Mirror's edge 2 cancelled !!!

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Just read news that Mirror's edge 2 has been cancelled in development. I couldn't believe it. I was looking forwadrd to a sequel. Especially since DICE has a new engine to show off. Full article here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/news/mirror-s-edge-2-cancelled/3006

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

Didn't like the first game. Don't really like first-person view.

Sweet_Genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Sweet_Genocide
Member since 2009 • 777 Posts

That's sad news. Kind of saw this coming though.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I've known all along that Mirror's Edge 2 would be cancelled, simply because it's EA. They did similar things many times in the past (Renegade2 ex.), and even though Mirror's Edge has a fanbase, it's not in EAs best interest as far as they are concerned.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

okay tc here.. like a roll up the rim cup lip or 89% of att scratch & win cards

"sorry please try again"

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6298858.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop%3Btitle%3B4

the cancellation was just the old rumormill down at destructoid working over time.. gameinformer and gamespot both agree its a delay.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I have yet to play the first one but it's always a bad thing when potentially good games get cancelled. Especially games or sequels to games that had atleast a breath of originality.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

"sorry please try again"

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6298858.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop%3Btitle%3B4

the cancellation was just the old rumormill down at destructoid working over time.. gameinformer and gamespot both agree its a delay.

ionusX

I saw these afterwards, Im glad its just a delay and not a full on cancellation. But I wrote it like that because it was written like that in the link I provided

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

That's a pitty.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

That's a pitty.

fusionhunter
Well, we don't know yet. It could be delay.. but if it has been officially canceled, that makes me sad. Mirror's Edge, more or less has a cult fan base. And that may not be enough for EA.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I was praising EA just yesterday for going with the ME sequel despite the poor sales of the first, and now EA's gone and done this.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
The strong Dead Space 2 sales will hopefully make Mirror's Edge 2 a top priority for DICE after they are done with Battlefield 3.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I was praising EA just yesterday for going with the ME sequel despite the poor sales of the first, and now EA's gone and done this.

S0lidSnake

Mirror's Edge sold horribly. Why release a sequel to a game very, very few people were interested in? EA should be commended for funding a genuinely innovative first person game, even if they didn't fund a sequel.

IMHO, the mark of a good publisher isn't the willingness to throw good money after bad, butthe willingness to take chances on new ideas and make sequels which make meaningful improvements on the game they came before.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
lol "There were issues with the learning curve, the difficulty, the narrative, and then there was no multiplayer either" - EA I think that about sums up the current state of videogames. It needs to be easy, have stupidly long cutscenes, and online MUST be tacked on. Otherwise good luck getting a publisher. Sad. To be honest I didn't like Mirror's Edge but it was for entirely different reasons.
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#14 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

Mirror's Edge had a lot going for it, but it was majorly let down in two respects: The terrible decision to include gunplay, and the even worse decision to force you to takedown a group of heavily armed soliders numerous times, instead of just being able to run past them. I personally had great fun with the freerunning, parkour aspects of Mirror's Edge, but it got to a point where it was impossible to progress further because I was constantly dying in a hailstorm of bullets. Mirror's Edge 2 would have had to make some important changes to work past these issues.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Yes any moment that involved gunplay was annoying but it was not that frequent (until the end). Luckily 80% of those moments were avoidable without feeling that you needed luck to not get killed while running. Actually I found those ninjas more annoying because they were just as fast as me and it was a game of trial and error figuring out where I was supposed to go in what ended up being a 15 second runaway.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Gotta make that money mang, gotta sellout, always inevitable, if only we had smaller studios who pick up and distribute games .
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CarnageHeart

Gotta make that money mang, gotta sellout, always inevitable, if only we had smaller studios who pick up and distribute games .X360PS3AMD05

Smaller publishers are at least as failure adverse as big publishers because one failure is all it takes to sink them.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

CarnageHeart

Mirror's Edge sold horribly. Why release a sequel to a game very, very few people were interested in? EA should be commended for funding a genuinely innovative first person game, even if they didn't fund a sequel.

IMHO, the mark of a good publisher isn't the willingness to throw good money after bad, butthe willingness to take chances on new ideas and make sequels which make meaningful improvements on the game they came before.

