Do achievements add to the game play experience?

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Poll Do achievements add to the game play experience? (42 votes)

Yes 57%
No 43%

I thought about adding a maybe but I want people to think a bit more by simply answering yes or no.

Whilst I do recognise there are lots of factors involved, this question can still be answered as a yes or no as it is a theoretical and about a universe where achievements were never invented and a binary choice forces you to think more deeply about what you think about the real benefit they add to the gameplay sphere.

Before achievements, gameplay mechanics would rarely be seen across different game genres so to call them a mechanic at all could be considered a misnomer.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

To me they do the exact opposite. I mean, while it's interesting to get an achievement I hate how they dictate how to play the game and encourage an uniform experience across players. Would rather see achievements becoming more intelligent not just a collection of preset goals.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Depends on if you notice them or even give them much thought if you do

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

It depends.

Personally I turn all notifications off when I play so my experience doesn't get disrupted, but there are certain games where the achievements can serve as challenges for the person playing. Kingdom: New Lands is a good example of this, as many of the achievements are focused around unique challenges (Don't run for so many days) and speed runs of sorts (escape the island in X number of days) which I thought were a neat addition. I went back and attempted the challenges after I had already run through the game a few times and I thought it was fun to do so. This is pretty rare though. I'll usually glance through the achievements once I've completed a game or played enough just to see if there are any interesting ones.

I've never really understood the inclusion of 'progress achievements' since they are basically awarded for just playing the game. The Simpsons game from a while back had an achievement for pressing start on the main menu, although that was pretty funny.

I think this is a 'to each their own' kind of deal. I have never played a game just to gain achievements, but I do know plenty of people who could be classified as 'achievement hunters' and they seem to enjoy it.

yubsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By yubsy
Member since 2018 • 2 Posts

I used to think achievements were pretty useless, and if anything, got in the way. However, I recently played through the Bioshock Collection and made it a point to get all the achievements in the game. It was surprisingly fun. Granted the Bioshock series is straight up one of my favorites, but I I found the achievements to be the perfect amount of challenge in order to merit another play through. Some of them were interesting and forced interesting play styles. After this experience, I think achievements are great for second play throughs, but I'd still rather enjoy the game on its own the first time around.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#5 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think achievements do add more to games. Challenging yourself to accomplish things that you normally wouldn't in a game is fun.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

These days, they just slam achievements as part of a linear progression.

Why not achievements that sparks my interest to explore the game a bit more? Some do it right, some do it wrong.

Slyddar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Slyddar
Member since 2018 • 7 Posts

Sure, gives you something to aim for.

rtehrani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 rtehrani
Member since 2003 • 1485 Posts

They are just a tool that developers use to keep u playing the game, in my opinion. The more u play a game the more likely u are to spend on dlc/microtransactions. They are worthless to me.

But I guess some people are obsessed with them. To each their own.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

kinda, only if done good though. They might give you ways to play that add to your experience. Like, in Borderlands, I had no idea you can damage enemies by jumping on them. With the funny Mario trophy I went off my way to do it.

However, the metagame between the games is totally screwed if you consider how easy you can get some of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

Congratulations! You earned a trophy for using logic! HaHa! I do agree with you. My biggest pet-peeve when it comes to achievements are the ones you receive for literally doing what you are supposed to do. Congratulations, you just won a trophy for completing the introduction. Seriously? I didn't even do anything!? What are your thoughts about trophies that appear when you complete the game, but the final scene isn't finished?

@phbz said:

To me they do the exact opposite. I mean, while it's interesting to get an achievement I hate how they dictate how to play the game and encourage an uniform experience across players. Would rather see achievements becoming more intelligent not just a collection of preset goals.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@jackamomo: I have never bothered with them at all. They’re a joke, playing a video game an achievement? It’s just a game to pass the time!

Avatar image for deactivated-5fda9d56d5960
deactivated-5fda9d56d5960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

User Lists: 19

#13 deactivated-5fda9d56d5960
Member since 2005 • 679 Posts

With next gen coming up I’ve been wondering what will happen with achievements. They went a little overboard with them. All you really need is one completion achievement per game with maybe % on it or something. Not 50 for a single game. There are so many they’ve become meaningless. It really needs to be reimagined and refreshed for the next gen.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2144 Posts

Yes, if the achievements are reasonable and I like the game, they act something like a guide to experience everything the game has to offer.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

Imo they absolutely do, I think the experience is a lot better and it helps keep track of the progress in games.

ganondorf77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 ganondorf77  Online
Member since 2005 • 632 Posts

It depends. When you put achievements in stuff that you would normally do while playing like sp Tomb Raider or even worse, broken sword 5, then it's crap. When you are forcing every combination of gameplay possible then it's crap, like Civ games, where you are asked to play with every single Civ in every single map size and difficulty, so there are 50 civs*10 sizes*10 difficulties, so 5000 achievements are fucking crap.

Now when achievements are true to the word, like kill 3 in a row with sniper or you have found this specific stuff to do that's not mandatory, like the different secret little rooms in Portal, or all the radios and cameras in portal, or win the race in hl2, then they are more than fine.

Chronogos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chronogos
Member since 2014 • 392 Posts

Trophies definitely add to the gameplay experience for me. On PS4, I bought the HD remaster of some old favorites: Twisted Metal Black, Cel Damage and GTA3. I've been playing these games for decades now, and in addition to having them now in HD, trophies are a very welcome addition. Trophies add extra challenge to the games, which makes them more challenging and I get more "bang for my buck". It's fun to have the added challenge of unlocking trophies, even if it's an old game you've played already. Sometimes I learn things about the games I didn't previously know!

toad1956

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 toad1956
Member since 2004 • 1127 Posts

Achievements, for me, is just more ways to play the game and gives the game more life. Not all achievements in a game have a real need for. For example getting an achievement for your first kill???? 🙄

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

Holishit people bump this thread all these years and its still not locked. Could be the new lounge.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

Some are fun to unlock after you finished the game. Your first playthrough you are probably focusing on the story and not looking to get trophies but after finishing the game it can be fun going back and collecting some.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7252 Posts

Not at all for me I play games for the gameplay achievements and trophies are just a nice extra. I never play a game solely for the achievements.