Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:
Opportunistic killings. And while I agree that criminals will always find ways to get their hands on guns were they truly determined, the black market nevertheless presents a barrier in placing an extra inconvenience to overcome, an inconvenience that may be just enough to prevent an opportunistic murderous impulse to kill that can be easily realized when you’re looking at such ease of access as pulling an AR-15 off your grandparent’s wall, or taking a stroll down to the town’s gun store.

You typically need a connection to the black market, and many of these high school dweeb murderers wouldn’t have the faintest idea where to begin. These shooters are not the hardened criminals who live in the underworld and prosper by knowing the connections of their trade. So I don’t lend much credence to the argument that if you remove guns legally, these shootings would continue as criminals can still get guns.

I'm all for getting guns out of the hands of maniacs, but this isn't even remotely true, what you're saying here.

You don't need a connection. Like, at all. I don't want to get into it overmuch, because at some point a certain someone (not you, of course), could get ideas.

There are places in every major city; not just in major cities, but these are the most accessible. And I don't mean "invite only" places. I mean F-uck Boys, Young Boys, Trash Pickers (not the roadside dudes, mind you), etc. You can be strolling in SoMa, see a NASTY hat, ask one question. You don't even need to ask. You can just look at dude, and they'll read that shit. You can access through parlors, through hand-offs, walk-bys. Your connect is their connect. It happens fast. You can start at dusk, be teethed up by nightfall, racks and all. And these days, it's easier than ever.

And the mass shootings you're talking about are just those televised. Every day blank face shots don't make the news. There are countless illegal firearms out there with teardrops that never get on TV, and that nobody hears about.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17706 Posts

@nod_calypse said:

I'm all for getting guns out of the hands of maniacs, but this isn't even remotely true, what you're saying here.

You don't need a connection. Like, at all. I don't want to get into it overmuch, because at some point a certain someone (not you, of course), could get ideas.

There are places in every major city; not just in major cities, but these are the most accessible. And I don't mean "invite only" places. I mean F-uck Boys, Young Boys, Trash Pickers (not the roadside dudes, mind you), etc. You can be strolling in SoMa, see a NASTY hat, ask one question. You don't even need to ask. You can just look at dude, and they'll read that shit. You can access through parlors, through hand-offs, walk-bys. Your connect is their connect. It happens fast. You can start at dusk, be teethed up by nightfall, racks and all. And these days, it's easier than ever.

And the mass shootings you're talking about are just those televised. Every day blank face shots don't make the news. There are countless illegal firearms out there with teardrops that never get on TV, and that nobody hears about.

The fact remains, many of these killings are not committed by criminals. They are committed by law abiding citizens right up until the moment they snap and wreak havoc, then kill themselves. Many of these transgressors are children living at home, with no social circles or ability, people who are barely able to look a female in the eyes, smile, and say "hello".

It is not nearly as easy as you portray it for the demographic that is largely responsible. You can make the argument it's easy, but nothing is as easy as walking into a gun store or grabbing a gun that their guardians are too irresponsible to lock down. Look at each of these major shootings and tell me how they attained their firearms. You're really going to make the argument that it would have been just as easy for these perpetrators to achieve their destructive ends were these weapons heavily restricted?

I don't buy it at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@MirkoS77 said:
@nod_calypse said:

The fact remains, many of these killings are not committed by criminals. They are committed by law abiding citizens right up until the moment they snap and wreak havoc, then kill themselves. Many of these transgressors are children living at home, with no social circles or ability, people who are barely able to look a female in the eyes, smile, and say "hello".

It is not nearly as easy as you portray it for the demographic that is largely responsible. You can make the argument it's easy, but nothing is as easy as walking into a gun store or grabbing a gun that their guardians are too irresponsible to lock down. Look at each of these major shootings and tell me how they attained their firearms. You're really going to make the argument that it would have been just as easy for these perpetrators to achieve their destructive ends were these weapons heavily restricted?

I don't buy it at all.

No offense, but it's just not a reality you know about. I could go out tonight, and come home with a stack of guns, no questions asked, no waiting, nothing. Mind you, I would NEVER do that, I'm a lawful person, with legal arms. But regardless, anyone who's spent any amount of time in the streets in their life knows how to go about it. And like I said, these days it's easier than ever. Sad, and scary.

And there are a metric ton of criminals shooting people. Every single day. Hunter's Point, Macon, Augusta, Flint, Springfield, Montgomery--on and on and on and on. These do not get televised. Many don't even get reported. There are areas where everyone is holding, and no one has paperwork. Again, you don't know about this stuff, and that's no knock on you, at all. I spent years in the projects, and inner-cities. The amount of stick up kids with filed ratchets is effing insane.

What you see on TV is what the media wants you to see. Of course mass shooters on the tube typically obtain legally, because the news is tailored, straight up. Far and away, that's not what gun death looks like in this country. Blank face kills are the norm, not what you see on CNN.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14838 Posts

They found him dead. At least the town can start to open up.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3752 Posts

@nod_calypse said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@nod_calypse said:

I don't buy it at all.

