Anyone conflicted about buying next-gen console at launch or in 2014?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I have a PS4 pre-ordered and I'm looking forward to waiting at midnight to get on November 15th. Might pick up Killzone and whatever is free on PS+. But that said, there isn't a lot that I'm looking forward to on both next-gen systems, Xbox One included. Don't get me wrong, Dying Light looks cool, Destiny and TitanFall could be my next big multiplayer addiction, and Metal Gear Solid 5 is, well its Metal Gear I'm a huge fan so I'll be there on day one.

But,...all of these games are coming out on current gen consoles for the most part. Yup, every game I mentioned above is coming to 360 at least, most of them PS3 (except Titanfall of course)

I'm so-so on InFamous. Second Son looks great but I got pretty bored with the first InFamous on PS3 and never gave the series much of a chance admittedly.

There doesn't seem to be many games coming out for PS4/Xbox One from launch all the way until sometime in 2014 that truly are next-gen games. I mean, if all the games I mentioned above technically run on 360/PS3 but are just prettier on new consoles, why pay money to get a new device if it literally will be doing the same things consoles I already have can do?

I suppose there could be a huge title like a new Uncharted revealed out of nowhere (probably the VGAs) but I can't see any major titles from MS or Sony coming out any sooner than Fall 2014 because,..well that's just what they do. Hold major titles for the holiday season. I figure if there was something less big coming out in the spring/summer 2014 we'd know about it. Yea, like I said InFamous looks good but what else will there be that is next-gen only?

The lack of first party announcements for 2014 disturbs me and makes me question my PS4 purchase this holiday. I mean, if the best, truly next-gen games that were built from the ground up for next-gen consoles (sorry Forza/Killzone) don't arrive until late 2014 wouldn't that be a better time to buy a new console?

Is anyone else doubting their next-gen purchase like me? Or tell me why you think either console (Xbox One/PS4) will be a great purchase for what it can do this year, not necessarily what it has the potential to do in the future. Or, if you're holding out to buy one until a year or so down the road let me know your thoughts on it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
No point of getting either consoles at launch,imo. I'd wait at least a year to get some worthwhile games
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

I'm not concerned about the lack of games. I would expect those prices to stick for awhile (MSFT might drop a SKU w/o Kinect if they get outsold enough). I'm waiting till early Spring due to work schedule. But the games will come regardless, if you have the money go ahead and jump into either one.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I'm holding out for at leat a year because:

1. I'm not made of money. By the time the first year has gone by, there will hopefully be some more deals on the systems and more games that make use of the hardware better.
2. There are a lot of previous gen games I still haven't gotten to that I want to play, and even if I did'nt want to play those titles for whatever reason, I'm quite certain GTA V and Dark Souls II are all I need to have a good time.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bonesawisready5

I'd say the console most likely to get a price cut first is the PS4 but that depends on if it sells super well, or just average. The Xbox One has Kinect built into all of its core functions so I doubt it ever gets a non-Kinect bundle. I imagine both consoles will take until 2015 to drop $100 but I could be wrong obviously

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

im gonna wait until next year sometime.. maybe after E3 or somthing

zombehhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 zombehhhhh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts

I'm going to try to pick up a PS4 as soon as possible, depending on finances/availability, but I'm not too pressured to get into the next generation very quickly. I want to play Battlefield 4, Killzone, Infamous, and a couple others but I didn't even preorder the PS4 so it doesn't look too promising. If I have enough money to buy an Xbox One when Halo 5 comes out, I might buy the bundle (because it's highly likely they'll release a Halo Xbox One bundle).

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

No point of getting either consoles at launch,imo. I'd wait at least a year to get some worthwhile gamesMonsieurX

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

My focus is on gaming, not hardware.

I get hardware only when I must, to access a particular software.

