POKEMON FUN FACTS --That you just might've not known about--

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

99xFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 99xFatal
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
All the grass starter pokemon are based upon dinosaurs / reptiles. When using "Minimize", STOMP becomes more accurate as every other move become more inaccurate. Rhyhorn has the same cry as Charizard. In R/D Lickitung couldn't learn Lick. Cranidos can't learn Skull Bash. Girafarig can be spelled backwards. Turtwig's cry sounds as if it's saying "Turtwig", listen extremely closely.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Here's one. Golett, Golurk, Vullaby, Vanillite, Vanillish, and Vanilluxe were the first Pokemon to be created by a western designer, James Turner.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of any of these.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Some pokemon evolve if they know a certain move. I did not know this until yesterday when someone in the game told it to me. I was shocked.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Mewtwo comes before Mew.

KingBowser91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KingBowser91
Member since 2007 • 2638 Posts

spell ekans backwards and you have : snake

do the same for arbok en you have : kobra

ArticUNO zapDOS molTRES = UNO DOS TRES

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pixel-Perfect

Rotom = Motor backwords. :o

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

KingBowser91
What about Muk? :P
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZumaJones07
[QUOTE="KingBowser91"]

Blabadon
What about Muk? :P

what about him?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

Here's one. Golett, Golurk, Vullaby, Vanillite, Vanillish, and Vanilluxe were the first Pokemon to be created by a western designer, James Turner.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of any of these.

Pixel-Perfect
i like golurk :P
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Deino Zweilous Hydreigon

EIN ZWEI DREI

1, 2, 3 in German.

The names of the 6 sages of Team Plasma are actually colors in different languages.
Zinzolinwalkdown.pngZinzolin - French for Violet
Gormwalkdown.pngGorm - Gaelic for Blue
Broniuswalkdown.pngBronius - German for Brown
Giallowalkdown.pngGiallo - Italian for Yellow
Ryokuwalkdown.pngRyoku - Japanese for Green
Roodwalkdown.pngRood - Dutch for Red

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ANIMEguy10034

Some facts about N:

Spr BW N.png

N is the only trainer from the main series games not fought in a Battle Tower or Battle Frontier to use a legendary pokemon on his team, and the only trainer to use an event pokemon.

N uses 15 of the 17 types of pokemon, only not using Poison or Ghost type pokemon.

N is fought more times than any other villainous team leader. He's also the only villainous leader to keep his Japanese name.

N speaks very quickly, as indicated by the fact that his dialogue is printed faster than that of other characters and by Cheren's comment upon first meeting him: "Slow down. You talk too fast." He also speaks of metaphors about formulas and equations.

N is a badass mofo.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BrunoBRS

Some facts about N:

Spr BW N.png

N is the only trainer from the main series games not fought in a Battle Tower or Battle Frontier to use a legendary pokemon on his team, and the only trainer to use an event pokemon.

N uses 15 of the 17 types of pokemon, only not using Poison or Ghost type pokemon.

N is fought more times than any other villainous team leader. He's also the only villainous leader to keep his Japanese name.

N speaks very quickly, as indicated by the fact that his dialogue is printed faster than that of other characters and by Cheren's comment upon first meeting him: "Slow down. You talk too fast." He also speaks of metaphors about formulas and equations.

N is a badass mofo.

ANIMEguy10034

N is a stupid name. if you can call that a "name".

N has the silliest, most hypocrite objective any villain team has had in pokemon history.

he's also kinda in love with the main character, which makes it pretty awkward when you choose the guy :|

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ANIMEguy10034

MOAR: (I love doing these :P)

The Champions

VSBlue.png

Blue is the only character that as been a Rival, Gym Leader, and Champion.
Blue is the only rival whose father has not been seen.
Blue is the only Gym Leader who does not specialize in a specific type.

VSLance.png

Lance has battles with 2 illegal pokemon: the Aerodactyl that knows Rock Slide that he uses in Gold, SIlver, and Crystal, and the Dragonite that knows Barrier in Red and Blue. Furthermore, all his Dragonite from Gen 2, as well as the double battle against Team Rocket and the first battle against him in Gen 4, are underlevelded.

Not all of his pokemon are dragon type even though his type theme is Dragon. In fact, all of his pokemon are part flying type.

Dispite taking place 3 years later, all of Lance's pokemon are at a lower level in Gen 2 than they were in Gen 1.

RS Steven.png

Steven's role in Emerald is similar to Red's role in Gen 2 and Heartgold/Soulsilver, as they both are former champions who can be battled after defeating the Elite 4. The only difference is that Steven can't be rebattled, while Red can be.