While I agree with you, I do believe that a Mirror's Edge sequel could've been something special. ME1 had some issues, but none that couldn't have been fixed in the sequel. U1 sold a little over 100K copies in its first month, sure it was a slow but steady seller but Sony greenlighted the sequel almost rightaway. Same with the Ratchet game that year, i remember it sold 79K copies in its first month but Insomniac and Sony saw potential and went ahead with the sequel.

For the record, Dead Space sold just as bad. so why do we get a Dead Space sequel and not Mirror's Edge? The only difference i see is the critical reception. DS had a 89 score on Metacrtic while ME has 79.

P.S I blame EA squarely for the way ME1 turned out. You cant release a 6 hour single player game with terrible production values (those Esurance cutscenes still give me nightmares) and no multiplayer for a full 60 bucks in Q4 and expect it to sell well. The cutscenes especially were a EA thing, they simply didnt believe in the game to budget some decent motion capture for the game.

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

The first game was meh... it wasn't bad, but it didn't hold my interest very long...

As for this cancellation... it was not a profitable franchise... thats what happens and sometimes it sucks(Xenoaga getting cut from 6 games to 3 for example)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts
that's too bad, I really liked Mirror's Edge, my guess as to why they did this though has more to do with EA wanting DICE to milk the Battlefield franchise as much as possible... guess EA isn't really that different from Activision after all as for claims that this game doesn't make any money, VG Chartz (yeah, I know it's not 100% accurate), says that the first 10 weeks of sales total over 1 million for Xbox 360 and PS3, and that to date there's over 2 million in just console sales (not including PC), I highly doubt the game lost money and didn't make a substantial profit... but yeah, DICE could probably make more for EA making Battlefield games and people don't really take into account the mistake of releasing Mirror's Edge when it did release, it released in the one month timeframe between mid-October and mid-November 2008, which was the same 1 month period we saw the releases of games like Dead Space, Fable II, Fallout 3, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Left 4 Dead, Gears of War 2, Call of Duty World At War, Far Cry 2, Tomb Raider Underworld, Tom Clancy's Endwar... it was basically the most competitive release window I recall in years, and that's a lot of quality titles, almost too many, and Mirror's Edge wasn't the only title released in this window to suffer from lower than expected sales, probably from too much competition at one time... the effects of this holiday release is still shown in following years, in 2009 holiday releases were pretty slim because publishers didn't want a repeat of 2008, so they pushed the holiday release back to early 2010, which is why we saw so many higher profile releases packed together the first 3 months of 2010 basically, I think Mirror's Edge stood a chance if they'd of planned the release of it out better, and I feel the sequel would have done better if they wouldn't have repeated the same mistake
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

My sources say it wasn't cancelled, rather put on hold since the early version they showed EA was rejected and to let dice work on Battlefield 3. After they're done with the obligatory cookie cutter shooter they can go back to work on the unique game we're waiting for. All is not lost

http://www.1up.com/news/mirrors-edge-2-development-stopped

xxFallenAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xxFallenAngel
Member since 2011 • 753 Posts

Well its not for sure cancelled. I did enjoy the first one.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Mirror's Edge had a lot going for it, but it was majorly let down in two respects: The terrible decision to include gunplay, and the even worse decision to force you to takedown a group of heavily armed soliders numerous times, instead of just being able to run past them. I personally had great fun with the freerunning, parkour aspects of Mirror's Edge, but it got to a point where it was impossible to progress further because I was constantly dying in a hailstorm of bullets. Mirror's Edge 2 would have had to make some important changes to work past these issues.

gbrading

This was the main thing causing me to not have any interest in the game.

This is why I say devs know how to write gamecode, but they've forgotten how to game.:P

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Oh EA.....:(

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#25 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Hopefully, they'll go back to it after Battlefield 3 is over. We need less war FPSs and more Mirror's Edges. Seriously, if we can just stop pumping out the same crap year after year, gamers will finally wake up and go, "Hey, this is cool, too!"
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JustPlainLucas

[QUOTE="gbrading"]

topsemag55

This is why I say devs know how to write gamecode, but they've forgotten how to game.:P

That's not the game's fault. It was a challenge that you could overcome provided you grew skilled at the game. It's one of those zen-like moments where everything slows down and you're dodging and disarming with precision. It's a throw back to the old school gaming where we played hard parts over and over again until we got it right.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
The first one had a lot of problems but could easily have been improved on. Shame there will be no sequel to this or Alpha Protocol.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]

[QUOTE="gbrading"]

JustPlainLucas

That's not the game's fault. It was a challenge that you could overcome provided you grew skilled at the game. It's one of those zen-like moments where everything slows down and you're dodging and disarming with precision. It's a throw back to the old school gaming where we played hard parts over and over again until we got it right.

