Anybody else still buy physical games?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Anybody else still buy physical games? I game both on PC and console so the only physical games I can buy now are on my PS4 everything on PC is digital. The last physical game I got was Lost Judgement at Best Buy it was pretty depressing they didn't even have the game out on the shelves and I picked it up the day after it released. I had to ask a worker if they had it in stock and they had to go to the back to get it. I couldn't even get a little pleasure of seeing the game on the shelf and picking it up god I hate modern times. It's sad seeing physical games being a afterthought.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 708 Posts

I travel too often. I just don't have anywhere to store them. I would like to collect them like when i was a kid, but i cant anymore.

Now all of my purchases are heavily discounted steam games.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58434 Posts

I literally have not bought a physical copy of a game since 2004 or whenever Steam came out.

*actually that's not true, I did stand in line for the midnight release of WoW: Wrath of the Lich King. It was fun because my best friend and I played it together and we wanted to play it early lol. Kind of a waste in hindsight but we were sipping on big gulps of rum and Coke and just hanging out with other WoW players, it was pretty fun haha.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I still buy 95% of my games physical.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15959 Posts

Yes. Nowadays I just buy collector edition or steelbook edition only of devs I like while the rest I wait for sales physical or digitally.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Absolutely. Was exclusively digital only until a few years ago though...funnily enough.

I think what changed for me is that I missed owning favourites physically. I'm not one for collector's editions...but, I just wanted to be able to look at an assortment of titles on the shelf and think: "Yeah, all this stuff is great."

In the back of my mind too, when I was primarily buying digital titles, I never got that sense of true ownership. There's a lot of people that can buy a game digitally for the experience and be done with it, sure. But there's a ton of sentimental value with owning a physical copy.

That's my two cents at least. :)

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

I buy entirely digital. There's little point to physical besides some old fashioned nostalgia and the belief people will sell their games later to recoup some of the costs. I personally wouldn't sell any game in my collection so it's moot. Every console I own currently no longer uses physical media, and that even includes my NES, SNES, and Genesis all of which have flash carts, while later consoles have optical drive emulators or run games off SSD (like my OG Xbox).

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1352 Posts

I do a bit of both, I do prefer physical though. Digital is just convenient if I can’t make a trip to the store or they don’t have the game im looking for.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

Only for console, because my new pc does not even have optical drive anymore. I could buy external one, but why the hassle.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34701 Posts

Just Nintendo games. Can't really explain why. Just feels better. They also cost less than digital where I live, for some very fucked up reason. Got Metroid Dread for 10 bucks less than it is on the eshop.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56284 Posts

Just Nintendo Switch games are the only thing I still buy physical and games like those on my PS4, I went total digital since the start of this gen and PC ultimate digital and my last PC physical purchase was Diablo 3. Digital gaming just makes my gaming life easier.

Sorry but I don't miss physical gaming due to limited storage I have within my house area and just makes a clutter of mess if I pile up physical games again and believe me, I was a pro on physical games until the 8th-gen came and went digital.

One thing I'm NOT on-board is cloud gaming and digital is one thing but streaming games isn't on my mind and I'm glad cloud gaming is optional cause no way this is gonna be permanent for gaming.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Given the option and it isn't tied to Limited Run, I'll always go physical. If the game ends up great I can let my friends borrow the game and try it, and if the game is a stinker, easy to get some money back while its still in value.

For what it is worth I think P.C. handles digital as well as it possibly can at this point, not that we really had a choice in the matter. . Put GoG games on an external hard drive and it is very similar to owning a physical copy just without all the good graphics and fine case can provide.

On the physical note does anyone know if The Outer Wilds will get a complete physical edition now with the DLC is out?