No offense, but it's just not a reality you know about. I could go out tonight, and come home with a stack of guns, no questions asked, no waiting, nothing. Mind you, I would NEVER do that, I'm a lawful person, with legal arms. But regardless, anyone who's spent any amount of time in the streets in their life knows how to go about it. And like I said, these days it's easier than ever. Sad, and scary.

And there are a metric ton of criminals shooting people. Every single day. Hunter's Point, Macon, Augusta, Flint, Springfield, Montgomery--on and on and on and on. These do not get televised. Many don't even get reported. There are areas where everyone is holding, and no one has paperwork. Again, you don't know about this stuff, and that's no knock on you, at all. I spent years in the projects, and inner-cities. The amount of stick up kids with filed ratchets is effing insane.

What you see on TV is what the media wants you to see. Of course mass shooters on the tube typically obtain legally, because the news is tailored, straight up. Far and away, that's not what gun death looks like in this country. Blank face kills are the norm, not what you see on CNN.

Yeah, everyone's a lawful person, until they aren't.

What is the point of your post, that somehow the prevalence and ease of access to guns in this backwards country isn't really the problem is so obviously is?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By MirkoS77

@nod_calypse said:
@MirkoS77 said:

I don't buy it at all.

".....anyone who's spent any amount of time in the streets in their life knows how to go about it."

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Many of these killers are not street kids, they are sheltered, social inepts who hole up, fester in solitude, nurturing their hatreds, and commit crimes of passion done out of sheer opportunism in the ease of availability of tools that enable them to enact it. In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that the knowledge they have that such ease of access to firearms in their life is a driving factor in their motivations to act out.

Don't conflate general daily crimes committed with guns to mass killing such as Sandy Hook or Parkland to support your point. They are very different in both motive and circumstance.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44724 Posts

I know right now the obvious attention on this shooting and its causality is gun control, and maybe even the shooter's MAGA affiliation. It was mentioned he was treated for hearing voices. He was a US Army reservist for 18 years.

So, I had a friend deployed overseas, also in Army reserves. He explained to me how they'd be routinely given black label medication for combating malaria, black label being something about its FDA safety rating due to notably higher risks and severity of adverse side effects. One of these risks is essentially irreparable brain damage and deterioration. These drugs were only supposed to be used in cases of extreme emergency to malaria exposure, and they were routinely and casually given these doses for the length of their tours.

Due to the brain damage the drug caused, common symptoms include hallucinations that people suffering for them will experience for life. He said, a common hallucination sounds like the scene from Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, when they're checking into thr hotel on LSD and suddenly they're surrounded by lizard people. Perhaps there's an hidden aspect to the story that's gone unexplored is all I'm trying to say. I just think in a time of heightened finger pointing, and people talking about causality, that at least deserves to be explored as a potential factor.

Curious if anybody had any thoughts in my earlier take. Because if this is an important contributing factor then there could be countless others like ticking timebombs, people who also have untreated mental conditions who also have weapons training, and a health issue needs addressing.

Of course it might help greatly to have effective and meaningful weapons control. But, doesn't seem politically feasible, perhaps addressing health issues is a more pragmatic option.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8788 Posts

I guess he was found dead. Suicide. They found his body near the Androscoggin River.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34811 Posts
@DEVILinIRON said:

I guess he was found dead. Suicide. They found his body near the Androscoggin River.

Good, good. He will be remembered as a low life and a coward. Well, until the inevitable next shooting that will happen in a few days or weeks. Too bad they didn't help or restrain him before he went out and killed people. Him being insane, hearing voices and military background was apparently known beforehand.

"Meanwhile, President Joe Biden said he would do everything in his power to "end this gun violence epidemic"

Yeah, sure.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3527 Posts

Maybe god told him to do that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@tjandmia said:
@nod_calypse said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@nod_calypse said:

I don't buy it at all.

Yeah, everyone's a lawful person, until they aren't.

What is the point of your post, that somehow the prevalence and ease of access to guns in this backwards country isn't really the problem is so obviously is?

@MirkoS77 said:
@nod_calypse said:
@MirkoS77 said:

I don't buy it at all.

".....anyone who's spent any amount of time in the streets in their life knows how to go about it."

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Many of these killers are not street kids, they are sheltered, social inepts who hole up, fester in solitude, nurturing their hatreds, and commit crimes of passion done out of sheer opportunism in the ease of availability of tools that enable them to enact it. In fact, I'd go so far as to argue that the knowledge they have that such ease of access to firearms in their life is a driving factor in their motivations to act out.

Don't conflate general daily crimes committed with guns to mass killing such as Sandy Hook or Parkland to support your point. They are very different in both motive and circumstance.

Respectfully, you're both missing my point, entirely. This is my fault. Please let me clarify concisely.

Legally obtained firearms is not the problem. If you take guns from law abiding citizens, you leave them vulnerable to criminal attack. The mass shootings on TV are AWFUL and my heart hurts for everyone involved. The reality of the matter is that these mass shootings are a drop in the bucket when compared to the reality of gun violence in this country that is constituted from ID filed firearms AKA, illegally obtained. Black markets sells, and the repercussions, go unnoticed, as they are largely not televised, because they do not fit the tailoring of the media. Stick-up kids are not the only demographic, so to speak, that is perpetuating this violence either. The violence spreads out of hazard zones with ease, every day, all over the US. Home invasions, robberies, kidnappings, assaults, etc.