I got a lot of what you said from the two Drakensang WRPGs. I finished the second at Level 11, because a lot of side-quests were puzzles that were short on description and much too time consuming. Trial-and-error becomes boring fast (especially if each try is taking away some of your health).:o

It took me 30 minutes of judicious tactics to survive the final boss battle.

Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

That's not the game's fault. It was a challenge that you could overcome provided you grew skilled at the game. It's one of those zen-like moments where everything slows down and you're dodging and disarming with precision. It's a throw back to the old school gaming where we played hard parts over and over again until we got it right. JustPlainLucas

Gotta disagree. Game flaws were the problem, not lazy gamers.

Imo the main problem was that the developers went half in and half out when giving Faith the ability to elude her pursuers = she doesn't just run, she fights. But to prevent people from relying on fighting they gimped her ability to fight (very low health, one-use guns). They wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Personally, I found that Faith's fragile state of health encouraged me to fight and use guns more than I normally would have because I got tired of her getting shot in the back so I would eventually resort to just killing/KO'ing all the guards in the area – which allowed me to get through, but ruined the pacing that the developers were trying to create in those area.

Getting through the choke points in the game definitely did not throw me into any zen like states. And this is from a person who loves trial and error games – one of my favorite PS2 games was Siren and I played through it 100%. Obviously, I can take a lot of frustration in my trial and error games. But when I played ME I often found myself wondering, is this challenging or just unnecessarily frustrating? Bottom line, Mirror's Edge was definitely a good game, but it was also definitely a flawed game.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JustPlainLucas

Imo the main problem was that the developers went half in and half out when giving Faith the ability to elude her pursuers = she doesn't just run, she fights. But to prevent people from relying on fighting they gimped her ability to fight (very low health, one-use guns). They wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Personally, I found that Faith's fragile state of health encouraged me to fight and use guns more than I normally would have because I got tired of her getting shot in the back so I would eventually resort to just killing/KO'ing all the guards in the area – which allowed me to get through, but ruined the pacing that the developers were trying to create in those area.

Getting through the choke points in the game definitely did not throw me into any zen like states. And this is from a person who loves trial and error games – one of my favorite PS2 games was Siren and I played through it 100%. Obviously, I can take a lot of frustration in my trial and error games. But when I played ME I often found myself wondering, is this challenging or just unnecessarily frustrating? Bottom line, Mirror's Edge was definitely a good game, but it was also definitely a flawed game.

Solori
Well, I disagree with your disagreement. :) I actually ended up beating the game on Hard, and if I died, it was because it was my fault for not being quick enough. Oh, and the only time I fired a gun was to see what it felt like. The game is actually better if you DON'T use the guns. And Faith isn't meant to take a barrage of bullets. She's not a fighter. She's a runner. The game cannot be more clear than that. You die quickly, because you're supposed to always be moving.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

"sorry please try again"

ionusX
Oh thank Jaga. I was worried there for a while... tempted to rage and throw my netbook.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

Well, I disagree with your disagreement. :) I actually ended up beating the game on Hard, and if I died, it was because it was my fault for not being quick enough. Oh, and the only time I fired a gun was to see what it felt like. The game is actually better if you DON'T use the guns. And Faith isn't meant to take a barrage of bullets. She's not a fighter. She's a runner. The game cannot be more clear than that. You die quickly, because you're supposed to always be moving. JustPlainLucas

I disagree with your disagreement. The game was good, no doubt about that. It was quite unique, too.
That doesn't mean it was without it's number of flaws. I finished the game on hard as well IIRC, but mostly because I'm an achievement w**** (is that word censored btw?)
I really did start to lose interest in it later on.

If they can polish the controls in the sequel I think it'll go from a 7.0 to 8.5-90 here on GS.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

While I agree with you, I do believe that a Mirror's Edge sequel could've been something special. ME1 had some issues, but none that couldn't have been fixed in the sequel. U1 sold a little over 100K copies in its first month, sure it was a slow but steady seller but Sony greenlighted the sequel almost rightaway. Same with the Ratchet game that year, i remember it sold 79K copies in its first month but Insomniac and Sony saw potential and went ahead with the sequel.

