave all you advanced cows the ps portal.... (lol)

As i said so many times, if they create another system, the system must support everything that's coming to their main console. If they do this, it will be successful, and if they don't, it will die.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1257 Posts

Think they should've launched a handheld xbox one by now and followed up with a handheld Series S in like 2026 (or whenever the tech get's there)

I'll likely end up getting one eventually.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2559 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Strange thing to credit Steam for. What motivated Steam to make a handheld/PC hybrid??? 🤔🤔🤔

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56243 Posts

Xbox Handheld + Halo = Halo DS is back everyone!

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17844 Posts

Hopefully they do a great job. I wonder if it will be an xbox handheld that runs Xbox games on the Xbox os or will it be more a MS Surface handheld with Windows?

If it's the latter then they will really need to work on the UI for a handheld. Bring back the Windows 8 tiles...or xbox 360 blades!!! But yeah, as it currently stands Windows is pretty poor for handhelds from a usability point of view. ASUS, MSI and co would also love it if the UI had a handheld mode.

I just wonder if they are a bit too late now though. It's going to be a very red ocean by the time they release. What will they do to make themselves stand out? But, as I say, I wish them the best. I hope it's great.

Personally i'm unlikely to get it though as I'm all handheld'd out now. I have the deck, a 3DS, a Funkey S, a Switch and an RG35XX H is on the way. That's enough. Any more and the Consoom subreddit will be onto me :P. It would need to be something pretty special to tempt me.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8187 Posts

maybe this is what the rumors of a Steam Store (in addition to the Micrsoft Store) on Xbox hardware was all about.. 🤔 i'd be curious to see if Sony would/could try to block access to their PC titles on such a device..

at any rate, i'm defiitely interested in what an Xbox and PlayStation handheld/hybrid would look like in terms of specs and price..

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8491 Posts

Valve setting the trend again!

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@ghostofgolden: I didn't mention anything about what inspired steam deck or give it undo credit. It's the best handheld ever made. Vastly more powerful, customizable and with a much better library than switch. Switch is a great handheld, but it's not an open platform, it has an ungodly bad e store by comparison and you have to pay to game online.... Steam deck is better.... And it isn't even close. Animal crossing can't save it.

Do you still say the atari is the best console of all time because it was first to market? Or do you think because better consoles have come out since, we should say something else was better?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44618 Posts

I'd rather get a third party device that local streams to consoles I can use on both my PS and Xbox consoles.

If it's a work around to being able to play PS console exclusives in a portal PC way then perhaps I might bite.

Anyhow, better have sturdy analogs.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#16  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69907 Posts

The Series S may have made the transition easier and near automatic.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator

@Pedro said:

The Series S may have made the transition easier and neat automatic.

I'd love to have an optimized series S handheld.... Sweet!

FastNslowww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FastNslowww
Member since 2024 • 24 Posts

Would be nice...but how different can it be from it's rivals?......the market is kinda saturated with PC handhelds atm, so it's tough...but if MS believe in it and can produce something good then i'm not complaining.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@fastnslowww said:

Would be nice...but how different can it be from it's rivals?......the market is kinda saturated with PC handhelds atm, so it's tough...but if MS believe in it and can produce something good then i'm not complaining.

The problem right now with those pc handhelds is they aren't optimized for gaming. They're pcs with video game interfaces.... Steam deck has the benefit of their steam UI that makes the deck far more approachable and user friendly... Especially for those console gamers who don't want to fuss with a ton of settings or struggle loading up a game.

If Microsoft can create a similar PC handheld that has an optimized version of Windows running on it, you can bet there would be a ton of interest!

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6326 Posts

@TheEroica: Great joke about Steam making the best handheld in history 🤣🤣🤣

On topic, as for MS making a handheld, well I won't be buying it that's fir sure.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1886 Posts

@ghostofgolden said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

Strange thing to credit Steam for. What motivated Steam to make a handheld/PC hybrid??? 🤔🤔🤔

A lot of hardcore Steam fanboys dislike Nintendo. It's to the point where they'll praise anyone but Nintendo, for doing practically anything.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1886 Posts

Hardcore gamers aren't a lucrative market. The market of hardcore gamers is stagnant, so of course they want in on that handheld market (and possibly other mobile gamers).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen

@luxuryheart said:
@ghostofgolden said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

A lot of hardcore Steam fanboys dislike Nintendo. It's to the point where they'll praise anyone but Nintendo, for doing practically anything.