In Pokemon Emerald, when the player speaks to him in Meteor Falls before their battle, he makes an error. He talks of their encounter in the Sootopolis City Space Center. The Space Center is actually in Mossdeep City, and this dialog may result from the encounter the player has with him in Sootopolis in Ruby and Sapphire.

E-Wallace.png

Wallace is the only Champion whose entire team is his specialty type.
Wallace is the 2nd champion to use the same type as one of the regional gym leaders, the first being Lance and Clair.
A number of Wallace's lines before, during, and after the player's battle with him in Pokemon Emerald are extremely similar to Steven Stone's at the same time periods in Ruby/Sapphire. In particular, the line Wallace says upon defeat is the same as Steven's, only with references to elegance added.

VSCynthia.png

Cynthia is the only female Champion.
In the games, Cynthia's pokemon have perfect, all 31, IVs.
Cynthia has made an appearance in 4 consecutive pokemon games. Diamond/Pearl, Platinum, Heartgold/SoulSilver, and Black/White (I counted paired games as one since they're extremely similar to eachother).

Cynthia is my favorite champion. Fact. :P

VSAlder.png

In the Japanese version of Black and White, Alder speaks in old-fashioned Japanese.
Alder is the only regional Champion that can only be battled after the main storyline is completed.
While he does not specialize in a specific type, 3 of his 6 pokemon are bug type.
Alder is the only champion whose identity as the regional champion is revealed before the player challenges him in the Pokemon League.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ANIMEguy10034

N has the silliest, most hypocrite objective any villain team has had in pokemon history.

he's also kinda in love with the main character, which makes it pretty awkward when you choose the guy :|

BrunoBRS

I wonder what "N" stands for. It could probably be the first letter of his real name.

Hmm... I agree and disagree with you. Separating pokemon from humans isn't as sinister as stealing pokemon, controlling pokemon to flood the world/cause a massive drought, or creating another universe while destroying the current one, but Ghetsis's main objective was to rule the world with his pokemon while everyone else didn't have any pokemon to defend themselves or go against him. He managed to brainwash the grunts, the sages, and his own son to do all the dirty work for him. And N did manage to befriend a legendary pokemon, something previous villainous leaders weren't able to do. I give them props for that. :P

Oh god... That ferris wheel ride with N was the most awkward moment in the entire game. :lol:

EDIT: I just realized that "N Harmonia" could be related to "enharmonic." I assume Junichi Masuda is the one responsible for naming N. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 deactivated-5b31d3729c1fa
Member since 2007 • 11536 Posts

Girafarig can be spelled backwards. 99xFatal

mind = blown :shock:

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
Jeff Gerstmann likes Koffing.
Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts
@ANIMEguy: N Harmonia could also be "in harmony" As for trivia off the top of my head, Sunkern has the lowest base stat total (180, I believe). However, Sunkern is also able to be one of the best Pokeathelon Pokemon, in that it is able to get 5 stars in all categories.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blabadon
Fire Pokemon are strong against Wood types. Don't believe me? Look at the FRLG Video Review.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZumaJones07
Something else I found out was that each generation, there is a pokemon whose stats are boosted a little in comparison to the rest of the pokemon. Dragonite, Garchomp, Salamence, Tyranitar, Metagross, and Hydreigon are in this pseudo-legendary category.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

ANIMEguy10034

I wonder what "N" stands for. It could probably be the first letter of his real name.

Hmm... I agree and disagree with you. Separating pokemon from humans isn't as sinister as stealing pokemon, controlling pokemon to flood the world/cause a massive drought, or creating another universe while destroying the current one, but Ghetsis's main objective was to rule the world with his pokemon while everyone else didn't have any pokemon to defend themselves or go against him. He managed to brainwash the grunts, the sages, and his own son to do all the dirty work for him. And N did manage to befriend a legendary pokemon, something previous villainous leaders weren't able to do. I give them props for that. :P

Oh god... That ferris wheel ride with N was the most awkward moment in the entire game. :lol:

EDIT: I just realized that "N Harmonia" could be related to "enharmonic." I assume Junichi Masuda is the one responsible for naming N. :P

he wants to free pokemon of their trainers... by being a trainer himself. he loves to point fingers at people and yet he does the exact same thing as them. he's the biggest hypocrite in pokemon history. in fact the whole story of black made me grind my teeth in annoyance, especially considering it had some potential until they became obvious villains with obvious fascist lines that not even fascists would be caught saying. and then there's the whole "rival almost dry humping you as he proves to be a bigger and bigger hypocrite." seriously? "i'll be evil to pokemon so no one else can be evil to them?"
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrunoBRS
Something else I found out was that each generation, there is a pokemon whose stats are boosted a little in comparison to the rest of the pokemon. Dragonite, Garchomp, Salamence, Tyranitar, Metagross, and Hydreigon are in this pseudo-legendary category.ZumaJones07
i thought they were called "super pokemon".
ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