Avatar image for Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Enfamous_Mr_BHC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Enfamous_Mr_BHC
Member since 2013 • 177 Posts

I'm in the same boat TC, I love sports game specifically football and next-gen Madden looks like the same ish gameplay wise and I also love fighters but Killer Instinct isn't going to do it for me. I think it's best to hold out until more of the games I like to pick up release. I bought both previous system from Microsoft and Sony at their launch days and played games I normally wouldn't because of hype. I won't do the same financial mistake again.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I'm definitely having second thoughts right now. I have a PS4 preordered but I feel like I can stay with my 360 for another year or so... that and I've been wanting to build a PC for a while now, so putting the console money towards that is something I'm seriously considering. I really just don't know what the right move to make is here... it's kind of frustrating. 

blaze_adeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 blaze_adeel
Member since 2008 • 933 Posts
i m gonna wait till uncharted is announced on ps4 or titanfall (fingers crossed) so basically after E3 next year
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#13 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

I'm not conflicted at all; don't plan to get either one for quite some time.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bonesawisready5

I'm definitely having second thoughts right now. I have a PS4 preordered but I feel like I can stay with my 360 for another year or so... that and I've been wanting to build a PC for a while now, so putting the console money towards that is something I'm seriously considering. I really just don't know what the right move to make is here... it's kind of frustrating. 

Vari3ty

You're basically in the same situation as me, minus the building a PC part.

There are still some 360 games I have yet to play. Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored. I'm hoping to get some serious milage out of GTA Online once it starts working too. Not to mention Fable Anniversary next year. Heck, I could even buy MGS5 on my 360.

If Sony had confirmed PS3 playback via streaming as a feature to come in early 2014 on PS4 and at least let us know how it would work, I might be tempted to simply wait to play the PS3 versions of Tomb Raider, Bioshock, and Dishonored on my PS4 via Gaikai.

I don't know, I'm constantly flip flopping on the issue. The only way I can see a PS4 purchase at launch being worthwhile is if I just drop my 360 entirely (not sell it though) and move most of my gaming onto there.

Not to mention the fact that the Wii U/3DS lineup is stacked as it is throughout early-mid 2014 and I'm buying countless games on those two systems anyway. I don't know, I think I'll wait until Black Friday ads leak in early November before I decide whether to can my PS4 pre-order. 

I'd like to add that I really hope Sony gets PS3 streaming on PS4 right. I mean, if we have to purchase $50 versions of PS3 games and not have a physical disc? That sounds lame. Maybe a $7 fee to stream an unlimited amount of PS3 games a la Netflix? That might work but ideally I'd like to be able to put a PS3 game into my PS4, have the PS4 at least read the game's name then fetch the game from the cloud and play it that way. They could even have it to wear the system verifies that you have the physical disc in the system every hour or so (of gameplay) since you need to be connected to the web anyway to stream them.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bonesawisready5

i m gonna wait till uncharted is announced on ps4 or titanfall (fingers crossed) so basically after E3 next yearblaze_adeel

Yea, I keep thinking the Uncharted announcement will make me buy a PS4 that day,...but obviously they'll announce the game a year or so before release. I wouldn't be shocked if UC4 is announced at the VGAs.

I think I just have to go cancel my PS4 pre-order and bite the bullet already. Watch, I cancel my PS4 reserve and then my current gen consoles break lol.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

bonesawisready5

There are still some 360 games I have yet to play. Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored. I'm hoping to get some serious milage out of GTA Online once it starts working too. Not to mention Fable Anniversary next year. Heck, I could even buy MGS5 on my 360.

If Sony had confirmed PS3 playback via streaming as a feature to come in early 2014 on PS4 and at least let us know how it would work, I might be tempted to simply wait to play the PS3 versions of Tomb Raider, Bioshock, and Dishonored on my PS4 via Gaikai.

I don't know, I'm constantly flip flopping on the issue. The only way I can see a PS4 purchase at launch being worthwhile is if I just drop my 360 entirely (not sell it though) and move most of my gaming onto there.

Not to mention the fact that the Wii U/3DS lineup is stacked as it is throughout early-mid 2014 and I'm buying countless games on those two systems anyway. I don't know, I think I'll wait until Black Friday ads leak in early November before I decide whether to can my PS4 pre-order. 

I'd like to add that I really hope Sony gets PS3 streaming on PS4 right. I mean, if we have to purchase $50 versions of PS3 games and not have a physical disc? That sounds lame. Maybe a $7 fee to stream an unlimited amount of PS3 games a la Netflix? That might work but ideally I'd like to be able to put a PS3 game into my PS4, have the PS4 at least read the game's name then fetch the game from the cloud and play it that way. They could even have it to wear the system verifies that you have the physical disc in the system every hour or so (of gameplay) since you need to be connected to the web anyway to stream them.