For the record, Dead Space sold just as bad. so why do we get a Dead Space sequel and not Mirror's Edge? The only difference i see is the critical reception. DS had a 89 score on Metacrtic while ME has 79.

P.S I blame EA squarely for the way ME1 turned out. You cant release a 6 hour single player game with terrible production values (those Esurance cutscenes still give me nightmares) and no multiplayer for a full 60 bucks in Q4 and expect it to sell well. The cutscenes especially were a EA thing, they simply didnt believe in the game to budget some decent motion capture for the game.

Its worth bearing in mind that as Sony (in response to a questions about why they didn't dissolve Team Ico after Ico's horrendous sales) first parties can focus on game sales a little less than third parties because they get a percentage of every game sold. Third parties live or die based on software sales alone.

*Shrugs* Perhaps the Metacritic score of ME did play a role (I know some publishers tie a team's bonuses to review ratings, which I personally think is horrible, but that's a discussion for another time) though its worth nothing that the strong sales of RE5 meant there could be little doubt about the existence of a market for gory action games, while due to the fact ME had no counterparts, it was still up in the air if there was a market for first person parkour games.

Also, I noticed in a prior thread you tend to blame publishers for game design decisions which you dislike, but IMHO most of the time those errors are made by designers, not publishers. On that note, in interviews the ME design team stated they went with the cutscenes they went with because they wanted their game to look different so it wasn't something forced upon the team by a publisher who sought to cut corners.

-------

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3843/the_philosophy_of_faith_a_.php?print=1

You were saying that the cutscenes are not in the engine.

NC: Yeah, absolutely. So, it's basically sort-of a 2D animated sequence -- cartoon animated, that's the easiest way to describe it. We released the trailers actually on the internet -- and again, it was to give a contrast.

The game is a lot about contrast, you know, contrast in the different levels, and it was really to make them stand out. We wanted people to take notice; we wanted people to look at the story, and understand the story, because that's very important to us. We feel that you have a much stronger experience if you understand why, as you progress, and things change, and there are twists and turns.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

It's a sad day for me. I got all of the achievements from ME1 and love every single minute of it. IMO it's one of the top new IP of this generation.

Some of you write that she was too fragile, could used only one gun with extremely limited ammo. Well - she was designed to be a courier not a killing machine. Speed and agility were her advantages.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

It's a sad day for me. I got all of the achievements from ME1 and love every single minute of it. IMO it's one of the top new IP of this generation.

Some of you write that she was too fragile, could used only one gun with extremely limited ammo. Well - she was designed to be a courier not a killing machine. Speed and agility were her advantages.

shinian
It's a VERY sad day. I was so looking forward to a next installment. They want to put more time into Battlefield 3. It's like they are copying Activision, they took down guitar hero to spend more money on COD. This just sucks. :(
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
The first one had a lot of problems but could easily have been improved on. Shame there will be no sequel to this or Alpha Protocol.Legolas_Katarn
I am more sad about Alpha Protocol not getting a sequel than Mirror's Edge.
gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#37 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

[QUOTE="Solori"]

JustPlainLucas

Well, I disagree with your disagreement. :) I actually ended up beating the game on Hard, and if I died, it was because it was my fault for not being quick enough. Oh, and the only time I fired a gun was to see what it felt like. The game is actually better if you DON'T use the guns. And Faith isn't meant to take a barrage of bullets. She's not a fighter. She's a runner. The game cannot be more clear than that. You die quickly, because you're supposed to always be moving.

I can see your point, and there were numerous points where I tried to simply run, keep moving and avoid the soliders, but there were several levels where, in order to progress, I had to run towards a dozen heavily armed policemen. Simply running past them was impossible because I'd die faster than the speed of light. So I had no option but to try and melee them or disarm them and shoot them. And for me, this completely broke the flow of the game. As much as I wanted to run past, I knew that it would be impossible to get away unless I dealt with the bad guys.