Bronzong and Bronzor comes from a Japanese legend about a farmer's wife donating her bronze mirror to a temple to be melted down into a bell. She deeply regretted this decision and only her mirror never melted down representing a selfish attachment to the object, thus leading to Bronzong's Heatproof ability. The lady then drowned herself out of shame of being discovered who the mirror belonged to and she left a letter saying that after her death, the mirror can finally be melted down to a bell and whoever is strong enough to break it will be rewarded with riches by her ghost. Many people took this seriously and rang the bell, eventually the monk became annoyed by all the constant ringing going on in the temple and rolled the bell down into a swamp, never to be seen again....or was it? Take a look this Pokédex entry for Bronzong "One caused a news sensation when it was dug up at a construction site after a 2000-year sleep." One should be cautious when battling it, there will be hell to pay

Torterra is based on the world turtle that supports the world on its back. It's also resembles a snapping turtle and an ankylosaurus

Farfetch'd was apparently inspired from a legend of a wild duck that carried a green onion, which would appear in forests to offer itself up as a meal for starving travelers. But this legend does not appear in Eastern mythology. It more likely comes from the term Kamo ga negi wo shotte kuru, literally meaning 'a duck comes bearing green onions'. The phrase can be shortened simply to kamo negi... which, when written in katakana, is Farfetch'd's Japanese name. Farfetch'd is also an allusion to the idiom: something not asked for, but very convenient. In Red/Blue you have the chance to acquire the very rare Farfetch'd for a common Spearow, a very literal translation of that saying. Also it's interesting to note that duck and green onion (which Farfetch'd is carrying) makes for some good duck stew.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pixel-Perfect

[QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]Something else I found out was that each generation, there is a pokemon whose stats are boosted a little in comparison to the rest of the pokemon. Dragonite, Garchomp, Salamence, Tyranitar, Metagross, and Hydreigon are in this pseudo-legendary category.BrunoBRS

I've never heard that term.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="ZumaJones07"]Something else I found out was that each generation, there is a pokemon whose stats are boosted a little in comparison to the rest of the pokemon. Dragonite, Garchomp, Salamence, Tyranitar, Metagross, and Hydreigon are in this pseudo-legendary category.Pixel-Perfect

I've never heard that term.

really? nintendo power, at least here, calls the overpowered pokes "super". *points at giant database poster* IT SAYS RIGHT HEAR. :P
martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

this thread reminds me how much i love pokemon :)

Hegna1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hegna1
Member since 2007 • 6118 Posts

Stomp gains power, not accuracy. It still has a low chance to hit a minimized target, just will deal significantly more (double) damage.

EDIT: @Pseudolegendary discussion: It's a fan term only. It refers to pokemon at the end of the pokedex with 3 stage evolutions which usually require end-game items (HMs for example) They tend to have higher stats, but that's essentially a part of the definition for the fan term. Nintendo obviously wants to make a few late game pokemon that are stronger and are rewarding to train despite the extra effort near the end of the main game, it's simple game design policy to make stuff obtainable later the stronger stuff (in any game really). Nintendo has never called them pseudolegendaries that I know of.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZIVX

This was also pretty interesting

Generation V later

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ANIMEguy10034

Picnicker Carol designed Munna!

:o :o :o :o

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pixel-Perfect

ANIMEguy10034

Or it came from her dream... or something. :P

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ANIMEguy10034

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

Pixel-Perfect

Or it came from her dream... or something. :P

I still think some trainers are undercover GAME FREAK employees.

Fry Meme

I'M LOOKING AT YOU YOUNGSTER JOEY!! NO ONE CAN LOVE SHORTS THAT MUCH UNLESS YOU'RE SECRETLY WORKING WITH GAMEFREAK!

Ruby Sapphire Youngster.png

:P

anchorboy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 anchorboy7
Member since 2010 • 156 Posts
I'm loving thes keep it up
Alan-ex-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Alan-ex-
Member since 2007 • 559 Posts

Articuno and Deoxy's cry sounds almost the same (at least to me)

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ZIVX

Jirachi the wish pokemon is inspired by a shooting star and a Japanese festival that takes place on the seventh day of the seventh month called Tanabata. On that festival wishes would be written on paper notes and hung from bamboo, which inspired the streamer hanging from Jirachi. The festival spurs from this legend...Once upon a time there was a princess named Orihime who was the daughter of the King of Heaven, who would weave cloth for her father on the banks of the Milky Way (River in Heaven). The princess then became lonely from all the hard work and one day the King of Heaven introduced her to a cowherd named Hikoboshi, from the other side of the river and they eventually fell in deep love. But they were so much in love that they stopped doing all their work, whiched anger the King of Heaven, and he used the Milky Way to seperate the two lovers. Orihime saddened weeps caused the King of Heaven to reconsider and allowed the lover to meet up once a year on the seventh day of the seventh month. But if the weather was bad then they could not meet each other, so they would pray and wish that everything would be all right on that special day. Anybody who made a wish on this day would also have it granted. Orihime is represented by the star Vega, and Hikoboshi by the star Altair, these are the highest and brightest stars in the summer sky. They say that on a clear day, the stars will shine many different colors show that the lovers have successfully met with one another.