Again, the problem is the illegal firearm trade. The killings and other such crimes committed by individuals possessing unregistered guns goes largely unnoticed, as it under reported, or else not reported at all. Passing laws against law abiding citizens will do nothing to harm the illegal trade. Politicians, bureaucrats, Wash, etc., need to go after the black market if they expect positive results. I've explained in a previous reply how this is done, or rather how it can be done. We need to get a handle on unregistered firearms, not registered firearms. Once more, with respect to the dead or injured, the mass shootings on TV are a very small piece of the overall picture. This is not, mind you, me saying that we cannot have a hard look at individuals with a history of violence and other public-endangering issues, and making it more difficult for them to obtain guns. But that needs to be a HARD look, i.e., not compromised by sect bias.

On a last note, this is the US. It is not like other countries. There is a large portion, up to half the population, that will not budge on guns. They see it as constitutional, which it is: the founders of this country wanted us to have firearms, or, at the least, to have legal access to them, indefinitely, with full integrity reflected in the integrity of the Constitution itself. There is no arguing this point; it does not expire with time. The large portion of this country that clings to the 2nd amendment, the right to bear arms, does so because they know that if you allow for the altering of said amendment, just like any other, then the slope becomes slippery indeed. But this is almost besides the point. If you go after the people that are legally holding firearms, as in drastically, they will fight you. First it will be with their voice, their consent, or lack of, and then, if it persists and grows to the point of force, it will be physical. It will start a war, which is why any politician or group bent in this direction never succeed, and never will.

Again, go after the illegal firearms trade. That is where the problem is.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3752 Posts

@nod_calypse: JFC Stop it with this stupid canard that if guns are “taken away” no is able to defend themselves. The guns and easy access to them are the problem. The more you get emotional about it and deny it, the longer it’s going to be a problem, and the worse it’s going to get.

Close your eyes and point a finger to any other developed nation in the world and you’ll see how guns and lax safety laws are the problem.

It’s never the obvious with you people. You’ve managed to even politicize this. 🤦‍♂️

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@tjandmia said:

@nod_calypse: JFC Stop it with this stupid canard that if guns are “taken away” no is able to defend themselves. The guns and easy access to them are the problem. The more you get emotional about it and deny it, the longer it’s going to be a problem, and the worse it’s going to get.

Close your eyes and point a finger to any other developed nation in the world and you’ll see how guns and lax safety laws are the problem.

It’s never the obvious with you people. You’ve managed to even politicize this. 🤦‍♂️

No, the problem is largely the illegal firearms trade. I am, however, fully open to taking a hard look at criminality history and otherwise public endangering with respect to the legal ease of obtaining firearms.

Again, for law-abiding citizens, obtaining firearms should always be streamlined. This is constitutional. The founders of this country wanted it this way, indefinitely. They wanted it for a very good reason.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts
@nod_calypse said:
They see it as constitutional, which it is: the founders of this country wanted us to have firearms
Again, for law-abiding citizens, obtaining firearms should always be streamlined. This is constitutional. The founders of this country wanted it this way, indefinitely. They wanted it for a very good reason.

The founders of this country wanted us to vote but you and your ilk have no trouble throwing up hurdles to that.

Why the hypocrisy?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178885 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:
They see it as constitutional, which it is: the founders of this country wanted us to have firearms

The founders of this country wanted us to vote but you and your ilk have no trouble throwing up hurdles to that.

Why the hypocrisy?

The founders wanted a well-regulated militia. If gun fetishists knew the actual history, they'd know why those words were chosen and what they meant.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 br0kenrabbit

@LJS9502_basic said:

The founders wanted a well-regulated militia. If gun fetishists knew the actual history, they'd know why those words were chosen and what they meant.

They also wanted statehouses selecting the president, women not voting and blacks in chains. Those founding fathers, you just can't question their moral and intellectual superiority.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

Why the hypocrisy?

I don't want you to vote?

Interesting. I was unaware.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@LJS9502_basic said:

Militia, to go against the government if the gov gets buck wild. Which it is doing now.

And

the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Gee, I wonder what that second part means.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@br0kenrabbit said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

They also wanted statehouses selecting the president, women not voting and blacks in chains. Those founding fathers, you just can't question their moral and intellectual superiority.

Ah, yes, the old "I can't argue against this point--------->so I'm going to start talking about racism" approach.

Clockwork.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 br0kenrabbit

@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Ah, yes, the old "I can't argue against this point--------->so I'm going to start talking about racism" approach.

Clockwork.

Ignoring the other 2/3rds of the post. Typical.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 br0kenrabbit
@nod_calypse said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Militia, to go against the government if the gov gets buck wild. Which it is doing now.

Actually, if you read their notes and discussions, it wasn't about that at all. It was about them Indians and them British.