I feel that this is a design flaw within the game, and not just my poor skill (although I admit, I'm not very good :P). For example, I don't feel the same thing about Super Meat Boy. That game was designed by the Devil yes, and damn it for it's impossible difficulty, but it's a game where the player is the only one who makes the mistakes. If you mess up, it was because you weren't fast enough. And for that reason, as much as I hate Super Meat Boy, I can't help but love it as well. :)

Mirror's Edge on the other hand I certainly admire for its innovation and how remarkably engaging the first-person platforming was, but I think it could have been a better game if combat was entirely eliminated.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
hopefully someone steps in and buys it from them
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I have yet to see any official statement saying it is "cancelled." It has always been merely a "brain-child" in the minds of a few DICE employees, it was never an official product being made for release.

I have confidence that it could still be made (and should be), even if it is EA. The potential for a hugely good game is there, as the first one was already hugely good despite its rough edges... and there has been nothing else like it this gen. The first game, I remember, sold enough to please EA (I recall seeing articles about them being happy with sales, and giving the green light to start thinking about a sequel) so I'm not sure where all this rumour-mill stuff is coming from.

nottu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nottu
Member since 2010 • 951 Posts

Hopefully this still gets made. The first one was really good

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#41 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

EA probably want to release the game with a bald headed bulky guy who looks like he bench presses in 3 hour sessions every other evening and speaks in a "man on the edge" voice. The game will come out but disguised and it will be renamed something like "Gun runner!"

Edit: The white clean city will be replaced by shades of grey in a grotty urban setting.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JustPlainLucas

I can see your point, and there were numerous points where I tried to simply run, keep moving and avoid the soliders, but there were several levels where, in order to progress, I had to run towards a dozen heavily armed policemen. Simply running past them was impossible because I'd die faster than the speed of light. So I had no option but to try and melee them or disarm them and shoot them. And for me, this completely broke the flow of the game. As much as I wanted to run past, I knew that it would be impossible to get away unless I dealt with the bad guys.

I feel that this is a design flaw within the game, and not just my poor skill (although I admit, I'm not very good :P). For example, I don't feel the same thing about Super Meat Boy. That game was designed by the Devil yes, and damn it for it's impossible difficulty, but it's a game where the player is the only one who makes the mistakes. If you mess up, it was because you weren't fast enough. And for that reason, as much as I hate Super Meat Boy, I can't help but love it as well. :)

Mirror's Edge on the other hand I certainly admire for its innovation and how remarkably engaging the first-person platforming was, but I think it could have been a better game if combat was entirely eliminated.

gbrading
Well, the odd thing to me is that the game became easier for me when I played it on hard because I knew how to handle those situations the second go around. It meant I got better, and I certainly don't view that as a design flaw. I actually enjoyed some of the forced combat (melees and disarms, not shooting mind you) because when you could do it, it flowed like water. It was an exhilarating experience.
Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

Well, I disagree with your disagreement. :) I actually ended up beating the game on Hard, and if I died, it was because it was my fault for not being quick enough. Oh, and the only time I fired a gun was to see what it felt like. The game is actually better if you DON'T use the guns. And Faith isn't meant to take a barrage of bullets. She's not a fighter. She's a runner. The game cannot be more clear than that. You die quickly, because you're supposed to always be moving. JustPlainLucas

I disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement. :)

I played the game a long time ago but I still remember one part in particular where Faith had to make her way up to scaffolding that was at the top of a large multi-leveled round open area and run across the room while being shot at from all sides/levels to escape the room. This was an area where it was impossible to take out all the guards because they spawned at various levels below faith when she reached certain points at the top of the room. The path that Faith had to take was very linear. The only thing that prevented Faith from reaching her goal was whether or not she was randomly shot in the back while running across the top of the room. This was dependent on small differences in where the AI spawned when they were triggered = luck not skill. When I got shot in the back I knew I had died a random death. When I made it across the room, I knew that I had just gotten lucky that the AI had not spawned in a one shot kill angle.

Definitely the game was better when you didn't use guns. That was the big design flaw here, the developers shouldn't have put in the gunplay. Obviously, they felt they needed to compete with the shooters out there by having shooting in their game. They should have focused only on the running instead of splitting their focus.

