Gamespot wastes time reviewing old Nintendo / Xbox aracde games. Not important!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

Forgive me for saying this, but I really think it needs to be told, even if for the millionth time.  You are wasting time reviewing the retro Nintendo (Wii) and Xbox virtual arcade games!

Stupid!  Those games are 15-20+ years old.  They are for nostalgia only.   Why even bother to take the time to review such dated games.   You think a tacked on  multiplayer element, and sligthly updated graphics are even worth mentioning?  

Even if some of those games are still fun, the main purpose of this site is to inform us of NEW stuff.  Previews and reviews of all new games.  Every time I see a new review going up for the old Nintendo, Xbox arcade stuff- I keep thinking what other great previews or news on upcoming games I could have read instead.  

This is another reason Gamespot's starting to slide.  That's too bad.

alpha99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 alpha99
Member since 2003 • 380 Posts
I think they review them because the Virtual Console and Xbox Live Arcade games cost MONEY and to be honest some of those old games, have nothing but nostalgia left, because they sucked then and they still suck now. You want to know what is worth spending your money on.

Also, many people who bought a Wii or a 360, may never even heard of half of these games, so a little bit of info can't hurt, besides it's not like they spend time writing a 3 page review on them, it's usally just a few paragraphs.
spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
It would be a giant blunder to leave those games out of the review process and have every other gaming publication/website cover them...You're claims are totally unfounded and wrong, I'm sorry.
tyployt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 tyployt
Member since 2004 • 3545 Posts
I think they review them because the Virtual Console and Xbox Live Arcade games cost MONEY and to be honest some of those old games, have nothing but nostalgia left, because they sucked then and they still suck now. You want to know what is worth spending your money on.

Also, many people who bought a Wii or a 360, may never even heard of half of these games, so a little bit of info can't hurt, besides it's not like they spend time writing a 3 page review on them, it's usally just a few paragraphs.
alpha99
This guy's right. They review them because they cost money, and people would like to know which ones are good, and which are bad. It doesn't matter how old the games are, they are games, and they're available to buy, so Gamespot will continue to review them.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
It would be a giant blunder to leave those games out of the review process and have every other gaming publication/website cover them....spazzx625
That is true with Live Arcade but not PSS(Playstation Store) or VC games....yet. That is the main reason I won't add those games to GR. Not enough reviews webwide yet.

Getting back on topic. If I were paying for downloadable titles (like you pay for games) I would want to know if it was worth the money. Moreso the VC games cause they cost more than Live Arcade titles on the whole.
OhhSnap50893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 OhhSnap50893
Member since 2006 • 27110 Posts
They're definately not wasting there time reviewing them. I love seeing what Gamespot thinks of the classics, and it helps us in our decision of whether or not we're going to buy whatever game.
Avatar image for Earth_Rave-XIII
Earth_Rave-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Earth_Rave-XIII
Member since 2004 • 2946 Posts
They're definately not wasting there time reviewing them. I love seeing what Gamespot thinks of the classics, and it helps us in our decision of whether or not we're going to buy whatever game.OhhSnap50893
I agree. I would be interested to see what they would rate Super Metroid or Secret of Mana now for example.
Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts
GameSpot reviews are, above all else, a buyer's guide. They exist to help potential purchasers determine whether the game is worth their money, whether it costs 6 dollars or 60 dollars. Furthermore, many of those titles are original games, not exact emulations of classic games. In cases where the game is a classic, most of these games add extra features, such as online play, leaderboards, or updated graphics. Reviews of these games are important to many users and constitute a major retail market. It's only fitting that we help our readers determine whether or not they are worth their well-earned coin.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I’m glad they do review them. In a few cases I planned to buy a few tittles only to find some important info in the review that thankfully made me hang onto my dough.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts

What are you talking about?

Those reviews are great! It gives me info if the game is still good or bad.

GameSpot saved me $8 on their review for Ecco the Dolphin! I remember that game being great, but now I realised how bad that game is today.

LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
How long do you believe it takes to review these games? Not long because they are short, so no real time is lost. How well a game is emulated and improved is important to the consumers. I haven't noticed any lack of previews/reviews due to them reviewing retro games. Some of the Xbox Live Arcade games are new too.
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts

I’m glad they do review them. In a few cases I planned to buy a few tittles only to find some important info in the review that thankfully made me hang onto my dough.duxup

I completely agree. I have been so close to buying some games and decided against it. I thank GameSpot for reviewing these games because the reviews do help people stay away from bad games and help them make the right choices.

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Im gald GS still cars about the old games b/c I play them a lot and read thier reviews from time to time when IM going to buy a new game.