/eyeroll

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By br0kenrabbit
@nod_calypse said:

It's more legwork every decade. Shouldn't it be 'streamlined', as you suggest?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

It's more legwork every decade. Shouldn't it be 'streamlined', as you suggest?

Uh, yes? No problem with that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Actually, if you read their notes and discussions, it wasn't about that at all. It was about them Indians and them British.

/eyeroll

No. It was about any invaders, regardless of time, condition, and so forth. It's not as if the founders were just like, "Hey, we'll ensure protection for a while, and then not do that anymore down the line". Would make zero sense, obviously.

As for the other, essential purpose, take the words of Jack Rakove, professor of law and PS, Pullitzer winner, etc. (in case you're unaware):

"The idea of a state militia would also be attractive because it serves as a deterrent against

national tyranny. If government forces tried to take over land or

overstep their boundaries, you'd have an institution in place -- the militia -- that would

outnumber any army."

Feel free to argue, of course, but this is the gist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Clockwork.

Ah, yes, the old "I can't argue against this point-------->so I'm going to start talking about racism---------->and then I'm going to double-down on gender issues, and legislature jurisdiction, along with racism, because, you know, this is essential to understanding guns" approach.

Bravo, dude. That is sheer brilliance.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3527 Posts

Honestly who gives a flying **** about what the founding fathers wanted or meant? People living now and today are the ones who should take responsibility for their lives, opinions and decisions. Sounds as stupid as using "god's law" to justify actions or policies.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Clockwork.

Ah, yes, the old "I can't argue against this point-------->so I'm going to start talking about racism---------->and then I'm going to double-down on gender issues, and legislature jurisdiction, along with racism, because, you know, this is essential to understanding guns" approach.

Bravo, dude. That is sheer brilliance.

Here's you, turning historical facts into an excuse to dodge the actual point.

Typical of the uneducated. Are you even old enough to vote?

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By br0kenrabbit
@nod_calypse said:

“Indeed, during the (Revolutionary) war he very frequently lamented the crimes carried out by armed civilians or undisciplined militia against their unarmed neighbors. The solution to these crimes, as he understood it, was to increase the power of the government and the army to prevent and punish them — not to put more guns in the hands of civilians.” - Edward Lengel, on George Fucking Washington

“A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.” -GW

Your turn.

Edit edit edit fucking formatting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

“Indeed, during the (Revolutionary) war he very frequently lamented the crimes carried out by armed civilians or undisciplined militia against their unarmed neighbors. The solution to these crimes, as he understood it, was to increase the power of the government and the army to prevent and punish them — not to put more guns in the hands of civilians.” - Edward Lengel, on George Fucking Washington

“A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.” -GW

Your turn.

Edit edit edit fucking formatting

My turn? You didn't make an argument, lol. This is supporting the baseline.

Lengel is saying that lamentable actions were taken. Increase in structural eminence, meaning the provoked seeing the conclusion of taking the role of the provoker, was put in place erroneously, which is obvious. In other words, a confederacy of dunces doesn't work. I tend to agree.

As for the other, discipline is of course the lifeblood of not only any militia, but moreover any individual that professes defense for himself and his own. Does this prioritize inherent, non-established infrastructure with respect to daily rounds, marked obeisance to upholders, adopters, and authors alike of structural practice, military or otherwise? Again, duh. Nobody worth their salt in the area of homestead defense, and the broader implications, would argue this point.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 br0kenrabbit

@nod_calypse said:

Lengel is saying that lamentable actions were taken. Increase in structural eminence, meaning the provoked seeing the conclusion of taking the role of the provoker, was put in place erroneously, which is obvious. In other words, a confederacy of dunces doesn't work. I tend to agree.

As for the other, discipline is of course the lifeblood of not only any militia, but moreover any individual that professes defense for himself and his own. Does this prioritize inherent, non-established infrastructure with respect to daily rounds, marked obeisance to upholders, adopters, and authors alike of structural practice, military or otherwise? Again, duh. Nobody worth their salt in the area of homestead defense, and the broader implications, would argue this point.

The formula was that the minutemen would drill every weekend. If you didn't show up for drill and didn't have a good reason, they'd throw your ass in jail.

The minutemen eventually evolved into the State National Guard. That's your militia. Not Darrel, Bob and Darryl in the trailer down at the end of the street. 😆😆

And you never answered my question: Are you even old enough to vote?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 MirkoS77

@nod_calypse said:

Respectfully, you're both missing my point, entirely. This is my fault. Please let me clarify concisely.

Legally obtained firearms is not the problem. If you take guns from law abiding citizens, you leave them vulnerable to criminal attack. The mass shootings on TV are AWFUL and my heart hurts for everyone involved. The reality of the matter is that these mass shootings are a drop in the bucket when compared to the reality of gun violence in this country that is constituted from ID filed firearms AKA, illegally obtained. Black markets sells, and the repercussions, go unnoticed, as they are largely not televised, because they do not fit the tailoring of the media. Stick-up kids are not the only demographic, so to speak, that is perpetuating this violence either. The violence spreads out of hazard zones with ease, every day, all over the US. Home invasions, robberies, kidnappings, assaults, etc.