Anyway, its good to hear that the news of cancellation was wrong, and there is still a chance that a sequel will be made. Even though the game had its flaws, it was fun. I would love to see a sequel where they focused only on the running and just gave up on the gunplay.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts
I hope we do see a sequal. Ideally the platforming difficutly can be toned down on easier settings or given a more free running feel rather than stoping to have to think about how you progress in certain sections. I agree about the action sequences as well. It would be nice to see the ability to run past guards or just disarm them rather than sometimes having to kill them which seems against the whole Faith as a character idea. Hopefully this is a good move that its delayed to get Mirrors Edge 2 where it needs to be but by the sound of the Gamespot article I won't be holding my breath given how the game sounds like its pretty much done by the sound of the developer from Dice.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 S0lidSnake

Its worth bearing in mind that as Sony (in response to a questions about why they didn't dissolve Team Ico after Ico's horrendous sales) first parties can focus on game sales a little less than third parties because they get a percentage of every game sold. Third parties live or die based on software sales alone.

*Shrugs* Perhaps the Metacritic score of ME did play a role (I know some publishers tie a team's bonuses to review ratings, which I personally think is horrible, but that's a discussion for another time) though its worth nothing that the strong sales of RE5 meant there could be little doubt about the existence of a market for gory action games, while due to the fact ME had no counterparts, it was still up in the air if there was a market for first person parkour games.

Also, I noticed in a prior thread you tend to blame publishers for game design decisions which you dislike, but IMHO most of the time those errors are made by designers, not publishers. On that note, in interviews the ME design team stated they went with the cutscenes they went with because they wanted their game to look different so it wasn't something forced upon the team by a publisher who sought to cut corners.

-------

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3843/the_philosophy_of_faith_a_.php?print=1

NC: Yeah, absolutely. So, it's basically sort-of a 2D animated sequence -- cartoon animated, that's the easiest way to describe it. We released the trailers actually on the internet -- and again, it was to give a contrast.

The game is a lot about contrast, you know, contrast in the different levels, and it was really to make them stand out. We wanted people to take notice; we wanted people to look at the story, and understand the story, because that's very important to us. We feel that you have a much stronger experience if you understand why, as you progress, and things change, and there are twists and turns.

CarnageHeart

I believe having cartoons instead of actual motion capture is a cheap way of doing things (financially speaking but in ME's case it was also a poor choice), and I figured (incorrectly as your link points out) that EA wouldnt give them a decent enough budget to make Uncharted or Heavenly Sword esque cutscenes.

The reason why I blame EA or Sony is not because they are just publishers, it's because they own these studios and are directly involved in at least the planning stages of the game. DICE is owned by EA, if EA doesnt front the bill, DICE cant make Mirror's Edge 2. Now something like Mass Effect is different. Here EA is just a publisher for a Bioware game, they have no say in the development.

A perfect example of a publisher interfering in the design/development process would be Sony mandating 3D and Move capability in Killzone 3. You can read the lead designer's interview on Eurogamer and he clearly says that they ran out of time and resources. It is obvious that some guy in a suit up in Sony headquarters decided its flagship franchise should have 3D and Move over online coop, and the developers had no choice but to do so.

I agree that it's easy for a first part publisher like Sony to suck up losses unlike EA, in retrospect, I shouldn't have made the Uncharted and Ratchet comparison.

Jacen22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jacen22
Member since 2010 • 664 Posts

Is Mirrors Edge really that good?? I have the game in my collection gave it a whirl for about 10 min and then put it down and played something else and have never touched the game again. The way you guys are talking about it i am thinking about giving it another shot

ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

EA probably want to release the game with a bald headed bulky guy who looks like he bench presses in 3 hour sessions every other evening and speaks in a "man on the edge" voice. The game will come out but disguised and it will be renamed something like "Gun runner!"

Edit: The white clean city will be replaced by shades of grey in a grotty urban setting.

Evil_Saluki

God I really hope we dont see anything like this. A good joke as long as it stays just that...a joke. I really want to see a sequel to this game and I hope it retains all that made the first one so great. I also guess im in the minority here who thought the combat system was perfect the way it was.