I've been holding off the game because Limited Run copies have region lock for patches and DLC, I learned that the hard way with Bare Knuckle/ Streets of Rage 4.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

Yeah I definitely still like to get my games on a physical format whenever I can get it like that. My last couple of purchases were Tales of Arise for Xbox and Metroid Dread on Switch. I don’t get physical because I’m interested in reselling, I just enjoy having a nice large collection of games.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 740 Posts

Definitely. I prefer digital games, but I'm at a point in my life where I tend to wait for sales and it's usually the physical that goes cheaper first.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I buy digital on PC and Physical on consoles unless it's some crazy cheap sale. PC digital doesn't bother me because it's still an open market where storefronts compete in pricing to keep game prices competitive. I don't feel like consoles can do that with their walled gardens. I regularly find physical games on console for 10-20 bucks than it's digital storefront at full price, and those games are usually 3-4 years old. That's just way too much buying power for me to give up just for convenience's sake. Plus, I like loaning out games to my friends who wouldn't normally play a game I own.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

I have picked up three NES cartridges in the last month. I haven't purchased physical for current gen since Xmas of 2019.

Kizza_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kizza_Soze
Member since 2021 • 448 Posts

As a 47 yr old console gamer, I like everything games related physical...Movies being streamed & downloadable is one thing...but games are another & I always want physical copies....I know that it is going digital no matter how much I want it to stay..So I will just hold onto buying my disk versions as long as possible.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9412 Posts

Nah.

At this point physical releases should be made-to-order collector's editions and not distributed to retail stores. Just seems like a waste of material and supply-chain resources to ship around data (not even the latest rev at that point). It's a big, up-front cost that also comes with scheduling commitments that just don't seem to work well with modern game development.

I'd rather see the industry move away from physical releases and provide more QoL benefits like buying one license and being able to play the game anywhere, and methods for sharing the license with a friend. Gaming on consoles is still very much in the dark ages from my perspective (at least on Sony and Nintendo platforms).

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

I'm fully digital this generation I had a good run buying physical but it just isn't worth it to me now.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts

The only physical games I buy nowadays are ones that I want to keep in my collection... the last was Mario 3D All Stars on Switch.

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 447 Posts

I love physical. Over the course of the years though I have been buy heavily discounted digital.

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

Depends. If super cheap will buy digital, if game is important to me or something I want to play 20 years from now, I go with physical.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

I prefer physical and was nearly 100% physical but things have changed fast. Thanks to the pandemic and not really wanting to unnecessarily go out along with digital sales I haven't picked up a physical game since I grabbed Persona 5: The Royal & Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 on sale at Walmart like 6 months ago. I've bought plenty of games since then but they've all been digital and on sale. If I buy day one and pay full price, though, it has to be physical.

Edit: All of my digital games are beaten then deleted. There's no going back. Out of sight out of mind lol

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14817 Posts

No. Much more convenient and practical. Less space, generally cheaper. Great for people who have lots and lots of friends and family who aren't mooches and can afford their own games.

Againstcurent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Againstcurent
Member since 2021 • 147 Posts

Steam used to sell physical deluxe games a long time ago. Now it's all digital deluxe.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Wait....physical games still exist? That's weird.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4259 Posts

Not anymore. All my game purchases are digital.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10506 Posts
yes. playstation games, *sigh
yes. playstation games, *sigh
Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1128 Posts

Being able to lend games to my friends and return borrow games from them makes physical king. Plus it's fun to see it on the shelf, and if I want I can sell it too. I see no reason to ever give up that flexibility unless the price is WAY down.

BlargForToo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BlargForToo
Member since 2021 • 41 Posts

For games I'm REALLY looking forward to, or if I especially think the devs deserve my money, then I'll buy physical. But that's probably only 10-15% of the games I buy these days.. It's just so much easier to grab stuff on Steam or GOG sales! Then again I buy way more games on those sales then I'm likely to ever play..which drives the physical percentage down by a lot.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45329 Posts

I still love physical games but I also sell my games so that's a big part of it. Unless it's a game I really want to keep, I'll sell and then get it much cheaper digitally down the road.

Kizza_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kizza_Soze
Member since 2021 • 448 Posts

I also traded A LOT of PS4 games to put towards PS5 purchases...So digital kills that convenience.. my collection are digital coasters when I'm done with them. And the way they charge more than a retail physical copy for new digital games is bewildering to me & completely not of any worth. For instance Deathloop & FC6 are 2 of my most recent purchases....They both cost $79AU each at EB games doing price match with others stores, yet, digital only in store are both $99AU. Like WTF???