Again, the problem is the illegal firearm trade. The killings and other such crimes committed by individuals possessing unregistered guns goes largely unnoticed, as it under reported, or else not reported at all. Passing laws against law abiding citizens will do nothing to harm the illegal trade. Politicians, bureaucrats, Wash, etc., need to go after the black market if they expect positive results. I've explained in a previous reply how this is done, or rather how it can be done. We need to get a handle on unregistered firearms, not registered firearms. Once more, with respect to the dead or injured, the mass shootings on TV are a very small piece of the overall picture. This is not, mind you, me saying that we cannot have a hard look at individuals with a history of violence and other public-endangering issues, and making it more difficult for them to obtain guns. But that needs to be a HARD look, i.e., not compromised by sect bias.

On a last note, this is the US. It is not like other countries. There is a large portion, up to half the population, that will not budge on guns. They see it as constitutional, which it is: the founders of this country wanted us to have firearms, or, at the least, to have legal access to them, indefinitely, with full integrity reflected in the integrity of the Constitution itself. There is no arguing this point; it does not expire with time. The large portion of this country that clings to the 2nd amendment, the right to bear arms, does so because they know that if you allow for the altering of said amendment, just like any other, then the slope becomes slippery indeed. But this is almost besides the point. If you go after the people that are legally holding firearms, as in drastically, they will fight you. First it will be with their voice, their consent, or lack of, and then, if it persists and grows to the point of force, it will be physical. It will start a war, which is why any politician or group bent in this direction never succeed, and never will.

Again, go after the illegal firearms trade. That is where the problem is.

Well whaddayaknow.....this recent shooter legally obtained his guns. Just like Parkland. Just like Sandy Hook. Just like Las Vegas. Just like Columbine. Just like Uvalde. Just like VT, Just like......would you like me to keep going?

"If you take guns from law abiding citizens, you leave them vulnerable to criminal attack."

You mean the criminal attack that was done with legally obtained firearms? Seems to me if you take away guns from law abiding citizens, you are taking them away from killers who are law abiding citizens right up until the point that they aren't, and take dozens down with them in horror and bloodshed. Your solution doesn't address the problem, it is not the illicit gun market that is arming these scumbags. As seems to be proven time, and time, and time again.

I am not for taking away guns entirely, but I am certainly a proponent of reasonable restrictions to them, not to live in a land where we blanket allow access to weapons of such lethality simply because we cannot understand that the document we base this freedom upon was written in an entirely different time, and that I doubt the founding fathers would've imagined would so manifest as it has. Many of these weapons are unneeded and have no place in a civilized society. I agree with you, guns are hard-baked into the fabric of this nation, there's no removing them entirely nor would I want to, and yes, I do believe our citizenry should be able to afford themselves the means to protect themselves and be the ultimate keepers of this land. But their proliferation and accessibility as it stands is absolute lunacy. I'm a gun owner, and when I walk into the gun store, that's what comes to mind....lunacy. I would very willingly give up my right to what is available currently if it meant the saving of lives. In a heartbeat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

The formula was that the minutemen would drill every weekend. If you didn't show up for drill and didn't have a good reason, they'd throw your ass in jail.

The minutemen eventually evolved into the State National Guard. That's your militia. Not Darrel, Bob and Darryl in the trailer down at the end of the street. 😆😆

And you never answered my question: Are you even old enough to vote?

Uh, yeah, dude, I'm old enough to vote. Are you?

Again, of course. This is baseline. Invasion is an organic structure; thus, naturally, the language was inherently general. Trojan horses exist, otherwise. The founders were obviously not oblivious to this point. Which brings us back around to rounds, obeisance, etc. Transformation does not preclude necessity. The center would of course collapse in that instance.

You need look no further than Montana. But I really do not suggest going deep into them woods.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 br0kenrabbit
@nod_calypse said:

Again, of course. This is baseline.

aka "you're right but I'm going to keep talking anyway. "

Also, this Gamespot Account is old enough to vote, and you have to ask if I am?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

Lol, not looking close at your account, my dude.

Again, you made no argument. The quotes you posted supported the baseline structure for any invasion narrative, complete with militant architecture. Of course the requisite, necessary lifeblood is observed. Why would it not be?

Again, look into Montana. Not joking. But don't go there, unless you don't want to come back out.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 br0kenrabbit

@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

Again, you made no argument. The quotes you posted supported the baseline structure for any invasion narrative, complete with militant architecture. Of course the requisite, necessary lifeblood is observed. Why would it not be?

Again, look into Montana. Not joking. But don't go there, unless you don't want to come back out.

I've been to Montana numerous times. Have you?

The only States I haven't been to are Hawaii, Idaho, Washington and fucking Rhode Island.

This idea that every citizen should be armed is actually relatively modern. No one interpreted the Constitution like that until recently. Even the NRA was originally about regulation, that was their whole raison d'être. This whole madness is less than a century old at this point.

You do also realize that the Second isn't a part of the original constitution, right? Right? It was added later, thus the term AMENDMENT. And it wasn't even the first.