The reality is, Nintendo gave them the idea, but its the Steam Deck that green lit all other companies to create their own version of a handheld.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

Neither Valve or Nintendo invented handheld devices. Nintendo popularize handheld for consoles. Valve popularize handhelds for PC. It is really that simple.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2559 Posts

@luxuryheart said:

Hardcore gamers aren't a lucrative market. The market of hardcore gamers is stagnant, so of course they want in on that handheld market (and possibly other mobile gamers).

“Hardcore” gamers like the “hardcore” gamers on this board don’t spend any money. Casuals in middle school outspend them.

Gabe took a huge gamble here with the Steam Deck. Nintendos wild success with the Switch made the decision easier. But Steam has struck out trying to break into gaming hardware before.

@luxuryheart said:

Yeah, I know this is a thing. And TC hasn’t been very Nintendo friendly in the past. Funny to see, “It's because steam made the best handheld in history and everyone wants a piece of that pie.” It’s not Steams Pie to be handing out slices! 😂🤣

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@luxuryheart said:
@ghostofgolden said:
@TheEroica said:
@hardwenzen said:

I love Nintendo... Have since the NES launched. Switch was a fantastic design that thrust us into today's handheld scene... Steam deck is a better handheld because it can do more, play more games and has a lot of flexibility.

Me saying steam deck is the best handheld ever made isn't a slight against Nintendo. It's just that steam deck is better...because it objectively is. Nintendo has way better optimization though. Even with steams ui there's some tinkering.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@TheEroica: It is funny reading folks claiming you are a Nintendo hater when you have been pushing the Switch like a dealer prior to the Steamdeck.😂

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@Pedro said:

@TheEroica: It is funny reading folks claiming you are a Nintendo hater when you have been pushing the Switch like a dealer prior to the Steamdeck.😂

Whats even more insane is suggesting I bow down to Nintendo and kiss the ring when there's better technology on the market. How silly. I never even brought up Nintendo!

Perhaps Switchs successor is going to reclaim the throne...? Maybe Nintendo has something great planned. I'll be rooting for them, and if so. Ill buy it. I'm just not gonna spin yarns for a ten year old handheld that quite honestly Steam Deck curb stomps in nearly every available metric (including games) outside of battery life and user friendliness. It's scrub talk.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

I mean they have a deal with ROG Ally which is why they showed it, and I'm not so sure this means they will make their own, but if it does that's cool too. I would eventually like to upgrade my Ally, and that would be about the only way I ever buy another Xbox console... but if people want one so bad now then just get the Ally... it already exists.. lol.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

Would such a Xbox handheld exist or with it be vaporware like the Phantom? If anyone is unaware, the Phantom was a console that was hyped more than 20 years ago, but never went to market.

FastNslowww

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FastNslowww
Member since 2024 • 24 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@fastnslowww said:

The problem right now with those pc handhelds is they aren't optimized for gaming. They're pcs with video game interfaces.... Steam deck has the benefit of their steam UI that makes the deck far more approachable and user friendly... Especially for those console gamers who don't want to fuss with a ton of settings or struggle loading up a game.

If Microsoft can create a similar PC handheld that has an optimized version of Windows running on it, you can bet there would be a ton of interest!

Good point.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

I'd be down for an Xbox handheld. Bring it on.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34689 Posts

That'd be pretty cool. Competition might make Nintendo improve. 👍

@Pedro said:

I've seen people call Eroica a MS hater, a MS shill, a Nintendo fanboy, a Nintendo hater, a PC elitist, a Sony hater.. am I forgetting something?

I myself have been called an Xbox fanboy several times. I've never owned an Xbox in my life and don't like MS much.

People around here are smart.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator

@Litchie said:

That'd be pretty cool. Competition might make Nintendo improve. 👍

@Pedro said:

I've seen people call Eroica a MS hater, a MS shill, a Nintendo fanboy, a Nintendo hater, a PC elitist, a Sony hater.. am I forgetting something?

I myself have been called an Xbox fanboy several times. I've never owned an Xbox in my life and don't like MS much.

People around here are smart.

😂

Just for the record I hate everyone's favorite plastic boxes... 😁