Proper talk about the " can we agree threads".

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

How does posting "can we agree violate TOS?"

Why can't I post about my opinion about the Wii U when the whole board is an opinion piece?

@Wasdie@blue_hazy_basic

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I'm just going to post what I posted before in System Wars and we're going to leave it at that.

The problem is that the whole "can we agree on X" is a pretty low-effort, opinion-style post that implies the OP's opinion is somehow superior. The tone is generally "I'm going to tell you why X is good and you better agree" rather than "I think X is good and I want to discuss why". The latter is a lot more open for discussion but takes a bit more effort to start and sustain.

I don't like low-effort posts. I know the old standing policy of "System Wars is not your blog", but in reality this entire board skirts the line of just being a public soapbox. So please put at least a little effort into your posts. I don't care if you guys disagree and throw around some shit at each other, but at least try to both support your opinion in a non-condescending way and be open to discussion and differing opinions. Don't just try to win every fight. This entire board is a board of clashing opinions, nobody is really right or wrong and you really won't convince anybody online.

Wasdie

All of the boards here are governed both by the ToS and how us as the moderators and the Gamespot Staff want each board to be run. A lot of that is up to the discretion of the moderation staff.

As for your WiiU thread, it was very low effort. Yes, System Wars is a board of opinions, but at least try a little more than a few skimpy lines of why you think the WiiU was the best. Also your own history in System Wars is not one of two-way discussion of a topic. Rather you seem to prefer to just make statements and argue with anybody who disagrees. You're not receptive to the fact that other people have other opinions. Your WiiU thread was starting out exactly like this. You were making a statement, not really opening up the topic for discussion, and was banking on hostile replies to you.

In the future make your case as to why you believe your opinion by putting forth some effort. Once your case has been made, simply respond to those who challenge you with your opinions and any data to back it up (if applicable). Don't attack them personally, don't try to change the subject, don't strawman or resort to other fallacies, and accept the fact that you're not going to be winning people over to your point of view within the limited time the thread is active.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD

@Wasdie said:

I'm just going to post what I posted before in System Wars and we're going to leave it at that.

The problem is that the whole "can we agree on X" is a pretty low-effort, opinion-style post that implies the OP's opinion is somehow superior. The tone is generally "I'm going to tell you why X is good and you better agree" rather than "I think X is good and I want to discuss why". The latter is a lot more open for discussion but takes a bit more effort to start and sustain.

I don't like low-effort posts. I know the old standing policy of "System Wars is not your blog", but in reality this entire board skirts the line of just being a public soapbox. So please put at least a little effort into your posts. I don't care if you guys disagree and throw around some shit at each other, but at least try to both support your opinion in a non-condescending way and be open to discussion and differing opinions. Don't just try to win every fight. This entire board is a board of clashing opinions, nobody is really right or wrong and you really won't convince anybody online.

Wasdie

All of the boards here are governed both by the ToS and how us as the moderators and the Gamespot Staff want each board to be run. A lot of that is up to the discretion of the moderation staff.

As for your WiiU thread, it was very low effort. Yes, System Wars is a board of opinions, but at least try a little more than a few skimpy lines of why you think the WiiU was the best. Also your own history in System Wars is not one of two-way discussion of a topic. Rather you seem to prefer to just make statements and argue with anybody who disagrees. You're not receptive to the fact that other people have other opinions. Your WiiU thread was starting out exactly like this. You were making a statement, not really opening up the topic for discussion, and was banking on hostile replies to you.

In the future make your case as to why you believe your opinion by putting forth some effort. Once your case has been made, simply respond to those who challenge you with your opinions and any data to back it up (if applicable). Don't attack them personally, don't try to change the subject, don't strawman or resort to other fallacies, and accept the fact that you're not going to be winning people over to your point of view within the limited time the thread is active.

Ok fair enough. I'll try to be a little more open minded when posted. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By N64DD

@Wasdie You can close this. We've reached an understanding.