I'm quite skeptical of streaming games. I mean sure, you can do it, but it's entirely dependent upon how good your connection is and how good the servers are as well. If anything goes wrong with that connection there can be lag or you might not even be able to connect at all. Between the choice of streaming a title or playing it on local hardware, I'd choose the latter every time. 

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bonesawisready5

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Vari3ty

I'm quite skeptical of streaming games. I mean sure, you can do it, but it's entirely dependent upon how good your connection is and how good the servers are as well. If anything goes wrong with that connection there can be lag or you might not even be able to connect at all. Between the choice of streaming a title or playing it on local hardware, I'd choose the latter every time. 

Me too. My PS3 broke last year and there are games I really want to play on it. If I can nab a PS3 for a good price this black friday I just may do that

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#18 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I have the XBox One preordered for launch and I'm really excited about it. The games I have preordered are Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed 4, and Forza Motorsport 5. So to me, it's a great launch lineup. I'm also excited to see what happens with my other favorite franchises for the next generation: Halo, Splinter Cell, Dead Space, and Mass Effect.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#19 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

No. I've never seen a need to get a console at launch. Wait a year or 2, when the system is cheaper, older games sell for about $15, and there's enough of a back log to get you through a draught.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

why pay money to get a new device if it literally will be doing the same things consoles I already have can do?

bonesawisready5

Sounds like you answered your own question. I'm holding out for a good year or two until PS4 builds a solid catalog. I'm fine catching up on current gen games I missed and playing next gen titles like MGS 5 and BF4 on PS3 as long as I can get them cheap a few weeks after launch when all the hype dissipates.

The main reason I would never buy a console at launch is because of all the LOD errors that plagued the start of current gen. Plus I'm pretty sure a PS4 Slim is in the works later down the line. Next gen consoles are going nowhere and will always be around whenever you're ready to purchase. The question is, will you feed into the hype and pay more now or wait for price drops, get GOTY editions and pay less later?

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

i think i'd just buy it next year after a price drop or something.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I'd be happy to buy a PS4 at launch, but for me there are simply no games worth the asking price
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No i think it is the right time for me to get a X1 at launch because there are tons of games i want to experience on the console.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

I'm waiting at least a year before getting either console. To begin with I'm a student and I dont have the money, and also pretty much all the next gen games I want will be available on PS3 anyway.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I canceled my PS4 pre-order.  Not because I don't want one, but because at this point I would rather put the money towards a new car and PC parts.

bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bonesawisready5

Yea, I'm leaning towards canning my PS4 pre-order. Who knows, maybe they'll drop the price to $299 next holiday and release a big game like Uncharted 4.

If all these great 2014 games like MGS5, Dying Light, Destiny, TitanFall were next-gen exclusive and not shipping on PS3/360 I'd be singing a different tune though.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#27 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I bought a new graphics card instead and saved cash and I'll continue saving cash with the cheaper game prices. The consoles seem to be a bit underwhelming.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I have a PS3, Wii U, and 3DS right now and it looks like I'll be very busy with those three well into 2014. Given that and the lineups of the PS4 and Xbox One, I don't see myself getting either of those any time soon.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#29 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I will be tempted to get a PS4 near-launch, but I'm really only looking forward to a couple of launch/near-launch games. I'll still be playing PS3 stuff well into 2014 anyway.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Not conflicted at all. I don't see any games worth buying them for, and the prices are way too high either way. Plus I've already decided never to support Sony or Microsoft again because of their policies (paid to play online, DLC whoring, etc). I bought my Vita used specifically to avoid giving Sony money.
LurkerNoMore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LurkerNoMore
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I'm taking a very cautious, wait-and-see approach with the Xbox One, so I definitely won't be buying that console before 2014. I would like to buy a PS4 at or around launch, but lack of available funds and a massive backlog are likely to keep me waiting on that as well.
M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Nope not conflicted at all. My only interest is a PS4 and I'll probably be getting one at some point next year. 

I usually wait till the games are more varied. 