Cyrez60659

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Cyrez60659
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts
Awww man this game better get made. ME is one of the very few games that was actually innovative, interesting and fun (with its own unique art style). I liked everything about the first one; the parkour, the combat, even the shooter elements (which everybody seems to complain about for some reason). Am I the only person who liked pulling off a few headshots whilst running? Personally, I think every FPS should have that kind of freedom of movement, but then again I say the same thing about third person shooters/platformers ever since I played Assassin's Creed.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JustPlainLucas

I disagree with your disagreement of my disagreement. :)

I played the game a long time ago but I still remember one part in particular where Faith had to make her way up to scaffolding that was at the top of a large multi-leveled round open area and run across the room while being shot at from all sides/levels to escape the room. This was an area where it was impossible to take out all the guards because they spawned at various levels below faith when she reached certain points at the top of the room. The path that Faith had to take was very linear. The only thing that prevented Faith from reaching her goal was whether or not she was randomly shot in the back while running across the top of the room. This was dependent on small differences in where the AI spawned when they were triggered = luck not skill. When I got shot in the back I knew I had died a random death. When I made it across the room, I knew that I had just gotten lucky that the AI had not spawned in a one shot kill angle.

Definitely the game was better when you didn't use guns. That was the big design flaw here, the developers shouldn't have put in the gunplay. Obviously, they felt they needed to compete with the shooters out there by having shooting in their game. They should have focused only on the running instead of splitting their focus.

Anyway, its good to hear that the news of cancellation was wrong, and there is still a chance that a sequel will be made. Even though the game had its flaws, it was fun. I would love to see a sequel where they focused only on the running and just gave up on the gunplay.

Solori
I remember all too well that particular segment, but I don't remember randomly spawning enemies. I also remember, though, passing that segment on my first try in Hard, so I'm inclined to think that once I knew how to get past that part, I was able to do it again with no problem. \

Is Mirrors Edge really that good?? I have the game in my collection gave it a whirl for about 10 min and then put it down and played something else and have never touched the game again. The way you guys are talking about it i am thinking about giving it another shot

Jacen22
Give it another go. Try not to play it as a shooter.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

-------

S0lidSnake

I believe having cartoons instead of actual motion capture is a cheap way of doing things (financially speaking but in ME's case it was also a poor choice), and I figured (incorrectly as your link points out) that EA wouldnt give them a decent enough budget to make Uncharted or Heavenly Sword esque cutscenes.

The reason why I blame EA or Sony is not because they are just publishers, it's because they own these studios and are directly involved in at least the planning stages of the game. DICE is owned by EA, if EA doesnt front the bill, DICE cant make Mirror's Edge 2. Now something like Mass Effect is different. Here EA is just a publisher for a Bioware game, they have no say in the development.

A perfect example of a publisher interfering in the design/development process would be Sony mandating 3D and Move capability in Killzone 3. You can read the lead designer's interview on Eurogamer and he clearly says that they ran out of time and resources. It is obvious that some guy in a suit up in Sony headquarters decided its flagship franchise should have 3D and Move over online coop, and the developers had no choice but to do so.

I agree that it's easy for a first part publisher like Sony to suck up losses unlike EA, in retrospect, I shouldn't have made the Uncharted and Ratchet comparison.

You didn't provide a link, but the first Eurogamer KZ3 interview that came up on google indicated that 3D was the designer's choice and that they were kicking around Move support. I found two other interviews, but in none of them did Guerilla claim that 3D and Move weren't its idea.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/killzone-3-interview?page=2

Eurogamer: Was 3D always part of the plan?

Steven Ter Heide: Absolutely. The first thing we looked at was whether it was just a gimmick or if it would actually offer something different. So we implemented it and looked at it, and for me, I can't go back. We know it's not going to be for everyone, because not everyone's going to have a 3D set at the time, but I do think that in terms of gameplay it offers something different, something new, because you do have that sense of immersion, you're drawn into that world. You're able to read the gameplay a lot better, for FPS obviously the world is very detailed and there's lots going on so you can look around corners etc. But also for things like racing games, Motorstorm is coming out in 3D, you can read the road a lot better and, something that I never personally liked is being inside the car, but now I can actually inside the car and drive, so I think it really adds to the gameplay as well.

Eurogamer: So talking about immersion, can you tell us anything about Move? Will there be Move aspects to Killzone 3? Is it compatible?

Steven Ter Heide: We really like Move as a platform, but we're not talking about any of that stuff today

I'm not saying they are always on the side of the angels, but judging by most developer's comments Sony and in modern times EA are hands off publishers. That's not always a good thing (sometimes indisciplined developers like Yamaichi need a kick in the butt to keep thing moving along) but if one is working with skilled, disciplined developers, that's a good thing which results in high quality, innovative games rather than a bunch of cookie cutter games which all conform to the publisher's limited vision of good.