But nothing in it gives wholesale and revocable rights to having guns in the home. You really, really have to twist some shit to get that out of it.

Don't ya?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

I've been to Montana numerous times. Have you?

The only States I haven't been to are Hawaii, Idaho, Washington and fucking Rhode Island.

This idea that every citizen should be armed is actually relatively modern. No one interpreted the Constitution like that until recently. Even the NRA was originally about regulation, that was their whole raison d'être. This whole madness is less than a century old at this point.

You do also realize that the Second isn't a part of the original constitution, right? Right? It was added later, thus the term AMENDMENT. And it wasn't even the first.

But nothing in it gives wholesale and revocable rights to having guns in the home. You really, really have to twist some shit to get that out of it.

Don't ya?

Yeah, grew up for a while in Montana. Had a real good relationship with MOM, before it was MOM. Hint. Still there.

Baseline is structural, dude. None of what you said observes that.

As for the when the second amendment appeared, that is part and parcel of an organic republic. It doesn't work in reverse, or preemptively in terms of cancellation, in a unified sense. Nor any other sense.

As for every citizen being armed being a new thing? You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

George Mason:

“I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people.”

Militia literally refers to the American people as a whole.

Furthermore, the Supreme Court has established that the right to keep and bear arms is an individual right unrelated to one’s status in a militia.

And let's not forget District of Columbia v.Heller

As stated in the case itself:

On June 26, 2008, the Supreme Court affirmed that the Second Amendment guarantees the individual right to keep and bear arms for lawful uses.

The court decision was a breakthrough for Second Amendment rights. It meant that the Founding Fathers’ intention to grant that individual right could not be misinterpreted by those seeking to pass unconstitutional gun control legislation.

This is not an affirmation of new thought; it is a structural analysis of existing thought, as pertains to the intent of founding fathers of the United States. Meaning, as such, that the Supreme Court acknowledges the inherent intent of the clause.

The ruling:

“The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.”

I could go on and on.

You're dead in the water.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 LJS9502_basic

@nod_calypse said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

And

WELL-REGULATED. The young US did not have a military just a small army/marines. Navy was disbanded for a bit after the war. The militia was responsible for protecting their local community and they did have drills. They were also LIMITED in the amount of powder allowed in the home. During the expansion in the west, many towns banned arms brought into town. It was until a rogue Supreme Court changed the reading that we went down this path of destruction against our own people. When the ban was lifted on weapons such as the AR-15 the increase in mass shootings started and it's getting worse. Time for Congress to enact sane gun laws.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@LJS9502_basic said:
@nod_calypse said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

And

WELL-REGULATED. The young US did not have a military just a small army/marines. Navy was disbanded for a bit after the war. The militia was responsible for protecting their local community and they did have drills. They were also LIMITED in the amount of powder allowed in the home. During the expansion in the west, many towns banned arms brought into town. It was until a rogue Supreme Court changed the reading that we went down this path of destruction against our own people. When the ban was lifted on weapons such as the AR-15 the increase in mass shootings started and it's getting worse. Time for Congress to enact sane gun laws.

I'll post here what I posted already.

George Mason:

Furthermore, the Supreme Court has established that the right to keep and bear arms is an individual right unrelated to one’s status in a militia.

And let's not forget District of Columbia v.Heller

As stated in the case itself:

On June 26, 2008, the Supreme Court affirmed that the Second Amendment guarantees the individual right to keep and bear arms for lawful uses.

The court decision was a breakthrough for Second Amendment rights. It meant that the Founding Fathers’ intention to grant that individual right could not be misinterpreted by those seeking to pass unconstitutional gun control legislation.

This is not an affirmation of new thought; it is a structural analysis of existing thought, as pertains to the intent of founding fathers of the United States. Meaning, as such, that the Supreme Court acknowledges the inherent intent of the clause.

The ruling:

“The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.”

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 LJS9502_basic

@nod_calypse: You ignored absolutely everything I said. FYI the National Guard units are the militia.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@LJS9502_basic: Uh, yeah. You're talking nonsense. So.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 LJS9502_basic

@nod_calypse said:

@LJS9502_basic: Uh, yeah. You're talking nonsense. So.

No, I stated facts.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 br0kenrabbit

@nod_calypse said:

As for the when the second amendment appeared, that is part and parcel of an organic republic. It doesn't work in reverse, or preemptively in terms of cancellation, in a unified sense. Nor any other sense.

Oh, but it does. My I introduce the 18th amendment. And the 21st.

Like I said, a very modern interpretation.

100 years ago, you couldn't carry unless you were on your own property. Only exception if were had a badge or were deputized. Carrying a gun downtown would get your ass thrown in jail.

If you were visiting, you usually had to turn your guns into the Sheriff.

Oh, but suddenly we don't care about tradition. 🙄

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

100 years ago, you couldn't carry unless you were on your own property. Only exception if were had a badge or were deputized. Carrying a gun downtown would get your ass thrown in jail.

Dude, we're about the 2nd amendment. The right to arms is grafted. This cannot be preempted per Supreme Court rule.