I just simply don't mind having to move 3-4 foot to switch a game out...I'll buy games I didn't really want at full price or aren't available in physical, so I do have a decent digital collection.....but physical is always better for me as a consumer, better for brick & mortar stores, etc, so I just prefer to play that way.

Avatar image for blackacezero777
blackacezero777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36 blackacezero777
Member since 2021 • 353 Posts

I buy both physical and digital, but I am warming up to digital due to the sales PSN has been having. I like collecting, and much of my purchases are when they are on sale.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

I still buy physical games for Switch, XB1 and PS4, but Series X (and when I get a PS5) is digital going forward.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#38 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70026 Posts

The only physical games I buy are Nintendo games only because their digital options are not flexible.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56284 Posts

@Pedro said:

The only physical games I buy are Nintendo games only because their digital options are not flexible.

Which is also a reason I'll never go digital on Nintendo. I'm okay purchasing Switch games on physical.

@RSM-HQ said:

Given the option and it isn't tied to Limited Run, I'll always go physical. If the game ends up great I can let my friends borrow the game and try it, and if the game is a stinker, easy to get some money back while its still in value.

For what it is worth I think P.C. handles digital as well as it possibly can at this point, not that we really had a choice in the matter. . Put GoG games on an external hard drive and it is very similar to owning a physical copy just without all the good graphics and fine case can provide.

On the physical note does anyone know if The Outer Wilds will get a complete physical edition now with the DLC is out?

I've been holding off the game because Limited Run copies have region lock for patches and DLC, I learned that the hard way with Bare Knuckle/ Streets of Rage 4.

Outer Wilds physical release PS4 I'll assume you meant for PS4 right? Cause there's also a Switch version of the game as well.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts
@davillain- said:

Outer Wilds physical release PS4 I'll assume you meant for PS4 right? Cause there's also a Switch version of the game as well.

Thank you for the link though I believe considering it's a year old link you gave, similar to the Limited Run version, so not the complete package of the game. I was more hoping for a GOTY edition with all the bells and whistles; such a physical version however probably doesn't exist. . yet.

From what I know about the game too much was sacrificed to get The Outer Wilds to run on Nintendo Switch. Switches lod rendering apparently takes a lot out the experience. And considering the game wants players to learn from visual representation, this is an essential feature to get right.

Outer Wilds isn't that demanding from what I've read, but the Switch version is not a good option given the choice.

Bajonsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bajonsan
Member since 2021 • 14 Posts

I buy physical whenever it's an option, including stuff like Limited Run Games. It's not just the physical game that I like - in fact, it can be a bit annoying to swap out carts and discs - it's the functional ownership that goes along with it. No matter what the stupid EULA says, I do, in fact and in practice, own my physical games.

Digital games, unless they're DRM-free, inherently restrict my ownership rights. I'm not willing to effectively give up my rights for convenience, if I have a choice.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

I do. I buy them physical I like owning a hard copy.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

I do. I buy them physical I like owning a hard copy.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44632 Posts

I do most my gaming on Xbox and I am entirely digital on that from XB1 onward. I still do physical for PS and Nintenso devices, mostly out of lack of confidence in the online infrastructure with regards to rights retention.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#45 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

I still buy physical games (last time I bought one was G.I. Joe Operation Blackout this past summer). But, digital games aren't so bad either. You never know what can happen in real life & this pandemic is an good example. Assassin's Creed Unity is the game I'll be getting before the sale goes away later this month.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#46 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'll buy physical games until they're no longer available.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

i buy digital and physical games on my ps5 xsx and nintendo switch

Avatar image for deactivated-62a8d05d77a44
deactivated-62a8d05d77a44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-62a8d05d77a44
Member since 2021 • 19 Posts

As of 2 years ago, I am done with buying games on physical format. It was a long battle to stick with physical games, but it just isn't practical anymore for me.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 951 Posts

Yup, still prefer physical if given the choice

Lumine6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points