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

Nope im just waiting for it to be delivered 

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

Nope im just waiting for it to be delivered 

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
I actually don't feel the same pressure just because i'm not getting either of the systems at launch. It always seems pointless to get a console at launch. You gotta wade through console bugs, slow software releases, plus how many of your friends are getting the system at launch with you? How many people you plan on playing with other than a handful? As far as i know, i'd be one of the only people in my circle getting a new console if i decided to do so. Plus, i don't have $500 to drop on a new console. There are definitely other forms of media that i can get more entertainment out of than a new console.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

Not really. They play games, and I like games.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#38 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Not me. Pre-ordered my PS4, along with Killzone: Shadow Fall and Watch Dogs.

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#39 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Not me. Pre-ordered my PS4, along with Killzone: Shadow Fall and Watch Dogs.

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

There's no conflict with me at all.  I have no intention of getting any new console any time soon.  Normally I'm chomping at the bit to get at least one of the new consoles asap.  This time however I just don't see anything that makes me want to be an early adopter, the new consoles just look like extensions and mash-up's of things we have already had a dozen times over (with very VERY few exceptions).

Don't get me wrong, I will eventually get a PS4 at the very least, but it will be father out from release than any other console launch than ever before for me.

Ironically enough, the Steam Machine may end up being my "console of choice" this generation.  Being able to make full use of Steam with all the ease of use and accessibility of a console, and theoretically being able to circumvent a lot of the shady business practices that have been taking place on the console landscape are major selling points for me.

keech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 keech
Member since 2003 • 1451 Posts

There's no conflict with me at all.  I have no intention of getting any new console any time soon.  Normally I'm chomping at the bit to get at least one of the new consoles asap.  This time however I just don't see anything that makes me want to be an early adopter, the new consoles just look like extensions and mash-up's of things we have already had a dozen times over (with very VERY few exceptions).

Don't get me wrong, I will eventually get a PS4 at the very least, but it will be father out from release than any other console launch than ever before for me.

Ironically enough, the Steam Machine may end up being my "console of choice" this generation.  Being able to make full use of Steam with all the ease of use and accessibility of a console, and theoretically being able to circumvent a lot of the shady business practices that have been taking place on the console landscape are major selling points for me.

Insert-Coin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Insert-Coin
Member since 2013 • 52 Posts

I think I'll sit this one out for the reasons above and considering what happened with last gens consoles either breaking early or having core features removed plus they have lost the pick up and play angle.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17853 Posts
im not making the mistake i made last gen of buying all the consoles at or close to launch. i will be getting a wiiu sometime in 2014 (basically when X comes out). i probably wont pick up a PS4 until 2016-2017 unless something really jaw dropping comes out for it. i'm not sure if i will get an xbox1 at all...see how it goes.
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
Not me. I originally pre-ordered both consoles, but then began thinking that I'd sell one back. But the more I see from both, the less I think I'll be able to get myself to sell one back. So I sort of have the opposite problem.
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
Not me. I originally pre-ordered both consoles, but then began thinking that I'd sell one back. But the more I see from both, the less I think I'll be able to get myself to sell one back. So I sort of have the opposite problem.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

I could wait and assess the situation during fall of 2014.  Only launch game I really want to play is Watchdogs, and I could play that on my 360 if I need to.  With that said I'm hoping the current gen version isn't too dumbed down in case I decide to go ahead and get it.  Probably won't though so I have a backlog when I do get the PS4.

Anyway, the reasons mentioned in this thread all follow my line of thinking.  I don't want to be a test rat for the inevitable new launch console bugs and issues.  Secondly, as stated before I'm just not interested in enough titles to shell out over $400.  And finally I just have other expenses I'd rather use the money on. 

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

Absolutely not, nothing on any of the consoles interests me so far, PC gaming soaks up all of my time anyway and I definitely don't see that changing for a long time.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#48 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

Not even slightly, happily buying a PS4 at launch. Sure there are only a few games that are of interest to me (Resogun, Killzone, watchdogs and maybe ACIV) but I know it's the only console this gen i'll buy and will simply play my PS3 between game releases as I still have loads to play on that.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#49 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i am really looking forward to it. I don't have any problems with it or the games. I am getting the PS4 at launch
skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Going to wait for first price drop or sale and stick with my PC for now. I will be getting a PS4 at some point though. I was going to buy one at launch but now going to wait for reviews first. I was more excited about the 360 and PS3 and have both but then i even didnt buy them at launch and will do the same here.