And what in the world are you talking about modern?

Again, George Mason (do you know who that is?):

And we're talking about HOME defense, largely. War time is an outlier, naturally.

Beyond that, in the literal body of District of Columbia v.Heller it explicitly states that the 2nd is not open to interpretation; it outlines the precise intent of the founding fathers originally.

Observe (again):

Founding Fathers’ intention to grant that individual right could not be misinterpreted by those seeking to pass unconstitutional gun control legislation.

The ruling:

You're buried, my dude. Just accept it.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 br0kenrabbit

@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

Dude, we're about the 2nd amendment. The right to arms is grafted. This cannot be preempted per Supreme Court rule.

And we're talking about HOME defense, largely. War time is an outlier, naturally.

Beyond that, in the literal body of District of Columbia v.Heller it explicitly states that the 2nd is not open to interpretation; it outlines the precise intent of the founding fathers originally.

Observe (again):

Founding Fathers’ intention to grant that individual right could not be misinterpreted by those seeking to pass unconstitutional gun control legislation.

The ruling:

Why don't you add the rest of that Madison quote?

A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country.

Seems you're purposely leaving out the 'well regulated' and 'trained in arms' part. Wonder why?

😆😆😆😆

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 br0kenrabbit

@nod_calypse said:

Grow the **** up. Really?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

Observe (again):

The ruling:

A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country.

Seems you're purposely leaving out the 'well regulated' and 'trained in arms' part. Wonder why?

😆😆😆😆

Dude, again, what in the world are you talking about.

Do you know who George Mason is?

Yes, militia means the people. As in, the people regulating themselves in accordance with their patriotic duty.

"Who are the militia? They consist of the whole people."

Furthermore, Richard Henry Lee. I assume you don't know him, either. Former President of the Continental Congress. Literally, in no uncertain terms, defined militia with respect to the right to bear arms: well trained, regulated, distinct from troops:

"A militia when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, and render regular troops in great measure unnecessary. The powers to form and arm the militia, to appoint their officers, and to command their services, are very important; nor ought they in a confederated republic to be lodged, solely, in any one member of the government. First, the constitution ought to secure a genuine [ ] and guard against a select militia, by providing that the militia shall always be kept well organized, armed, and disciplined, and include, according to the past and general usage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms; and that all regulations tending to render this general militia ― useless and defenceless, by establishing select corps of militia, or distinct bodies of military men, not having permament interests and attachments in the community is to be avoided. …To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…."

Again, you're buried in all this.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 br0kenrabbit

@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

Observe (again):

The ruling:

😆😆😆😆

Yes, militia means the people. As in, the people regulating themselves in accordance with their patriotic duty.

Furthermore, Richard Henry Lee. I assume you don't know him, either. Former President of the Continental Congress. Literally, in no uncertain terms, defined militia with respect to the right to bear arms: well trained, regulated, distinct from troops:

"A militia when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves, and render regular troops in great measure unnecessary. The powers to form and arm the militia, to appoint their officers, and to command their services, are very important; nor ought they in a confederated republic to be lodged, solely, in any one member of the government. First, the constitution ought to secure a genuine [ ] and guard against a select militia, by providing that the militia shall always be kept well organized, armed, and disciplined, and include, according to the past and general usage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms; and that all regulations tending to render this general militia ― useless and defenceless, by establishing select corps of militia, or distinct bodies of military men, not having permament interests and attachments in the community is to be avoided. …To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…."

And again this is for the defense of the country. Not the home. Not the car. The country. These are the principles upon which the State National Guards are founded. That's why they are commanded by the Governor, not the Federal Government.

@nod_calypse said:

Grow up, child.

🙄

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:

Observe (again):

The ruling:

😆😆😆😆

And again this is for the defense of the country. Not the home. Not the car. The country. These are the principles upon which the State National Guards are founded. That's why they are commanded by the Governor, not the Federal Government.

@nod_calypse said:

Grow up, child.

🙄

Literally, you are being willingly oblivious. This is absurd.

The Supreme Court define the intent of the founding fathers:

The ruling:

The President of the Continental Congress defined militia as the people themselves:

A militia when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves

To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them

And, as a special bonus just for you. Thomas Jefferson speaking on assaults, homicides, and individual assailants (not armies):

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

...and speaking on every day walks of the common citizen, holding arms to protect themselves:

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785

....and that people may possess arms alone, by themselves, to use as necessary with discretion:

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

- Thomas Jefferson, letter to to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

George Tucker on self-defense by way of arms for the common man:

"This may be considered as the true palladium of liberty.... The right of self defense is the first law of nature...and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction."

- St. George Tucker, Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England,1803

Samuel Adams himself. Speaking the truth:

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

Patrick Henry. Last but certainly not least, to say the least.

Arms for the common man, as per his own discretion for defense of family and homestead--Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?”

-Patrick Henry, Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution

Yep.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By br0kenrabbit
@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@nod_calypse said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

😆😆😆😆

@nod_calypse said:

Grow up, child.

🙄

Literally, you are being willingly oblivious. This is absurd.