Castform is based on teru teru bozu which directly translates into shiny shiny Buddhist priest. Teru teru bozu is an old Japanese tradition of hanging a charm outside of the house as a way to encourage good weather. If you hang the charm upside down, that would then ecourage rain. Today these charms are still comon and have become popular with children. In modern times they are commonly seen to be made out of tissue and elastic bands. Like the one below

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ZumaJones07
Pikachu has a great trainer (no not ash)
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
OMG, hahahahahahahaha, I really liked the old fat grumpy Pikachu!!!
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BrunoBRS

http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/halolz-dot-com-pokemon-cavesafro.gif

just wondering how many others thought this when they first saw that guy.

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ZIVX

^^ LOL never noticed that before

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ZumaJones07
 just wondering how many others thought this when they first saw that guy.BrunoBRS
OMG this totally reminded me how you could change the color scheme back in Red/Blue. That was awesome but hurt your eyes after a while.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] just wondering how many others thought this when they first saw that guy.ZumaJones07
OMG this totally reminded me how you could change the color scheme back in Red/Blue. That was awesome but hurt your eyes after a while.

? all i remember is that the cities changed colors based on their names, which was rather interesting :P
pikaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 pikaby
Member since 2006 • 12720 Posts

Rhyhorn has the same cry as Charizard

Caterpie has the same cry as Goldeen

Wigglytuff has the same cry as Poliwhirl

FancyRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FancyRaptor
Member since 2011 • 110 Posts

Clefairy was originally going to be the mascot.
Xatu is the only Pokémon whose name begins with an X.
Mew was the first trademarked Pokémon.
Pocket Monsters was trademarked after Mew.
Before the changes in Pokémon Red and Blue, Gyarados's original name was going to be Skullkraken.
Kokoon was the prototype name for Kakuna.

Mew is (as far as I know) the only Pokemon with real-world whereabouts.
Remember the diary in Cinnabar Mansion?
The explorers were searching locations in Guyana.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ZumaJones07
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]? all i remember is that the cities changed colors based on their names, which was rather interesting :P

"Use the following trick when playing the game on a Game Boy Color. Press Down + B + Select (as can be done with any classic Game Boy Game) to change the color scheme to match that found normally in the Red version of the game. Note: This does not change anything in the game except its appearance." Source: http://www.chaptercheats.com/cheat/gameboy/603/Pokemon-Red/hint/7447/#ixzz1UPsXAlEP ChapterCheats After looking it up, I do remember it being a universal thing that worked with most games. I need to find a video though.
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ANIMEguy10034

FancyRaptor

Eww.

As "cute" as it is, it's definitely not mascot material.

035Clefairy.png

Looks too... normal... and bland... :?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="FancyRaptor"]

ANIMEguy10034

Eww.

As "cute" as it is, it's definitely not mascot material.

035Clefairy.png

Looks too... normal... and bland... :?

it's a normal type. no normal type deserves any sympathy.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Blabadon

While I have some time, here's some:

There were only 3 Dragon Types first gen- the Dragonite line.

There was only 1 Dragon Move then- DragonRage. Thus it was impossible to do super-effective Dragon damage.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pixel-Perfect

There was only 1 Dragon Move then- DragonRage. Thus it was impossible to do super-effective Dragon damage.

Blabadon

Only one line of Ghost types too.

rapidshot20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rapidshot20
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]

Pixel-Perfect

Only one line of Ghost types too.

I played the 1st gen to death how have i missed this.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

Blabadon
Weren't Charizard and Gyarados Dragon types also? Or are you talking about pure dragon types?
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pixel-Perfect

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]

hydralisk86

Weren't Charizard and Gyarados Dragon types also? Or are you talking about pure dragon types?

Charizard is Fire/Flying, Gyarados is Water/Flying.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="hydralisk86"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]

Pixel-Perfect

Charizard is Fire/Flying, Gyarados is Water/Flying.

relevant.

also relevant.

WARNING: LANGUAGE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR THE WEAK.

also...

NOT. FULLY. REALIZED. DRAGONS!

salamence?

GET THE **** OUTTA HERE, WE'RE OG.