The ruling:

The President of the Continental Congress defined militia as the people themselves:

A militia when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves

To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them

And, as a special bonus just for you. Thomas Jefferson speaking on assaults, homicides, and individual assailants (not armies):

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

- Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

...and speaking on every day walks of the common citizen, holding arms to protect themselves:

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785

....and that people may possess arms alone, by themselves, to use as necessary with discretion:

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

- Thomas Jefferson, letter to to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

George Tucker on self-defense by way of arms for the common man:

"This may be considered as the true palladium of liberty.... The right of self defense is the first law of nature...and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction."

- St. George Tucker, Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England,1803

Samuel Adams himself. Speaking the truth:

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

Patrick Henry. Last but certainly not least, to say the least.

Arms for the common man, as per his own discretion for defense of family and homestead--Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?”

-Patrick Henry, Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution

Yep.

I can copy-pasta, too:

America’s “founding fathers” led an armed population against the British monarchy and won. It is understandable that they saw the way the country was founded as an example of how it should be organized. They were fighters who wanted the ability to keep fighting to preserve their independence. And thus we got bearing arms as a cornerstone American right.

Since the gun control / gun rights debate often tries to discern the intentions of the Founding Fathers to suit polemic purposes (producing countless memes with misquotations), let’s look at some of the actual quotes by the makers of America:

Thomas Jefferson wrote this into the 1776 draft of the Virginia Constitution, the first such document of a state declaring their independence:

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.”

That seems pretty cut and dry until you consider that the second and third drafts of the same document added within his own lands or tenements”to the sentence. It seems Jefferson seriously considered that there should be some limitations on the individual’s right to gun ownership. It makes sense to own a gun for self-defense on your own property, but a different set of issues comes up when this gun is taken into public space.

Another oft-used quote by Jefferson used by gun rights advocates is: “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” Here Jefferson states the basic principle behind rising up against the monarchy – while it’s harder to control and keep stable, a democratic society is preferable to being enslaved, though peacefully. And, as we all know, guns are an excellent instrument for disrupting peace.

The statement can be debated further – is it more moral to live in a society where individual safety is not guaranteed and people often die due to gun violence versus living in a society where you have fewer freedoms, but greater safety for all individuals? Is “freedom” more precious than safety?

While guns are certainly useful in overthrowing monarchs, is individual gun ownership the best way to oppose monarchs or hypothetical tyrants? For argument’s sake, if the main reason to have a gun is to stop a potential dictator, what if people are organized into militias (as the founding fathers advocated) or some such political organization? And these people could have a collective well-guarded stockpile of guns and munitions instead of guns being out there in the world for any random person to use (for purposes having nothing to do with stopping the next Hitler).

The few people who are passionate enough about standing up to the government occasionally do organize themselves in such fashion (like Cliven Bundy’s family). But outside of this anti-tyrannical reasoning, it can be argued that the prevalence and the media attention on gun violence is causing the fear and instability in society that is the perfect breeding ground for a tyrant to exploit.

James Madison actually supports a similar argument for organizing into state militias here:

Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of. Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.”

He essentially believes that responsible citizens skilled in the use of guns who are able to organize into militias provide a barrier against dictatorship.

George Washington also saw some limitations on the role of militias. As Edward Lengel, editor in chief, of the Papers of George Washington project at University of Virginia, said in this interview to Politico:

“Indeed, during the (Revolutionary) war he very frequently lamented the crimes carried out by armed civilians or undisciplined militia against their unarmed neighbors. The solution to these crimes, as he understood it, was to increase the power of the government and the army to prevent and punish them — not to put more guns in the hands of civilians.”

In fact, Washington sent state militias to counter the Whiskey Rebellion of 1794, when Western Pennsylvania citizens led an armed conflict to fight a new whiskey tax. Washington saw the rebellion as being a concern to the central government and praised “citizen soldiers”for dealing with it.

Washington also said that:

“A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.”

Usually, only the first part of this quotation is used – “A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined”. It’s clear that Washington is again talking about citizen soldiers and the need for them to be disciplined and organized, with a plan and concern for safety. It’s doubtful he meant a climate where guns are freely available in 24-hour megastores.

Of course, it often comes down to interpretation. What did the “Founding Fathers” really mean?

In an example, Ben Franklin said this:

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

While it appears to mean something else, this often-invoked quote actually defends the power of a state legislature to impose tax in the interest of collective security. It’s not really about the gun issue at all, but very often appears on self-serving lists of quotes that are used by various activists. This illustrates the danger of reading too much into the words of admittedly great, but long-since-dead people to address the modern issues we, the living, face.

It is safe to say the Founding Fathers definitely saw a role for guns in fighting against or avoiding tyranny (based on their own example and the weaponry available in their day). They also were not the unequivocal, loud gun rights advocates that some would like them to have been.

They were, as we’d like them to have been, wise.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 br0kenrabbit
@nod_calypse said:

You keep bringing this up as if this removes all doubt from any other interpretation. As we have seen with the current Supreme Court, previous Supreme Court decisions are not, in fact, the de facto interpretation of the law.